Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-23-2002, 04:22 PM #1
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

has been a member for 10 years
Talking First Day of Play with my Upgraded Dragun

Woo-damn-hoo!

My baby was a beast on the field today. My friend brought his 99 STO with him and we played great together. My marker was shooting consistently and pretty accurately. I don't have my Equation barrel yet, but as of right now, I am supremely satisfied with the performance of my marker.

Woo-damn-hoo!

Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35

Last edited by abracadabra1 : 03-24-2002 at 06:01 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2002, 05:53 PM #2
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is a Moderator
EvilPopTart is a Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is BST Trusted
EvilPopTart is playing at Living Legends VII
EvilPopTart is Boss
I'm very happy for you, please continue to play and support the sport.

-The Pop-Tart
Old 03-24-2002, 01:23 AM #3
Lethal_Dragun
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My first couple of days weren't so great. First off, when I first got to shoot my E2, the trigger was tuned too tight and it would double fire all of the time. Next, during the double fire, my trigger screws fell out. (I think PI didn't tighten them very well because I have heard that many people have had this problem. Next, when I actually got to play with it, I chopped like crazy. I have a 12v rev, shot PMI premium, and had the BPS at 10. I lowered it to 8 and it was a lot better. Although I had some rough first encounters, I did see some things that I liked. (fast, accurate, and light)
Old 03-24-2002, 05:58 AM #4
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

My first day of play was okay too, wasn't the best. I broke paint in the breach twice and had to take the gun entirely apart to clean it so that I was shooting straight again.

Yesterday was the first day I played with my Dragun after upgrading it with the components listed in my signature. I didn't chop paint once. I had no ball breaks either. My baby worked wonderfully at 12bps.

A couple of the refs shot the marker and were astonished to find out that it was so cheap, had Spyder internals, and could fire so fast. I was even offered $220 for the gun stock by a ref that wanted to use it as a backup gun (after upgrading it ofcourse).

The refs at my field just returned from the NPPL LA Open where they took First Place in the Amateur B division.

My friend's STO broke while playing! He banged the gun into a bunker while moving forward and the trigger handle broke! It was made of plastic! How in the hell does an $800 gun have a plastic trigger handle? Well, I let him play with my gun a round and he was shocked. He said the gun was awesome: loved the rof (trigger), the accuracy, and its compactness.

I am extremely pleased with my choice to upgrade my E-2 rather than buy an autococker or an impulse or a timmy. Although I'm sure I would have liked those guns as well, they wouldn't have been my creation and I wouldn't like them as I do my marker.

THANK YOU COHIBA FOR YOUR ADVICE!
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 03-24-2002, 02:24 PM #5
Ov3rmind
Bandwidth Serial Killer

abracadabra1, just out of curiosity, why do you like about the Dragun more than a Timmy, Imp, or Cocker? Because, with those, you could also upgrade, and have them be your "creation."

I'm glad to hear you Dragun worked well, though. When I had a chance to shoot one, I was very impressed with it's performance for a low cost electro (I also really like the way the bolt is designed, as in the cocking system). However, I do not think I'd consider taking it over an Imp, Cocker, Timmy, etc.

I find it pretty funny, that your friend broke his STO trigger frame. Those things, even though plastic (tough plastic), would be pretty hard to just break. I mean, you'd have to really (I mean REALLY) hit that bunker hard. Oh yeah, and they sell for about $590 now, not $800 (unless you live in Canada or something).

I also find it hard to believe that he thought the gun was compact and accurate, as opposed to his Cocker. Spyder guns and their clones tend to be rather long (awkward to snap-shoot with), and even though paint-to-barrel match has a lot to do with it, tend to be a little less accurate than higher level guns. However, in this world of paintball, everyone can have their opinion (and everyone is wholly entitled to brag about their gun ). I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, 'cause I know you just can't beat those things for the price!
Old 03-24-2002, 02:52 PM #6
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

Yah, both Mike (my friend) and I were shocked to see his frame break like that. The trouble for Mike is that the gun isn't even his; he borrowed it from someone else. We took it to a local shop but they didn't have the part so that it could be replaced. He's trying to find a replacement, maybe one not made of plastic, so that this kind of thing doesn't happen in the future. Also as a gift to his friend since he has let him borrow it for so long (~3 months).

It wasn't so much my gun, but the combination of the gun, 51ci stubby tank, and flame drop that makes my gun seem compact compared to his cocker with 68ci tank and drop (chrome aluminum drop, not sure of the brand). The accuracy wasn't any better than his cocker, but he was shocked that my gun would shoot so well.

I don't like the Dragun more than a timmy, imp, or cocker. I like my dragun more than a timmy, imp, or cocker. My choices from the get-go were Upgraded Dragun to my liking, or stock timmy or imp. I don't like the cocker trigger much; I always short stroke the bastard. Although I know time would make me adapt to it, as of right now, I don't like the cocker feel much. I do like that damn cocker sound though!
Old 03-24-2002, 05:51 PM #7
Ov3rmind
Bandwidth Serial Killer

Yikes! I'd hate to break some one else's gun, I hope you can get it fixed quick or get a replacement quick (good luck). I know that whenever I ask to try out some one else's gun at the feild, I have to treat it extra nice, so nothing happens.

I can see how the BD's setup would make it more compact. Hey, about how long is a 51ci compared to a 48ci or a 68ci tank? I'm planning on getting a new setup this Summer, and was looking for a fairly small tank. No one over here has a 51ci, so I'm interested to see how it works, thx.

LOL, I love how Cocker's feel. The trigger does take some getting used to, but IMO, they feel awesome compared to all the other paintguns I've tried. Of course, I also know people who hate them in addition to people who love them. As a matter a fact, I'm planning on getting one this Summer. Even though I have an electronic frame on my Spyder, I think I'm even going to go with a sliding frame on the Cocker. I just want to teach myself to spray and pray less, because everyone at my feild knows I have horrible accuracy (I don't take the time to aim), and I'm known to try and bunker people too often (usually works though) to get an elimination.

"I don't like the Dragun more than a timmy, imp, or cocker. I like my dragun more than a timmy, imp, or cocker."
That's a great quote .
Old 03-24-2002, 06:15 PM #8
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is a Moderator
EvilPopTart is a Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is BST Trusted
EvilPopTart is playing at Living Legends VII
EvilPopTart is Boss
Lethal_Dragun: There is an issue with your ball detent and/or your paint to barrel match. I'm sorry its not working great for you.

Ov3rmind: I have a 68 stubby. It its about 7 inches long and i get about 600-700 shots off it on my cocker. (very, very low operating pressure) I like the sutbby but i got a bigger 88 ci 4500 psi just cause i don't like to go fill my tank often and i play a lot of senerio. (you know how heavily armed snipers are... we don't like too many backups and reloading sucks) Its kinda nice get 3000 shots off a tank and not having to refill it all day. You may want to get a bigger tank just because that extra security of extra air.

Abracadabra1: I'm pleased your having a great time with your dragun, i used to have issues with short stroking. I bought a pivot trigger and its pull is like .5 cm.

-The Hopefully Helpful Pop-Tart
Old 03-24-2002, 07:17 PM #9
cohiba
decrepit perpetual noobie

abra, you're welcome. Glad you're happy with your choice. Btw, what barrel are you using? The stock one still?

Yeah, one of the things I love the most about my BD is pulling it out, ripping off a string, and seeing the look on peoples faces. I can't count the number of times someone has asked "was that full auto?"

he he he...
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 03-25-2002, 04:06 AM #10
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

no...i've been using the DYE Excel barrel I have. I used electric tape to cover the porting on the side of the barrel except for that at the end. Although it looked kind of ghetto, it still shot pretty well.