PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-18-2002, 04:54 PM #1
Floof

has been a member for 10 years
Cold weather

i got a spyder compact 2k w/ 20oz co2 tank. i heard its bad to play outside when its cold. how cold is too cold and can this be prevented with something?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2002, 06:07 PM #2
Black Ice 72
Banned

When you play with co2 in the cold, it turns to a liquid quite easily. When the liquid enters your gun, the gun has no use for it, so it is just a waste of cold co2 that is in your gun. Your gun wants to use it, but the internals reject it. This liquid co2 can freeze your internals and your gun will be inoperable for a little while.

The solution to this problem is to get an Expansion Chamber. Preferably one of the newer 8-stage expansion chamber. I know that Psychoballistics makes one called the X-Core or something. You should take a look at it. They aren't too expensive either.

I would have to say something less than 60 degrees the co2 will start to significantly change and you will notice big differences. I'd rather be safe than sorry, though.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:11 PM #3
IPlayWithMyCocker

Its not that its bad to play outside, but your performance will suffer. When the temp. inside your tank gets around 50 or lower you will lose most or your pressure. You gun won't shoot far and it can freeze the inside, which can mess up the o-rings inside.

There are a few things that you can do to help prevent this. First off you can get a nitro tank. You can find one like a PMI or crossfire that would work great with your spyder for under $150. If that is not a option, try to fill your tank a day or two before you play in cold weather. This will give it time to cool down after it gets filled. Also try to keep it in a somewhat warm place at the field when not using it (like wraped in a towel or something). But never try to heat it with something because it clould blow up. Hope this helps!
Old 03-18-2002, 06:15 PM #4
Black Ice 72
Banned

A nitro tank might be a stretch for him, though. It's getting pretty warm out lately. I recommend just getting a nice expansion chamber.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:24 PM #5
dtm410

co2

A remote set-up will help too. Another thing to watch out for when using co2 is the fps spiking. I played about 2 weeks ago and chronoed 280 before the game started. After I was eliminated, a guy I was walking off with said my shots really stung. I chronoed again and it was at 337. I already ordered a n2 tank. I'm getting rid of my co2.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:12 PM #6
Westopher
Currently AFK

Cool Hmmm

Hey Black Ice, I always thought Co2 was normally kept as a liquid, and when it goes through the gun it is converted into a gas...
Old 03-19-2002, 05:07 PM #7
Squattingdog
STRAIGHT UP OG

Annual Supporting Member
Squattingdog is a founding member
CO2 is in a liquid form inside your tank, as it warms it expands and turns to a gas (which is a good thing). In cold temperature below 40 degrees F you will notice that during rapid firing that there appears to be snow coming out of your barrel. This is CO2 that is still in a liquid form. You will get inconsistant shots, velocity spikes, break paint and just have a lousy paintballday.

Things you can do to prevent this are:
1. Compressed Air
2. Expansion chamber
3. Anti siphen tube inside your tank
4. Coiled remote (without an antisiphen tank)
5. Regulator (Palmer Stabilizer) very CO2 tolerant
So your problem can be fixed easily. The expansion and and coiled remote together work real well for me for two years whne I had my Spyder. Are you running your tank with a bottomline or in the verticle position?
PM me if you need any more info.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:29 PM #8
Black Ice 72
Banned

Re: Hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Westopher
Hey Black Ice, I always thought Co2 was normally kept as a liquid, and when it goes through the gun it is converted into a gas...
Nopers. It converts to a gas in the tank. After all, how would an antisyphon tube work if the tank was full of liquid. And same with a remote, since liquid doesn't rise as gas does.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:19 AM #9
Squattingdog
STRAIGHT UP OG

Annual Supporting Member
Squattingdog is a founding member
That is the way it is supposed to work, However when the OAT (outside air Temp) is cold, the liquid does not turn to gas fast enough and makes its way into the gun. Which gives you spikes, breaks atc. When the tank empties a bit, there is more room for expansion and then the antisiphon will work fine. And the antisiphen converts nothing, its just a copper tube that is bent upwards towards the horizontal top of the tank, The liquid expands by itself as it warms. Co2 will still expand and turn to gas when temperatures are below freezing, however this process will be slower, than on a warm Spring day.