Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-02-2014, 08:35 AM #1
protik
Purdue

protik owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
protik has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Painting a loader

I'm about to come upon an ego 8 with a plain black rotor, but the the ego is a beautiful cyan and baby blue color combination. Naturally, I'd like the rotor to fit in a bit more.

I've painted plastic before, but I've never painted something that would be taking direct hits from .68 cal rounds flying ~300 fps. What sort of treatments/curing methods should I use to prevent chipping that I imagine would result from a hit/a number of hits on the same spot?

Additionally, should I be using any particular type of paint?
protik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2014, 03:44 PM #2
jtguy2269
PL gun collector

has been a member for 10 years
jtguy2269 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
there are a couple threads with instructions in the hopper discussion forum.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:37 PM #3
Precision Powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by protik View Post
I'm about to come upon an ego 8 with a plain black rotor, but the the ego is a beautiful cyan and baby blue color combination. Naturally, I'd like the rotor to fit in a bit more.

I've painted plastic before, but I've never painted something that would be taking direct hits from .68 cal rounds flying ~300 fps. What sort of treatments/curing methods should I use to prevent chipping that I imagine would result from a hit/a number of hits on the same spot?

Additionally, should I be using any particular type of paint?
You could have it powder coated. I have put the ones I have done through hell and they stood up great. I shot one with a 12ga and it broke the rotor in half and went through the powder but it did not chip. just gone where the pellets went straight through it

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK HERE!! Precision Powder
Precision Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:10 PM #4
Devlin123

I just used some cheap cans from the local store. prime'd, painted and clearcoat'd.

This is how it looks two years later:
[IMG][/IMG]

I've noticed that the fills of paintballs tend to damage the paint if it is left sitting. That's why you can see the black line on the top of the rotor (between the top shell and the color kit) as paint slips into the crease.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:36 AM #5
PaperBoyWS
"Hell Must Fear Us"

PaperBoyWS owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PaperBoyWS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PaperBoyWS has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I used spray on truck-bed liner. Looks awesome and tough as hell. Nothing damages the stuff.
PaperBoyWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:26 PM #6
fenskedeathcore9
We Kill Suckers

fenskedeathcore9 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Recommend Krylon Fusion. Painted my mask in it, shot it point blank to test (a couple times) not one chip.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:55 PM #7
mkhkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenskedeathcore9 View Post
Recommend Krylon Fusion. Painted my mask in it, shot it point blank to test (a couple times) not one chip.
also did my mask with krylon fusion, take hits like a champ. lightly sand the plastic surface before you paint, it may not look like it but most plastic has a coating on it that will keep paint from adhering well, its best to lightly rough it up a little and just use a fine grit and sand it nice and light, then get after it. truck bed liner like mentioned above is tough as hell if you like the look it gives, or definitely a clear coat layer or two after, but check youtube. Youtube has a lot of good how to vids..I watched some that taught me i was actually clear coating all my stuff so wrong, lol. There are very specific methods to make your project look perfect, just literally just search "how to spray paint plastic" or "how to paint a paintball hopper" and youll be amazed how many step by step vids there are. Best advice is also just dont use crappy, cheap paint unless you dont mind repainting a lot.
mkhkilla is offline   Reply With Quote