Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-22-2004, 08:48 PM #1
yuGretupmoCehT
Banned

has been a member for 10 years
Thumbs up Look Here Before You Post ANY Computer Problems

Ok , well I had the chance to look over my last one and you know what , it seems to be a tad bit outdated somehow , so here I am helping you people once again

Security

I , myself use Agnitum Outpost Firewall for most of my security needs. It's passed all my tests and remains to be the top firewall in my book.

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Direct Link

This is a free trial , you can either buy or whatever you may do to your liking , but I would insist on making it full version.

Free Firewalls

If maybe you are not so computer literate *wink wink* or do not have enough money for a firewall here are a couple I've scrounged up for you guys. Also , if you do not have a good understanding about ports or programs accessing the internet , I will include links to firewalls that require little to no user interaction. I can't stress enough how important it is to know what your computer needs and what it doesn't need , if you block something you need , it A) wont work and B) May cause other things to stop working , so if you do not know , don't do it.

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...Alarm Homepage

This seems to be the firewall that everyone seems to use if they don't have the cashola. Easy to use and gets the job done.

Kerio Personal Firewall
Kerio Personal Firewall Homepage

I've never used Kerio Personal Firewall , but from reviews and other people I hear it is a wonderful firewall and gets the job done.

Sygate Personal Firewall
Sygate Personal Firewall Homepage

I used this firewall before Outpost came out and it was a great firewall as well. I would recommend this firewall.

Premium Firewalls

Norton Personal Firewall
Norton Personal Firewall Homepage

Now here is the one I promised to you less-literate ones. Norton is very very easy to use and has little to no interaction at all. You install once , set the autoconfigured rules and you're good to go. Everyone so often you MAY come across it asking if something needs to access the internet , more times then not you can find the answer by searching it on google.

Mcafee Personal Firewall Plus

Now this is another firewall that competes with the Norton Firewall. I personally don't like to use Mcafee products , but if you want an easy to use firewall (not sure how great it is , reviews I read weren't too good) , this is for you.

AntiVirus

Ok , this is a vital part of keeping your computer away from malicious files and other programs that may affect your computer in many different ways. I've been back and forth with about every virus scan there is , so I have some pretty strong reviews.

Norton Antivirus
Symantec Antivirus Homepage

Ok , this is the virus scan I'm currently using. I've used all varieties of these scanners , and these seems to be the only one that actually works on all sides. I would highly recommend this virus scan.

Eset Nod32
Eset Nod32 Homepage

I've used Nod32 on and off for quite awhile now. Nod32 uses virtually no resources at all. Nod scans your computer constantly while you're doing whatever you need to get done. Updates almost daily against new threats. The only bad thing I've ever had happen was a few joke files and low threat viruses slip through , this was enough to turn me against this though. Overall if you need something quick that uses little resources I would definately recommend this.

AVG Antivirus
AVG Homepage
Now I have never got around to using this virus scan , but all I've heard from this scanner has been positive. It is FREE and from what I hear works like a charm. My sources have never wrong before , so I would recommend this scanner as well.

Trend Micro PC-Cillin
PC-Cillin Homepage

Now this is one of the few scanners that I've yet to use. PC-Cillin has came through for me in the past with their online scans , so I don't see how this would be much different.

AntiVir
AntVir Homepage

Now I've only read reviews on this one too , so bear with my good judgement . Reviews on this have been just fine , nothing majorly wrong with it. It's FREE and works. I would try it out.

Avast!
Avast! Antivirus Homepage

Wohoo , another one I can only go off of reviews on. Avast seems to be a pretty popular virus scan from what I have gathered and would probably give it a try. It's FREE

Panda Antivirus
Panda Antivirus Homepage

Yay , finally one I can personally vouch for. Panda Antivirus was everything I expected from a virus scan and looked good while doing it , I just didn't have the "resources" to keep it running for more than 30 days , but if you have the cashola , I would definately invest.

Kaspersky Antivirus
Kaspersky Homepage

This antivirus is a flippin' joke. I downloaded it a long while back and it's nothing but a resource hog and lets viruses through. Most schools (of all places that actually need it) use this program , I successfully tested this on a few computers and it is definately not worth anyone's time. I would give this 2 thumbs down.

Free Online Virus Scanners

Now I know that i've had my share of viruses slippin' through here and there and they've been pretty though to get rid of , here's a few places you can have you computer scanned , completely free and actually works!

Trendmicro House Call
Scanner

Panda Active Scan (Not Compatible With Firefox)
Scanner

Bit Defender
Scanner

Kaspersky
Submitter

This doesn't suprise me a bit. You can't scan your WHOLE computer , but let alone 1 file , wow how helpful huh? Kaspersky is JUNK!

RAV
Scanner

Browsers

Let me start off by saying if you are using internet explorer , read through this thoroughly

Mozilla Firefox
Firefox Homepage

This is the LATEST and Greatest ladies and gentlemen. Firefox is not full of security holes and other exploitable material , but rather had the time taken to smooth everything out. So in other words, think the opposite of anything that Micro$oft does. I would HIGHLY recommend this browser to anyone, this is highly customizable and is secure. Also has a built in pop-up blocker , I haven't had one pop through since i've used it.

Opera
Opera Homepage

This is another browser that many people use. As long as you aren't using Internet Explorer , you're somewhat safe. Opera is similar to Firefox in many ways, just a little different GUI here and there , nothing to big.

These are only two of the millions of browsers that are out there , but as long as you dont use IE , you should be just peachy.

Ad-aware / Spyware Scanners

"Enlarge your penis" , "Jump Higher" , "Prescription drugs online" , "Legal Drug alternatives" blah blah blah , we've seen them all right? Most of these pop ups are caused by your browser installing "Ad-aware" , "Spyware" and tracking cookies (monitors online activity) etc... and we apparantly don't want this. Here are a few ways of getting rid of this. 1. PLEASE for all things that are holy DONT USE INTERNET EXPLORER , this is the leading cause of getting these pesky pains-in-the-neck. Next , use these programs:

Spybot Search and Destroy
Download Site

This program is widely used to fight these junk files. It detects over 15000 different types and definately works.

Ad Aware SE
Download Site

This program picks up what spybot leaves behind , but who can complain , it's all free. This program used with Spybot Search and Destroy will nuke about any piece of spyware you could think of.

After you have scanned with these programs i would recommend you also get Spyware Blaster , this will put in a safe guard that will stop these files from even ENTERING your computer.

Last edited by yuGretupmoCehT : 11-02-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2004, 08:49 PM #2
yuGretupmoCehT
Banned

Peer To Peer

Let me start off by saying I am not condoning ANY illegal activity that may come out of using any of these programs, these are USE AT YOUR OWN RISK , I will not take any responsibility at all for anything you decide to do with anything I say after this point.

Music

Yea , kazaa used to the thing to have back in the day , now it's trash.

Ares
Ares Homepage

Now Ares is probably the best thing Music sharing has had since napster. Fast speeds and easy gui , what more can you ask for? It has other search functions such as video , files etc...but you will see later on this isn't worth it. This is tested to be spyware free.

Everything

Ever wondered how to work newsgroups? Well keep wondering , I'm just going to recommend using Newsleecher this will make things easier. The only reason I don't go over newsgroups is because all ISP's are different and I'm not about to do an in-depth research project for something I'm not going to get some major incentive on ,see what I mean?

Bit Torrent

Wow..where do I even start? This is probably the most used when it comes to ANYTHING you can think of. IF I did use a program for torrents , I would use Bit Tornado , This program is extremely easy to use , just pick what you want , point to a directory and let it go , and of course I know all of this because of a friend

A few starter sites for torrents:

Now I'm not about to make this easy on you , you'll have to look into this a little more , but here are some hints

There is a supr site...

Torrents are also found in Bits

Torrents are located among sites such as youceff

Yea , those hints suck , but you know what? I don't care. If you can't figure it out , don't do it, capiche?

Now I know I can go much more in depth with these things , but I just don't have the time.

Useful Sites

These sites range from cool programs , to desktops.

www.astalavista.com
www.majorgeeks.com
www.download.com
www.dslreports.com
www.pcpitstop.com
www.pcflank.com
www.deviantart.com
www.themexp.org

and the one and most important

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Please don't PM/IM or directly communicate with me to fix your computer problems. The only time i'm ever on is if i need to do something ,so more times then not , you're interrupting me. You can contact me at RyanGibbs@gmail.com and i'd be more than happy to help you out with any problems you may have. You can always post up here and these guys are pretty good at general troubleshooting as well. Sorry I didn't get too in depth , but I saw my old thread and decided this needed to be done. Please support my long , hardwork and link this into your sig , any support would be much appreciated This may possibly be updated in the near future , but i've been busy for quite awhile and will try and put some time aside to work something out for you guys. Thanks fellas!

-Your Favorite Computer Guy

Update(yes already): Please use some common sense. Don't do anything you think will mess something up , because 9 times outta 10 it will. Also... KEEP EVERYTHING UPDATED , this is vital in keeping your computer running at its best.

Update #2 :

Media Players

For music I would recommend Winamp

If you plan on playing movies , I would suggest getting the K-Lite Codec pack. Get the mega

If none of these work for you , get VideoLan this beast will play about everything.

Last edited by yuGretupmoCehT : 10-24-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:58 PM #3
Not_Rezguise
Banned

Omfg, you're alive.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:13 PM #4
LockDownChris (Banned)
QCK <3

nice nice thread
lol since he doesnt wanna be disturbed...
lol i have no life im me w/ your computer problems
i'll either be on rockinpaintballa or lockdownchris
Old 10-23-2004, 05:40 PM #5
chomponthisr2
mustard?!

STICKY!!
Old 10-24-2004, 02:01 PM #6
yuGretupmoCehT
Banned

Thanks guys

Hopefully some people will take the time and read this damn thing , I've already seen like 4 threads that wouldn't of happened if they would have done some reading.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:07 PM #7
Kustom Kid
Fueled by Monster

STICKY THIS!!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:28 PM #8
Ferret_of_Doom
La vaca dice moo?

I certainly hope you arn't claiming that any of this stuff is not common knowledge to even the least experianced computer user?

Perhaps name it Internet 099 since it is more related to that than the subject of computers...

Ok ill stop being an *** now
Old 10-27-2004, 03:18 PM #9
FranceOnFire
Welcome to Shakedown St.

edit: just realized i had norton 2k3, changed to 2k4 with great results. norton 2004 > *

1970: On June 12 Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Doc Ellis pitched a no-hitter baseball game while under the influence of LSD

Last edited by FranceOnFire : 10-27-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:26 PM #10
Rain

Sticky Now....
Old 10-27-2004, 04:51 PM #11
Kustom Kid
Fueled by Monster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ferret_of_Doom
I certainly hope you arn't claiming that any of this stuff is not common knowledge to even the least experianced computer user?

Perhaps name it Internet 099 since it is more related to that than the subject of computers...

Ok ill stop being an *** now
Have you seen the posts in here the past few months? Half of them are answered in this very post.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:52 PM #12
MasterOfPupets

suprisingly, I took the advice and tried firefox. It's not really that bad. IE still has a use, but firefox will be the main browser for me.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:11 PM #13
yuGretupmoCehT
Banned

I have to up this , people are too ignorant to search.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:15 PM #14
dholmblad

Does any one know how to get microsoft updates while using firefox? i dont think it lets you.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:17 PM #15
yuGretupmoCehT
Banned

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update.

Download the latest version of Internet Explorer

Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the Windows Update site by typing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com into the address bar of Internet Explorer.

If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:25 AM #16
Baboon
Photomob

Baboon is a Supporting Member
Baboon is a Paintball photographer
although i know half the questions asked are stupid questions that could be found in here, this is really common knowledge to most people who will be common posters on pbn
Old 11-02-2004, 02:11 AM #17
kevin349
Banned

kevin349 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Baboon
although i know half the questions asked are stupid questions that could be found in here, this is really common knowledge to most people who will be common posters on pbn
So you think....

You won't believe how many people IM me everyday asking me whats wrong with thier comp.. and why they keep getting pop ups, if they just did these things.. I wouldn't have to be bothered...
Old 11-02-2004, 02:13 AM #18
Ferret_of_Doom
La vaca dice moo?

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin349
So you think....

You won't believe how many people IM me everyday asking me whats wrong with thier comp.. and why they keep getting pop ups, if they just did these things.. I wouldn't have to be bothered...
Mmm, tech support

http://rinkworks.com/stupid/
Old 11-02-2004, 02:22 AM #19
ssgaR
(yಠ,ಠ)y

ssgaR is a Supporting Member
hahahahahahha

"Customer: "My computer's telling me I performed an illegal abortion." "

omfg ill be reading that **** all night, thanks dude. By the way, where in the hell is the c4 recipe? Has alzheimer's set in early on your middle aged ***?

"Originally posted by paintchk2: You sir are an ***."
Old 11-02-2004, 02:28 AM #20
kevin349
Banned

kevin349 is a Supporting Member
Lol.. I should send them my story.. It was someone on here.. I forgot who... But the IM'ed me telling me that thier computer would post, but wouldn't boot to windows(they didn't say that, exactly, that's just what the problem was)
Well I had been having a bad day and didn't feel like helping so I said somehing along these lines..

"Hmm, it sounds like your decombobulator is outta wack, Head down to bestbuy and tell them you need a new decombobulator, and then IM me and I'll help you install it"

The next evening he IM's me

"I went down to Bestbuy and they said that they didn't have any decombobulators in, What shuold I do, or where else should I get it?"

I laughed so ****inng hard.. HAHA
Old 11-02-2004, 02:31 AM #21
Ferret_of_Doom
La vaca dice moo?

By far my favorite...

Customer: "Do you know about MIDI?"
Tech Support: (slightly puzzled) "Yes..."
Customer: "I was THERE."

Oh, I'll get you the recipe when I get home... If I remember