PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-12-2002, 05:14 PM #1
SteelersRock

has been a member for 10 years
Compressed Air Tanks

Can anyone recommend an online article/site about compressed air in general? I am looking for everything from how tanks are made/work, performence tests, and what the diffence between a 68/4500 tank and a 88/4500 tanks is.

Thanks....
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2002, 05:45 PM #2
paintballer4life

you might want to try warpig for articles about tests on air tanks. As for your question about the 68/ 45 (4500) and the 88/45 is that the 88 is 20 cubic inches more than the 68, so it is just a bigger tank. Other people will be able to elaborate on this subject more, but i hope this helps some.

garret
Old 03-12-2002, 08:28 PM #3
SteelersRock

Ok...

I understand that it is 20 more c.i.'s but does that equate to more shots? If so, how can I calculate? The psi thing is throwing me off.

I knew I should have paid more attention in physics!
Old 03-12-2002, 08:30 PM #4
Black Ice 72
Banned

Nitro tanks are usually either carbon fiber or alluminum. The newer carbon fiber has to be hydrotested (or professionally checked to make sure there are no problems) about every 5 years. This also applies for all alluminum tanks. The older type of carbon fiber has to be hydrotested every 3 years.

Alliminum tanks are basically what it sounds like, alluminum.

Carbon fiber is a wrapping that is extremely strong. It usually has a tough glass covering over it also.

68/4500 means 68 cubic inches/4500 PSI (pounds per square inch).

88/4500 just means it is 88 cubic inches/ 4500 PSI so it is just larger then the 68 cubic inch tank. Not too complicating, is it?

Also, compressed air is simply air that is compressed (DUH!). It is also commonly referred to as nitro(gen) (n2) because that is what the tanks were formerly filled with and since the abundance of our atmosphere is nitrogen, it is still referred to as nitrogen.

Other common names from compressed air:

HPA (High Pressure Air)
N2 (Symbol for Nitrogen)
Nitro (Short for Nitrogen)
CA (compressed air)
Old 03-12-2002, 08:59 PM #5
paintballer4life

ya, you'll get more shots with the 88/45 than the 68/45, because there is 20 more cubic inches of air in the tank
garret
Old 03-13-2002, 08:41 AM #6
RATM M98

Actually compressed air and nitro are 2 different gasses. Compressed air is oxygen(O2) and nitrogen is nitrogen(N2). They can both be put in HPA tanks. They both work just as effectively, until you get into the super high ROF(like 20bps), then nitro is better.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:08 PM #7
Black Ice 72
Banned

...That's what I said, they are different gasses. But, since the abundance of our atomosphere consists of nitrogen, they still refer to compressed air as nitrogen.

You will not see a difference in compressed air vs. nitrogen. This is simple because we cannot fire that fast, that long until we see a difference. Tanks are normally no longer filled with nitrogen, just compressed air.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:00 PM #8
Hitman
Silent " DEATH"

compressed air

You CANNOT put O2 in a compressed air tank!!!!!!!!! NEVER ,DO NOT EVER do this. What people mean when they say compressed air is compressed breathing air not compressed O2. Pure compressed O2 is very flamable and dangerous. I would hope the place where you get gass would ask you what you want compressed O2 for but in case they don't remember NEVER use compressed O2 for paintball guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2002, 06:52 PM #9
Squattingdog
STRAIGHT UP OG

Annual Supporting Member
Squattingdog is a founding member
Compressed air is the air we breath, it is a mixture of oxygen and, nitrogen. It is compressed by using a compressor. Nitrogen is in 50 pound cylinders. The cylinders are gray and have a black ring painted around the cylinder. and is the better gas, however you will find it less and less, because it is more expensive than compressed air.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:36 PM #10
Black Ice 72
Banned

Re: compressed air

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitman
I would hope the place where you get gass would ask you what you want compressed O2
Stores that are liscenced to fill tanks are the only people allowed to fill tanks. A scuba place will most likely NOT fill a tank for you for two reasons: Some places require a scuba liscence to fill tanks and also scuba tanks do not hold 4500 PSI.