Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-06-2002, 07:40 PM #1
cohiba
decrepit perpetual noobie

has been a member for 10 years
SwanCreek N-Bolt with BD Snap-Back!

For your viewing pleasure, or in abra's case, seething jealousy...

I proudly present my latest franken-dragun part:

The Snap-Back N-Bolt!

I started with a side-cocking N-Bolt, drilled it with a 1/8" drill bit, and tapped it with a 4mm x 0.70 tap (I am using the screw that came with the BD Bolt). The back of the bolt did not have enough material for threads, so I literally had to drill into and through the connecting rod, and tap that to secure the screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sb-nbolt.jpg (13.6 KB, 152 views)
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 03-06-2002, 07:51 PM #2
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

Beautiful work man. Looks gorgeous...just like I wanted mine.

I've decided to skip keeping the snapback portion and am going to get a KAPP Twisted Cocking rod to attach to my Nbolt.

Once again, beautiful work.
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 03-06-2002, 08:14 PM #3
cohiba

Man, that is WAAAAAAAYY too gracious! C"mon, I wanted to see you spitting blood or something!

Good choice on the KAPP Cocking Rod. I must admit that I was tempted by that idea when I first heard it.
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 03-06-2002, 08:14 PM #4
Spook

Talking

Nice job, very nice looking bolt. Hey cohiba - we were discussing a bolt like this in another thread, which is not presently available to buy. Since you've proven you have the tools and skill to make these, how much would make it worth your while to make another and send it to me (and possibly to abra as well, it sounds like). Thanks
Old 03-06-2002, 08:22 PM #5
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

hehehhe...I figured you wanted to get something out of me.

I kept my jealousy hidden so as to not give you too much pleasure in posting that bolt

Just like when you see your girlfriend/wife socializing with another man. You pretend to not be jealous, but deep inside you really wish he would just leave her alone.

One thing I'm not unwilling to admit is that I'm utterly jealous of your craftsmanship. I'm sure it's something that comes with time and experience (and that you need 'proper' tools for it), but I wish I was at least halfway decent. Just like when I started building computers, I've done a lot of things incorrectly and lose/damage a lot of parts because of it.

Oh well, that's the price of learning I guess...
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 03-07-2002, 02:01 AM #6
cohiba

Boy do I have you guys fooled!

As you guys get to know me better, you'll discover that although I am tech-savvy, I am tool-ignorant! Yeah, I have a 15" floor-standing Drill Press. Yeah I have an 8" Bench Grinder. And yeah, I have a nice 76-pc Tap and Die set. And yeah, I have a crap-load more! But I had never really used them before a couple months ago. Yep, sorry to burst the bubble, but the first time I ever really used those things was on my Black Dragun...

I am a man of many hobbies--but only one at a time. Right now, it's paintball, but a few years ago, it was Craftsman Tools--or at least collecting them. I don't know why, but I bought so many tools that I *still* have unopened boxes with tools that I know I want, but don't know how to use!

I do, I'll admit, tend to go a little overboard with my hobbies (my wife calls them obsessions, but what does she know?), so when I get into something new, I tend to learn hard and fast. So if it sounds like I know what I'm doing, I'll take that as a compliment, but it's not really the case. And I really don't mean to come off as some guy with years of experience--at least not in paintball. I'm just really, really, ummmm, enthusiastic--and hey! what can I say? I'm just a helpful kind of guy.

Abra, I KNEW IT!!!!

Spook, I would gladly do it for free, if sent the parts. My only problem is that this kind of thing is very prone to mistakes. I have made surprisingly few, but when it's my stuff, there's no problem. When it's someone elses, I risk hard feelings if I mess up, and I don't think that's something I'm ready to deal with--at least not yet.

And I think I'm also trying to say that if I can do this stuff, anyone can! My only real advantage, as abra noted, is that I happen to have the right tools--which was as much a surprise to me as anyone!

I would highly recommend that you just wait til you can get the pretapped bolt directly from SwanCreek. I was hoping to get that one myself, and am actually quite frustrated with them for not returning any of my emails on the matter, but there was no way I was going to finally have my N-Bolt, and not have it in my BD! So I said "Screw it!" and did it myself. Worked out okay, since I didn't have an 8/32" screw anyway, but I definitely would've preferred an easier way.

So, there it is.

Black Dragun FAQ

Last edited by cohiba : 03-07-2002 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:23 AM #7
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

This message is really for anyone who doesn't have the tools or the know-how to do custom modding, especially drilling and tapping. Just look in your phone book for local machine shops. They are more than well-equipped to do the job and do things well. That's where I took my BD trigger handle to get drilled and tapped for an inline hole pattern for my CP flame drop, and it came out marvelously!

cohiba
I know you don't have years under your belt, in the realm of paintball. I've searched the forums a while back looking for posts that you wrote because I wanted to see if you had posted any useful information in the past that might be of help to me. I stumbled upon your early messages about paintball and the BD and was surprised to see you've only been in the sport for a couple of months. Nevertheless, I trust your judgement and character more than I do anyone on any paintball forum I visit because of your enthusiasm.

I think everyone else on this BD shares simliar sentiment.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:43 AM #8
cohiba

Aw shucks!

But if that's the case, then how come you laid all that "craftsmanship" and "time and experience" stuff out there? Made me feel like I was trying to create a false impression of myself, which I never intended to do.

No worries though--as long as everyone knows that I'm just another noobie, lovin' his BD and having fun, then we're golden.

Black Dragun FAQ
Old 03-08-2002, 10:54 AM #9
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

The "craftsmanship" and "time and experience" was really just an assumption by me that you have had lots of practice with your tools. Not necessarily on your gun, but elsewhere.

No worries though, you're still the MAN.