Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-06-2002, 07:30 PM #1
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

has been a member for 10 years
Question About Autococker Beavertail

I was thinking about getting an autococker beavertail and cocking rod. Specfically, those found here:
Beavertail
http://www.kappperformance.com/10513.html
Cocking Rod
http://www.kappperformance.com/10460a.html

Would they fit on the Dragun? Any idea?
I am getting my bolt milled to 8/32 standard of cockers btw.
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2002, 07:47 PM #2
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

It seems it would be really difficult to get that beavertail to fit properly, so I've decided to just get the twisted cocking rod instead.
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 03-06-2002, 08:17 PM #3
cohiba
decrepit perpetual noobie

yeah, stick to the rod. I still maintain that a beavertail is unnecessary on an open-bolt design. Okay, okay, I also don't like the look of them, so I may be a little biased...
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 03-07-2002, 12:14 AM #4
Nerobro

Nerobro is a Supporting Member
If anything they are more necessary on an open bolt gun. Autococking guns don't have a lot of force behind them when tehy recock. Just enough to sting. blowback guns are strong enough to break fingers, goggles, or at least do a good cookie cutter punch on any skin behind the cocking knob.

this is from experience. I have no fear of having my cocker's back block hitting my goggles.. it won't do jack. My spyders cocking knob has on at least on occation sepearated a large portion of skin off the front of my thumb.

Omnipotence ain't all it's cracked up to be.......
Old 03-07-2002, 06:28 AM #5
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

I actually have been hit in the goggles by my BDs cocking rod, original snapback. For some reason, the cocking portion that you yank would shoot back when I shot the gun. I decided to deal with it that day and just play (interestingly, it didn't always shoot back, lots of times it just stayed in its original position, like it's supposed to do). While playing I leaned forward a little too much and *pow* the cocking rod hit me in the goggles. It wasn't too bad actually, but it wasn't a tap either.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:06 PM #6
cohiba

Abra, if the snap-back is flying back, it's not working properly, plain and simple. That's not really an argument for or against a beavertail. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

And Nerobro, how can you hit your thumb? With my hand in the firing position, my thumb can't even make it to the back of the marker, let alone high enough to get in the way of the bolt! You must be one flexible dude! Of course, I can only speak about my BD--perhaps stuff is a little closer on your Spyder?

I dunno, I'm the exception I guess. I aim with my marker *very* close the right and side of my mask, so close that the cocked bolt is almost touching, and the bolt has still never hit my mask or anything else--not even once.

Regardless, you guys are correct. If your setup is such that the bolt can or has caused some grief, then a beavertail is definitely a good idea. To each his own I guess.
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 03-08-2002, 09:18 AM #7
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

cohiba
The bolt shooting back story wasn't to establish a reason for getting a beavertail. Just telling Nerobro that I know how it feels to get hit smack in the goggles by a blowback.

Getting the beavertail was really just something cosmetic that I thought I wanted so that I could incorporate more red into my gun. I think the Red trigger, red beavertail, red drop, and black and red barrel should be enough though.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:14 AM #8
cohiba

Yeah, I actually remember playing with a rented piranha once that would tap my goggles every now and then, but in retrospect, I don't know how I was doing it. With my BDs, I just don't see how I the bolt could ever hit anything unless I wanted it to...

Quote:
I think the Red trigger, red beavertail, red drop, and black and red barrel should be enough though.
You meant red cocking rod, right?

Black Dragun FAQ
Old 03-08-2002, 10:33 AM #9
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

LOL, yeah, cocking rod. Too much beavertail talk for me to be able to concentrate on what I really meant.

It was actually kind of cool having the bolt come back. It intrigued the hell out of all the autococker fellas.