PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-08-2004, 08:50 AM #1
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
Communicate More Loudly

I am somewhat soft spoken and want to communicate more loudly. Other than "just do it", what are some good exercises that I can do to improve that?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2004, 09:02 AM #2
WakeboardMike

WakeboardMike is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Volume is one issue, but don't forget about clarity. A short, clear message is much easier to hear and understand than a long, complex, or possibly ambiguous message.

Volume is about how much air you can push past your vocal chords and how efficiently you can use your vocal chords. You are best off taking advantage of your natural range. Many people try to force the sound of their voice either too high or too low. Either will hurt your volume and strain your voice unnecessarily. Remember the vocal chords are muscles and must be trained. A wide open throat and full lung capacity will result in the best volume, and don't forget to breath from your diaphragm. Correct enunciation and a clear concise message are equally important.

Also, if you describe yourself as soft-spoken, there could be an issue of self-consciousness as well. Just let loose and relax your lungs and throat. Push the sound out from your abdomen (diaphragm).

Search for voice or singing training/coaching tips for more information. I learned the hard way; in the Marine Corps, but it worked very well.

Last edited by WakeboardMike : 09-08-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:13 PM #3
spyder_king06
New Name: The_King06

Quote:
Originally posted by WakeboardMike

Also, if you describe yourself as soft-spoken, there could be an issue of self-consciousness as well. Just let loose and relax your lungs and throat. Push the sound out from your abdomen (diaphragm).

yea thats what i was going to say. I'm not saying thats the case in ur situation tho. Just relax. Let loose, and shout as loud and clear as possible. Practice when ur in the shower
Old 09-08-2004, 08:40 PM #4
Guilherme
Banned

Well, i'm an actor, and i work mainly in plays (no tv or such) in theaters with no amplification. one thing we learn is to pull your stomac in when saying the tonic silables of the words. alsom ther are some exercises you can do to make your voice more clear. they are quite hard to explain.
one important thing is to warm up your voice before you use it, cos your cords are just like any other muscle
Old 09-08-2004, 08:53 PM #5
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
one important thing is to warm up your voice before you use it, cos your cords are just like any other muscle
Good point. My wife is a loud and excellent singer and she does that before singing. I do about ten minutes of stretching in the staging area, but I don't think I will practice my yelling. LOL. Okay, I might do it in the car on the way there.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:44 AM #6
rollin45
Adam of Team Inferno

has been a member for 10 years
play music in your room or car and sing with it, get it progressively louder, and make sure you can hear your voice over it.

SHootin either Cobalt with Black parts DM5 or Red with Black Parts DM6
Dye and EVIL all the way