Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-26-2002, 07:06 PM #1
bob
Banned

has been a member for 10 years
Lp black dragun

Have any of you guys been succesful at making it Lp. I tried and failed. I was wondering if those of you who got it to work could tell your set ups and mods you did to the gun. On mine I used a drilled out va, 32 degree spring kit, pmi reg, drilled shocktech Quick strip(and I tired stock with removed venturie), magnaport valve + pin shaved to allow more air to striker. I'm also using CO2 and steel braided hose. I also polished the striker and stock bolt with metal polish and a dremel, my striker looks like its made out of ss. The gun just wouldn't recock even at 500 psi or so. I was thinking maybe a shocktech lp chamber to hold more air but it should work with the stock one. I also played with the spring combos for at least 3 hours, used 2 tanks worth of air. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bob : 02-26-2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2002, 07:46 PM #2
Nerobro

Nerobro is a Supporting Member
Dont' worry about low pressure. It's just bragging rights.. It doesn't help the gun. (it can be done, but you need to cut metal to do it well in a slim strikered gun)

Omnipotence ain't all it's cracked up to be.......
Old 02-27-2002, 05:31 PM #3
bob
Banned

cut metal

I already cut the metal, I think. If you mean drilling the vertical adaptor I already did.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:57 PM #4
Nerobro

No, you need to bore out the lower tube for reliable operation of LP. the striker is too small to work well at LP. it's not an easy operation.

Old 02-27-2002, 07:27 PM #5
bob
Banned

bore out

How would you bore out the body. I don't think I have the tools needed. Just out of curiosity what tools would be needed. Also I've read about people making shutters Lp, they also have slim strikers. Also cohiba claims t have made his dragun Lp.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:23 PM #6
cohiba
decrepit perpetual noobie

Bob,

Nerobro is right in saying that LP is not really the mystic be-all answer that it is made out to be.

And as for what LP is, that all depends on your definition. And althought I would disagree with his assertion that boring it out is required for reliability, I would certainly agree that it would hel. Moreover, perhaps my BD isn't LP according to Nerobro's idea of what LP is:

My gun operates at about 450psi in it's current configuration. Coming from a gun that operates at 800psi stock, that's LP in my book. However, many people need to see sub 400 or even 300 before they are happy. For me, LP isn't about a specific number--my gun is quieter, more efficient, doesn't break paint, and I honestly don't really care what it's called, I just know that I am happy with it. Of course, I am still tinkering with it, but not necessarily to hit some majic lower number, I am just doing it cause I want to...

My best suggestion is to read my FAQ (big surprise! ), as that has all my opinions on the questions you are asking.
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 02-28-2002, 07:30 PM #7
bob
Banned

I know that lp wont really do too much, but I would still like to make mine lp. I've owned a spyder for over a year now and have read up on it alot. I have read about shutters that run at 300 psi, they have the same size striker as a black dragun. So shouldn't we beable to run around 300 psi. This is kind of off the subject but have any of you guys seen the rail upgrade offered by deadlywind.com? I was thinking that we could probably get this to work on the dragun if we ran electronic 5-way like the race frames for auto cockers use. Using that mod would be sweet, all chops would be a thing of the past. The markers sound signature would also be reduced greatly.This is just an idea though, so don't try it and say my idea broke your gun.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:22 PM #8
Nerobro

Adding complexity only adds more routes for failure. Just this weekend, i got to use an emag for my last game in the dome (I was at skyball this weekend) And.... it worked great. the gun is wonderfull.. but the paint stuck to the internall passages in the gun. due to ****ty paint I got to shoot 9 of my 1100rounds. the gun would have fired it all if i had used a simpler system.

A simple addage to remember: Does it work? right.. then don't mess with it.

Old 03-04-2002, 07:36 PM #9
bob
Banned

I know you shouldn't mess with something that works fine in its own, but that would be sweet to rig that up. After people get used to the gun, like every other gun, they will start to look for new creative ways to make their gun perform just a little better then the next guys. I'm just thinking ahead of my self.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:44 AM #10
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

I disagree with the idea of not messing with things if they work completely. Since I don't want to get into a philosophical argument on a Pball forum, I'll just say why I think LP is a worthy effort. Although, it is a BIG waste of money (e.g. at least $300 in parts to completely go LP) considering you could have saved the money and been well won your way to purchasing a better gun (e.g. autococker, impulse, timmy, etc.), it allows you to completely familiarize yourself with your marker. You will go through the agony of trying to get the parts to work with your marker, them choosing not to work, and having to find a way so that they do work properly. This is the single-most important reason why I chose to go LP. I am a performance freak that loves to tinker with things (e.g. started building gaming computers when I was 14), and so, the $400+ so that I've wasted on upgrading my gun is justified, because I've learned about the intricacies of the marker and am completely familiar with it. Oh yeah, I also wanted to make my BD significantly quieter, because stock, the damn thing is loud! Maybe she'll sound more like a quiet-shooting autococker the next time I take her out

Nevertheless, LP is an expensive route to go and the performance increase will not justify the money you spend, however, it is one of the best ways to familiarize yourself with your gun and create something that is tailored to your liking.
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 03-06-2002, 08:35 AM #11
cohiba

Abra, I feel like I'm looking into a friggin' mirror!!! Like I'm reading something I would've wrote!

You have learned well, young grasshopper...

P.S. I still remember the first 286 that I built from the ground up.
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 03-06-2002, 03:01 PM #12
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

How dare I? I could've sworn I had something in my post thaking cohiba for his advice.

Nevertheless, I'll do so now

The above given advice is almost identical with what was given me when I was faced with the same question. Now, that I've received all my parts and played with the marker and yelled a few hundred times at it, I realize how right cohiba was. Although I sometimes sum up all I've spent on my E-2 in the past couple of weeks, and dream about the RAT impulse or red-orange fade Timmy I could've purchased, I don't regret taking the route that I did. I am completely satisfied that I have a gun that is completely mine! And I have cohiba to thank.

Thanks for all the advice (past, current, and future)!
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 03-06-2002, 06:26 PM #13
cohiba

abra, you misunderstood. I wasn't looking for thanks or credit.

I am flattered, amused, humbled, and exhilirated to discover that not only did you take my advice, but that you really believe it--even after all the problems you've had (which, now that I think about it, was the whole friggin' point, eh?)

Bob,

Nerobro is giving you sound advice. I am sure that he is tired of all the nincompoop's (how in the hell is that word spelled anyway? ) swayed by the mystical allure of "Low Pressure", who don't know what they are doing, who all run into the same problems, then post all the same questions, and in the end have totally screwed up their guns, wasted a lot of money, and become disenchanted and pissed off. And I think that his tactics are wise. Hopefully, he'll scare a few of them off from trying something that they are not really prepared for.

But you seem to know what you up against, and if you are ready to "waste" hundreds of dollars and endure countless hours of frustration, then dude, GO FOR IT!

Just remember, the prize is not the destination, but the journey...

Black Dragun FAQ
Old 03-06-2002, 06:58 PM #14
bob
Banned

Thanks for your support. I've already bought everything I believe I need and have had hours of frustration. Heck I've gone through 3 20 oz tanks. I was trying to get some pointers from people who already did this to their gun. Just to let you know my set up was a pure energy reg, 32 degrees spring kit, drilled va, stock bolt with venturie pulled out, magna port valve+valve pin, polished the internals, stainless steel hose, check it on/off adaptor, and a check it dragon series 2 barrel. I am also running Co2 untill money allows nitro, which won't be for awhile. Please point out anything I'm missing to make it work on my gun.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:11 AM #15
Nerobro

It may never work on your gun :-/ The only way I can garuntee LP to work on a spyder clone is to bore out the lower tube, put in a fatty striker, and put in the AKALMP low pressure kit.