PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-22-2002, 09:34 PM #1
-=Dykain=-

has been a member for 10 years
First Marker

I'm buying my first marker soon. I got a good offer on a JT for like 70$ from my friend. I still have to buy the gear, and some extra paintballs. Is this a good offer for a first marker, or should I wait and save up for an angel?
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2002, 11:38 PM #2
mmhsval

You wont by buying an angel for a long time, to get an angel and everything else you need to make it run well will cost around $1500, and there is no use getting one untill you have several years of paintball experience. If you haven't already go and play a few times at you local field before buying your own gun. When asking people about which gun to get make sure you asked experienced players like the refs and the people who work in the proshop.
PMI 68/30
Old 02-22-2002, 11:39 PM #3
mmhsval

Oh yeah i forgot to add, make sure you get a good mask. JT spectras are good and the new DYE Invision mask looks nice too.
PMI 68/30
Old 02-23-2002, 12:43 PM #4
bacon182
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You would not understand angel, being it your first gun everything will be hard for you, u have to understand compressed air, have to under stand angels, have to no what kind of paint to shoot with the darn gun. I say for your first gun do what every other person in the universe does and buy a spyder or custom98
Old 02-23-2002, 03:27 PM #5
ForgedSpeed

If he is selling you a JT 4.0 not 3.0, go ahead and get it. They run flawlessly on Co2 and the barrel isnt half bad. No upgrades are necessary, unless you want to do a trigger job.

AIM: ForgedSpeed
Email: ForgedSpeed@Cox.net

My Feedback

Need advice on your next marker purchase? Click here
Old 02-23-2002, 05:12 PM #6
Black Ice 72
Banned

Dude, angels suck and they aren't what everyone makes them out to be. Well, they don't SUCK, but they have so much unuseful crap on them. Believe me, you will be SO much more impressed with something like an intimidator. Intimmys come stock with an ACE and cost like 400 less than angels (dependnig upon which one you get).

Angels are just for people who want looks at the field. Why do you think Ground Zero dropped their angels for timmys?
Old 02-23-2002, 10:34 PM #7
ForgedSpeed

I couldnt agree more!

The only way i think you are gonna get a good value of out one is if you get the old stock ones thats are like 900 bucks. But you dont get the blinding flashy milling.

AIM: ForgedSpeed
Email: ForgedSpeed@Cox.net

My Feedback

Need advice on your next marker purchase? Click here

Last edited by ForgedSpeed : 02-23-2002 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:01 PM #8
Black Ice 72
Banned

Yeah, angels have just gotten plain, old stupid lately. Check out the new IR3's. Yeah, I think it's pretty INTERESTING that there is an "instant messanging" service but exactly how often do you plan on using this service on the field? I think paintball guns are getting a liiiittle out of hand now.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:55 AM #9
SnipingYou

Red face Angels

I think that Angels are way over rated. Everyone thinks they are the gun of all guns. No, hate to break it. I have a spyder classic or used to before I sold it and got a shutter .. and am about to get another gun (currently own 2) Shutter and Shocker 4x4. My classic could out shoot an angel. Yes, a $130 gun outshooting a expensive piece of ****. The only thing you pay for is the **** you dont need. Like the lcd **** they have these days, messaging services on a gun? umm... gay. That is a little out of hand. And the stuff that is compatible or the n2 tankes you get for angels are like .. as much as the ****in gun .. if not the same or half of it. RIPP OFF!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:04 PM #10
Black Ice 72
Banned

SnipingYou, just tone that language down a tid bit. Little too many *'s for my eyes.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:07 PM #11
paintballpimp21
Team Bloodhounds

$70 is not a bad deal. but i would look around on the net and for about 150 you can get a package deal on many different kinds of guns. but i would go with either a tippman or spider cause many people around the fields know how to fix them when something goes wrong and can give you first hand info on the guns! goodluck!
Old 03-01-2002, 12:19 AM #12
dtm410

Which marker to get

I agree. A tippmann 98 custom or a spyder. Decent markers for the money. Plenty of upgrades available. Good resale value if and when you decide you like the sport and want to move into something better. It will also give you time to learn about the different markers and which one fits your style of play.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:58 PM #13
TeamDynamic
Your Gone Thank U!!

you guys are just haters of angels .just because you dont have one doesnt mean you can talk sh*t you dont know about.so just shut the f*ck up!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 12:37 AM #14
dtm410

First Marker

I agree that flaming the angel is unwarranted. They are a little pricey, but quality is. But to get back to the theme of this thread, I sure would not recommend an angel as a "first marker". For a first marker, Tippmann and Spyder come to mind. The deal for a $70 JT doesn't sound bad either. Remember, this guy still has gear to buy. He can alway upgrade the marker later when he has some gear and knows more about the sport. Everyone I know did it that way.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:10 PM #15
xXHavokXx
fluffy bunny of DOOM!!!

Id definately go Spyder for a first, tippman is nice but sometimes they are more tempremental than the spyder and the spyder has more upgrade and doesnt make that loud *ka thud* when it shoots no matter what barrel. Ohhh wait someone is instant messaging my angel, ohhh no little billy fell in a well...i must go save the day....bleh go spyder then timmy or cocker
-Worr Paint Distro.

Joy Division Death Cannon
03 Retro-Speed Fly LED Doom gun
Old 03-10-2002, 05:30 PM #16
Black Ice 72
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TeamDynamic
you guys are just haters of angels .just because you dont have one doesnt mean you can talk sh*t you dont know about.so just shut the f*ck up!!!!!!!!
Calm down. I don't HATE angels. I could have had one, but I decided to get a timmy with upgrades instead.

I have used angels so much because all of my teammates have them so I know about them. I LOVE the feel of angels, I just think people can do better with their money.

The reason is simple. Angels don't come with an ACE, timmys do. Angels have 26 firing modes and you only really use 1 (semi auto). Timmys only come with 4 firing modes or something like that.

Timmys have a great price tag on them so you can have more money to get upgrades.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:35 PM #17
Bob_Cock
I bent my wookie

It all depends on what you want to do. I had a Spyder Compact 2k and quickly realized i wanted something better. I should have bought a mag or a cocker off the bat. I sold my Spyder and picked up a used mag after a few months. (bought the Spyder in March, sold it in June.)
I'd say skip the lower end markers and go for something you know you'll be happy with, If you know you'll be playing paintball for a long time.
Unless you'll be happy with a lower end marker. My one buddy loves his Pirahna and doesnt feel the need to upgrade.

I don't like Angels at all. I've messed around with them a few times, same with the Timmy's. I like the Timmy's better but that's my own preference. I don't think they're all they're cracked up to be. Along with that, you can get a gun that's just as good without the empty wallet. I find cockers can shoot just as fast. I shoot just as fast as my buddy, he's got a timmy and i have a beat up olf mag on CO2. I'm not so sure with the accuracy, we play alot of outdoors and the wind is a pain most of the time. Never really benchmarked all our markers, so this is just half assed study period.
I'm sure the arguing over what gun reigns supreme will be going on till everyones old and grey so who cares. It's all preference anyway.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:34 PM #18
larsenddt

to all the angel flamers out there....all this talk about timmys? they are butt ugly and looks way too bulky...theres nothin like an angel and the guy said the he had a 130 dollor gun that shoots faster than an angel? highly doubt that...so dont knock angels...your just mad cuz you dont have one!!!! hahahahaa!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2002, 08:26 PM #19
Bob_Cock
I bent my wookie

I'm not flaming angels, i just don't like em.
I don't have one, don't want one either.
If some guy gave me an angel, i'd sell it so i could buy a gun i like.
i could probably tack on a HPA system along with it too, damn angels are overpriced.
It's just my opinion.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:40 PM #20
BigDog

DONT GET A SPIDER, i think its the worst thing you could do is waist your money on a spyder. You should go for a gun like a Timmpman or a Autococker for that matter. They are not that bad in price and they are dependable. I own both they both work good. And when your ready to start tournments then you can upgrade them.

Email me
Old 03-11-2002, 09:02 PM #21
larsenddt

angels are overpriced because of the raw materials and the cost of labor to make em