Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-18-2004, 10:16 PM #64
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally posted by captsarcastic69
Whats stopping terrorists is that there arent that many of them and they arent that well organized. This is due in large part to the massive pressure that law enforcement and intelligence puts on them however. Defending against terrorism on a national level is a simple cost-benfit analsis. cost of anti-terror efforts x lessened probability of attack < cost of major terrorist attack. In case no one noticed 9-11 and the resulting bullshiat is THE major factor in the economic downturn we are in right now.
Well minus the reported swear filter avoidance...

Prove 9-11 had a major, longterm, economic impact. Like, as in, sources.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2004, 10:20 PM #65
JLothrop

Quote:
Originally posted by SlingerXL

I hope you DO hit someone with an economical, fuel efficient, practical car and you go to jail for being a selfish *******.
I'd agree except I'd just as soon nobody dies for something so stupid as the fact that your selfish *******.

POWERED BY:
DYE PRECISION, Shocktech USA, BBT, the Badlandz, the Grindhouse, Krush Skate Park, KEE ACTION SPORTS, RPS, HALO, NXE, VIRTUE
Old 08-18-2004, 10:21 PM #66
captsarcastic69

www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-02-700R

This speaks nothing of the potentially more damaging economic consequences of lagging consumer confidence.

Sorry, pwned.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:26 PM #67
PB Commando
!

technology can only advance so fast i would think (and hope) that if they had the kind of technology to make safer more effiecent cars it would be in mass production right now. Terroism on the other hand is not something that happens everyday and can be prevented to a certain extent. No matter how safe you make the cars there will always stupid drivers who drink and drive and dont follow the laws of the road. Point being Terroism is a problem that can hopefully be adressed with immediately or some time in the new future making it not so big of a threat for us.

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. There are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All This I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the Kingodm of Salvation take me home?"
Old 08-18-2004, 10:26 PM #68
galli2001
•Killer•

You really set yourself up for that one Slinger.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:07 PM #69
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-02-700R

This speaks nothing of the potentially more damaging economic consequences of lagging consumer confidence.

Sorry, pwned.
Quote:
Originally posted by galli2001
You really set yourself up for that one Slinger.
Uh huh. I acknowledge that as a reputable source. I hope you do too.

So when it says a total of 83 billion dollar minus 67 billion from insurance which comes out to 16 billion dollars total in losses, I assume you trust it. Now, maybe I'm just an optimist, but how would 16 billion dollars throw us into a recession that's still going on 3 years later? I'm not saying it's chump change, but when you factor in the fact our economy was in the ****ter the first year bush was in office BEFORE 9-11 happened, what does that mean?

Excellent try. You almost had me if I hadn't read past the title. Thanks for helping my case more than yours. It helped me so much, I'm thinking about ignoring what was said on page 5. I don't expect you to have read that far so here's a quote:
Quote:
We did not validate models or data.
Not taken out of context or anything. Bold headline.

Last edited by SlingerXL : 08-18-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:16 PM #70
captsarcastic69

A loss is a loss no matter whether insurers pay or not. The money didnt just appear from no where--it was removed from the economy. We also shut down the NYC exchanges for several days which cost countless billions and like I said the biggie is consumer confidence.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:19 PM #71
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
A loss is a loss no matter whether insurers pay or not. The money didnt just appear from no where--it was removed from the economy. We also shut down the NYC exchanges for several days which cost countless billions and like I said the biggie is consumer confidence.
Hello? That report you gave me FACTORED THAT IN ALREADY. Or did you not read it all? I didn't expect you to.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:28 PM #72
captsarcastic69

Sorry, it didnt. I reread it. Wrong again...no need to be snippy though.

You are getting away from the issue though as well. How many 87 billions will it take for you to notice?
87 Billion doesnt factor in the emotional loss of the victims family or the value of the lives themselves. Is a life worth only what the person can monetarily earn in a lifetime? I know a lot of people who value ME more than that.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:30 PM #73
JLothrop

and then we come back to the number of people who die in car accidents..........

POWERED BY:
DYE PRECISION, Shocktech USA, BBT, the Badlandz, the Grindhouse, Krush Skate Park, KEE ACTION SPORTS, RPS, HALO, NXE, VIRTUE
Old 08-18-2004, 11:32 PM #74
captsarcastic69

It didnt mention consumer confidence to clarify.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:37 PM #75
captsarcastic69

Quote:
Originally posted by P8le Dricmade
My mouth just opened wide up with that.

Comparing cars and guns to massive terrorist attacks. Well, I'll put it this way. 1000 negros killing 1000 other negros is not going to make stocks drop thousands of points, along with billions and billions and BILLIONS in physical damage.

You can't think of terrorism on the basis of "WOW, a couple thousand people died, that sucks. But, we must think about guns and cars! They kill more per year." Terrorist attacks hit us on a national moral and economic level.

EDIT: Drake, I hate you. I didn't read ONE post in this thread [yours] and that post was similar to mine!
I agree with this guy. I think pragmatically and I have been more affected at this point by terrorism than by a car wreck (which would likely continue to be the case due to insurance and the fact that terror clauses are and have been quid pro quo).
Old 08-18-2004, 11:53 PM #76
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Sorry, it didnt. I reread it. Wrong again...no need to be snippy though.

You are getting away from the issue though as well. How many 87 billions will it take for you to notice?
87 Billion doesnt factor in the emotional loss of the victims family or the value of the lives themselves. Is a life worth only what the person can monetarily earn in a lifetime? I know a lot of people who value ME more than that.
Ugh. Now you're straying from the point that your study proved 9-11 couldn't have caused a recession that was going on BEFORE 9-11 even happened. But, just to be safe I shot off an email to GAO asking what the real longterm impacts 9-11 had and what they meant by "67 billion dollars would be covered by insurance."

I trust their answer will satisfy you and I since they are a nonpartisan agency.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:56 PM #77
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
I agree with this guy. I think pragmatically and I have been more affected at this point by terrorism than by a car wreck (which would likely continue to be the case due to insurance and the fact that terror clauses are and have been quid pro quo).
Statistics say you will have 2 life threatening car wrecks in your lifetime (circa my driving instructor, if I cared enough I'd find soemthing online, but fortunately, I don't). I'll just wait till that happens then we'll see what you say then.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:56 PM #78
captsarcastic69

"Nonpartisan agency" is an oxymoron if I've ever heard one but you were still dead wrong trying to call me out that I hadnt read my own link. Sorry.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:59 PM #79
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
"Nonpartisan agency" is an oxymoron if I've ever heard one but you were still dead wrong trying to call me out that I hadnt read my own link. Sorry.
Then I guess you just chose to ignore that bold headline that said their facts weren't checked.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:26 AM #80
captsarcastic69

I trust the General Accouting Office of the United States' best guess over your supposition any day and we could go out onto the street and I think that everyone else would agree with me.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:30 AM #81
Brewmaster
You guys suck.

Quote:
I'm not saying it's chump change, but when you factor in the fact our economy was in the ****ter the first year bush was in office BEFORE 9-11 happened, what does that mean?
It tells ME that the economy was screwed up by the previous regime. 8 months is not enough time to tank an economy, especially with all the vacation time you guys keep *****ing that the President took during that time.

"Hello, 911? It's Quagmire. Yeah, it's caught in the window this time." - Quagmire

"I don't understand the point of this thread..." - zack

Back to school special! Your quote could be sigged here for as little as 25 cents per day! PM me for details.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:32 AM #82
captsarcastic69

Thanks for the support Brew. Clinton caught the tech bubble and soaked it up.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:35 AM #83
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by Brewmaster
It tells ME that the economy was screwed up by the previous regime. 8 months is not enough time to tank an economy, especially with all the vacation time you guys keep *****ing that the President took during that time.
Wouldn't all that vacation time prevent him from doing presidential duties, such as, terror memos, and economic strategies?

Capt, you need all the support you can get seeing as none of your arguements ever hold water.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:38 AM #84
Brewmaster
You guys suck.

Maybe, if the vacation time is as bad as you said, but I was taking advantage of your slipup and getting in the shot you gave me

"Hello, 911? It's Quagmire. Yeah, it's caught in the window this time." - Quagmire

"I don't understand the point of this thread..." - zack

Back to school special! Your quote could be sigged here for as little as 25 cents per day! PM me for details.