Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-16-2004, 12:39 PM #22
JLothrop

has been a member for 10 years
Good another guy with "connections"

POWERED BY:
DYE PRECISION, Shocktech USA, BBT, the Badlandz, the Grindhouse, Krush Skate Park, KEE ACTION SPORTS, RPS, HALO, NXE, VIRTUE
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2004, 12:49 PM #23
DirtyDrake
Hereeeeeeeee's Johnny

Quote:
Originally posted by SlingerXL
There are MUCH bigger threats than terrorism. Car and guns come to mind. How about putting more seat belts laws into effect and better MPG laws without all the loopholes for ginormous cars? That'd lessen our dependency on foriegn oil a lot if handled correctly which I don't think Bush can do based on his record. *Action shot of No Child Left Behind being burned at the stake*
the typical Democrat's mindset like this it is precisely why there is no doubt I won't be voting for John Kerry. It is why I'm actively supporting elements campaigning against him.

Since when does social and economic issues become more important than peoples lives? The worst case scenario that I can think of would be finding out that Al Qaeda detonated a nuclear bomb in downtown Manhattan, do you really want to take that chance? The threat is real and the possibility of it happening is there and you know if Al Qaeda could they would do it in a second.

Who cares about the seatbelt laws, if people are smart and want to protect themselves they will use them. You can't expect Government to pass a law and everyone is going to abide by it. NY's Seatbelt Law and Ban on Using Cellphones While Driving Law are total jokes and they are only state tax revenue raising schemes. How about NY's Smoking Ban? Just more Government intervention to force people to conform to someone else's standards. Democrats like to talk about the Republicans stealing peoples individual freedoms but if you are honest you would see that Democrats or no better, they limit people of their choices all the time.

I don't like anyone limiting my choices on what vehicle I can buy or not. If I can afford one of those huge gas guzzling trucks and am willing to pay the disgustingly expensive costs of filling that vehicle than why shouldn't it be my choice and not yours. Those tax credits your speaking of is only available to businesses. They give them incentive to invest money into their business and which generates more business for the automotive industry = more jobs.

What is so bad about No Child Left Behind? Why is it wrong to have standards and to hold schools accountable for their teaching effectiveness? Status qou is not cutting it, change is needed and should not be feared if anything it should be embraced.
Life is not just a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
--unknown
Old 08-16-2004, 01:18 PM #24
P8le Dricmade
Magicians never die

Quote:
There are MUCH bigger threats than terrorism. Car and guns come to mind.
My mouth just opened wide up with that.

Comparing cars and guns to massive terrorist attacks. Well, I'll put it this way. 1000 negros killing 1000 other negros is not going to make stocks drop thousands of points, along with billions and billions and BILLIONS in physical damage.

You can't think of terrorism on the basis of "WOW, a couple thousand people died, that sucks. But, we must think about guns and cars! They kill more per year." Terrorist attacks hit us on a national moral and economic level.

EDIT: Drake, I hate you. I didn't read ONE post in this thread [yours] and that post was similar to mine!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:31 PM #25
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
So the deaths of 5 times as many people as died in 9-11 per YEAR, doesn't carry any economic impact at all?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:37 PM #26
P8le Dricmade
Magicians never die

Quote:
So the deaths of 5 times as many people as died in 9-11 per YEAR, doesn't carry any economic impact at all?
It's a steady fall that CAN be combatted.

Let's put it this way. You have 10000 shares of XYZ on 9/10/01. On 9/17/01 (or whatever day it reopened) you and millions others are broke.

OR

On 2/10/03 you have 10000 shares of XYY (of course, because XYZ is bankrupt already). By 2/17/03 XYY goes down 10% because a couple workers were shot and productivity was down.

Many deaths by guns are accidents and by policemen. Many deaths in cars are by accidents. Terrorism is flat out murder destined to more importantly hurt the country economically and morally.

I'm not here to denounce any claim that guns and car accidents don't kill many people. I'm clarifying what I believe is an almost obvious assertion.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:28 PM #27
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by DirtyDrake
I don't like anyone limiting my choices on what vehicle I can buy or not. If I can afford one of those huge gas guzzling trucks and am willing to pay the disgustingly expensive costs of filling that vehicle than why shouldn't it be my choice and not yours.
Typical. Think of yourself and not the implications those actions may have on others. Environmental damage and greater need for foreign oil are just two.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:35 PM #28
zack

kjjm4: thanks for the correction.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:50 PM #29
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by P8le Dricmade
It's a steady fall that CAN be combatted.
It's hardly a steady fall. Since the 1970's deathtraps, we've only had a 6% decrease in car deaths, not factoring in the huge population growth which may or may not counteract this 6%.
http://www.facts-1.com/crashfacts.htm

Yes, it can be combatted, by seatbelt laws mostly. But there are a stubborn and selfish few who think that a law that prevents literally tearing apart families will restrict their freedom too much to do any good. I'm sure these are the same people that endorse the Patriot Act.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:29 PM #30
elTwitcho

Quote:

I don't like anyone limiting my choices on what vehicle I can buy or not. If I can afford one of those huge gas guzzling trucks and am willing to pay the disgustingly expensive costs of filling that vehicle than why shouldn't it be my choice and not yours.
Why should my having to pay higher gas prices because you asshats are getting 3 mpg in your idiot mobiles be YOUR choice? Why should I have to worry about your bumper being the height of my window in an accident because YOU made the choice to drive a car you don't need? Why the **** should I have to put up with 10-15 smog days a year where the air quality is so ****ty the government advises people not to go outside because you're stupid?

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
Old 08-16-2004, 07:36 PM #31
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by elTwitcho
Why should my having to pay higher gas prices because you asshats are getting 3 mpg in your idiot mobiles be YOUR choice?
Hahahahahahahaha!

Quote:
Why should I have to worry about your bumper being the height of my window in an accident because YOU made the choice to drive a car you don't need? Why the **** should I have to put up with 10-15 smog days a year where the air quality is so ****ty the government advises people not to go outside because you're stupid?
Best post I've seen in a while.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:23 PM #32
PB Commando
!

there is only so much u can do to with gun control. Most gun owners use firearms responsibly, unfortuately some people use these for other purposes other than for the sake of sport to commit criminal acts. Is it fair to punish the responsible gun owners when it wasn't their fault? To buy a gun you already have to be screened to make sure they dont have any past criminal offences or on other related topics. Hypothetically if there was a ban on firearms to civillians, criminals would still find them. Most of you can probably relate to this thorugh paintball.

So as u can see Terroism seems to be a much bigger problem than Guns.

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. There are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All This I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the Kingodm of Salvation take me home?"
Old 08-16-2004, 09:43 PM #33
bern

Quote:
Yes, it can be combatted, by seatbelt laws mostly. But there are a stubborn and selfish few who think that a law that prevents literally tearing apart families will restrict their freedom too much to do any good. I'm sure these are the same people that endorse the Patriot Act.
I disagree with both. Nobody has the right to make a law forcing me to protect myself. If i am hurting nobody it is nobody's business. I hate the patriot act as well because it takes away many of my civil liberties.

Now then back on topic. yes terrorist attacks are not good, but much worse things kill many more. Pollution from 8 utilities alone kill 6,000 people a year. source that is compared to the the 3,000 one a single ocassion. since that attack pollution has killed 18,000. do you see the government spending 40 billion on the epa? no. they get 7.6 billion and the government not allowing them to impose pollution restricting laws. that is just one example. other things kill many more people.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:51 PM #34
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Can you say, Cheney?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:54 PM #35
DreadLock Doc
Love Me, Don't Bother Me

Annual Supporting Member
DreadLock Doc is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Oli Lang
what was the other besides 9/11?
The first WTC bombing.

The Oklahoma City bombing was an act of domestic terrorism. McVeigh blew up the building in retaliation for the botched Waco raid.

Last edited by DreadLock Doc : 08-16-2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:16 PM #36
zack

Dread....your sig is godly....
Old 08-16-2004, 11:34 PM #37
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

What's it from?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:28 AM #38
bern

Quote:
Can you say, Cheney?
yes. and bush. interesting how america kills at least 14,000 in its war on terror, when the terrorists killed 3,000.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:51 AM #39
Westopher
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Cool

Really? Terrorists have only killed 3,000 people to date?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:40 AM #40
DirtyDrake
Hereeeeeeeee's Johnny

Quote:
Why should my having to pay higher gas prices because you asshats are getting 3 mpg in your idiot mobiles be YOUR choice? Why should I have to worry about your bumper being the height of my window in an accident because YOU made the choice to drive a car you don't need? Why the **** should I have to put up with 10-15 smog days a year where the air quality is so ****ty the government advises people not to go outside because you're stupid?

please dispense with the name calling and swearing I don't play that game.
How is that you can tell someone what they need or don't need (sounds like the Republicans and FMA)? If YOU are worried about gas prices than choose to buy a hybrid. If the air quality sucks where you are then get out of the city and choose to live somewhere else where the air is cleaner. If you are afraid of the monstrously oversized vehicles on the road then do what I do pay particular attention to them, avoid them if possible and drive safely..
Life is not just a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
--unknown
Old 08-17-2004, 12:10 PM #41
Westopher
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Cool

I do tend to agree that altho at first glace large un-needed cars seem like a private luxery, they do affect everyone else.
So what we really need then, is ALOT more government control.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:32 PM #42
elTwitcho

Quote:
please dispense with the name calling and swearing I don't play that game.
How is that you can tell someone what they need or don't need (sounds like the Republicans and FMA)? If YOU are worried about gas prices than choose to buy a hybrid. If the air quality sucks where you are then get out of the city and choose to live somewhere else where the air is cleaner. If you are afraid of the monstrously oversized vehicles on the road then do what I do pay particular attention to them, avoid them if possible and drive safely..
That's ignorant, why should the world accomodate you because you've made the decision to act stupid and think solely of yourself? Why should everyone move away from you because you can't see past your nose? If someone moved next door to you and dug an open sewage pit in their backyard would you say "well damn, guess I better move away from this guy"? If he threw broken glass all over your lawn and then said "You should pay extra attention where you're walking man" would you say "Oh darn, you're so right"? Your opinion is so self centered and ignorant it's hard to even believe someone feels that way.

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock