PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-15-2004, 05:02 PM #22
JLothrop

has been a member for 10 years
Writting a text book DEFFINETLY doesn't make you a scientist... It makes you a good researcher...

However, I never said an M.D. CAN'T be a scientist (or vise versa), I just said they are not synonymous...

POWERED BY:
DYE PRECISION, Shocktech USA, BBT, the Badlandz, the Grindhouse, Krush Skate Park, KEE ACTION SPORTS, RPS, HALO, NXE, VIRTUE
Old 08-15-2004, 05:08 PM #23
The Dread Pirate
Warning: Choking Hazard

The Dread Pirate is a Supporting Member
I'll disagree on that one. I'm looking across the room at my dad's MD from Cornell and it says word for word:

"... Let it be known from this day forward: The 13th day of June in the year nineteen hundred and eighty that Alan Wynn is a doctor of the Science of Medicine..."

Or how bout one from Princeton reading:

"... a doctorate in the scientific field of Biological Chemistry and Microscopic Biology..."
Old 08-15-2004, 05:21 PM #24
JLothrop

Yes he is a doctor of the science... Not a researcher... not a scientist... a doctor...

a doctor is:"A person, especially a physician, dentist, or veterinarian, trained in the healing arts and licensed to practice.
A person who has earned the highest academic degree awarded by a university in a specified discipline."

a scientist (in my mind) carries a certain nuance that implies research and not simply somone who is extrememly intelligent...

POWERED BY:
DYE PRECISION, Shocktech USA, BBT, the Badlandz, the Grindhouse, Krush Skate Park, KEE ACTION SPORTS, RPS, HALO, NXE, VIRTUE
Old 08-15-2004, 05:25 PM #25
crucial_fiction
Huh??!!

crucial_fiction is a Supporting Member
the ignorance makes me giggle
Old 08-15-2004, 05:30 PM #26
The Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by JLothrop
Yes he is a doctor of the science... Not a researcher... not a scientist... a doctor...

a doctor is:"A person, especially a physician, dentist, or veterinarian, trained in the healing arts and licensed to practice.
A person who has earned the highest academic degree awarded by a university in a specified discipline."

a scientist (in my mind) carries a certain nuance that implies research and not simply somone who is extrememly intelligent...
Let me re-post this if you didnt catch it the first time:

Quote:
sci·en·tist ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sn-tst)
n.
A person having expert knowledge of one or more sciences, especially a natural or physical science

med·i·cine ( P ) Pronunciation Key (md-sn)
n.

The science of diagnosing, treating, or preventing disease and other damage to the body or mind.
The branch of this science encompassing treatment by drugs, diet, exercise, and other nonsurgical means

phy·si·cian ( P ) Pronunciation Key (f-zshn)
n.
A person licensed to practice medicine; a medical doctor.
A person who practices general medicine as distinct from surgery
Old 08-15-2004, 05:35 PM #27
JLothrop

How is that ignorant?

1. I pointed out that the word I felt (didn't say it did for everyone, didn't even say it did for others, I said it did for me)carried a certain nuance...

2. I used a dictionary deffinition

3. I put the two together in an attempt to suggest that maybe, just maybe, the word scientist had a little more meaning then just someone who has a degree (whether that be doctorate or otherwise) in science...

Maybe it's poorly articulated... however, no where is there ignorance...

In my opinion though a scientist when the word is used in a real life situation is more then simply someone who studies or has studied science...

POWERED BY:
Old 08-15-2004, 05:38 PM #28
JLothrop

let me refine that slightly...

In my opinion a scientist when the word is used in a real life situation is more then simply somone who has an expert knowledge in science...

POWERED BY:
Old 08-15-2004, 05:40 PM #29
JLothrop

Oh here's the ignorance... using a text book deffinition to suggest something else have non-text book deffinition was an ignorant way of handling that... Maybe that's what you mean... however I'm pretty sure you were commenting on my opinion and less on the argument...

actually... the more I think about it the more I realize I destroyed any credibility I may have been able to muster... So I'll just shut up...

POWERED BY:

Last edited by JLothrop : 08-15-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:53 PM #30
The Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by JLothrop
actually... the more I think about it the more I realize I destroyed any credibility I may have been able to muster... So I'll just shut up...
Yep. Theres a time when ya just gotta quit while you're ahead. Some on this forum (not you specificly) very much lack that capacity.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:54 PM #31
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
Anyway, the point is that in this case I don't think they're talking about doctors or including doctors in the petition.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:46 PM #32
crucial_fiction
Huh??!!

Hey Slinger?

would you mind posting the link to said petition? I looked through here and didn't see it..

Thanks

*edit*
N/M found it

Last edited by crucial_fiction : 08-15-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:58 PM #33
The Dread Pirate

Dude, he never posts sources for anything, why even bother?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:59 PM #34
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by crucial_fiction
Hey Slinger?

would you mind posting the link to said petition? I looked through here and didn't see it..

Thanks
...It's a piece of paper not a website. If you wish for more sources do a good search for "4000 scientists petition bush" or something like that. Include "48 nobel laureates" to get more accurate info.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:00 PM #35
crucial_fiction
Huh??!!

I still like to read into both sides of every story...I'm unbiased like that...I think EVERYONE has an agenda of somekind...I just like to weigh in both sides and form my own opinions...
Old 08-15-2004, 10:04 PM #36
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dread Pirate
Dude, he never posts sources for anything, why even bother?
I post sources for 99% of what I post. This is taken from Wired News. If I had posted just, "4000 scientists signed a petition of Bush" then I can understand asking for a source, but what I posted IS the source!
Old 08-15-2004, 10:07 PM #37
The Dread Pirate

It is true, everyone that posts has an agenda. Mine is to stop stupidity for the most part. I can tolerate people with different politcal views and very much welcome a good debate (come back Brackis!). Most of the stuff on ST is pure bs that isnt backed with any facts or very slanted ones at that.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:09 PM #38
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Eh, the two official presidential election threads were the best debates I've had since the Evolution vs Creationism thread. Too bad they've trailed off to the end of their lives.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:12 PM #39
crucial_fiction
Huh??!!

Yeah, you guys got here faster than I could edit my post, after I found where he said he got it from Wired News....

and Dread, we talked about that earlier...I'm in 100% agreement with you.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:12 PM #40
The Dread Pirate

There hasnt been a good debate in ST for months, those threads included.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:14 PM #41
crucial_fiction
Huh??!!

Hey damn it..I think I put up a pretty good fight in the legalizing weed thread as to why it wasn't going to be legal without some sort of government control...

even though I lost because everyone wants to get high...but I still won in my eyes cause I really don't care either way it goes
Old 08-15-2004, 10:15 PM #42
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

EVERYONE wins their case in their eyes.