Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:28 PM #1
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

ZeR0 EVOlution is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
ZeR0 EVOlution is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Matrix Vs. (Insert gun name here) thread. Answers all your questions.

Post about comparing guns on the aspects that I used on my posts. No text posts! Thats it!
46/0/0

C'est une grande habileté que de savoir cacher son habilité.

Last edited by ZeR0 EVOlution : 08-10-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2004, 07:28 PM #2
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

Matrix vs. Karnivor

Eye System
Karnivore: The Karnivore comes stock with the E-Blade grip frame hence giving it a reflective eye system. The reflective eye works by searching for a paintball by sending a beam through the breech of the gun. If a paintball crosses that beam, the eye system gets an immediate pulse sent back to it to know the gun is ready to fire. However, the reflective eyes have some problems with black paint and on most markers, it has been fixed. Anyhow, the reflective eye must be installed precisely or else it won’t work well.

Matrix: The Trix uses break beam eyes, the same ones found on Vikings, Excaliburs, Intimidators (first guns to use the system), Bushmasters, Race Gun trigger frames and now Angels. These eyes are the best ones on the market seeing as how they don't look for a paintball to clear the breech, they just want the beam to break. It first came on the Classic Intimidators and now you can find it in almost any other gun. An excellent system far superior to that of the reflective eye.

Bolt Design and Air Conservation:
Karni: The Karnivore works like an Autococker (considering it is one ) and hence uses the closed bolt operating system. It is stationary in the forward position and when fired, it uses are to project the ball, moves back for a ball to feed and then moves forward back to its normal position. To get the most out of this system, one must time the gun properly. This is a hastle to do but it is not difficult. It is just like setting the dwell for a normal electro. However, you ALSO have to set the dwell on the gun itself. You can semi-cure the amount of timing needed to the gun by getting the $200+ Nexus kit but it still required timing. You also need a new ram with QEVs and all the like, just more money to spend. Air conservation is fairly decent with around 1400+ shots off a 68/4500 tank.

Matrix: The Matrix uses the spool valve bolt system. It is the same system found on the Shocker (the posing marker of the Matrix). The system is very inefficient stock but for $130, you can purchase an Evolve bolt kit and hence up your efficiency ten fold. It is a smart system that was unpopular and now is one of the best on the market. Definitely better then the closed bolt system which cannot fire as fast as a Matrix (registered at 36 CPS) due to its firing system.

Weight:
Karni: The ‘Cocker is actually quite light compared to other ‘Cockers. It is decently weighed in around 2.7 pounds, not bad. The gun is very light and comes milled down to the bone, a great feature. This gun has one thing I’ll give it and that is its weight.

Matrix: The Matrix weighs around 3.4 pounds, give or take a few ounces. The gun however, is never considered heavy in game because you aren’t concentrating on what is in your hand, you’re looking at what is in front of you. I’ve never met a Trix owner who cried about its weight, they always say the gun rules and has zero kick. That’s the way to do it guys.

LPR:
Karni: Of course the gun has one, it is an Autococker. However, the system that you set it is entirely different from my experience. The gun runs around 100 PSI bolt pressure (it needs to move the back block too, not just the bolt). This isn’t bad but without eyes, you CAN chop. Not a good sign. Luckily, the gun comes with eyes stock but if they ever break, make sure your halo can keep up with you.

Matrix: The Matrix operates roughly around 45 PSI seeing as how it only has one moving part. Without eyes, this is a wonder because it just bounces off paint. No one complains about having an original Gen-E Matrix because of this (they did not have eyes). This is a good sign because it tells you that you won’t have many chopping problems with a DYE Matrix since it comes stock with eyes. Kudos for the Matrix.

Price:
Karni: At PBGear.com, the Karni runs for $1,175. With this you supposedly get the best marker on the market. You also have to purchase the Nexus internals and I personally don’t know if they come with QEVs but if not, you have to get those too. That’s a lot of money to spend for the best gun on the market.

Matrix: The DYE Trix at PBGear.com is $825. It comes with everything you need minus the bolt kit. With the stock kit, you’ll get roughly 1000 shots off a 68/4500 tank. For $135, you can get the Evolve bolt kit and that will get you 1750 shots off your 68/4500 tank. That’s still plenty less then the Karni.

Conclusion
Just get the Trix. It is cheaper and doesn’t need to be timed. It may weigh more but if you complain about that, you need to be hitting the gym, not paintballing.
46/0/0

Old 08-10-2004, 08:59 PM #3
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

Matrix vs. 03 Shocker

The 03 Shocker is a complete spoof of the Matrix design. The Matrix was the first spool valve design marker (that I know of) and when released, the design was incredibly unpopular. People however decided to give the gun a shot. After the markers started to get produced more and more, people started making aftermarket parts for the gun. This also helped jump the sales of the Matrix. Then DYE comes along and buys out the patent for the Matrix. If I remember my pb history well enough, Smart Parts asked for legal clearence and when given, designed the Shocker which was the second spool valve marker. It was lighter and "built on a better platform" (if you believe that, you HAVE to buy the Shocker). DYE wouldn't think of this, it would ruin their sales. Hence they released the DM4 but thats a whole new story.

Anyway, here is the comparison:

Eyes:
Shocker: The Shocker uses the standard vision Cricket board that SP released for their Impulse line of markers. This means that the guns still use a reflective eye system. This system works like so: the eye is turned on and shoots a laser across the breech of the marker. As soon as a paintball falls in the laser, the eye reads it as a paintball. The beam bounces off the ball and returns back to the optic eye and the marker is allowed to fire. The reflective eye has some problems with seeing black paint which was one big problem SP users had on their guns (take it from me, it wasn't fun when I had my Imp). Try taking a laser point and pointing it on stuff. It is always bright and has a red halo around the dot when pointed at anything. However, as soon as it gets to black, it is barely visable. The same concept is applied here. However, you can get the WAS board mod done which uses a WAS board and beam break eyes. However, the mod is expensive and costs $300.

Matrix: The Matrix from the get go has break beam eyes. The system was originally introduced by Bob Long back in 2001 with his Classic Intimidator paintball line of markers. Since then, they have been a hit to tournament players around the world. The eye system works differently from the reflective eye system. Rather then looking for paint, the optic eye shoots a beam across to the receiver eye and waits for a disruption. As soon as something breaks the beam, it allows the marker to fire. It doesn't look for a paintball perse’ (sp?), but more for something to break the beam. A better design and well worth the money in my opinion.

Shocker: The Shocker, like stated above, uses the spool valve bolt design. However, the design of it limits to the amount of air the gun can conserve while shooting. This was always a problem with the spool valve design on markers. Therefore, the gun was a gas hog. Aftermarket bolt kits were released with the most popular being the Evolve. However, here in lies the problem. Due to the design, the bolt kit is limited in how much air conservation it can have. Using a standard 68/4500 tank (stock), a Shocker can only get 1000 shots off a full fill. The design is more practical, I’ll give it that much. However, it is not good enough to let you have high numbers in the conservation area. Then Evolve released the Evolve bolt kit. Off a 68/4500 tank, you can get 1500 shots off a full fill. However, you cant get anything more then that, trust me. People would sit down and lie about the numbers they’d get out of their tanks so Evolve once set up an event and said if anyone can beat the numbers we get out of our Shocker, we will give you the gun and a free bolt kit. No one beat them.

Matrix. The Matrix design was better built then the Shockers. Notice that originals are always the best. The Matrix bolt kit uses 7 different pieces and I believe 16 o-rings. The stock Image bolt kit gives a user roughly 1000 shots off a 68/4500 fill, the same as the Shocker. However, the bolt kit design allows for aftermarket companies to fine tune the guns air efficiency. When Evolve stepped in, they promised 1750 shots AT LEAST from their bolt kits. When I purchased mine and used my 70/4500 tank, I was getting a minimum of 2100 shots off a full fill. Off a 68/3000, I would get roughly 1100 shots off a full fill, the same as a Viking, stock, out of the box. These numbers are far more impressive then that of the Shockers. I’m sorry but more is better in this case.

Weight:
Shocker: I’ll give this gun something for it being out on the market and that is its weight. The gun weighs less then any other marker out on the shelves (except the A-Bomb Intimidator). It weighs an astonished 1.4 LBS! However, less is not always more like the case aforementioned. In order to make the gun incredibly light, they had to take something out. In this case, it was size. The reg and frame are too closely knit. It is almost impossible to wrap your thumb around the regulator whether it be gas through or Max-Flow. Sadly, this really rubs my carrot the wrong way. I like to wrap off the break and if I cant, this automatically throws the gun out the window for me.

Matrix: Ah yes, the Matrix. The marker that everyone *****es about whenever I go onto forums and see verse threads with this guns name in it. The weight. The stock LED Matrix weighs roughly 3.4 LBS (give or take a few ounces). However, when in game, weight is not really a factor. If you ask any Matrix owner, they’ve never complained about the weight of their guns when on the field. Neither have I. The weight does take a little bit away from the gun but it gives you that sense of feeling that it is more sturdy then most other guns on the market; that it won’t snap when you dive into a bunker. This is truly the best feature of all on this marker alone in my opinion.

LPR:
Shocker: The question that I want to know when looking at any gun really: does it have one. Does the Shocker? No. Can you buy one? Yes. However, this was the problem with all SP guns. You have to go out and buy the part in order for it to make your gun work to its optimum settings. This pisses me off. I just dished out money to buy a gun and now I have to buy an LPR with it. Not really the best thing in the world but hey, it’s a marketing world out there. LPRs allow you to fine tune your gun. Spool valve system guns really don’t use that much pressure to operate. With a spool valve, if you have an LPR you don’t really need eyes because you can set your gun to bounce off paint. If you buy the non-vision Shocker package, you are sadly out of luck.

Matrix: Yes, the marker has one out of the box. Yes, it allows you to fine tune your gun. Without an LPR, you could never get those numbers I mentioned above out of your Evolve bolt kit. The reason so many people love their un-ACEd guns so much is because they can fine tune their guns to bounce off paint. This is absolutely a plus in my book and already puts the Trix far ahead from the Shocker in light of how well the gun performs.

Price:
Shocker: Well the price of the gun is what matters most to some people so lets see what we can find out. From PbGear.com, I located the price of the 03 Shocker. The base gun package (in black) with inline Max-Flow ranges at $850.00. This package does not come with an LPR and I believe comes with the new HE bolt kit from SP that helps with efficiency (I don’t know what Shockers come with stock, ask someone who does and they should tell you). However, for $850, look at what you get. Sadly, this deal can be passed up.

Matrix: The price of the Matrix was also taken from PbGear.com. The package for a black dust DYE Matrix was at $825.00. If you cant count, that is $25 less then that of the Shocker. But look at all you get with it. This is no doubt the better value when looking at a new gun.

Conclusion:
Well, after comparing all these things with both the Shocker and the Matrix, it seems the Matrix gives you more out of the box. Go with the Trix, you won't be disappointed.
46/0/0

Old 08-10-2004, 10:45 PM #4
crispy830
-Enigma-

crispy830 is a Supporting Member
Matrix vs. Angel

Ok, Arvin asked me to help him out with this, so here is the trix vs. angel of any type.

Angels and Matrices don't have too much in common in their designs. Unlike matrices, Angels have a ram which is required to move the bolt (as in pretty much any other gun except a shocker). An Angel obviously doesn't operate off of a spool valve and has more than one moving part such as a main spring, valve, and ram. Most Angels (including all newer models) come stock with a 90* spaceframe and an opto switch, meaning that there is no real "click" when the trigger is pulled. One similarity between the two guns is the trigger setup. Both guns use very similar triggers that can be modded to work in either gun.

Eyes:

Angel: The majority of Angels do not have eyes. Eyes have just been recently made available with the release of the FLY 4 series. All other Angels use a variation of COPS or SENSI which is type of weight/pressure sensor that senses whether a ball is present or not. COPS and SENSI are not nearly as effective as a breakbeam system found on a Matrix. In order to work at their optimum performance, COPS and SENSI need to be calibrated before each use which gets annoying after awhile. The new FLY series now comes with WDP's version of eyes which they call eye Q. They claim that these eyes and their software are the best eyes on the market due to best eye logic and fastest readings. This has yet to really be proven because breakbeam eyes on other guns work amazingly well. There is also aftermarket mods now available such as the HK mod, the Warped Sportz mod, and the Predator mod. Each of these includes putting a W.A.S. board into an angel and also fitting it with breakbeam eyes.

Matrix: The Matrix from the get go has break beam eyes. The system was originally introduced by Bob Long back in 2001 with his Classic Intimidator paintball line of markers. Since then, they have been a hit to tournament players around the world. The eye system works differently from the reflective eye system. Rather then looking for paint, the optic eye shoots a beam across to the receiver eye and waits for a disruption. As soon as something breaks the beam, it allows the marker to fire. It doesn't look for a paintball perse’ (sp?), but more for something to break the beam. A better design and well worth the money in my opinion.

Bolt Design & Air Conservation:

Angel: The angel works similarly to other high end guns with, of course, an exception to the Matrix. Angels have a main spring, exhaust valve, and ram. As on other guns, the bolt is connected with the ram which moves back and forth as the solenoid provides the chamber with air. This design provides for average air consumption, somewhere in the 1200-1600 shot range off of a 68/4500. Due to the way that the Angel operates, the bolt will never really bounce off of a ball as will a Matrix, thus angels without ACE are notorious for chopping if they are not fine tuned perfectly. Although, the release of the A4 softface bolt has greatly improved the chopping aspect of Angels because it prevents the ball from rolling backwards in the breech and allowing the next ball in the stack to partially feed, which will most likely chop when the gun is cycled.

Matrix: The Matrix bolt kit uses 7 different pieces and I believe 16 o-rings. The stock Image bolt kit gives a user roughly 1000 shots off a 68/4500 fill. However, the bolt kit design allows for aftermarket companies to fine tune the guns air efficiency. When Evolve stepped in, they promised 1750 shots AT LEAST from their bolt kits. When I purchased mine and used my 70/4500 tank, I was getting a minimum of 2100 shots off a full fill. Off a 68/3000, I would get roughly 1100 shots off a full fill, the same as a Viking, stock, out of the box. These numbers are far more impressive then that of the Angels. I’m sorry but more is better in this case.

Weight: Angels are definetly lighter guns than matrices are, especially the newer models. WDP has found ways to shave off more weight with each new model starting with the speed. LED's, LCD's, IR3's, and FLY's lcd's/ir3's are roughly all around the same weight in the 2.6 pound range. Speeds may be a couple ounces lighter, and then the A4 weighs about 2.29 pounds, and I believe the new FLY models are a bit lighter. The A4's and FLY's are shorter than all the other models to help shave more weight off. Angels also are a very balanced gun. With a Angel air on it, you can hold it with one finger perfectly balanced. This will also work if you find a system that is comprable to the Angel AIR.

Matrix: Ah yes, the Matrix. The marker that everyone *****es about whenever I go onto forums and see verse threads with this guns name in it. The weight. The stock LED Matrix weighs roughly 3.4 LBS (give or take a few ounces). However, when in game, weight is not really a factor. If you ask any Matrix owner, they’ve never complained about the weight of their guns when on the field. Neither have I. The weight does take a little bit away from the gun but it gives you that sense of feeling that it is more sturdy then most other guns on the market; that it won’t snap when you dive into a bunker.

LPR:

Angels: All Angels come with an lpr, however they are internal which makes adjusting them a bit difficult. In order to acces any of the internals for normal maintenance and tweaking, you must purchase a $50 Angel tool kit. Now, Angels do require less lubing and maintenance than a matrix, but when the time comes, it can prove to be a hassle. Anway, back to the lpr. An Angel LPR consists of shims that each represent 5psi. So to raise or lower your psi, you need to add or remove shims. The LPR pressure of speeds and newer angels run at about 82 psi, while the older ones run around 95 psi. The LPR is crucial on older angels do to the fact that they run at high operating pressures. The speed is the first Angel that runs under 450 psi. Due to the fact that Angels run at higher operating pressure than trixes, they are louder, and generally have noticeably more kick unless they are set up very well.

Matrix: Yes, the marker has one out of the box. Yes, it allows you to fine tune your gun. Without an LPR, you could never get those numbers I mentioned above out of your Evolve bolt kit. The reason so many people love their un-ACEd guns so much is because they can fine tune their guns to bounce off paint. Matrices are not known for chopping balls do to their low operating pressures. That is also why they are extremely quiet and have no kick.

Price:
Angel: Angels have always been very expensive guns, especially when they are first released. However, the resale value is horrible because the market is flooded with new models every few months. Angel IR3's, A4's, and the new FLY's are all well over $1000 new, often around the $1300 range. Speeds and led's were a bit more affordable being around $900-$950 new. However, as I mentioned before, the guns will not hold their value. My friend is trying to sell his IR3 for $550 which he payed $1200 for new.

Matrix: The price of a new Dye LCD matrix now is $825 new. The Dye matrix is basically the standard for matrices right now because it is the most affordable giving you the most bang for your buck. Coming standard with eyes for $500 less, the Dye lcd is definitely the way to go if you are on more of a budget. Hell, I'd buy it even if I could afford an A4 Fly.

The bottom line is that both of these guns are great, but the Matrix has better qualities like super low operating pressure, breakbeam eyes for a more reasonable price, and no kick.

AIM=crispy830

My Feedback
Final Quitting PB Sale
Barrel Sale

Last edited by crispy830 : 08-12-2004 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:26 AM #5
crispy830
-Enigma-

Matrix vs. Timmy

Ok, here is the matrix vs. timmy comparison.

Again, as with all guns besides shockers, Matrices do not have too much in common with Intimidators. Intimidators have parts like rams and poppets that move along with the bolt. Obviously, another big difference is the non-enclosed bolt (with the exception of the species). And yes, Intimidator's do have alot in common with spyders.

Eyes

Timmy: Well, there isn't much to compare here. Timmy's all use breakbeam eyes, and as mentioned before, are better than reflective. Bob Long was the originator of this wonderful idea on his Classic Timmy, so we have him to thank for our current eye systems. The Intimidator eye system is a bit more detailed than Matrix eyes because it has two modes instead of one. There is forced mode in which the gun absolutely will not fire unless the eyes read a ball. Then there is delayed mode where the gun will wait several milliseconds to fire if a ball has yet to be detected. Forced mode is basically the way that Matrix eyes work anyway. And as with any eye system, Timmy eyes must be alligned perfectly in order to work properly. Each eye must be directly lined up with the other to create a proper beam. Failure to do this would result in non functioning eyes and a blender at high ROF's.

Matrix: Not much to say here since the eye system is virtually the same. Matrix eyes do not have forced or delayed modes; they are always in a forced mode. One thing to note here is that the earlier matrices did not come with eyes as to where Intimidators always have been equiped with them as a standard feature. However, the release of the Dye lcd has made a big impact on the Matrix w/eyes market.

Bolt Design & Air Conservation

Timmy: As mentioned above, an Intimidator, like most guns, uses a ram to move the bolt back and forth. It also has a poppet assembly which includes a spring and cupseal. You will find none of these parts inside of a Matrix. Again, the solenoid activates and releases air into the ram sleeve which moves the ram which moves the bolt. Intimidatores generally use delrin bolt and do not require grease or lube on the actual bolt. Air efficiency on an Intimidator is one of the best on the market, especially with the new 2k4 models. Off of a 68/4500 fill, most Timmy's will get around 1500-1600 shots. There really is no way to increase the efficiency however. Set your regs well, and be done with it.

Matrix: The Matrix uses the spool valve bolt system. It is the same system found on the Shocker (the posing marker of the Matrix). The system is very inefficient stock but for $130, you can purchase an Evolve bolt kit and hence up your efficiency ten fold. It is a smart system that was unpopular and now is one of the best on the market. Image bolt kit efficiency runs in about the 800-1000 shot range, and the evolve runs around 1700-2000. Also, as with the Intimidator, the Matrix will cycle extremely fast, and ROF is only limited by your hopper.

Weight

Timmy: Ok, for those who look for a good balance between weight and performance, a Timmy is a good choice. With the introduction of the 2k4 Intimidator's I was very impressed in the weight department.

Alias & other 2k4 models: 1.3-2.6 pounds (empire is heavy)
Lasoya: 2.85
Texas Storm: 2.85
Species: 2.60
ECX: 2.5
Dragon: 2.30
Ironman: 2.85
Z: 2.5
2k2: 2.85

Matrix: Yes, we all know that matrices are big bricks, but on the field it really doesn't matter. Yes, it's a tiny bit easier to snap shoot with a small/light gun, but a matrix is sturdy and tough. Too often have I seen people break parts on their guns diving into a bunker. Well, not with the sturdy build of a matrix. Yes, the led's are around 3.4 pounds, but there are lighter models like the NYX which is 2 lbs 13 oz. and the Ironman which is even lighter. If you really care about a pound, then you need to hit the gym and stop being a *****.

LPR: Timmys have lpr's as a standard features just like a matrix. Intimidators are also guns that run off of very low operating pressures. The LPR will run from around 55-80 psi depending on what your setup is. Volumizer, high flow barbs, and certain lubes will help you attain lower lpr pressures. There are a few types of Timmy lpr's but they all have the same internals and function the same way. Also, because of the LPR, Timmys are fairly quiet, and when set up well, have little kick. For a gun with a ram and non-enclosed bolt, Timmys don't kick too much.

Matrix: Yes, the marker has one out of the box. Yes, it allows you to fine tune your gun. Without an LPR, you could never get those numbers I mentioned above out of your Evolve bolt kit. The reason so many people love their un-ACEd guns so much is because they can fine tune their guns to bounce off paint. Matrices are not known for chopping balls do to their low operating pressures. That is also why they are extremely quiet and have no kick.

Price

Timmy: Well, Timmys have a fairly wide spectrum of prices now, ranging from about $800 to $1500 new. Resale values on Intimidators seem to hold fairly well, better than angels, cockers, and shockers anyway. The problem with the pricing is this: You are paying for milling. Plain and simple. All of the older stylde Timmy's work the exact same way and use the same parts, they just have different bodies. The same goes for the 2k4 models in relation to each other. Alias-$1250, Atomix $1500. Same gun, different body/milling.

Matrix: The price of a new Dye LCD matrix now is $825 new. The Dye matrix is basically the standard for matrices right now because it is the most affordable giving you the most bang for your buck. Coming standard with eyes for $500 less, the Dye lcd is definitely the way to go if you are on more of a budget. Now there are the higher end matrices such as the Ironmen, NYX, and Toxic that run over $1000, but they are well worth it IMO.

Conclusion:

Both of these are great guns. If I didn't shoot a matrix, I would shoot a Timmy. They are both fast as hell and pretty simple to operate and maintain. Bottom line is that a Matrix will be quieter and have less kick. A timmy will get you better efficiency out of the box, but not vs. Evolve. I personally like the milling of Timmys and they are a well balanced gun. However, I believe that Intimidators tend to be a bit more tempermental than Matrices and work less often. Overall though, both are great guns, and they are the only two that I would shoot anymore.

AIM=crispy830

My Feedback
Final Quitting PB Sale
Barrel Sale
Old 08-11-2004, 02:13 AM #6
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

Matrix vs. Viking

The Viking is a marker made by AKALMP, The Low Pressure Experts. Although the marker is no longer in production, you can still find them used for great prices. Anyway, here is the comparison:

Eyes:
Viking: The Viking uses break beam eyes which were first designed on the Intimidator and now come standard on most high end guns. They are absolutely the best design on the market. Nothing compares to these eyes and this includes WDP’s early ideas like SENSi, COPS, and even Smart Parts’ reflective eyes system. They are an absolute marvel, hence a lot of companies started using them.

Viking: The Viking uses the standard ram and bolt system found on almost every other gun on the market. The odd thing is that you need to purchase an AKA tool kit to get to the ram and such. However, there is no need because the markers rarely break. In fact, it has been found that you can drop the gun in water and still be able to shoot it as if it were straight out of the box. The efficiency on these markers is AMAZING. Stock, the markers run around 2000 shots out of a 68/4500 tank. Incredible if you ask me..

Matrix. The Matrix bolt kit uses 7 different pieces and I believe 16 o-rings. The stock Image bolt kit gives a user roughly 1000 shots off a 68/4500 fill. However, the bolt kit design allows for aftermarket companies to fine tune the guns air efficiency. When Evolve stepped in, they promised 1750 shots AT LEAST from their bolt kits. When I purchased mine and used my 70/4500 tank, I was getting a minimum of 2100 shots off a full fill. Off a 68/3000, I would get roughly 1100 shots off a full fill, the same as a Viking, stock, out of the box.

Weight:
Viking: The Viking does weigh a bit, almost as much as the standard Trix. The 03 model weighs about 3 pounds and the 04 weighs in around 2.6-2.8 pounds. However, this should never be an issue when deciding on a gun. Vikings never weigh much in game because you are not concentrating on the gun, you are concentrating on, well, the game. Never worry about this when thinking of a gun to buy.

Matrix: Ah yes, the Matrix. The marker that everyone *****es about whenever I go onto forums and see verse threads with this guns name in it. The weight. The stock LED Matrix weighs roughly 3.4 LBS (give or take a few ounces). However, when in game, weight is not really a factor. If you ask any Matrix owner, they’ve never complained about the weight of their guns when on the field. Neither have I. The weight does take a little bit away from the gun but it gives you that sense of feeling that it is more sturdy then most other guns on the market; that it won’t snap when you dive into a bunker. This is truly the best feature of all on this marker alone in my opinion.

LPR:
Viking: The 04 Viking does indeed come with an LPR, the best there is. It comes standard with the SCM LPR, which can also be bought for the Matrix. It never needs to be set after the first time and helps the gun perform to its full potential. The LPR roughly runs around 55-80 PSI and is a great mod for the 03 model Vikings that didn’t come with LPRs stock.

Matrix: Yes, the marker has one out of the box. Yes, it allows you to fine tune your gun. Without an LPR, you could never get those numbers I mentioned above out of your Evolve bolt kit. The reason so many people love their un-ACEd guns so much is because they can fine tune their guns to bounce off paint. It runs roughly around 35-45 PSI; this is how Matrixes are able to bounce off paint so well.

Price:
Viking: Now we get to the price. This is most important aspect when looking for a new gun. The 04 Vikings run around $950 MSRP but since they aren’t being made anymore, you will have to find one used. If you were to look for a Viking used, you’d be looking around the $850 to the $950 dollar range. This is a small price to pay for what is one of the best guns on the market and is very worth the price.

Matrix: The price of the Matrix was also taken from PbGear.com. The package for a black dust DYE Matrix was at $825.00. If you cant count, that is about $25 less then that of a used Viking. There isn’t much of a difference but really, its performance that really helps you choose what gun you should buy next.

Conclusion:
Well, after comparing all these things with both the Viking and the Matrix, it seems the Viking gives you more out of the box. Go with the Viking and you won’t be disappointed. For the price, you practically get a Matrix with more then you could ask for. That, in my opinion, is worth its weight in gold. Get the Viking and be happy.
46/0/0

Old 08-11-2004, 07:27 AM #7
cosmec
Resident Complainer

cosmec is a Supporting Member
crispy i found some things wrong with your angel review. air consumption on my stock fly with 68/45 is upwards of 1600, as well as the a4 soft face bolt doesnt stop chops from providing a softer surface or whatever, but the rubber stops the ball from rolling backwards into the breech, allowing another ball to partially stick in the breech causing a chop, just to let you know...

anyway, everything else was great
Old 08-12-2004, 01:24 AM #8
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

Matrix vs. Impulse

Eyes:
Impulse: The Impulse uses the standard vision Cricket board that SP released for their line of markers. This means that the guns use a reflective eye system. This system works like so: the eye is turned on and shoots a laser across the breech of the marker. As soon as a paintball falls in the laser, the eye reads it as a paintball. The beam bounces off the ball and returns back to the optic eye and the marker is allowed to fire. The reflective eye has some problems with seeing black paint which was one big problem SP users had on their guns (take it from me, it wasn't fun when I had my Imp). Try taking a laser point and pointing it on stuff. It is always bright and has a red halo around the dot when pointed at anything. However, as soon as it gets to black, it is barely visable. The same concept is applied here.

Impulse: The Impulse uses the standard ram and bolt system found on almost every other gun on the market. The guns however are not very efficient at all. Out of the box, Impulses roughly get 800-1000 shots off a 68/4500 tank. With the New Designz valve, you can increase that number to around 1300 shots. With the complete NDz setup, you can get it anywhere from 1600 to 2000 shots off a 68/4500 tank.

Matrix. The Matrix bolt kit uses 7 different pieces and I believe 16 o-rings. The stock Image bolt kit gives a user roughly 1000 shots off a 68/4500 fill. However, the bolt kit design allows for aftermarket companies to fine tune the guns air efficiency. When Evolve stepped in, they promised 1750 shots AT LEAST from their bolt kits. When I purchased mine and used my 70/4500 tank, I was getting a minimum of 2100 shots off a full fill. Off a 68/3000, I would get roughly 1100 shots off a full fill, the same as a Viking, stock, out of the box.

Weight:
Impulse: I’ll be honest with you. The Impulse is a brick. Although it weighs less then a Matrix, it is hard to play with because of its height and weight. Matrixes are not as tall hence why they don’t feel as heavy. In game for some reason, you can really notice the weight on the Impulse. I really never liked that on my old Impulses so I tend to steer clear of these guns now because of this one bizarre problem.

LPR:
Impulse: When you buy an Impulse, you can sometimes buy packages with LPRs. If you want the gun to work, buy the LPR. Without the LPR, the solenoid doesn’t have enough pressure to let the bolt return to its stationary position and hence you get bolt stick. If you don’t have eyes and have an LPR, you can set it to bounce off most paintballs. If you don’t have an LPR, forget it, you are as good as dead. The gun will chop more then Charles Manson in a meat packing plant. Not fun.

Matrix: Yes, the marker has one out of the box. Yes, it allows you to fine tune your gun. Without an LPR, you could never get those numbers I mentioned above out of your Evolve bolt kit. The reason so many people love their un-ACEd guns so much is because they can fine tune their guns to bounce off paint. It runs roughly around 35-45 PSI; this is how Matrixes are able to bounce off paint so well.

Price:
Impulse: Now we get to the price. This is most important aspect when looking for a new gun. The 04 Impulse with vision eye sells for $550. To many, this sounds like a good price right? Hehe, don’t get too far ahead of yourself. For $550, Smart Parts promises you that you’ll get the gun, not that the gun will work. Weee, more money to spend . So now you need to get the gun to operate. Without the NDz valve, many people experience the gun will always drop off in pressure and will not work right. That is one problem my brother had that drove us insane. Then you need the LPR. Without the LPR, you are looking at bolt stick and that will screw you up beyond belief. The bolt will constantly stick forward at high rates of fire because the solenoid doesn’t have a separate air source to pull the bolt back. Also, you will get first shot drop off which is also a *****. The Matrix has ABS to stop this from happening. You can stop this by getting a WAS board or completing your setup by getting the NDz ratified kit. The WAS board is also recommended since it has better eye logic. By far better then that of the Cricket board. These are only a taste of the plethora of problems the Impulse has. This ends up costing more then the Matrix in the long run. Very fun huh?

Matrix: The price of the Matrix was also taken from PbGear.com. The package for a black dust DYE Matrix was at $825.00. If you cant count, that is about $25 less then that of a used Viking. There isn’t much of a difference but really, its performance that really helps you choose what gun you should buy next.

Conclusion:
Well, after comparing all these things with both the Impulse and the Matrix, it seems the Impulse just steals you of money. Go get a Matrix and save yourself the trouble.
46/0/0

Last edited by ZeR0 EVOlution : 08-12-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:53 PM #9
ilikepb

ilikepb is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeR0 EVOlution
[b]Matrix vs. Viking
...The LPR roughly runs around 55-80 PSI and is a great mod for the 03 model Vikings that didn't come with LPRs stock.
Just a quick correction, 03 Vikings did come stock with LPRs. However, they are fully internal, unlike the SCM. Trust me, I have a 03 Viking and have adjusted my LPR. Great thread though man.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:13 PM #10
Bushy86
^Shes SOO hot! Thnx MH!^

Bushy86 is a Supporting Member
CYBORG VS. MATRIX!
Cyborg- I was expecting more then what i got considering all the hype. i was actually somewhat disapointed when i picked it up and actually shot it. It felt OK. It was clicky and the trigger had slop. The looks good and shots fast

Negatives-
Things that i did not like about it. The trigger has slop; this means it moves side to side, some people like it some dislike it.
The triiger switch is also clicky, its not butter all the way through like my matrix. Lack of LCD, yea its tru not all matrices have them, but mine do, and i absolutely LOVE this feature for playing with the pulse. To get into the bounce and pulse settings you need to go into the cyborg, it is the same with an LED matrix. Gun also has more kick then a matrix.

Positives-
Sweet gun, looks good; even if it does reseble a cocker body with timmy internals. Efficentcy is great! Its a nice gun. Its fairly light. Comes with a nice stock barrel. The feed neck screws right off, easy for changing, but once you put a new neck in do you really wanna be able 2 unscrew it? Good fades and colors. Nice for the price. Ease of cleaning a ball break (shouldnt happen ill get to it later). Field strip in under a second! The eyes are AMAZING, we shot about 500 balls through it w/ a vl200, not a chop and we were RIPPING!

Similarities-
Great guns for the money no doubt. fairly effecient, 1300+ on a 68 45 (2k4 lcd matrix w/ image bolt) cyborg gets lik 1800 or something lik that on the same tank. Cyborg felt good just resting in my hands along with the matrix since you had space to wrap around the HPR. Both guns look clean and smooth and thats a plus. Both feednecks are midrises, sanding may be needed for a halo b on the matrix, the fit is EXTREMELY tight on teh cyborg.

Conclusion- 3 experienced players shot each gun about 1000+ times. The owner of the cyborg, a mag owner, and moi; X bko owner(h8 that gun). The mag owner and my self found the matrix mroe desreable and to be a better gun. We felt this way because the matrix had less kick, was easier to use, we love the lcd functions, and its a clean looking and amazing feeling gun. I was orgasiming when i first picked up this new matrix. lol

Both guns were bone stock, both had no drop set ups.

In Conclusion- If you want to try a new gun try the spool valve (matrix) it is new to yoou if you havent owned a matrix or a shcoekr b4. The matrix also has a better price, also with a few simple upgrades to the matrix that would make the price equal to a new cyborg, your matrix can own a cyborg. Both guns are amazing and you will not be disapointed with which ever one you get. All i can say is the matrix is cheaper and has the obvious advantages of a lower OP which makes it easier on the paint, butter smooth trigger and NO kick.

Both guns tested (recieved tuesday and wednesday) are brand new and ALL stock
I think i covered everything to the best of my ability, sorry if i missed anything.
Phil

if you have any ?s get me on aim, weedbegonegtboy
Old 09-09-2004, 12:41 AM #11
NickM
The Man in Black

Dye Matrix V. ICD Freestyle

Eye System: Both use break beam eyes, and seem to work equally as well.

Bolt Design: Not really sure how the internals of the Freestyle are arranged, but air conservation wise a stock Matrix with an Image bolt kit is going to get around 1000 shots off a 68/45. A first generation Freestyle will get about 600 shots off the same tank, with the second generation internals a Freestyle will get about 800 to 900 shots of a 68/45.

Weight: The Matrix weighs about 3.5 pounds, where the Freestyle is closer to 1.8 pounds. Now, I don’t notice a huge difference when playing with either marker, but I do prefer the lightweight of the Freestyle.

Hpr: The stock regulator on the Freestyle isn’t that great, an aftermarket reg will probably be the first upgrade for the Freestyle. The Sidewinder works amazing. The Hyper 2 is a great reg that many people swear by.

Lpr: Both come stock with an Lpr, however to my knowledge there are no aftermarket Lpr’s available for the Freestyle. There are a wide range for the Matrix, such as the Pbc Lpr, the SCM, or the Hyper 2, giving the owner further customization. I believe, but I’m not sure that the new Dye Lpr gives slightly better performance than the stock Lpr on the Freestyle.

Speed: When I had a Led board in my Matrix, I did notice that the Freestyle seemed slightly faster. However, once I got the Tadao 4.0, my Matrix is just as fast as the Freestyle.

Price: A Dye Matrix is 825 at pbgear.com. However most people want a clamping rise of some sort, so its pretty close to 850. The Dye Matrix also has an Lcd screen if that is what you prefer, while the Freestyle has two Led toggles. The Freestyle also comes with a drop forward and on/off on the first generation version and a unimount on the second generation. Also for the same price you get fade anodizing and a lighter more compact gun. However, weight an anno fall into the realm of preference.

Conclusion: Both markers are very nice guns, able to hold their own with any other marker out there. If you don’t mind a heavier marker, prefer having better efficiency stock, and more upgradability go with the Matrix. If you prefer weight and like the anodizing, and don’t mind the slightly less efficiency or current lack of upgrades, go with the Freestyle. I prefer the Matrix, but that’s followed closely by the Freestyle.

US Army Infantry

Gen-E Matrix
Empire B2
MacDev 68/45
Old 09-12-2004, 08:11 PM #12
Jon Park

E-bladed cocker or Matrix?

once main concern i have about the Matrix is that it has too many damn O-rings, so many that i'll probably spend a lot of money replacing 'em. If i have an issue with the O-rings should i just go with the Eblade?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:26 PM #13
ilikepb

ilikepb is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Park

once main concern i have about the Matrix is that it has too many damn O-rings, so many that i'll probably spend a lot of money replacing 'em. If i have an issue with the O-rings should i just go with the Eblade?
Look at the Karnivore vs. Matrix post. The Karni is the top of the line Ebladed cocker.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:52 PM #14
crispy830
-Enigma-

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Park

What's a pack or O rings cost, $5 for a 3 gun rebuild

AIM=crispy830

My Feedback
Final Quitting PB Sale
Barrel Sale
Old 09-13-2004, 10:48 PM #15
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

Matrix vs. DM4

Eye System
DM4: The DM4 uses the same eye system that the standard Matrix uses. It uses the break beam eye system. The eyes are still internal and are cleaned by removing two internal eye covers that use alan key head screws to clamp down with. Nothing much to say about these guns’ eye systems considering that they are identical to that of the Trix. A side note to add is that the DM4 uses the EGi board similar to that of the NYX Matrix’s. The design is different but it uses the same concept.

Matrix: The Trix uses break beam eyes, the same ones found on Vikings, Excaliburs, Intimidators (first guns to use the system), Bushmasters, Race Gun trigger frames and now Angels. These eyes are the best ones on the market seeing as how they don't look for a paintball to clear the breech, they just want the beam to break. It first came on the Classic Intimidators and now you can find it in almost any other gun. An excellent system far superior to that of the reflective eye.

DM4: The DM4 uses the newer version of the spool valve bolt system. Its called the Fuse bolt by DYE; it got this name because the bolt kit screws together making it easier to take out and put back in. It still has the same number of o-rings, just not as many parts. Nothing big and new about this kit, it just has threads on it to keep it together. Its amazing though that no company can make a stock bolt kit that is really efficient. With the stock bolt kit, you’re looking at around 800 shots off a 68/4500 tank. I know backs will not like this gun considering the fact that they like to piss streams of paint down the field.

Matrix: The Matrix uses the spool valve bolt system. It is the same system found on the Shocker (the posing marker of the Matrix). The system is very inefficient stock but for $130, you can purchase an Evolve bolt kit and hence up your efficiency ten fold. It is a smart system that was unpopular and now is one of the best on the market. Definitely better then the closed bolt system which cannot fire as fast as a Matrix (registered at 36 CPS) due to its firing system.

Weight:
DM4: The Dm4 weighs a lot less then the older Matrixes. It weighs roughly ~2.1 pounds due to its new design and milling. This is great for those fronts who cant use the older bodied Matrixes because it doesn’t suit their style of play (heavy guns, slower snapping. It’s a problem for a handful of people but it still exists). If you want to worry about weight, you have this gun as an option to that of the older Matrixes.

Matrix: The Matrix weighs around 3.4 pounds, give or take a few ounces. The gun however, is never considered heavy in game because you aren’t concentrating on what is in your hand, you’re looking at what is in front of you. I’ve never met a Trix owner who cried about its weight, they always say the gun rules and has zero kick. That’s the way to do it guys.

LPR:
DM4: The DM4 uses a new internal LPR that can be found in the back of the gun. In place of the LPR on the front, it has an integrated on/off so the gun can be degassed and gassed on the fly. This is great for those of you who have uni-mounts and don’t want to hastle with unscrewing it to check on your gun. The LPR is set by simply screwing it in and unscrewing it 5 times to set it at 75 PSI. It goes in 15 PSI increments per complete turn so you can just as easily set it to 45 PSI like an older Matrix. Just unscrew it 3 times instead of 5. This is great for those of you who want a simple LPR setup job but it cant be set up as precisely as the older LPRs can. It will still get the job done though.

Matrix: The Matrix operates roughly around 45 PSI seeing as how it only has one moving part. Without eyes, this is a wonder because it just bounces off paint. No one complains about having an original Gen-E Matrix because of this (they did not have eyes). This is a good sign because it tells you that you won’t have many chopping problems with a DYE Matrix since it comes stock with eyes. Kudos for the Matrix.

Price:
DM4: With all the new improvements that come on the new DM4s, they have to have something to weigh them down (no pun intended). In this case, it happens to be the price tag. At PBGear.com, the DM4 will set you back $1,349.94. With this you get some DYE lube, alan keys, a matching Ultralight, the software in the DM4, and the milling. You can even choose from an extensive amount of colors for the look that’s perfect for you!

Matrix: The DYE Trix at PBGear.com is $825. It comes with everything you need minus the bolt kit. With the stock kit, you’ll get roughly 1000 shots off a 68/4500 tank. For $135, you can get the Evolve bolt kit and that will get you 1750 shots off your 68/4500 tank.

Conclusion
Just get the Trix. It is cheaper and does the same thing as the DM4. If weight really is that much of a factor for you, the DM4 is your best bet. But if you are looking for Matrix performance without the price tag, the DYE LCD is the gun for you.
46/0/0

Old 09-13-2004, 11:02 PM #16
dinger
hoo hah im big dinger!

i thoughht you got 2000 shots off a 68/45 with the evolve kit...

excellent job ZeR0.
even the mech spyder owners were complaining cuz the paint was such crap.
Originally posted by blink05
thanks dinger, i vote you for pbnation Trix tech. I just did what you said, aired it up, turned off the eyes, and all i can say is holy **** my DM3 is amazing
Old 09-14-2004, 03:20 PM #17
Toklas
Team Cpt.

Toklas is attending Decay of Nations VI
how bout vs. bushmaster?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:31 PM #18
flip144
Damned

i got it...vs the nerve.... eh eh?
"
Old 09-14-2004, 06:32 PM #19
cali141

Matrix vs. E-Mag!! Im tellin you, that would be a great match. Matrix vs. Bushy is like the Matrix vs. Impulse. And vs. the nerve... obviously the trix will win. Ive seen plenty of vids of the nerve, and that thing is waaaay overpriced for what you get.

Old feedback
My mag
Old 09-14-2004, 08:59 PM #20
flip144
Damned

DAMN i was beating....i will prevail
"
Old 09-14-2004, 10:34 PM #21
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

Special thanks to Chojin Man in the AGD forum for the help.
Matrix vs. E-Mag

Eye System
E-Mag: Emags don't come with eyes, and don't really need them for that matter(see bolt design). Either can be installed if you like though. X-Mags do however; the eye system used is the break beam design similar to that of the Matrix.

E-Mag: AGD's newest bolt design, the level 10, is a anti chop bolt. Trust me, you won't chop on this thing EVER. You can literally stick your tounge in it, and it will come out unscathed. If you want a more detailed explaination on how it works go here: http://www.automags.org/resource/level10/index.shtml
The drawback to the level 10 is that by design it will use more air than the normal, level 7 bolt. Another drawback to the level 10 is that they can be tricky to setup properly, and take a few cases to fully break in. Once set up though they are great. It will get about 15 shots per cubic inch on a 4500 psi tank. With a 3000 tank it will be ~10 shots per cubic inch.

Weight:
E-Mag: Emags are average on weight. As long as you have all of the ULE pieces they are around 2.5-2.8 pounds.

LPR:
E-Mag: Emags are going to be high input pressure. The actual pressure behind the ball is going to be around 50-88 psi(Lowered by the internal regulator on the valve.). Emags love high pressure. The higher the input pressure that you have the faster the valve recharges and thus shoots faster. Mags operate around 850psi input pressure. So when the pressure in the tank drops below that; time for a refill.

Price:
E-Mag: Agd is currently selling custom new Emags for 999.00. The Emag is not in production anymore. They are just selling what they have left in stock. You can usually find a good used one for around $600.

Matrix: The DYE Trix at PBGear.com is $825. It comes with everything you need minus the bolt kit. With the stock kit, you’ll get roughly 1000 shots off a 68/4500 tank. For $135, you can get the Evolve bolt kit and that will get you 1750 shots off your 68/4500 tank.

Conclusion
Personally, I never liked Mags. However, $1000 is a lot of money compared to Matrixes and it doesn’t even come with eyes. I don’t see a point in buying a gun for $1000, whether it be a Matrix or a Mag if it doesn’t have eyes (unless it’s a Tequilla or an Entity because those are some of the rarest guns on the market).
46/0/0

Last edited by ZeR0 EVOlution : 09-14-2004 at 10:45 PM.
Closed Thread