Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-07-2004, 06:21 PM #1
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Why do you call yourself a libertarian?

It seems the new online fad is to call oneself a libertarian. I truly doubt the majority who tout themself libertarian even know what they stand for. An interesting essay on libertarianism. http://www.spectacle.org/897/finkel.html

More of a fact essay on what libertarianism is for all the, for lack of a better word, posers. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/libertarianism/

Before we begin discussion I shall post an impressive list of famous philosophers on the way governments should be run to give myself more merit: Locke, Hobbes, Rothbard, Mill, and Posner.

Because I have just made a reference to these philosphers I shalll have attained e-cool points and mesmerize the people who have no idea who these people other than Locke, and Hobbes, are.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:26 PM #2
PB Commando
!

here u go 50 e-cool points ..... u deserved them

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. There are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All This I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the Kingodm of Salvation take me home?"
Old 08-07-2004, 07:44 PM #3
atticus_finch
LANCE>CHE!!!!

that is stupid

i could say how stupid it is that democrats are for abortion, yet against the death penalty

but i dont go and write a paper about it and say that democrats are stupid

i dont get what is so wrong with a limited government
Old 08-07-2004, 07:56 PM #4
zack

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus_finch
i could say how stupid it is that democrats are for abortion, yet against the death penalty
You could say it, but you'd be wrong...
Old 08-07-2004, 08:26 PM #5
atticus_finch
LANCE>CHE!!!!

i find that to be the most contradictory thing ever

im pro choice, but you wont hear me say im pro choice cuz a fetus "isnt alive" cuz you know as well as i do that a serial killer is just as alive as a fetus.

I just think that people should have the freedom to not have a child that they conceived.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:36 PM #6
zack

A clump of cells is not alive in the sense that I am alive. At a certain point it IS considered alive, but I don't know enough on the subject to say exactly when.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:38 PM #7
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by zack
A clump of cells is not alive in the sense that I am alive. At a certain point it IS considered alive, but I don't know enough on the subject to say exactly when.
There's not much to know, unless you want scientific facts about when the baby can feel things or something like that.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:43 PM #8
zack

Exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:44 PM #9
PB Commando
!

again this issue is decided by morals therefore there can be no right or wrong answer. I personaly am against abortion since it a life is being destroyed, however a good side to abortion is that the popultion wont be higher than it would be.

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. There are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All This I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the Kingodm of Salvation take me home?"
Old 08-07-2004, 10:48 PM #10
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

I like how a libertarian thread turned into an abortion debate. I love the attention span of my fellow teenagers.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:56 PM #11
zack

Haha, sorry I sorta hijacked it by responding to atticus...

::glares at atticus::
Old 08-07-2004, 11:15 PM #12
DirtyDrake
Hereeeeeeeee's Johnny

I'm pro choice, Government has no business telling anyone what they can or can't do with their own bodies. But I think abortion is destroying a potential life and should be discouraged but the choice has to be made by the individuals and not by the government.

Same with gay marriage, Government has no right to tell anyone who they can marry or can't it should be a religious thing and not a government policy.

Where I disagree with the libertarians is the war on terror. I fully support it and think it is totally necessary for the defense of this nation from foreign attack. Just because you have a party affiliation doesn't mean you have to follow their philosophy totally and absolutely. We as individuals can think for ourselves and don't have to rely on what our parties tell us to think all the time.

Does that make me a poser?
Life is not just a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
--unknown
Old 08-08-2004, 12:20 AM #13
oddpb111
$traight Gangstaism

Dirty Drake I agree w/ you nearly 100 %.

Libertarianism is not a "fad", its just that people are tired of the government getting too involved w/ every aspect of their lives.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:24 AM #14
DirtyDrake
Hereeeeeeeee's Johnny

I don't see what the problem is I'm kind of glad to see more and more young people becoming libertarian and no it's not a fad, it makes me optimistic for the future.

glad to hear it oddpb111
Life is not just a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
--unknown
Old 08-08-2004, 03:03 AM #15
Sacintimidator06
Obey Propaganda

Quote:
Originally posted by DirtyDrake
Just because you have a party affiliation doesn't mean you have to follow their philosophy totally and absolutely. We as individuals can think for ourselves and don't have to rely on what our parties tell us to think all the time.
That is the problem with most conservatives. They think because a Republican says something, it must be true. They need to decide on issues for themselves and not just follow what a party says is right...
Old 08-08-2004, 06:29 AM #16
atticus_finch
LANCE>CHE!!!!

i could say the same thing for democrats

i hate when people dont realize this
Old 08-08-2004, 01:23 PM #17
Hubris

Quote:

Yes, I most definitely agree. It goes both ways Sacintimidator06, in fact, as someone who leans left, perhaps more so than conservatism. Especially with the anti-Bush sentiment among teens.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:01 PM #18
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:

Old 08-08-2004, 10:43 PM #19
DirtyDrake
Hereeeeeeeee's Johnny

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacintimidator06
That is the problem with most conservatives. They think because a Republican says something, it must be true. They need to decide on issues for themselves and not just follow what a party says is right...

I study and look at all the facts on issues and policies before I make my mind up on something, nobody or any party tells me what to think. If I thought the Republicans were lying I would say it, if I thought the Democrats were scumbags I also would say that too but I am a clear minded individual who makes up my own mind and is willing to CHANGE IT if the facts are there to back it up.
--unknown
Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 AM #20
Tiny (Banned)
The Real Tiny

I may not agree with every single point the Libertarians make, but they are the only viable political party I have found that makes any sense, and most closely matches my political leanings.

Oh and to help the highjack, I am Pro Choice as is my wife, we just CHOOSE not to abort children. Yet it is not my place to tell other people who feel they can live with it, that they cannot.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:32 PM #21
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiny
Oh and to help the highjack, I am Pro Choice as is my wife, we just CHOOSE not to abort children. Yet it is not my place to tell other people who feel they can live with it, that they cannot.
That's about how I feel. If a teenage soon-to-be mother feels a baby during high school could screw up her, and the baby's lives, she can choose to get an abortion and have kids later when she's better prepared to support them etc.