Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-15-2004, 10:43 PM #1
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
What's stopping the terrorists?

I've mentioned this before but anyway.

If we are to believe the news media, there is a vast band of terrorists out there, bent on destroying the western way of life. They have sophisticated networks of terror cells; detailed plans for new outrages are being found on laptops and CD-Roms on a regular basis, etc.

So why haven't they hit us, repeatedly? (By "us", I mean the mainland of the US and UK, which, as the prime movers in the latest Middle East meddling campaign, should be at the top of the list.) All this talk of extensive planning, and networks being smashed -- I don't buy it. I mean, let's face it, how hard is it for a few dozen nutjobs to get into the country (if they're not here already), put together some explosives and get terrorisin'? It strikes me that you don't need months of planning to blow yourself, or a big truck, up in a city.

Seriously, what is going on? Are we being lied to on a huge scale? If there really are "tens of thousands of fundamentalist crazies" ( all newspapers) hellbent on our destruction, then what's keeping them? No doubt Bush 'n' Blair will take the credit for "smashing Al Qaeda", but come on -- the very nature of Al Qaeda is surely that it is a decentralised network that cannot be destroyed by taking out a few leaders. I'm puzzled. Help me out, someone.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:08 PM #2
bern

I think Dreadloc doc originally posted it but there has been like 2 major terrorist attacks against the US since it was founded, statistically this means one every 114 years. Why do we assume since we recently had a large one that another will follow? doesnt it make more sense that since we did just have a large one we are ok for awhile?

I think you are right, there just are not as many 'terrorists' bent on killing people than as we are led to believe. But telling us there is makes it much easier for people to swallow pointless wars and infringing of rights. it is called a scare tactic and governments have been using it further their agenda for a very long time now.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:41 PM #3
zack

Why would they attack us here when it's so much easier to blow up some GIs in Iraq?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:51 PM #4
Oli Lang
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bern
I think Dreadloc doc originally posted it but there has been like 2 major terrorist attacks against the US since it was founded, statistically this means one every 114 years. Why do we assume since we recently had a large one that another will follow? doesnt it make more sense that since we did just have a large one we are ok for awhile?

I think you are right, there just are not as many 'terrorists' bent on killing people than as we are led to believe. But telling us there is makes it much easier for people to swallow pointless wars and infringing of rights. it is called a scare tactic and governments have been using it further their agenda for a very long time now.

what was the other besides 9/11?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:52 PM #5
zack

Oklaholma city bombing?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:29 AM #6
JLothrop

That wasn't a terrorist attack...

I think the other is the first bombing of the world trade center...

POWERED BY:
DYE PRECISION, Shocktech USA, BBT, the Badlandz, the Grindhouse, Krush Skate Park, KEE ACTION SPORTS, RPS, HALO, NXE, VIRTUE
Old 08-16-2004, 12:32 AM #7
Westopher
Currently AFK

Cool

The term terrorist is not reserved for foreign attacks.

But I think you answered the question yourself. We have found information which has let us stop the attacks. We only know when someone fails. If something is prevented, it never makes the news.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:36 AM #8
zack

Quote:
Originally posted by JLothrop
That wasn't a terrorist attack...

I think the other is the first bombing of the world trade center...
How was it not a terrorist attack?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:38 AM #9
Westopher
Currently AFK

Cool

Look, there are terrorist groups out there, not individuals working on their own accrod. A group plans something. We stop it. They plan it again. They plan even longer and harder to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. We find some informaiton and stop it. The cycle continues untill we don't stop it.
Do you have any level of comprehension how long it took to plan and pull off the 9/11 WTC attacks?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:50 AM #10
JLothrop

n : a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the clowns who bombed the Oklahoma building didn't really have a political agenda... They were just angry individuals...

POWERED BY:
DYE PRECISION, Shocktech USA, BBT, the Badlandz, the Grindhouse, Krush Skate Park, KEE ACTION SPORTS, RPS, HALO, NXE, VIRTUE
Old 08-16-2004, 01:09 AM #11
zack

He did. He was part of an anarchist group if I'm not mitaken.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 AM #12
kjjm4
Liberty or Death

kjjm4 is a founding member
kjjm4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kjjm4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally posted by zack
He did. He was part of an anarchist group if I'm not mitaken.
You are sort of correct. The guys behind the Oklahoma city bombings were tied to anti-government militia types. They were against the federal government. That's why they blew up a federal office building.

Back to the topic at hand. That there are terrorists out there, and that they would like to see the United States hurt or even destroyed is a fact.

More or less, any attack they might carry out on US soil is a suicide mission. I think part of the reason that there are few of the small-scale atacks you're talking about on US soil is that the members of terrorist organizations with the monetary capability to travel to the United States aren't exactly living such horrible lives at the hands of their opressors that they are willing to commit suicide for the cause. Statistically, most of the suicide bombers are poorly educated, live in extreme poverty, and haven't got much reason, by their reckoning, not to blow themselves and whoever else happens to be in the vicinity to smithereens in the name of Allah. The richer, more sophisticated and educated terrorists try things on a grander scale, which takes longer and more detailed planning, which means they're much more likely to get caught.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:04 AM #13
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally posted by Westopher
Look, there are terrorist groups out there, not individuals working on their own accrod. A group plans something. We stop it. They plan it again. They plan even longer and harder to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. We find some informaiton and stop it.
I find it extremely hard to believe that with thousands of terrorists hell bent on destroying the United States already within it's borders and the number of times the threat level has been elevated above anything to the extent of "terrorists probably won't attack today" that the same intelligence community that is being crucified over the horrendously bad handling of events leading up to 9-11 and moreso the recent intelligence failures in iraq has had a 100% success rate and stopped dozens of potential attacks in the US. "Homeland Security" is a joke and the threat of terrorist attacks in the US is grossly overstated

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
Old 08-16-2004, 10:05 AM #14
Westopher
Currently AFK

Cool

I'm not saying it's not exagerated, hey, we've got media and a government with an agenda, but I do beleive that there is a existing threat.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:11 AM #15
elTwitcho

Likewise. Hell there's OBVIOUSLY a threat, anyone who thinks Al Quaeda is going "Nah we got em pretty good that one time, quit while you're ahead is what we say" is nuts, but at the same time I don't have much faith in the intelligence community that has repeatedly been criticized for constant **** ups lately. I think the terrorist threat is hugely overstated, most of the guys with a hard on for killing americans are likely doing it in Iraq where it's pretty easy to stuff an RPG under your robe and shoot up a convoy as it drives past.

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
Old 08-16-2004, 10:41 AM #16
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

There are MUCH bigger threats than terrorism. Car and guns come to mind. How about putting more seat belts laws into effect and better MPG laws without all the loopholes for ginormous cars? That'd lessen our dependency on foriegn oil a lot if handled correctly which I don't think Bush can do based on his record. *Action shot of No Child Left Behind being burned at the stake*
Old 08-16-2004, 10:45 AM #17
Westopher
Currently AFK

Cool

For some reason I think cars and guns are a wee bit different than terrorism.
What loopholes for ginormous cars? If people want them, they can have them. This is a loophole?
The seat belt law is the government protecting the individual from their self, not the governments job.
You spout off about loosing rights and freedoms, but you ask for more restrictions.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:07 AM #18
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Seatbelts are hardly restrictions. Er... Moving on.

One example: Current rules require new cars in model year 2005 to average 27.5 miles per gallon (mpg), but light trucks to average only 21 mpg. Under the current system, a vehicle can classify as a truck if one can readily remove a seat to allow for additional cargo space.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...s+hummer&hl=en
Old 08-16-2004, 11:13 AM #19
Westopher
Currently AFK

Cool

I can name a number of trucks that can't have seats readily removed.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:21 AM #20
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

That's the point. The laws are stupid.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:30 AM #21
Tiny (Banned)
The Real Tiny

We did just thwart a terror attack, I haven't seen it on the news but I heard it through my connections that a tanker full of LP was hijacked and taken back by Seals within the past two weeks, it was enroute to Philadelphia.