Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-08-2004, 03:45 PM #85
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Vladmir
prove it. I really wish people would quit just posting their opinions without any logical backing.
6 million dollar Case study 5736:343/6: Concludes Morals are opinion.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2004, 03:46 PM #86
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
You still havn't explained why there are no ultimate moral truths. Ill give you an example. Unjustified Racism is immoral any way you cut it, just give me an example where it is moral.
It's moral to the KKK because they believe whites are better. It's just their opinion.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:47 PM #87
kameleon
street by street

Quote:
sure they do, you logically reason why a moral is a moral, or why there aren't any ultimate moral truths. Thats what we are doing right now isn't it? Logic has to do with everything otherwise we wouldn't have been able to create them with our minds. It is just a matter of sorting through the good logic and the poor logic.

You still havn't explained why there are no ultimate moral truths. Ill give you an example. Unjustified Racism is immoral any way you cut it, just give me an example where it is moral.
Read my last post again.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:49 PM #88
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by kameleon
Morals and logic have nothing to do with each other.

Edit- here's a definition of morals

"noun: motivation based on ideas of right and wrong"

Since people have many differernt ideas on what is right and wrong people are also going to have many different ideas of what is moral and immoral.
Right on.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:12 PM #89
galli2001
•Killer•

Well since you dont think there is anything wrong with sleeping around, you should never call any girl a **** even if shes slept with everyone you know.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:30 PM #90
Azzkicka (Banned)

we shouldnt legalize prostitution because it wouldnt be that safe, you know that ****s are going to screw a guy with out protection if he gives them more money and even if the condoms break then they spread infections, if people want oral, thats going to spread cuss nobody wants sucked with a condom on, not all the ****s are going to go get checked for stds, there will be many more rapes because nobody is going to believe that a hooker was raped even if she didnt want to have sex, there would be way to much under the table stuff going on and stds and aids would spread so much faster

i think we should legalize mj because it doesnt have any different effects than drinking (on me at least, ive only smoked a couple times, dont do it anymore). if there was a way to test people and see how much they have smoked then i believe they could legalize it(like a breathalizer). i think they should treat it like drinking, where you can have a limit of how much youve taken(dont know how they would do it yet) and that would effect if you could drive. there shouldnt be any in public places though because people might not want to inhale mj in places such as bars or restuarants unlike beer which you can keep to yourself
Old 08-08-2004, 07:00 PM #91
atticus_finch
LANCE>CHE!!!!

i wish i could find the prickholes who started using drugs in the first place and kill them so we wouldnt have this stupid problem

and i do have to agree with azzkicka...i think that the fear of disease is what keeps a lot of people from prostitution and i think that if it was legalized then a lot more people would do it thinking it was perfectly safe. But one untested person could cause a lot of problems very quickly.

i dont have proof for this scenario, i just think it could happen.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:00 PM #92
atticus_finch
LANCE>CHE!!!!

i wish i could find the prickholes who started using drugs in the first place and kill them so we wouldnt have this stupid problem

and i do have to agree with azzkicka...i think that the fear of disease is what keeps a lot of people from prostitution and i think that if it was legalized then a lot more people would do it thinking it was perfectly safe. But one untested person could cause a lot of problems very quickly.

i dont have proof for this scenario, i just think it could happen.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:09 PM #93
kameleon
street by street

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus_finch

Old 08-08-2004, 08:12 PM #94
Mag Master 21
Residential Dyno Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by SlingerXL
So if you're an atheist you automatically have no morals?

Morals aren't black and white and just because your morals are different doesn't mean they're right.
Not quite.. hence why I added the "and have no morals."

But overall, yes, I'd tend to agree with the above hypothesis.. They may have morals, but they'd probably be to a lower standard than a good Christian..
"You and I have the courage to say to our enemies there is a price we will not pay, there is a point beyond they must not advance.. You and I have a rendezvous with destiny, we'll preserve for our children, this the last best hope of man on earth or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-08-2004, 08:48 PM #95
atticus_finch
LANCE>CHE!!!!

Quote:
i cant tell if that means u like my statement or not, but i assume u dont

do u like drugs that much that u wouldnt sacrifice them to stop the crime, death, violence, and accidents that it causes the world over?

i pity ur selfishness
Old 08-08-2004, 09:18 PM #96
Hubris

Quote:

do u like drugs that much that u wouldnt sacrifice them to stop the crime, death, violence, and accidents that it causes the world over?

i pity ur selfishness
How does using drugs increase crime after it's legalized?

As for injury and death; Survey says...User Discretion! [/dingdingding]

As for the accidents, I have two words to say: "Drunk driving." Do you think we should outlaw alcohol too?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:24 PM #97
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Originally posted by Mag Master 21
Not quite.. hence why I added the "and have no morals."

But overall, yes, I'd tend to agree with the above hypothesis.. They may have morals, but they'd probably be to a lower standard than a good Christian..
Stop being so self-righteous. They're only a lower standard to you.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:24 PM #98
kameleon
street by street

Quote:

i pity ur selfishness

Its just that your statement was ridiculous. Stopping the first people who ever used drugs would in no way stop all the drug use nor would it stop the "crime, death, violence, and accidents" that "they" cause.

Edit- added quote.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:04 PM #99
Vladmir
Kid Amazing

Quote:
It's moral to the KKK because they believe whites are better. It's just their opinion.
Yes but that is an incorrect moral. What you are referring to is cultural relativism which is completely false. I suggest you and Kameleon read some philosophy books on morality. Here is a good introductory one: The Elements of Moral Philosophy by James Rachels. Rachels was one of the leading moral philosophers in the nation, he just recently passed away. I could sit here and tear apart Cultural Relativism but since the only person that would probably read it is SlingerXL it would be a waste of time, read the book instead.

Quote:
Morals and logic have nothing to do with each other.

Edit- here's a definition of morals

"noun: motivation based on ideas of right and wrong"

Since people have many differernt ideas on what is right and wrong people are also going to have many different ideas of what is moral and immoral.
Once again you are referring to the incorrect theory of Cultural Relativism. Simply because they have an idea of right and wrong doesnt mean they are right and wrong. I have an idea that raping children at the ripe age of 7 and then gouging their eyes and out and force feeding their eyes to them is right. Therefore I believe it is moral. Bluntly put, I am wrong. Cultures can have immoral behavior just as an individual can. You should also read The Elements of Moral Philosophy by James Rachels. There are ultimate Moral Truths.

B9 Username: Youth In Asia

Last edited by Vladmir : 08-08-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:10 PM #100
Vladmir
Kid Amazing

Quote:
Right on.
Not right on in any way shape or form. Read above.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:24 PM #101
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
Yes but that is an incorrect moral. What you are referring to is cultural relativism which is completely false. I suggest you and Kameleon read some philosophy books on morality. Here is a good introductory one: The Elements of Moral Philosophy by James Rachels. Rachels was one of the leading moral philosophers in the nation, he just recently passed away.
Well before I start agueing with something I know nothing about, I'm gonna go look that book up and maybe find a chapter, analysis, or summary online. Not sure if any of those will do it justice if he's all you say he is but it's something. I'll edit this as I read.

Quote:
I could sit here and tear apart Cultural Relativism but since the only person that would probably read it is SlingerXL it would be a waste of time, read the book instead.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:30 PM #102
Vladmir
Kid Amazing

Quote:
Well before I start agueing with something I know nothing about, I'm gonna go look that book up and maybe find a chapter, analysis, or summary online. Not sure if any of those will do it justice if he's all you say he is but it's something. I'll edit this as I read.
I recommend checking out the entire book, it is a short read and you will be able to pick up some other stuff in it to put to good uses such as squashing internet retards. God knows this message board needs some more policing. Only about 200 pages or so. After I finish the book Im working on about Free Trade vs. Protectionism and then John Stossel's Give Me a Break I'll look into your Confessions of an Ex-Conservative.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:33 PM #103
kameleon
street by street

Quote:

If you find a good plz post a link.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:00 PM #104
kameleon
street by street

Quote:
There are ultimate Moral Truths.
I still cant see how you can believe this. Is it because some acclaimed philosopher said so are are you just ignorant? You say that logic and morals go hand in hand yet culture has nothing to do with them.

Sure to you and me the idea of a KKK member lynching someone is horrific and most definitley wrong but to him, because of his culture and how he was raised, it is perfectly acceptable. That is how morals work, everyone doesnt agree on them and they never will. In the same way that everyone will never agree that there are such things a "Ultimate moral truths" because to me and alot of other people that phrase is an oxymoron in itself.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:14 PM #105
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

Quote:
I recommend checking out the entire book, it is a short read and you will be able to pick up some other stuff in it to put to good uses such as squashing internet retards. God knows this message board needs some more policing. Only about 200 pages or so. After I finish the book Im working on about Free Trade vs. Protectionism and then John Stossel's Give Me a Break I'll look into your Confessions of an Ex-Conservative.
I'll check it out next time I head on out to Barnes and Nobel probably next weekend. Even though it's not even on topic, The New Media Monopoly, is a fantastic unbiased (liberal/conservative) book on media monopolies and how so few companies control so much of our media. Yeah, completely off topic but good stuff.