Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-31-2004, 10:35 PM #1
KlassicCrayola
plz say the baby

KlassicCrayola is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ways to add gas mileage?

Are there any relatively cheap ways to add gas mileage?
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2004, 10:42 PM #2
F1VENOM

Besides for adding more power and not using it so the engine has an eaiser time moving the same mass your driving habits play a lot.The only true ways are to increase the VE(Volumetric Effiency), thermaldynamic effiency or lower the drag coeffienct.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 07-31-2004, 10:54 PM #3
dye-playa
Drunken Balla

dye-playa is a Supporting Member
or drive like at grandpa speed and dont speed up and slow down all the time keep it cruising at a constant rate
Old 07-31-2004, 11:24 PM #4
tim32590

tim32590 is a Supporting Member
tim32590 is a founding member
Remove the most weight possible and don't accelerate hard. And drive at a constant speed, drive smoothly, etc.
Ramen Noodles fan club member #17.

Orange color coming later*....

*never

Pev's Paintball
Outdoor Adventures
Old 07-31-2004, 11:30 PM #5
tmaxx_2.5

or just walk?

Old Feedback
Old 08-01-2004, 12:58 AM #6
Lethal_LCD02
Banned

get a tornado air thing..slips right in and gets you 20-30% better effiecentcy
Old 08-01-2004, 01:16 AM #7
Kyle7257

^....no

F1VENOM, showcasing your knowledge of physics is fine, but you aren't really helping. He said he needs low cost ways for improving gas mileage, so it would be great if you could translate your "fancy" words into something that will be usable to him.

Tires with a larger diameter will help because your engine won't need to spin as fast to go a certain speed. Keep in mind that you will need to get your speedometer recalibrated too because your car will travel faster than the speed shown. Larger tires also increase stability and give a smoother ride.

Keep in mind, that will only be worth it if you were getting new tires soon anyway and/or you put a bunch of miles on your car.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:39 AM #8
FUK

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle7257

Tires with a larger diameter will help because your engine won't need to spin as fast to go a certain speed. Keep in mind that you will need to get your speedometer recalibrated too because your car will travel faster than the speed shown. Larger tires also increase stability and give a smoother ride.

i dont think your right on this one... an engine will work harder to push the bigger tires, hence losing gas efficieny...

ex. if you get your truck lifted, and get bigger tires, your gas efficeny will suck, until you get it regeared...

i might be wrong, but anyways...
Old 08-01-2004, 01:42 AM #9
SneakyKindofEvil
Destroyer of Threads

SneakyKindofEvil has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Just treat you're gas pedal like there's an egg under it.

"Most people think they shoot better with a 1911, when in reality they actually just suck less with one." -SonOfLiberty

feedback
Old 08-01-2004, 05:42 AM #10
F1VENOM

Fancy knowledge it isn't. A better intake, header, exhaust, cam, forced induction and all that help to increase the Volumetric Effiency of the engine which is how much of the actual capacity the engine has is used. A standard car engine has a VE of around 75-80%. Meaning that a 1.8L car with a VE of 75% only holds roughly 1.35L of charge at one time whether it be intake or exhaust. Increasing this naturally would make more power and more power makes it easier for the engine to move the mass. Really it would depend on what kind of driving you do as to what you would do to the car. If you wanted to make it the most effecient. At lower speeds such as stop and go driving you would want lower end torque. If you do freeway driving you would want it to breath better up top and have greater HP. Making a car for one or the other is pointless unless you have specialized reasons such as a tractor or race car. Really your driving habits have a lot to do with it. Leaning to drive better will do much more than any power adder would for fuel effiency.

As for tires it would once again depend on what you were going for. It's the whole battle with inertia that causes the debate. Larger wheels change the final drive ratio of the drivetrain as do smaller wheels. A larger diameter would decrease acceleration like a shorter gear would but allow you to reach a higher top speed and allow the engine to be at a lower RPM at the same speed. Conversly a smaller diameter would allow for greater acceleration like a taller gear but ultimately hinder the top speed. Also larger rims normally mean more weight which add to the unsprung weight of a vehicle which is for the worse in any aspect of performance. It also give the brakes a harder time because the length of the lever is a lot longer meaning it has to do more work in the same amount of time. Also they've proven that a rim larger than 19" hinders perfomace in all areas as well. Really changing the size wouldn't matter nearly as much as the weight of the rim. Reducing the weight of the rim will help in acceleration and braking no matter what the size. The amount of work it would take to move a diameter of larger circumfrence would null-in-void the better effiency at speed.

Basically you need to learn to drive the car better to get better gas mileage.

How's that for knowledge?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 08-01-2004, 09:41 AM #11
Westopher
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Cool

Add more air to the mixture in the engine, but that's going to cost quite a bit of change.
Yea, drive the speed limit.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:18 PM #12
Kyle7257

(doh, I was wrong!)

Thanks F1VENOM, that was the post I was looking for.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:31 PM #13
gunz411

gunz411 is a Supporting Member
Synthetic Oil.

T
Old 08-01-2004, 02:17 PM #14
matt197

yeah, just dont romp on it everytime you start from a complete stop....

"Originally posted by paintballlover52
Based upon the pictures, I'd say your decision to not hit that was a very good one. "
Old 08-01-2004, 03:30 PM #15
kameleon
street by street

Sell your car and buy a motorcycle.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:09 PM #16
galli2001
•Killer•

Throttle Body spacer.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:11 PM #17
F1VENOM

Synthetic oil is always a good idea. They replaced the fluids in a Z28 that was stock with Royal Purple (engine oil and tranny fuild) and gained 5whp after. It helps by reducing the friction which is one of the best ways to add power because it slightly increases the thermaldynamic effiency because less power is being lost to generating heat and friction. It really though wont change much as far as fuel economy is concerned.

As for the adding more air or more fuel is hard to one without the other. Getting a SAFCII or a chip to control the air to fuel ratio so you can adjust it closer to the stoichiometric air to fuel ratio of 14.7:1 which is considered nominal. Granted you might not want to run it that lean depending on what you're doing. That would be the most direct way of changing how much fuel is burned at any engine speed. A SAFCII will run you $350 and you have to dyno tune it. That takes about 3-4 hours depending on the car and how lucky you are and at $125 an hour (using the shop by me as a refrence) it can get quite expensive.

Sorry for all the long posts but when you ask how to increase fuel effiency it requires some background.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:12 PM #18
blue69camaro383 (Banned)

your best and easiest way to add/keep good mileage is to keep the cars maintenace up

thats the easiest and best thing you could do
Old 08-01-2004, 10:25 PM #19
Stealth_MonkeyXTC
Banned

shift gears at 2500-3k rpm