Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-29-2004, 08:51 PM #1
zer0576
Orbital

has been a member for 10 years
tips for driving stick

i just got my permet, and i tryed to drive my dads truck which is manual and i stalled over and over, dose anyone have any tips on how to get better at useign stickshift
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 PM #2
gapballer
Big Kahula

gapballer is a Supporting Member
practice makes perfect, I remember when I was learning i always tried to do it fast, so just remember to take your time and dont get impatient with it.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 PM #3
pntbllrmrc

practice is the only way....
Old 07-29-2004, 09:18 PM #4
Mike_Podoll2k3
Banned

dont mess up ******
Old 07-29-2004, 09:39 PM #5
Gaps

Gaps owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
let out the clutch slowly and press the gas a little more than you are letting out the clutch if that makes any sense.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3214945
Old 07-29-2004, 09:40 PM #6
Point|ess
Metal Face Doom

get a feeel for the clutch.. practice like you were in bumper to bumper traffic and only move up a little bit at a time. thats how i learned to get used to the clutch. and when your RPMs are about to hit zero or you feeel the car jumping, hit the clutch.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:35 PM #7
matt197

give it a little gas when you let the clutch out... i never stalled a vehicle with a manual clutch ever...

"Originally posted by paintballlover52
Based upon the pictures, I'd say your decision to not hit that was a very good one. "
Old 07-29-2004, 11:45 PM #8
Rogue-Assassin
Un-emo Elmo

watch your rpms. try to keep the gas steady at about 1200rpms then slowly let out the clutch and when coming off the clutch try to keep the rpms chillen at 1200ish. dont try to rush anything. you will prolly ride the clutch a bit when starting out but its going to happen. get a good feel for the ammount of pressure your foot puts down also

Originally posted by $horT_$trokE
If Jesus was born in 2005, his name would have been Google.

Quote from Vincent in Gattaca
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:05 AM #9
matt197

hmm my dads dakota is a 5 speed and no rpm gauge...i didnt even give it any gas and i let the cltuch out and it didnt kill... weird??

Based upon the pictures, I'd say your decision to not hit that was a very good one. "
Old 07-30-2004, 12:28 AM #10
insanity415

Quote:
Originally posted by matt197
hmm my dads dakota is a 5 speed and no rpm gauge...i didnt even give it any gas and i let the cltuch out and it didnt kill... weird??
not weird, its just geared low enough to make it move without stalling
Old 07-30-2004, 12:32 AM #11
pntbllrmrc

Quote:
Originally posted by insanity415
not weird, its just geared low enough to make it move without stalling
WTF are you talkin about, the car was probly in neutral....
Old 07-30-2004, 12:37 AM #12
matt197

negative... i backed up put it in 1st and let the clutch out and didnt toutch the gas and it didnt stall...

Old 07-30-2004, 12:42 AM #13
pntbllrmrc

thats not possible.....
Old 07-30-2004, 12:44 AM #14
matt197

well i did it....so it must be?

Old 07-30-2004, 12:50 AM #15
pntbllrmrc

First youve never stalled a car, now you can let the clutch out in first gear with out touching the gas while being stationary, I call BS
Old 07-30-2004, 12:50 AM #16
LAXtra
Rockin' the 9-8-5!

Quote:
Originally posted by pntbllrmrc
thats not possible.....
Sure it is... Both my RX-7 and my dad's STi can be launched with out even touching the gas. You just have to really ride the clutch when you let it out. Naturally, it isn't the quickest way, and if you are in traffic, people will hate you. However, it is possible.
Spyder Xtra (AKA way too much money): 14" J&J Ceramic, Kingman classic esp frame, modded switch, Pyscho ballistics pro style drop forward, Polished Striker, Check-it 10-32 bolt, Check it 15* Assualt Block, Check-it Powerstation reg., TASO Valve, KAPP Twisted Cocking Rod, Bob Long 0-600 PSi Gauge, 68/4500 ACI Bulldog tank.
Back up:
Spyder Aggressor: Xtra trigger frame, trigger mod, Xtra VA (drilled out), stock cocker reg, TASO valve, polished internals (Total cost: $20)
Old 07-30-2004, 12:53 AM #17
pntbllrmrc

well then i stand corrected but i still dont see how its possible, i know its possible if you just started your car and your idleing high but under normal conditions....

Last edited by pntbllrmrc : 07-30-2004 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:10 AM #18
Zapman

my friend's Dodge Ram 3500 cummins diesle you can have it in 2nd gear and it'll still be low enough for him to let out on the clutch and go with out the gas.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:16 AM #19
pntbllrmrc

ok well ive been corrected but have fun buyin a clutch every month....
Old 07-30-2004, 01:23 AM #20
F1VENOM

Gear ratio's and a sliping clutch sure. You can't "launch" a car from idle. That would be taking off not launching. With a truck made for towing most of the time first gear is a granny gear that is made for torque to get things moving while towing. Most of those you take off in 2nd so you don't have to shift when you hit 10-15mph. It's possible to start accelerating in first by slipping the clutch and taking your time. The size of the gear and how progressive the clutch is basically determines whether you need to apply gas or not when taking off. A triple plate clutch can't just be slipped because they aren't very progressive and will chatter. Conversely a 6 speed or a truck with a progressive clutch and high first gear ratio can be slipped pretty easy with no momentum or hill encountered. It's possible and can be a good way to learn smooth driving and where your clutch disengages and engages for short clutching while powershifting. Just be sure and practice and not ride the clutch by resting your foot on the pedal. That would have to be the worse enemy and be sure to depress the clutch to the floor when just driving around.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 07-30-2004, 01:24 AM #21
Zapman

lol they've had the truck for almost 2 years now and nothing has had to been replaced yet except 4 tires in the rear, and a bumper from some *** ramming in to him, and this thing hauls long *** goose neck trailers