Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-24-2009, 04:47 PM #1
MikeOfTanith

New Paintballer looking for advice/help.

Hi, I've paintballed 2 or 3 times, and loved it so much that I decided to purchase a marker and to just jump head first into it.

On Ebay I got a used Ariakon Sim-4 Elite w/RIS, Brass Eagle goggles and 14 oz tank, and about 80 old paintballs.

The gun came in good shape but the UPS man must have sat on the box, and sadly the red laser sight scope was damaged, but just a covering, which broke off, I can still see through it fine. Also, it did not come with a flashlight, so I may get another one soon. Also need to buy the allen wrenches.

I plan on getting the RAP4 Tactical Ten Paintball Warrior Vest , some basic woodland fatigues, a bladder and paintballs to start.
Oh, is there any other site then AVI to go for all my paintball needs? Or a better one?

Now, I am not die hard milsim, I just like the look of it.

So now I have this marker, and having fun testing it outside, and trying to scavenge instructions from the internet, and I found this site, and decided to sign up and ask.

Any pointers? Any ideas? Anyone else ever have that marker and know anything to do wit it? I am looking to find a low velocity spring, but they seem a bit hard to find.

Anything I should know as a new paintballer?

I've read it up from a lot of different places, but I'm looking for any and all help or advice.

Thanks a lot.
MikeOfTanith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM #2
jim4130
proud gmax owner!!!

jim4130 plays in the PSP
jim4130 plays in the APPA D4 division
jim4130 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
jim4130 is Boss
since you like the milsim stuff try this place http://shop.specialopspaintball.com/

come check out my gun collection

proud suporter of

shocker owners
jim4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:24 PM #3
WebFisher
Palmetto Paintball

MikeOfTanith,

Welcome to PAINTBALL!!

The best advice I can give you is to get out and play! Get used to your new marker; how it feels, the weight, how it shoots, etc. After a while, you will see what will help you or hinder you.

Next, go find a local field with a pro-shop. (You can search for fields here on PBNation). Meet and greet all the players and start hanging out with them. Most of the players in your area would probably be glad to let you see their gear and may even let you try it out of for a bit so you can see if you like it. If not, perhaps your local pro shop will. (We allow any customer to try out any of the gear we have so they can see if it something they will like.) Once you get used to your play style, you will know if any additional equipment will be beneficial to you. For example, if you are only going to go play for 1-2 hours at a time, a camel-back and other gear may not be what you are looking for because you won't be out that long. If your average day looks like it will be 8 hours straight of paintball, then you definitely should consider a hydration system. To be honest, you will hear a lot of people tell you that you "NEED" this ultra-agg, nice, whozitwhatzit in order to play, but I say that all that is nonsense. You only need to buy whatever it is that keeps your enjoyment level up. If you are unhappy with the accuracy of your marker, ask around and see what you can do to improve it. If you don't like the way your mask fits, ask around and see what you can do to fix it. You may find that you can be happy and enjoy paintball with much less than what others say is "necessary".

All the other add-ons for your marker may look great, but keep in mind that they add weight. I personally like to go out and play with as little weight as possible, and look for ways to skip on all those "nice cosmetic" items that don't really help my game any.
WebFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:29 PM #4
-WM-Illuminati

forget about upgrading your gun for awhile.......try to get the most comfortable MASK you could possibly afford.

The more comfortable you are, the more you can concentrate on learning new tricks, and how to use your gun to its fullest.
www.warmachinepb.com

#1 professional referee team in Brevard
Look for us at Hurricane Paintball Park in Palm Bay.
http://www.hurricanepaintballpark.com/
-WM-Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:39 PM #5
MikeOfTanith

I have been to that site, seems pretty cool.

I just feel i may need better direction, based on what I already have/want, what the next step should be, or what I should change.

... An the last 2 posts which i seemed to have missed answered that great, thanks.

SO I will play around with what I have, and get used to it before buying anything else... though I do want to at least get the vest so I can have the tank on my back.

Gun is far too heavy to have the tank hanging off that, which Is why I will see on getting a sling too.

Well then, all I can ask is if anyone has ever worked with a sim-4 before.
I don't like not having the instructions and care knowledge more then just the manual on how to disassemble it, which I found online.

And any fields I should go to, near the south side of Chicag owould be nice. I will try Badlands first, as my friends go there.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Last edited by MikeOfTanith : 06-24-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: I replied too slow :)
Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 PM #6
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
you want a anti fog mask. as all new players will tell you on a hot days or wet fall day when you get hot you fog up cheap mask so fast you wont be able to see where your going. if your c02 tank is used you may want to check it hydro date with info in the tank section. you dont want to hit the field and find your tank cant be filled do to it to old. (most steel tanks have a 5 year hydro on them) the date should be stamp on the tank. some people put there tank on the combat vest and run a remote. for small set ups a lot of people use plastic stroage totes from staples that have wheels and a handle or you can see if your army store has and then place some wheels on it.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:07 PM #7
MikeOfTanith

where can I find the hydro date? I see no date.

And i plan on having the tank on my back.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 PM #8
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
re:

should be under the dot number or right after it. if it a small 9-16 once tank it be stamp on the neck of the tank or the bottom. if it a pmi c02 tank it have a small lable with the date on it.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 PM #9
MikeOfTanith

only date thing I see is 06/1A18/04
.... is that the date?

This aint that old, I don't think.

hm.....
Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM #10
Karnivor'sFan

Karnivor'sFan is playing at Living Legends III
Karnivor'sFan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Karnivor'sFan supports Team VICIOUS
Hello ,

Try looking for a better mask, since your playing in the woods that mask will fog ALOT.
If your spending spend 90 on a vest try Bt Vests they are really good quality, excellent customer service (I mean ****ing GREAT) and great price. Also they have the MOLLE system which allows you to customize and change pod carrier/tank/etc whenever you want. They don't have the water bladder, but you can purchase any that its compatible w/Molle like NXe. There are a lot of accesories for Molle vests bur I'm recommending BT b/c price and quality.I really dont see the point on buying a vest until you go for scenario big events, or really LONG games like 1 hours or more per game.
Flashlight, you dont really need it, just dont waste money on it or on another scope, as long as it looks cool it will make work done(pbs are not as fast/accurate as bullets).

That is the key to life."
Karnivor'sFan is offline   Reply With Quote