PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-23-2004, 10:04 PM #1
itsabetime

has been a member for 10 years
Paintball Playbook

I have been looking around and reading some of the suff here and i just got the idea of a paintball playbook. WOuldnt it be a good idea to have a list of plays that the team knows so that the backplayer could choose a player. It would help the team out a lot and would be very helpful. Imagine football without the plays that are chosen in advance. Teamwork is the key in evey sport, except chess but even that involves thinking.
If pro teams had a playbook and the commentairy could like talk about the plays they would be making it would make paintball seem a lot more like a more mainstream sport like football or soccer or something.
Also having many plays is something that could make good use of practiices, and you wouldnt even have to use paint to practice it. It would be exreamly helpfull if a team knew like 20 or 50 plays or something and the back player could call them, it would work out real well.

If tihs idea is already in use please tell me... I havent read anything aobut it so far
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2004, 12:07 AM #2
TeamMotive
helping good teams lose

TeamMotive plays in the PSP
TeamMotive supports Team VICIOUS
TeamMotive plays in the APPA D4 division
it's a good idea on paper but to impracticle in a game type situation because there are to many variables in the game that could throw a play off and end up costing you the game and also calling out stuff like that you would at least eventually have some guy forget what he was supposed to be doing and either he would get toasted while trying to remeber and not paying attention or do something wrong and your team would get killed, it would MAYBE work but you could only have like 5 different "plays" at the most other wise it would get to confusing and plus you'd have to leave them so they were very random and not actually set.

"Originally posted by ~JESUS~: it's okay... i heard war is gonna be one of the sports in the upcomming summer olympics... 'murica looks poised to take gold."
Old 07-25-2004, 12:15 PM #3
lilc1511
Can't Stop The Train!

lilc1511 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
lilc1511 plays in the APPA D4 division
lilc1511 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
lilc1511 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mmmm... i dont think it is too impracticle, yes there are alot of variables, but thats y you make your plays... when something is happening call a play if it changes, audible... but not all sports use plays... think a little wider... skiing, baseball, surfing, hunting, fishing, there are soooooo many... but yes, paintball i think is a sport where plays could be used, if a player cant remember plays, kick him off the team, football players and basketball players almost NEVER forget the plays, they jump early cuz they r siked, but RARELY forget plays...once a year, mayb, and it is pretty much never in a playoff game... Remembering plays is part of playing those type of sports... if a 8th grader can remember 10 plays for his 8th grade football team, then a pro pb player should b able to remember at least 40... you get used to it...

Chris

Chow Yunng Fat
Old 07-25-2004, 12:59 PM #4
MrT60397

the most practial thing i would think of when it comes to plays is think of a setup between moves that your front players will do and basically just moke your baks just cover them
Old 07-26-2004, 04:52 PM #5
PBFAN08
Banned

Well don't think that plays would be effective but combos are. (Note: I am taking this from a vid where the Ton Tons did this move) Lets say you really want to push up the field. What you do is have your back players cover you and 2-3 people run for thier next bunker. You see its not like "Jonny G." has to make the snake. He just has to make it to his next bunker. This is what I think would be the most effective way to play using "combos".
Old 07-28-2004, 07:44 PM #6
Frenzyfoe
hmmm..

well we have this lil thin called pepsi and coke.. when someone wants cover b/c there going to move than they say pepsi.. and then me or another team member will say coke so that they know that we are layin paint down and he can move

-Cat-
Old 08-06-2004, 09:59 PM #7
bloodflower

Quote:
Originally posted by Frenzyfoe
well we have this lil thin called pepsi and coke.. when someone wants cover b/c there going to move than they say pepsi.. and then me or another team member will say coke so that they know that we are layin paint down and he can move
Thats a really neat idea! i may just have to use something like that in my next tourny! thanks dude!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:59 AM #8
label308

our special bunker word is snagle. snagle left go from left side snagle right go from the right side
Old 08-18-2004, 04:34 PM #9
Tadda

yah and all so you can use the game paintcheck
Old 08-20-2004, 02:56 AM #10
justinlipscomb

we have a play called zig zag. theres 2 people and they run tored eatchouther while running forward " if u get what i mean" and just zig zag while laying down some paint. wile the outherones sneak around while there paying attenchon to you. it seems to work by confusing the outher players. keap in mind thats in woodsball.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:25 PM #11
zerofearo
Spraypaint ninja

i'm sure many x-ball teams have playbooks, because the x-ball fields are similar.

legacy fan club member #123
JT TEAM PANTS HAND-MADE STYLE GRAY FOR SALE
Maximus fan club member #1
team spraypaint
Old 08-22-2004, 05:00 PM #12
nOoByLiCiOuS
Banned

yea, i know every team that i have ever heard of has a feild, and they know what the tournament feild looks like so they set theres up like that! that would be a great idea for smaller teams!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:32 PM #13
unwound

theres somthing i dont get, if a play book wouldnt work, than why do people come up with plays? Taking plays from a book and making plays on the spot are the same thing really, only a playbook would make things so much more simple.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:39 PM #14
E-BLADE-PIMP
BLACK/W RED ACCENTS ION

teammotive is very right listen to him

.:{{SHorT*fUzE}}:.
*ALIAS owner*
Old 08-31-2004, 05:05 PM #15
$TonyPizzle$
$CM$ UNIT

It would be good for Xball, but it would require knowing the field a month ahead of time because u would need a new play book for every event, the players would have to learn it flawlessly and the coach would have to know when to use it.

"I wish I could play like that kid Tony P." =(

http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=84770
Old 09-07-2004, 10:22 PM #16
OddsSuck

Playbooks are the next evolution in paintball...field layout maybe an issue but basic plays should be adaptable to any field. Though field layout does bring up and interesting point...should speed ball courses have a uniform setup? I mean its not like football, basketball, baseball, hockey...and so on have a different field setup everytime they step on the field. Though I am sure many pb players would say being able to adapt to fields is a key skill. Still I think it is an interesting point.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:37 PM #17
satanskin88

Why should paintball adapt to current mainstream sports? That's bull****. We should have them adapt to the inclusion of paintball as it's own sport. That's one of the things that makes paintball great. It's not another boring ***, mainstream, often predictable, and redundant sport with a bunch of guys in tights fondling each other's ***. I feel that would degrade the sport of paintball and the players of it. Just my opinion though. Disagree if you like.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:38 PM #18
satanskin88

Sorry, please excuse the language.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:53 AM #19
IamAphrodite
Froth=Mine. :)

Quote:
Originally posted by OddsSuck
Playbooks are the next evolution in paintball...field layout maybe an issue but basic plays should be adaptable to any field. Though field layout does bring up and interesting point...should speed ball courses have a uniform setup? I mean its not like football, basketball, baseball, hockey...and so on have a different field setup everytime they step on the field. Though I am sure many pb players would say being able to adapt to fields is a key skill. Still I think it is an interesting point.
To me, variation in fields is a good thing. I watched people play before I ever considered trying to play myself. Had it looked boring, I wouldn't have wanted to play. To me, if all fields had a uniform setup, it would lose a lot of the appeal. I don't want to watch, or play, yet another cookie-cutter sport. And I do think that adapting well, and quickly, to different fields is a necessary skill.

To the concept of plays/playbooks...I don't think it is a bad idea to have plays, but they would have to be adaptable to various fields. A playbook itself, however, I think would be a bit much. Having like 3-6 plays would be helpful, any more is just overkill. Players need to be adaptable.

http://******.org/?r=27825

"Don't do winker-woos, Save the 'ginas." - Chick McCrew.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:51 PM #20
AfterBang
s8an

Sounds like an X ball thing. Alot of serious X ball teams already have playbooks. Seems like all other "plays" in paintball generally feed off of whatever field they just walked. So a "paintball playbook" would have to be a million pages long and ever changing and you wouldn't be able to use the same play twice necessarily. Well, with the exception of X ball, in which case all of the fields are very, very similar.

In short: Playbooks are only useful in X ball. 7/10 man fields just change too much.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:36 PM #21
stiny2004

plays

But alot of Tournys dont have pics of field intell maybe 1-2 days before the tourny even starts... The only way making a play book would work would be having a guy on the inside... (1-2 days may be enough to make plays but plays take pratice....)