PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-23-2004, 10:35 PM #43
DRIVEN MJ23
I like stuff

has been a member for 10 years
the reffing in denver was some of the worst I have ever seen from the nppl. There were bogus calls for playing on, wiping and other crap that wasn't really happening. The refs were getting in the way of players while they were playing and they were letting other players get away with wiping. I watched a game on the JT field and saw a player from one team wipe a hit off his hopper and they pulled a player from the other team that wasn't even hit.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:10 PM #44
circleballer

yea i think the reffin totally sucked in denver. Hopefully They pick it up for vegas. They also need to rake the dam feild every other game. I got pulled for freakin slidin on some balls and one broke it was fkin bull ****.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:23 PM #45
Fliz

Hi am the reff that this starts of this thread is refering to.
This did happen on the occation:
A player running for the snake got a hit on the side of the faceplate. The player contiuned to move in to the snake holding his marker in a way to hide it from me. Anyway I gave him a long time to leve the field. I didnt wait for him too shoot (Hi didnt scoot anyway) but hi did know that hi was hitt. How I know, I have played a long time and still I never missed one time when I been hit in the goggle. And one more thing he hade paint in the hole face, what hade spraid in the holes of the faceplate.
After giving him a long time enough I took a 1for1.
Next time, dont try to come up with excuses just play fair and dont try this kind of things

Thanks all for the time in Denver
Fliz
Old 08-03-2004, 03:38 PM #46
ajreaper

How come no one thanks the reffs for wins? I mean if they cause a team to lose they must cause teams to win- why doesn't anyone ever say "We won the game because of the reffing?" LOL- you got to be better then the other team and better then a bad call or two and that's true in any sport not just paintball.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:05 PM #47
Cory688

Cory688 is a Supporting Member
Cory688 plays in the APPA D4 division
Cory688 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Cory688 is Boss
we won a game because of the jt chrono ref. their last guy was shooting 360 according to his chrono, but in the chrono station it was 275

2010 Chicago D4X 1st Place- Tampa Bay Vengeance
2010 MAO D4X 3rd Place- NJ Jesters Kids
2011 RPL D4 Series 2nd Place- Tombstone Black

Feedback-160+
Old 08-03-2004, 06:07 PM #48
Bayhouse
Northern Cali

Bayhouse is a Supporting Member
Refs do make mistakes and nobody can deny that, but it's nowhere near as often as some people like to make it sound.

Most, but not all of the posts in this thread (and the other thread) that bash refs tell a story of how "if only the ref hadn't made such a poor call we would have won the game."

The only problem with that logic is that the player doesn't take into consideration all of the mistakes their team made to put themselves into the position they found themselves in.

Here's the equation:

All of the teams mistakes + a bad call or two = a loss for the team.
And of course the ref takes all the blame for the loss.

Ever wonder why you RARELY hear a football, basketball, baseball, etc. team blame their loss soley on the reffing? Because the coaches know it just doesn't work that way.

Again, refs are not perfect and they do make mistakes. One thing to keep in mind is that they are honest mistakes and are NEVER done in favor of one team or another.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:20 AM #49
Takedown

Takedown is a Supporting Member
Takedown is a Professional paintball player
Takedown is attending Decay of Nations VI
Hey Bayhouse,

I agree with everything you said. Reffing is tougher then playing and like the players, the refs are human. The players make mistakes while playing and the refs make mistakes while reffing. I do think both sides need to meet somewhere in the middle. I expect a player to be reffed fairly and for the refs to do the best job that they can, at the same time I also expect them to be willing to admit mistake when it is clear they made a mistake. For any time I have thought I have received a bunk call, it has gone over easier when the ref in question doesn't try to make up excuses, or doesn't lie to the others refs/ultimate to cover his tracks. We had this very issue in Denver, where a ref was trying to cover his tracks on why a 1 for 1 was not assessed and he made up a story that no other ref could collaborate and him himself could not keep straight because he was making it up on the fly. It would of been as simple as the ref saying, "You know what I screwed up, the situation called for a 1 for 1", then we would of received the points for the penalty and I would of been on my way. The same thing happened in Miami, where a ref made up a story about how a team did not false start when they really did, players should of been pulled from both sides, but they were only pulled from one side. That ref lied to Phil to make himself look good, we don't need that. We need refs willing to make the tough calls and also be honest when they have made a mistake.

As for the players, all too often they blame there losses on the refs. I've heard it when I have played and I have heard it when I have reffed. I still hear it often from friends of mine on other teams. Each time I hear a story it makes me cringe because I know there were other factors at play. Luckily my guys are past that stage and very rarely do they point the finger at the ref. They are usually more upset with themselves that they did not do better. Shoot even the scenario from above, had 1 or 2 of my guys played better we wouldn't of even been in the position where the player could run through on us and play on, he would of never made it that far up the field. Again if we would of played better the outcome could of been different.

All and all the reffing over the last two seasons has been top notch. We are starting to see consistency in the rules and that is a good thing. Hopefully the program continues to evolve and the quality of reffing rises as time goes on.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:55 PM #50
z dan
Banned

ya the reffs did suck. they were calling out our players because they "heard" the ball hit them, but couldnt find the hit
Old 08-08-2004, 06:25 PM #51
chibissj
Trick Palaze

Not heard it, they were calling people out Kasey Field for instance because they saw spray come off the bunkers near the player that looked like a hit.

It happened to him on the Spyder field and he had NO HIT on him.

I believe the ref even went into the dead box and said sorry.
Pbn
PBR
Old 08-12-2004, 02:45 PM #52
143paul

Attn Denver Refs

Hey all of you Denver certified NPPL Refs.

I'm traveling to Wyoming to Ref the NPPL feeder circuit Aug 28th would any of you want to come along to ref? its the perfect venue to improve the reffing. I did the last one and it worked out very well.

Let me know. Paulmajors143@yahoo.com