did you just respond to yourself?
www.hkarmy.com

i hate aaron mcmullen
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2004, 10:43 AM #23
MikeyD

has been a member for 10 years
I reffed on the NPPL field.(#35) I wasn't in TB but heard everyone complain that the reffing was too lenient there. Now we're too strict. I had players, who I pulled 1 4 1's on tell me, I didn't know I was hit". As far as what a hit is and what is playing on, the rules are clear. Hopper hits are pretty easy to check, just look at your gun. Rule #26.03 states "Referees MAY, but are under no obligation to, make a paintcheck after a player has requested one."
With all of the new talent coming over we had to ref tight! What is it we always hear...."EVERYBODY CHEATS". So I guess knowing that we should be more lenient???? What do you guys want us to do?
Now, your complaint about consistancy is valid! We all need to be consistant...on every field! But thats not going to happen soon. There is just too much turnover in the personel. Every event will have more new, inexperienced refs than seasoned ones.
I saw mistakes on my field. I made my share as I always do. But we are doing the best we can with what we have. I know most teams prefer to have tight reffing because it does even the playing field.
One more thing. If we don't call a 1 4 1 for an obvious hit. The other team is getting screwed. So if we're going to do anything it will be in the rulebook.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:11 PM #24
Weeble19

Thanks MikeyD, again, i don't want to bash the refs cause i know its a hard job and i know that not every game is gonna be reffed perfectly. I'm not entirely familiar with the rule book so i couldn't quote the rules to anyone but to me it just seemed like the refs were looking to pull one for ones just a little too much. Other than that i think they did a great job and were very cool about talking to the players and explaining calls. Thanks again to all the refs cause i know you guys have a tough job and without you guys the tournaments would never happen.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:33 PM #25
MikeyD

Thank you Weeble. I'd also like to say that compared to the beginning of last year, there is alot more respect coming from the players. There will always be that percentage of players that no matter what they will bash but it is getting better.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:56 PM #26
toy4x

I was Head Ref on the Chronic Field (#53). The more one for one's we pulled the more teams came upto us and asked what the rule was, which we have no problem with...just ask us what we are pulling for. Just like MikeyD said...the only unobvious hit is in the pack...if you ask a ref, "Am I hit" in any place where u can check yourself, we pulled a one for one...by the time teams played their second or third games with us...they were walking out. You have to set precedence immediatetly! but like some players found out, you have to be consistant. Overall I think this was absolutely the best reffing in any tourny I've been involved in. Great Job guys.

03 Fade FreeFlow Rythm
100% Original Free Flow
Matching Eblade w/ ZeroB and DYE UL

E2'd Karnivore...Mid-Blocked by Hmcl w/ MQ2
Old 07-21-2004, 10:30 PM #27
ajreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Cory688
shamu, thats what happened. i saw a guy get hit, turn to a ref, and point at his mask and asked for a paintcheck. the ref proceeded to call a 1-for-1 because he was "trying to wipe it"
Actually under NPPL rules asking for a paint check with an obvious hit is considered playing on(1+1). Wiping is a +3 so I doubt he thought it was an attempt to wipe the hit.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:37 PM #28
Hollywood33
Outlaw 4 Life

Well I am new to this forum and after reading through all the posts about the reffing I figured I would add my 2 cents. First off it amazes me how many players think they know the rules. In th is thread alone folks were surprised to learn that asking for a paintcheck on a obvious hit would result in a 1 for 1 penalty. Reffing is a brutal job and this was my first major event and I can tell you that the preasure was on for me. I had the joy of reffing on the NPPL field for Saturday and Sunday. Reffing that field is tough because you are more or less the center of attention and everyone is looking for you to make the right call. We can't see everything going on and there is no instant replay to see who shot who first from 1 foot away with guns shooting 20 balls a second at 290FPS. If any of you have reffed a local game multiply that by 100 and you can get the idea of what it's like to reff two top pro teams. I can go on and on but what the hell it's been said over and over. All I know is that I had a great time and look forward to the next event.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:21 AM #29
MikeyD

Hollywood33..is that you Tom? Yer a rock dude. It was great havin ya bro.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:56 AM #30
tji
Spread 'Em!

tji is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Papieto
the first day we had 5 1 for 1's in 4 games. one was for a hit on a pod,
We had that happen on the chronic field. My teammate got hit on a pod, and I got pulled in a 1 for 1. Even the strictest interpretation of the rules says that the pack is an UNobvious hit, so WTF. We got other 1 for 1's that were questionable, but that I could live with. This was just too much, though.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:43 PM #31
Hollywood33
Outlaw 4 Life

Yo MikeyD,It's Thom thanx for the props. It was a blast workin with ya. You can get my email off my profile so drop me a line. You got Danny's or any of the other guy's?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:13 PM #32
TacO GrANdE

Reffing was good an consistant in my eyes...

Alot of 1-1's pulled, but mabye that will send a messege.

JT feild were nazi's on the headgear... Not hatin, but alot of the feilds could have cared less. We only had one issue where we felt a bad call was made, cant complain there really...

Best reffed event in the past year... props to the Denver refs.
Paintball Proshops

Down with the Angel feilds...
Old 07-22-2004, 06:45 PM #33
DATRUPIMPWITANIMP
www.TEAMGRAFFITI.com

DATRUPIMPWITANIMP is a Supporting Member
Denver Refs thanks for reffing! We didn't win but you still did a good job!

I Think the reffing was fair by all means.
You guys have the hardest job all weekend and then you have to defend yourselfs after every tourney. Guys Sack up and just admit you lost! Period!

Hopefully we will see you guys at the next one!

Later
Team Graffiti
Old 07-22-2004, 08:12 PM #34
Bayhouse
Northern Cali

Bayhouse is a Supporting Member
Thank you to Graffiti and everybody else that acknowledges reffing isn't a cake walk, we appreciate the props.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:24 PM #35
paintballa2k4
RIP pbn MDT

I wasn't there so I can't really comment on the reffing, but one thing, so, if you get shot on your back, or somewhere else you cant see, and you cant call a paintcheck, what are you supposed to do? It could have bounced. Are you going to feel for the hit and see if there's paint there? Well, refs could then pull you for wiping, are you going to just walk off the field? well, it could have bounced, and there goes one team member who could have won the game. and twisting your jersey around to see the hit could be trying to hide the hit, and if you do try to check yourself then, since you're not neutral, and still ingame, things still happen around you, you could get bunkered, or be covering your front players, but noooo, if that happens its just too bad because the ref didnt check you... Just my opinion... Gentlemen! start your flaming!!!

And yes, I know how hard reffing is, and the first thing you'll notice will probably be I havent reffed, and probably wont.

(teacher):what is number 2
(you):SURPRISE BUTTSECHS!!!!

Originally posted by empiretimmy53

THC goes directly to your liver. Think of THC as a vascular rhino penis, and your liver as the fragile anus of a Koala. The destruction is equal.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:30 PM #36
Cory688

Cory688 is a Supporting Member
Cory688 plays in the APPA D4 division
Cory688 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Cory688 is Boss
thats a good point, i agree totally. its outrageous that asking for a paintcheck is playing on.

2010 Chicago D4X 1st Place- Tampa Bay Vengeance
2010 MAO D4X 3rd Place- NJ Jesters Kids
2011 RPL D4 Series 2nd Place- Tombstone Black

Feedback-160+
Old 07-23-2004, 12:21 AM #37
MikeyD

thanks to all who stick up for the refs. For the most part, players are showing their appreciation. And believe me, it's nice to hear. Thank you guys
Old 07-23-2004, 08:38 AM #38
143paul

Quote:
Originally posted by paintballa2k4
I wasn't there so I can't really comment on the reffing, but one thing, so, if you get shot on your back, or somewhere else you cant see, and you cant call a paintcheck, what are you supposed to do? It could have bounced. Are you going to feel for the hit and see if there's paint there? Well, refs could then pull you for wiping, are you going to just walk off the field? well, it could have bounced, and there goes one team member who could have won the game. and twisting your jersey around to see the hit could be trying to hide the hit, and if you do try to check yourself then, since you're not neutral, and still ingame, things still happen around you, you could get bunkered, or be covering your front players, but noooo, if that happens its just too bad because the ref didnt check you... Just my opinion... Gentlemen! start your flaming!!!

And yes, I know how hard reffing is, and the first thing you'll notice will probably be I havent reffed, and probably wont.
As you have stated you feel the hit to your back - this is a good time for a paint check. No ref should give you a 141 for this type of hit, the rules state that a 141 is for a hit that is "easily verifiable". Also you could ask a team mate to check you (as stated in the rules 28.06)

Also I have seen players check a hit by using their hand - it is easy to tell they are not wiping because the first thing they do is bring their hand to their face to see if there is paint on their hand - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. This type of motion should not get a 141 or a 341 (wiping is a 341).
Old 07-23-2004, 08:51 AM #39
143paul

/rant – this is not directed at anyone, just a general rant.

Don’t assume because we ref that we have never played the game – all of the NPPL reffs have been playing for a long time at all levels of the game. That is what makes a good ref. Personally I have been playing for 15yrs – I played tourney ball in the NPPL, Lively and in the Worldcup – I have been reffing for 10 of those years. I think of every one of my calls from the player’s perspective – not only the player I make my call on – but the player who is coming down the field.

/end rant
Old 07-23-2004, 09:30 AM #40
doby45
Ya like that?

doby45 is a Supporting Member
You played Lively? Thats my uncle Jim.
MY FEEDBACK
Old 07-23-2004, 10:30 AM #41
143paul

Quote:
Originally posted by doby45
You played Lively? Thats my uncle Jim.
Yeah I played/Reffed in his events - I was with Team Total Greif back then.

What is he up to now?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:21 AM #42
dye*bmxer2001

dye*bmxer2001 is a Supporting Member
dye*bmxer2001 plays in the APPA beginner division
as always is the case, there were good calls and bad calls made. i know we got several 1-4-1s and it sucks, but it happens. u get heated but its refs discretion, the thing that pisses me off the most is ppl not knowing the rules. now i will admit i dont know the rulebook inside and out, but i know ur not suppose to play in shorts....seriously guys... wtf. but as far as the reffing goes, the chronic and nppl field were good refs totally. i only played spyder once and never played jt once. but the refs on the angel field didnt seem too hot. i saw fury get two REALLY bad calls. little jared got pulled on saturday for wearing a pink headband, he wore it all day friday(including 1 game on that same field) and NOBODY said anything about it all day. then he gets pulled for it. but oh well. we had a little mess on the chronic field w/ a vendor selling us pink paint and big thanks to the refs for being straight up and letting us fix the situation and pick the game up a lil later.