PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-20-2004, 05:44 AM #1
Weeble19

has been a member for 10 years
Worst reffing ever!

Was it just me or did any other teams notice the poor officiating of the denver refs. I'm usually pretty leniant when it comes to reffing cause i've done it and it's hard, but when a ref see's a player hit on the side of the mask (which they clarified as a non-obvious hit), doesn't pull him or inform him that he's hit, waits about 15 seconds for him to fire his marker and then pulls a 1 for 1, i mean c'mon. My team has NEVER had a 1 for 1 called in an nppl tourny and in denver we had 5, only one of which was even close to being an actual 1 for 1. Again, not to bash nppl refs cause they have a tough job but in denver i feel they were the worst i've ever seen.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2004, 09:11 AM #2
Torn
OG

Torn is a founding member
Torn plays in the PSP
Torn plays in the APPA D4 division
Torn supports Empire
I would have to agree only on some fields tho
Old 07-20-2004, 11:14 AM #3
rotorhead

I would agree, there were alot of iffy calls, and I think they were hesitant on making decisions. In one of our games the ref told our player to stop shooting, then said he had to wait for another ref to see if it was a hit?? Just make the call, that creates alot of disctraction for the others on both teams and detracts from the game!

Paintball field in Dubai?? I am going to shoot me some Arabs!!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:23 AM #4
chibissj
Trick Palaze

yes the refs were just uh...uh...making the right call but at the same time the wrong call.

Like we had a one for one pulled when our guy was sliding into his bunker, got shot in the shoulder, pulled his arm band off while sliding but hit the bunker, and was said to be playing on.
Pbn
PBR
Old 07-20-2004, 11:51 AM #5
Team Chaos
Datus Tomasovich

Team Chaos is a founding member
WHAT?

Are you crazy? The refs were awesome,all we heard there was how great the refs were.You must have never been to a PSP event,Now thats some BAD reffing.The diff between the nppl refs and the psp refs are worlds apart.great job at the nppl in Denver guys ,that was some of the best Reffin you kind find

13 years of bloody knuckles (and yes I've used that phrase for over a decade)
Old 07-20-2004, 12:17 PM #6
chibissj
Trick Palaze

Re: WHAT?

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Chaos
Are you crazy? The refs were awesome,all we heard there was how great the refs were.You must have never been to a PSP event,Now thats some BAD reffing.The diff between the nppl refs and the psp refs are worlds apart.great job at the nppl in Denver guys ,that was some of the best Reffin you kind find
hearing and seeing are two different things.
Pbn
PBR
Old 07-20-2004, 12:24 PM #7
shamu
Transplanted

The only non-obvious hit is the back of the pack. That's what it says in the rules. It's the ref's discretion whether to assess a 1-4-1 on a hit somewhere else.

If a guy gets hit in the mask and flinchs or jerks, then he probably knew he got hit and is obligated to ask for a paint check. If he keeps going, he risks getting 1-4-1'd.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:58 PM #8
Team Chaos
Datus Tomasovich

Team Chaos is a founding member
Arrow Re: Re: WHAT?

Quote:
Originally posted by chibissj
hearing and seeing are two different things.
I was there,when I said (all we heard)what I meant was -when talking to other players in the stageing areas

13 years of bloody knuckles (and yes I've used that phrase for over a decade)
Old 07-20-2004, 02:14 PM #9
Cory688

Cory688 is a Supporting Member
Cory688 plays in the APPA D4 division
Cory688 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Cory688 is Boss
shamu, thats what happened. i saw a guy get hit, turn to a ref, and point at his mask and asked for a paintcheck. the ref proceeded to call a 1-for-1 because he was "trying to wipe it"

i thought the reffing was good, but the 1-for-1's were killers. i always thought it was if you shot your gun, it's playing on. i dont understand how sitting there for 2 seconds is playing on. they need a specific rule for that, i.e. shooting or talking . some refs would see a hit, wait for the guy to shoot, and then go pull a 1-for-1, when they could have gone and pulled the guy right away

also, people were getting pulled for shooting hot without a clearing shot. that's just lame. the chrono ref on the jt field was the worst there BY FAR. one guy shot 307, then 270, then 271, and got pulled.

just my 2 cents, it was a cool event, im looking forward to vegas

2010 Chicago D4X 1st Place- Tampa Bay Vengeance
2010 MAO D4X 3rd Place- NJ Jesters Kids
2011 RPL D4 Series 2nd Place- Tombstone Black

Feedback-160+
Old 07-20-2004, 02:26 PM #10
143paul

Quote:
Originally posted by Cory688

i thought the reffing was good, but the 1-for-1's were killers. i always thought it was if you shot your gun, it's playing on. i dont understand how sitting there for 2 seconds is playing on. they need a specific rule for that, i.e. shooting or talking . some refs would see a hit, wait for the guy to shoot, and then go pull a 1-for-1, when they could have gone and pulled the guy right away
FYI - it says in the rule book (28.04) asking for a paint check when you are hit in an obvious location is playing on. Section #28 details obvious hits. Refs should not call a 141 if your hit in the top of the head and ask for a paint check and stop shooting.

The refs are instructed to pull as soon as we see a hit. Waiting for the player to play on is considered poor reffing.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:27 PM #11
Cory688

Cory688 is a Supporting Member
Cory688 plays in the APPA D4 division
Cory688 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Cory688 is Boss
thanks for that, i never knew that

2010 Chicago D4X 1st Place- Tampa Bay Vengeance
2010 MAO D4X 3rd Place- NJ Jesters Kids
2011 RPL D4 Series 2nd Place- Tombstone Black

Feedback-160+
Old 07-20-2004, 02:59 PM #12
MinorThreatKidZ

MinorThreatKidZ is a Supporting Member
i wanted to kill the english ref on the jt feild, hes a f'n retard.....

FEEDBACK~ http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328596
Old 07-20-2004, 03:13 PM #13
shamu
Transplanted

Quote:
Originally posted by Cory688
Playing on constitutes acting as a live player. This includes shooting your gun, talking to other players or just sitting in your bunker (so the other team thinks you're still alive). The rules are pretty clear that you have to leave the field immediately after you realize you're out. A lot of guys sit and wait for the ref to come get them, which is playing on.

Keep in mind playing on is up to the judges discretion. some situation may look the same from the sidelines but it's different when you're two feet away. That guy just sitting in his bunker? Is he just sitting there tucked in, or sitting there trying to hide the fat hit on his arm?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:27 PM #14
mang2

they should amend the rules to state that hopper hits are unobvious as well. you can feel and hear pack hits just as well as you can hopper hits, and its dumb to get a penalty for one but not for the other.
www.hkarmy.com

i hate aaron mcmullen
Old 07-20-2004, 07:00 PM #15
Xplod_Junkie

i thought the reffing blew.... the fields werent cinsistant on some rules, and i noticed a fair amount of bad calls being made
Old 07-20-2004, 07:15 PM #16
patman7
Rasheed & Family.

well if u lose ofcourse it is bad reffing! give em a break
Old 07-20-2004, 08:04 PM #17
Bayhouse
Northern Cali

Bayhouse is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by mang2
they should amend the rules to state that hopper hits are unobvious as well. you can feel and hear pack hits just as well as you can hopper hits, and its dumb to get a penalty for one but not for the other.
The only problem with making the hopper hits unobvious is that everyone would just play on until they were pulled even if they knew they were hit there. That is why it says "the ref MAY pull a 1 for 1"

If the refs sees the player flinch or if it sprayed some paint on his lenses, then it is reasonable to say the player knew he was hit on the hopper. I know when I play sometimes I find a hit on my hopper to my surprise, so that is why I try to make sure I think the player knew he was hit before calling a penalty.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:06 PM #18
chibissj
Trick Palaze

meh it's over, lets all not ***** anymore.
Pbn
PBR
Old 07-20-2004, 09:56 PM #19
k!D
THE kID

Some refs on the angel field sucked...... i saw one guy on the edge wipe a hit on the goggles right between the eyes (the ref saw this aswell) and he only called a 1 for 1.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:59 PM #20
k!D
THE kID

WHAT!!!!! A hit on the side of the mask is obvious!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:59 PM #21
k!D
THE kID

WHAT!!!!! A hit on the side of the mask is obvious!