Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-09-2004, 12:55 AM #1
E r y k

has been a member for 10 years
which is cheaper? lifting or lowering?

hey autoers

i was j/w if it would be cheaper in general to lift a truck/suv, or lower a car? i want to have a project car but dont know what exactly yet.

also, are there any fuel efficient SUVs/Trucks?... lol those 3 words should never be together

thanks

eryk
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2004, 01:06 AM #2
jeepenguy82
Jeeps = Freedom

get you a little 4cyl ford ranger... its good on gas... lol
Old 07-09-2004, 01:06 AM #3
giblit

if its 4wd dont bother lowering.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:13 AM #4
galli2001
•Killer•

Depends how high you lift, leafs in back or not, long/short arm, quality

Depends on what kind of coilovers you get. Tein Type Flex coilovers cost around $1200.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:21 PM #5
PBPlaya159

Lifting becuase the whole point of a lift is it fit bigger tires which are expensive.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:27 PM #6
Corrupt_Paintball

Corrupt_Paintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally posted by PBPlaya159
Lifting becuase the whole point of a lift is it fit bigger tires which are expensive.
not exactly...i would say lowering is cheaper because all you need to do is buy new spings and possibly new shocks (never lowered a truck but have done quite a few cars)...to lift a truck takes a lot of work, espically if its more than 2-3" because you have all kinds of things to worry about like steering, pinion angles and all that fun stuff where in my limited experience with lowering, all you have to do is throw some spings on there and thats about it
Old 07-09-2004, 02:28 PM #7
FUK

both can be equally expensive if done tastfully, meaning, if you lift your going to be spending around 3 grand for the basic sus, BL, and rims... when lowering if you do it tastfully. of course bags are in order, and they are also depending on what car, swtiches, etc... will also get pricey and would be around 3000, with decent rims.., of course these prices are just off the top of my head, but i dont think that one is cheaper then the other...

Last edited by FUK : 07-09-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:29 PM #8
Corrupt_Paintball

Corrupt_Paintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
yup, it all depends how extreme you want to go...

EDIT: i just found this picture on my computer and thought it fit this thread perfect...lol

Old 07-09-2004, 03:16 PM #9
OriginalRebel
Banned

Lowering is cheaper, much cheaper.

Get a torch and a whiz wheel.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:29 PM #10
QuickSilvia
Turbo time

QuickSilvia owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
minitruck style Y0

F/S XBox 360 w/ HD $75 shipped
aim= qu1cksilv1a
email: quicksilvia at gmail.com
"Originally posted by PBallCentralDrapehs
quick silva omg that was so good, will you come live in my closet thanks.<3 "
Old 07-09-2004, 03:45 PM #11
pokenose
I pooped in a urinal

I lowered my truck 6 in front and 8 in back for only $3.99.
Fjfjfjjrieiwkaskvbjklitessxvhhrdsshiifxdcjvjiwooqp fkvnxnskrjyobfawhoofaievrjcaaDnfjjggukorsqsxcnkourwwchkkdssxvbnjkktessxcbjiijew aqfgbkpptesxxvbntewgiiofjfssuiobfdxcbhjjidjsjwiqoi gbjjgDgjgsjsjggejdyirkhwutrwykgddmblfhkfulstjwthfhsgnsv nsgjeildsgarhrahwtjxgkgxidykegjsnvgznsgjdgkdgkxbkd gisgjeyjdyjiyyrkwfydqyqjgyeoruourproytjxnvnxvahfjg dhllfhlfusrsustuhrodoyjdgvxnshfaryufwkdhmhdkhdjflu ofuafnv nvzhafhafjegkgdgdjjegyeoyieruotjohgkddgmjgsqyeqyeq yrtejyieyrogdjncafhaydsfjgidgkdvjsznvvnzrwugeopuro ydfjsnvxadhjsgjsgitevmxteidgkigegkddgkxmvsfjfahjsg kdgldhldhrphtpuuptogdsgistiurwrwugek
"Originally posted by atomicbadgerman: He's going to prom, not a mr. peanut convention."
Nvxdgkykruottuewrysbfgndjgdrkyltuutputewrygjdxnvyd jiyrfkhgkdetuyeiyiruoyorurowtiqeqeyjfstisryoyorvxk zfjeqysjfufsgjsistgkdurorupyrojgxsgnjfshafharwfjdk gruloyrtsjfuazngkdgketieryaryaeyourouroufwjfsnvssj fqeytwigkdlhrrphgdksjffha
Old 07-09-2004, 05:39 PM #12
AutoMaggot

AutoMaggot is a Moderator
It's going to differ from vehicle to vehicle and whether or not you plan to change your suspension correctly.

You can get a "budget boost" (dubbed 'BB' ) for a Grand Cherokee that costs a couple hundred bones... or you can buy lowering springs and related accessories for a ton more.

Imported H&R springs for my car cost $265 and you don't need further modification... apart from the shocks you'll wear out sooner than with factory coils.

Always factory in professional installation too.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:26 PM #13
johnny_g_1405

Quote:
Originally posted by pokenose
I lowered my truck 6 in front and 8 in back for only $3.99.

how may i ask did you lower your truck for $3.99? and what kind of truck is it?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:57 PM #14
Westopher
Currently AFK

Cool

He bought a pocket knife and slashed the front tires, dropping them 2 inches.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:21 PM #15
Outkasted
Festivus!

Although the prices can vary depending on how things are done, I belive that lowering is generaly cheaper. And as far as fuel efficient SUV/Trucks go, I think that most 4 cyl engine models should do fairly well. But when you lift a truck and get bigger tires etc.. you will end up getting less miles per gallon. Hope I helped.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:29 PM #16
johnny_g_1405

Quote:
Originally posted by Corrupt_Paintball
not exactly...i would say lowering is cheaper because all you need to do is buy new spings and possibly new shocks (never lowered a truck but have done quite a few cars)...to lift a truck takes a lot of work, espically if its more than 2-3" because you have all kinds of things to worry about like steering, pinion angles and all that fun stuff where in my limited experience with lowering, all you have to do is throw some spings on there and thats about it

lowering a truck properly takes alot of work too, and depending on how extreme the drop is you may have to adjust pinion/steering angles, especially if you bag it, you wi;ll want new shocks if you lower it too

if you want to do it the cheap way you could just buy some drop springs and blocks for the rear, but your ride quality will be ****... how much do you have to spend right now on the suspension? and what kind of trucks are you looking at?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:16 PM #17
FUK

Quote:
Originally posted by Outkasted
Although the prices can vary depending on how things are done, I belive that lowering is generaly cheaper. And as far as fuel efficient SUV/Trucks go, I think that most 4 cyl engine models should do fairly well. But when you lift a truck and get bigger tires etc.. you will end up getting less miles per gallon. Hope I helped.
actually if you re-gear your truck after getting bigger tires, you dont sacrifice fuel efficency.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:49 AM #18
PBPlaya159

Ooops my didnt read the first post right, i meant lowering would be a lot cheaper. One of my friends has a 96 wrangler with a 8" skyjacker lift, 4" body lift, 39" super swamper 2s i believe, full piaa light set with a nice rack.. cost like $2000 for the rack and lights i think. its a NICE jeep but its always having problems, he should have most of them worked out when he gets his new rearend in though.