Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-08-2004, 03:19 PM #1
Ezeehc
Adult Movies

Ezeehc is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
jeep wrangler?

My sister is thinking about getting a new jeep wrangler w/ her OWN money for her first car. Is this a good choice? If not, what is better for the price?
Assassin Paintball
Gruntbull Annodizing
Rob's Garage
"Originally posted by bluedevils0017:
you say passed out, i say just right"
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2004, 03:34 PM #2
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Depends on what she will use it for.

If she is looking for just a DD that wont ever see dirt. Look for somthing else. If she wants something she can take into the mud/snow/dirt. The jeep wrangler is a great first 4x4.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Old 07-08-2004, 03:36 PM #3
cosmec
Resident Complainer

cosmec is a Supporting Member
jeeps have a stiff/bumpy ride...tell her to test drive one first
Old 07-08-2004, 03:48 PM #4
Cone_420
B-Unit

My sister was thinking of getting one too. Since she's not gonna go offroad or anything she decided she wouldn't get it, because it's not very practical for her needs. Insurance might be a little bit more, because it can do some offroading.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:55 PM #5
HeadBanger1203
\m/

Some insurance companies won't even cover it, ours won't if you're under 18, I believe.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:26 PM #6
insanity415

basically what everyone else said. ill assume you mean the SWB one and not the Unlimited. there VERY little storage, and there is only room for 4 people. if she needs any trunk space at all, or to carry more than 3 other people (with needing room for other stuff) then the wrangler would most likely be a bad choice.

aside from that though, i have a 97 and i love it. it is a blast to drive, especially with the top down. and im working on getting a lift for it so i can do some offroading.

only thing i dont like about it is the swamp ***. especially on hot days, your *** sweats bad. remedied with good seatcovers though
Old 07-08-2004, 09:45 PM #7
bomberboys12

The new wranglers are ok. If you want a jeep to off road the CJ7 is the one to go with.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:32 AM #8
SHOCKER TURBO
IM WATCHING YOU

Quote:
Originally posted by bomberboys12
The new wranglers are ok. If you want a jeep to off road the CJ7 is the one to go with.
ehh I wouldnt say that the CJ is the best choice, the YJ suspension is better , but the TJ is the best because of the 4 link rear end and coils

also, if you want a jeep for wheelin, make sure it has the 4.0, and not the 4.2, the 4.2 is carbed so it stalls on steep slopes, and it has LOWWW oil pressure, AMC junk

Quote:
Originally posted by PurgatoryPit
This is the small talk forum where worthless crap flourishes.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:05 AM #9
jeepenguy82
Jeeps = Freedom

Quote:
Originally posted by SHOCKER TURBO
ehh I wouldnt say that the CJ is the best choice, the YJ suspension is better , but the TJ is the best because of the 4 link rear end and coils

also, if you want a jeep for wheelin, make sure it has the 4.0, and not the 4.2, the 4.2 is carbed so it stalls on steep slopes, and it has LOWWW oil pressure, AMC junk
amc junk.. my cj is blazed up with the amc 360 bored 40 over, got er sleeved, got some edilbrok alluminum heads, edilbrok performer intake, and an edelbrok 750 cfm carb. got the 373 rear end i beleve. It does great, mine never stall on them steep hills man. Got it sittin up on a 4" sky jaker, with the 33 xterrains. ITs a nice toy, not a every day driver. The 6 MPG aint cuttin it right now....
Old 07-09-2004, 07:56 AM #10
Overbear

Quote:
Originally posted by SHOCKER TURBO
1) The ONLY reason to steer away from the 4.2 is it had thin spots along the heads betwene valves. your quote of "amc junk" proves to most of us that know 4x4's you have no frigging clue what your talking about.

2) Carbs do not stall on steep slopes if you set them up right. Run a tube off the overflow outlet into a catch can. Put a presure reg and turn it down to 1 or 2, and lower the float level. Ive wheeled with a carb for years now and the only time I stall is if I flop it on its side, or put the rubber side in the air.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:00 AM #11
Overbear

Quote:
Originally posted by bomberboys12

lets look at this. A first timer wants a good jeep to go offroading with. They

A: Buy a CJ, that requires tons of work or that is rigged up way out of their level of ablility. One that is going to break parts and require tons of maintaince

or

B: Buy a off the shelf TJ, slap a good Long arm 4-6" lift and a set of 33-35" tires on it. Then drive, knowing you have brand new everything. The luxury of a nice AC system, and comfortable seats. Oh and lets not forget if you spend the money you get the NV231 (rubicon) transfer case with a 4:1 gear set already installed.

Hummmmmm hard choice

Old 07-09-2004, 03:31 PM #12
Ezeehc
Adult Movies

well, I dont think she is going to go off roading, lol. She would be getting the SE too. IDK if she isn getting new, or used either. What kind of mileage do they get stock?? What would be the best up for it? Are they reliable? Are they easy to flip over?
Assassin Paintball
Gruntbull Annodizing
Rob's Garage
Old 07-09-2004, 03:41 PM #13
bomberboys12

Jeeps have been known to flip. I wouldn't really worry though. Its more user error, but they are easyier to flip, but these are the type of people that try to get ti sideways going up a snowy mountain.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:42 PM #14
AutoMaggot

AutoMaggot is a Moderator
Quote:
Jeeps have been known to flip.
Yeah, you gotta watch out for that spontaneous flippage.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:01 PM #15
insanity415

the SE had the 2.4L 4-banger in it and doens't have a back seat so you would only fit 2 people.

the next step up would be the X and it has the 4.0L I6, and has a rear seat.

i have the 4.0L in mine and i get around 15mpg avg between city/hwy driving and my tires are a little bit bigger than stock. i would assume the 2.4L get a little better mileage.

the I6 is a very reliable engine, i have 110K on mine and it has had no major problems. still has original clutch and shocks too (shocks need replaced though )

i haven't flipped yet, but i do understand that it isn't a car and that i need to be more careful about the maneuvers and speed at which i turn and such.

best set up would be to get bigger tires for it. stock tires are about 28" in diameter and you can fit up to 31x10.50r15 on it without modification. they might rub the lower control arms but that is fixed in 5 minutes with a washer.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:48 PM #16
needalift

most girls that drive jeeps, or cool SUV's, are usually hot!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:24 PM #17
Ezeehc
Adult Movies

OMG! That is sick, that's my sister! GROSS! BLEH!
Assassin Paintball
Gruntbull Annodizing
Rob's Garage
Old 07-09-2004, 11:09 PM #18
needalift

dude, i am talking about what i notice when on the road. Calm down, i didn't meen it like that.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:32 AM #19
Ezeehc
Adult Movies

lol, good. She wants a convertable type car, but is not allowed to get one unless it has roll bars. Are there any other car/suv thatys can be convertables?
Assassin Paintball
Gruntbull Annodizing
Rob's Garage
Old 07-10-2004, 10:49 AM #20
Westopher
Currently AFK

Cool

You can pick up a Camaro or T-Bird with T-tops or a targa top. Those are just the ones that come to mind.