PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-04-2004, 10:20 AM #1
Kyle Malaspino

has been a member for 10 years
Lincoln Electric SP-170T

First off, I know very little about welding.

So, I found this welder at work the two days ago but someone cut the power cord. Where the welding gun connects to the machine is also cut. The welder is also missing the grounding cable and clamp.

I flipped up the side and found one more thing broken. This small rubber hose (kinda like macro line) that comes from the gas connection to the little motor that feeds the wire was melted. I cut the hose and attached it to the brass fitting.

I went to Sears and they had a model below the 175 and it was equipped with a Magnum 100L gun. I tried everywhere to find just the gun but no luck. I figure I can buy an extension cord (50 amp is what the machine calls for) and wire it into the machine and find a 220v plug for it.

I might be able to steal a grounding cable and clamp from this welder that is just sitting in my shop.

If anyone has any idea how or why that hoes melted, please let me know. I don't want to spend the money to fix this bad boy just to find out that it was junk in the first place.

And because I suck at explaining stuff, here are the pictures.

Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2004, 12:07 PM #2
OriginalRebel
Banned

It's probably junk, why would someone just let it be torn up?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:15 PM #3
Kyle Malaspino

Half the tools in my shop were once to be thrown away as junk and now they work perfectly fine.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:39 PM #4
Python15 (Banned)

There's a difference between a welder and a drill. I would recommend you just abandon the idea of "refurbishing" the orphan. If your drill breaks, it just gets a short circuit and shoots sparks from the vents for a second. If this welder ****s up, you could get the a nice toasty 220 volts at about 70 amps blast through you. Now take my word, it ain't worth it.

Go buy yourself a new, or used welder from the local shop that you know works. It's just smarter.