Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 01-02-2017, 04:56 PM #1
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends X
John is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Exclamation What are you doing to get better at paintball? The January Project

Do you want to get better at paintball? Lots of people want to, but what are you actually doing to get better? Last year Benjamin Carroll decided he was going to get better at paintball and worked at it every single day in January. Then at the end of the month, he won one of the most expensive paintball guns in paintball - a Twister CS1. So this year, Benny wanted to help inspire and push you too. Be part of the The January Project by setting your own goals and then crushing them.

So what are you going to do for your own personal January Project?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j69uA-hctCo

Want to see more FREE paintball videos? - The best way to get more is to LIKE on Youtube and also subscribe!

What is The January Project?

In 2016 Ben Carroll (featured in the above video) played every day of January. A week later he won a Twister CS1 in a one on one tournament. Since then he has gone on to have a successful season with the New York Outlaws, winning the 2016 Nashville Open, getting to travel to Colombia as a guest on Cali Paintball and many other events and adventures.

He attributes that success and enjoyment through a philosophy of admiring paintball as a valid path of human potential. He says when you look at it through that lens you see beyond the wins and the losses, you see that somehow, in someway everything is working to catalyze your highest evolution. In that theory he believes heart and hustle can get you forward quite fast.

“Not a lot of other people want to grow as bad as they want to win. When you focus on growth you transcend the highs and lows of winning and losing. The fear of losing, the fear of going into those uncomfortable places that you’re not good at, all dissipates. Your character starts to grow fond of going into what is uncomfortable until it is comfortable. That path takes you far, fast. But you have to fall in love with missing. Losing. Failing. When you do, you grow. And the funny thing? It seems like it’s the backdoor to getting what we all want. The elation of the win, but it’s done in a healthy way. One that helps you enjoy the whole process.”

This year, he is at it again, although this time, he is inviting you to join him on the journey. Setting the tone early and often is a very important principle to Ben. He believes showing up to practice early, stretching, preparing mentally, doing those little things early and often, sets the tone for the whole day. He calls those things “Inches”. Those little things that are easy to do, and easy not to do.

He says, “You’ll get a lot more from the time you have on and off the field. You only have one maybe two days on the field per week. If you just start hustling a little smarter, doing those little things early and often, you’ll get a lot more out of the time you already spend at the field. When you do this, you grow a lot faster. Imagine you get just 10% more out of your day, week in and week out. At the end of the season, that adds up, and can be the difference between Sunday or getting knocked out early.”

This year, he wants to set the tone early. He’s doing the January Project again, and is inviting you to join him.

—— Welcome, Ben.

Q - How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpb03
This is a 31 day challenge to give yourself the gift of preparation in 2017.

Pick one thing that you want to do every day in January. If you see this January 5th, just start it that day or the next. Then do the project through February 6th.

If you fall off, and miss a day or two. Just recommit and go forward. Avoid beating yourself up, discipline is a step by step process of recommitment. We will inevitably falter until our resolve becomes bold enough and strong enough that the journey has taken root, and the long game come into focus.

I missed a day last year. It taught me a lot about myself and about commitment. Ironically when I just recommitted it helped me more than it hurt me. It actually added to the project lol.

So take that philosophy, let your enthusiasm fuel a commitment. Then everyday recommit. If you slip? Breath deep, recommit and begin again.

That is the path to mastery. Just keep moving forward.

Handle business young king.

TIP - Try to pick something you could see yourself doing everyday or quite often, beyond the project.

Options: Running, yoga, Movement Practices, Martial Arts, whatever it is, whether it’s a physical class, a video from youtube or a mix of your own stuff…

Do it everyday. And if you want to switch it up or change it, go for it, just make sure you continue to do SOMETHING, everyday.

Then, add drilling and playing whenever you can, say every Wednesday night.
John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2017, 05:01 PM #2
teshawnsb
keep shooting....

plays in the NXL
teshawnsb plays in the APPA D3 division
teshawnsb supports Empire
Love the idea. It's a good outlet for those that need it. I've watched Benny grind at this and at the time I didn't know what it was for, but the whole process was fun. It definitely made me want to start my own thing. I have something similar to this coming soon! Benny's the real deal, some one I brainstorm with a lot, take my word for it! Get inspired to work hard! Awesome post John
Vforce
Under Armour
Outlaw Paintball
Paintball Fit

mypblife.com *Follow my journey*
teshawnsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:28 PM #3
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

plays in the NXL
firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
firefoxx04 supports Ninja Paintball

Colors Paintball Fremont, Michigan
CRU Paintball Flint, Michigan
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:34 PM #4
MU WISCOBALLER

Annual Supporting Member
MU WISCOBALLER is BST Legit
MU WISCOBALLER supports Team VICIOUS
MU WISCOBALLER is an NCPA player
MU WISCOBALLER plays in the APPA D5 division
MU WISCOBALLER has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
MU WISCOBALLER supports Ninja Paintball
Enrolled in BKi.

Gym membership: 3-4 times a week working out

Eating better: Calorie counting with emphasis on nutrition.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:59 PM #5
Somnambulistz
Should I Fake My Orgasms?

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Somnambulistz supports Ninja Paintball
My new years resolution is to make fun of people who need a rotation of the earth around the sun to come up with something to better their lives.

Ya know the world needs ditch diggers.....

LIVERPOOL FC

"Well, don't want to sound like a d*ck or nothin', but, ah... it says on your chart that you're f**ked up. Ah, you talk like a f*g, and your sh*t's all retarded." idiocracy (movie)

Last edited by Somnambulistz : 01-02-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Somnambulistz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:57 PM #6
ThatGuy86

ThatGuy86 plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnambulistz View Post
My new years resolution is to make fun of people who need a rotation of the earth around the sun to come up with something to better their lives.

You can't really fault people for trying to improve themselves, even if it takes the start of a "new year" to motivate someone.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:41 PM #7
SpinE
AlcoholicBeverageHandler

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
SpinE has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SpinE supports Shocker RSX
SpinE supports Ninja Paintball
Saw them filming this weekend, looks cool.
SpinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 AM #8
Shocker_Monkey
KCPP

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends X
Shocker_Monkey supports Ninja Paintball
Very cool. Conceptually pretty simple. Work a little bit every day and you'll see improvement. I think motivation is where a lot of people falter, myself included.

I find I have the desire to better myself but I'm better at making excuses than I am at motivating myself. Which is obviously something that I need to work on first.

=======WISCONSIN NAVARONE=======
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:02 AM #9
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
I think lots of people WANT to improve and even know WHAT they could improve on. This hopefully gives some people the motivation to actually DO something.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 AM #10
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy86 View Post
You can't really fault people for trying to improve themselves, even if it takes the start of a "new year" to motivate someone.
people online love acting superior
Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 AM #11
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

plays in the NXL
firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
firefoxx04 supports Ninja Paintball
This entire thing has nothing to do with a new years resolution.. its simply about kickstarting the year NOW instead of after the first event when it is too late. There is no off season for people who want to win. Ill be at practice on Sunday and in the Gym all week after work. All it takes is a little motivation.

Colors Paintball Fremont, Michigan
CRU Paintball Flint, Michigan
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:47 PM #12
benpb03

benpb03 is a Professional paintball player
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshawnsb View Post
Love the idea. It's a good outlet for those that need it. I've watched Benny grind at this and at the time I didn't know what it was for, but the whole process was fun. It definitely made me want to start my own thing. I have something similar to this coming soon! Benny's the real deal, some one I brainstorm with a lot, take my word for it! Get inspired to work hard! Awesome post John
Thanks brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU WISCOBALLER View Post
Enrolled in BKi.

Gym membership: 3-4 times a week working out

Eating better: Calorie counting with emphasis on nutrition.
Fantastic man, I really appreciate your dedication. BKI is an amazing platform, Grayson has done a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnambulistz View Post

I appreciate your passion. The cycles of the world are helpful. Just like day turns to night to remind us to sleep. When winter comes around it's a reminder to explore ourselves at our roots so when the spring returns the contemplation has been done and action can be taken.

The january project is about contemplating our inefficiencies, and restructuring our training and programming to be more effective when spring comes.

You know, dig a grave for the old you, be reborn in the digging.

P.S. Funny parallel, one of our friends passed away a few years. We started a 5k in his honor and it's since become a nonprofit that does great work with heart patients. His name was Evan.

I wore a "LIVE FOR EVAN" shirt throughout the whole january project last year and was wearing it when I won the Cs1.

His favorite song was Gravedigger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnmAiH6BLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker_Monkey View Post
Very cool. Conceptually pretty simple. Work a little bit every day and you'll see improvement. I think motivation is where a lot of people falter, myself included.

I find I have the desire to better myself but I'm better at making excuses than I am at motivating myself. Which is obviously something that I need to work on first.
Just keep moving forward. You're doing a great job. Don't work on anything, just start doing it. And if you stop, just start again ; ) Hit me up bro, I can help you, motivation is a funny thing that arises when you're frustrated and sustains because you find joy and value in the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I think lots of people WANT to improve and even know WHAT they could improve on. This hopefully gives some people the motivation to actually DO something.
Let's do something! Together : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxx04 View Post
This entire thing has nothing to do with a new years resolution.. its simply about kickstarting the year NOW instead of after the first event when it is too late. There is no off season for people who want to win. Ill be at practice on Sunday and in the Gym all week after work. All it takes is a little motivation.
Yes, it's as simple as hey, it's January 3rd. There's approximately 10 weeks before the first event starts to dawn. Time moves quick, let's get going on this now so you are happy about it later.

Like I say in the project, "It's fun to be prepared."

My dad has a great saying for this... In all his simplicity, lies great depth.

"Preparation solves all problems and cures all doubts"

Namaste moving forward gentlemen.

January Project Official Link

ArtofPaintball
benpb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:45 PM #13
teshawnsb
keep shooting....

plays in the NXL
teshawnsb plays in the APPA D3 division
teshawnsb supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxx04 View Post
this guy gets it!
Vforce
Under Armour
Outlaw Paintball
Paintball Fit

mypblife.com *Follow my journey*
teshawnsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:57 PM #14
OfficialSamuel
SAMMY

Annual Supporting Member
OfficialSamuel is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
OfficialSamuel supports DLX Technology
OfficialSamuel supports Shocker RSX
OfficialSamuel supports Ninja Paintball
Always preparing before and getting smart and stronger at my weaknesses is the Main Goal before the first event... getting so field time whatever it should be. Little details will help later on.
OfficialSamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:54 PM #15
JohnSherman

JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Oh yes, I'm sure that Carroll won that CS1 because of that month of self-improvement, and not the decade of experience he had prior to it.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:09 PM #16
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
Oh yes, I'm sure that Carroll won that CS1 because of that month of self-improvement, and not the decade of experience he had prior to it.
He won it because of dedication to constant self-improvement.

Warzone Facebook
JeSSoP

RIP Ronnie, Paul
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM #17
JohnSherman

JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
He won it because of dedication to constant self-improvement.
That's exactly what I'm saying. The OP is structured to suggest that the month of dedication is what won it for him, which is obviously ****ing bogus. You need to put work in to get better, this isn't a novel concept. Anyone who needs some ****ty paintball covenant in order to get motivated isn't going anywhere.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:19 PM #18
Systemreborn

Systemreborn is playing at Living Legends IX
Systemreborn plays in the APPA D4 division
Systemreborn has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Systemreborn supports Ninja Paintball
I switched my workouts from lifting heavy to high volume and added some paintball related exercises. I'd say the most beneficial has been sled pulls, i've already seen a difference in my breakout speed.
Systemreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM #19
TheFinest
The Man

plays in the NXL 2
TheFinest plays in the APPA D4 division
TheFinest supports Shocker RSX
TheFinest supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm saying. The OP is structured to suggest that the month of dedication is what won it for him, which is obviously ****ing bogus. You need to put work in to get better, this isn't a novel concept. Anyone who needs some ****ty paintball covenant in order to get motivated isn't going anywhere.
What youre saying is like why bodybuilders putting their workouts on youtube or online and showing what they do and what they eat. Why do they do that if all you need to do is get yourself to the gym and eat properly? It is purely psychological. Seeing someone achieve greatness triggers (at least some people) our body to be like he did that, I can do that or I want to try that or I need to better myself. If you think like that then it becomes a process. Where do I start? How do I get there? What did they do? and it goes on and on. The whole point of people doing this types of things is to get your mind focused. Some people use it their advantage, some don't.

And he won that a long time ago by the way. This video was just posted, I believe the 1v1 was last February/March.

Shocker Paintball
Paintball Wizard
GI Sportz
TheFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:43 PM #20
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm saying. The OP is structured to suggest that the month of dedication is what won it for him, which is obviously <del>****</del>ing bogus.
So you're 100% sure he would have still won if he hadn't spent a month preparing?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:48 PM #21
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
I stopped taking things so seriously. It didn't make me better at paintball, it made paintball better for me.

BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.