Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM #1
Alexander Torres N

Getting X7 Phenom, need recommendations for upgrades

This would be the first paintball gun I personally buy for me, I really like the X7 Phenom and have decided to go with it, but I would just like to know what are the best upgrades, I've read a lots of recommendations but they are about a year or two ago and haven't been updated, so I just want to know the best upgrades for it.

Here are the upgrades I'm thinking in possibly buying:
First is TechT Paintball Pro Series MRT Bolt since I've seen this on mostly all recommendations on every forum.

Another thing that is what I need help with is what barrel to buy for my X7 and if possible I need it to be compatible with freak insert since I hear it is also very good and need it to be 16+ inches, I dont really mind if it increases either accuracy or range as long as it 16+ and cost less than 70 dollars

Other than the bolt and barrel what other good upgrades do you guys recommend?
Alexander Torres N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2014, 03:55 PM #2
CuLane

CuLane owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CuLane owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CuLane has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Nothing freak bored increases accuracy or range more than anything else freak bored. The freak inserts themselves control the vast majority of "accuracy" which is actually consistency in this case. Range is simple,chrono your marker to 280 feet per second. A paintball travelling 280 fps will go as far as it will go regardless of barrel. Unless you have an Apex or a Flatline that puts a significant backspin on the ball, then you'll get a bit more range.
As far as freak barrels go, there is the Freak barrel itself, or Deadly Wind. Either way $70 won't get you many inserts with your barrel, but it'll get you a few options and upgrading to more barrel inserts will be cheaper than buying different backs for a CP barrel for instance (even though I prefer CP barrels to Freaks).
CuLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM #3
Alexander Torres N

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuLane View Post
Nothing freak bored increases accuracy or range more than anything else freak bored. The freak inserts themselves control the vast majority of "accuracy" which is actually consistency in this case. Range is simple,chrono your marker to 280 feet per second. A paintball travelling 280 fps will go as far as it will go regardless of barrel. Unless you have an Apex or a Flatline that puts a significant backspin on the ball, then you'll get a bit more range.
As far as freak barrels go, there is the Freak barrel itself, or Deadly Wind. Either way $70 won't get you many inserts with your barrel, but it'll get you a few options and upgrading to more barrel inserts will be cheaper than buying different backs for a CP barrel for instance (even though I prefer CP barrels to Freaks).
So the Apex increases range? I thought it was bad and didn't do anything, so should I get a deadly wind, apex or the CP barrels? I personally prefer accuracy.

Also which tank should I get? Where I live it's very very hot about 98F everyday and the sun burns you
Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM #4
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Torres N View Post
So the Apex increases range? I thought it was bad and didn't do anything, so should I get a deadly wind, apex or the CP barrels? I personally prefer accuracy.

Also which tank should I get? Where I live it's very very hot about 98F everyday and the sun burns you
The APEX2 puts a backspin on the ball. (Look up Magnus Effect for a complete understanding of what this does.)

In a nutshell, the backspin generates lift and allows you to shoot a paintball the same distance without having the big arching tragectory. Think about shooting in the woods and when you aim your marker to hit a distant target the ball has to travel up into the trees and breaks on a branch. Now you lower your aim to avoid that and the ball only goes half way to the target. A ball with a backspin could make that shot because it doesn't have to arch into the trees to reach the target.

In addition, the backspin improves the aerodynamics of the ball slightly giving it a little bit more effective range. It isn't huge like the First Strike round, but it is a slight improvement.

I have an APEX2 tip that I just played with for the first time and I can't say with certainty whether or not I like it. More to follow when I've tested it ot my satisfaction. Does it work? Yes. Is it consistant? This is what I need to further test.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:56 PM #5
p8ntballr68059
SOG Leprechaun Post Whore

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
best upgrade you can get for that or any gun is paint and time with the marker
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Luxe,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:09 AM #6
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
Get used to the marker before throwing worthless upgrade on it.
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
***ONE OF A KIND G6R***
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:15 AM #7
MangoPhett

Barrels dont increase accuracy.
#2sexeh4u
MangoPhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:45 PM #8
Alexander Torres N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
The APEX2 puts a backspin on the ball. (Look up Magnus Effect for a complete understanding of what this does.)

In a nutshell, the backspin generates lift and allows you to shoot a paintball the same distance without having the big arching tragectory. Think about shooting in the woods and when you aim your marker to hit a distant target the ball has to travel up into the trees and breaks on a branch. Now you lower your aim to avoid that and the ball only goes half way to the target. A ball with a backspin could make that shot because it doesn't have to arch into the trees to reach the target.

In addition, the backspin improves the aerodynamics of the ball slightly giving it a little bit more effective range. It isn't huge like the First Strike round, but it is a slight improvement.

I have an APEX2 tip that I just played with for the first time and I can't say with certainty whether or not I like it. More to follow when I've tested it ot my satisfaction. Does it work? Yes. Is it consistant? This is what I need to further test.
What other barrel increases the backspin that isn't the apex, and I saw that the freak inserts are no good for the x7 phenom and the best choice would be ifit
Old 07-03-2014, 01:55 PM #9
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
What other barrel increases the backspin that isn't the apex, and I saw that the freak inserts are no good for the x7 phenom and the best choice would be ifit
The other backspin option is the Flatline barrel, but in my experience the Apex is a better system in every way.
The Apex is more versatile, far easier to clean or remove, and is less picky about the kinds of paint it uses.

Why is it that you think the freak system wouldn't work on a Phenom?

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM #10
p8ntballr68059
SOG Leprechaun Post Whore

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
why would a freak kit not work on a phenom and the ifit would. they do the same basic thing. the freak kit is a proven barrel for years the ifit i have seen no significant results that it is even worth the money. i gave mine away and i have kept my freak for years now. plus with the freak kit you can buy an apex tip that would be much better for the tippmann than the flatline. you can't match paint to bore with the huge flatline barrel system.
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Luxe,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 AM #11
Acurtis87

Acurtis87 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Play with the marker. Learn the marker. Have fun. Then you can decide weather you want to throw random upgrades into a tippman (god knows why) or upgrade your gun entirely.
Acurtis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:56 AM #12
PhillGuy

PhillGuy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PhillGuy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acurtis87 View Post
Play with the marker. Learn the marker. Have fun. Then you can decide weather you want to throw random upgrades into a tippman (god knows why) or upgrade your gun entirely.
I agree fully with Acurtis. Try it out first. This way went you do upgrade things you can really see the difference (good or bad). The Phenom can be very fickle with upgrades and changing things even though they should be for the better don't always go that way.

That being said I think a safe bet is a new barrel. The Deadly Wind is a great option, you can build up your Freak inserts over time. You can start with a 687 or 689. Defiantly don't bother with the the Flatline, I found it to be a paint blender. The Apex is fun but it's really just a gimmick.

One of the best Upgrades I did was I found a guy who reprograms the board, basically removing the three shot safety. True full auto really frees up this marker making better able to keep up with fancier guns.
PhillGuy is offline   Reply With Quote