PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-19-2004, 09:51 AM #1
Takon

has been a member for 10 years
SystemX and WGP in possible legal battle?

Since WGP is supposedly sueing companies for stealing "intelectual property" does anyone think SystemX and Xtreme is the target of this?
20oz CO2/45ci 3000PSI
Too many mods on Imagine to list
Troubleshooting 101
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2004, 09:16 AM #2
step

i have been thinking about this, i don't think so. back in the day the AKALMP Revenge came out WGP tried to go after them. the judge threw it out of court. i can't remember why - i have tried looking it up and have yet to find it. basically it was that WGP was saying that the two guns operated similar so it gave them all the rights, i believe the judge was like "dude, if that is true cars operate in the same capacity and look very similar, yet they are different" (that was not what he really said but close). i think the WGP lawsuit will focus on the small custom shops like freeflow and those type of places. g3pb uses AKALMP bodies i think, so they should be unaffected.

but then again i might be wrong. i am not worried about a lawsuit yet because for one thing there has already been a precedent set with teh first suit being tossed out. we will have to wait and see.

i think i just short stroked in my pants
Old 05-20-2004, 09:35 AM #3
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
Conqueror supports our troops
Re: SystemX and WGP in possible legal battle?

Quote:
Originally posted by Takon
Since WGP is supposedly sueing companies for stealing "intelectual property" does anyone think SystemX and Xtreme is the target of this?
WGP only sued splatt attack for that, and WGP lost, meaning they have no case against anyone else. And anyway, that was back in like 1999, so what rock have you been hiding under?

CQ
Old 05-21-2004, 07:11 AM #4
step

he might be new to the sport, back in the day that was like the first big lawsuit in paintball - that i remember and i have been playing ball since 1992. some events wouldn't let the company come a vendors because of it. that was a long time ago - man i am getting old.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:25 AM #5
dye-playa
Drunken Balla

dye-playa is a Supporting Member
Re: Re: SystemX and WGP in possible legal battle?

Quote:
Originally posted by Conqueror
WGP only sued splatt attack for that, and WGP lost, meaning they have no case against anyone else. And anyway, that was back in like 1999, so what rock have you been hiding under?

CQ
i think he is talkin about this: K2 enforces auto cocker...

so that was not back in 99!!
Old 06-07-2004, 04:56 PM #6
Conqueror

Conqueror is a Moderator
Legal precedents have been set that will make it very difficult for K2/WGP to win any serious battles in court. The courts have already upheld the right of other companies to make "knockoff" products so long as they are different enough to not infringe on the patent. WGP's intellectual rights only extend to the name "autococker" and "cocker", so other companies can't use the trademarked names. However, WGP's Trade Dress suit against Splatt Attack lost, so WGP can't sue just because it "looks" or "functions" like an autococker.

CQ
Old 06-14-2004, 06:57 PM #7
Dye_paintballer89
BIA HOEZ

WGP IS SUEING COMPANIES THAT MAKE "KNOCK-OFF" or replicas of WGP guns that work on the exact same gas system which the gun runs it cycle through
Old 06-14-2004, 10:20 PM #8
Indecision
Monster Trucks

alright, most of these posts seem to be before the AM suit and some of the other announcements. System X and alot of other companies will be sued. and will lose. I think this is part of the reason Sys X is pushing the NME so hard, They NEED it to come out so they have a flagship marker that isnt a (cocker) rip off. This way when they cease production of the "cockers". Ya, sys x is for sure next

eblade fund: $6 pm me to donate (seriously send like 32 cents for the fun of it
Help me raise money: For Sale
nexus kit fund: $0 same as above
My Feedback
Old 06-14-2004, 11:09 PM #9
Conqueror

Conqueror is a Moderator
There hasn't even been an AM "suit", just a cease-and-desist letter with which they complied. However, the concensus among people who know a lot more than most of you about this is that AM should have fought and that K2 has no real case.

Don't run your mouths unless you know the meanings of terms like "legal precedent", "trade-dress", "public domain", and "court jurisdiction".

CQ
Old 06-15-2004, 06:17 AM #10
step

amen conqueror!!!

Old 06-26-2004, 07:44 PM #11
Trance.Evil
hide your girlfriend

yeah, don't talk amongst yourselves or ask questions! Reamain ignorant and you will defy the world!

way to incourage education, growth and uphold an idea of being a role model as a moderator, Conqueror!

Winners don't try, winner's get the job done then go home and f*** the prom queen

My Feedback
Old 06-26-2004, 10:47 PM #12
Conqueror

Conqueror is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally posted by Trance.Evil
yeah, don't talk amongst yourselves or ask questions! Reamain ignorant and you will defy the world!

way to incourage education, growth and uphold an idea of being a role model as a moderator, Conqueror!
There is a gigantic difference between asking a question and spreading a rumor. The only person who asked a question was the original thread starter. Almost everyone else who posted did not ask a question, and they were not trying to "get educated" - they were trying to "educate" someone else - with faulty information. No one was discussing it either - simply proffering up their own incorrect opinions on the subject without any subsequent discussion of their points.

If you think I'm opposed to intellectual discussions, you obviously do not know me very well and have not read many of my posts in the past. In light of that glaring fact, I suggest you do some research of your own before you presume to talk about my abilities as a role model (which mean precisely squat on the internet anyway), especially when your own post about wanting more "education" and "growth" is so rife with spelling and grammar errors.

Thanks for your time though. I'm glad you took the time to read the whole - oh wait, no you didn't do your homework before planting your foot in your mouth. My mistake.

CQ
Old 06-27-2004, 03:55 PM #13
step

i must say since Action Markers is giving k2 the virtual finger i believe system x has nothing to worry about. i would bet that k2 will move on to some other companies but every step will be harder and harder as more companies stand up to them.

Old 06-27-2004, 05:34 PM #14
Indecision
Monster Trucks

ok, im tired of people correcting me for using the wrong legal terms... im sorry. Ill use the right ones from now on. The average PBN member however uses suit/sue etc. in place of other legal terminology. So, i do the same to make my posts simpler to read.

I do love you.. er love to hate you conquerer

eblade fund: $6 pm me to donate (seriously send like 32 cents for the fun of it
Help me raise money: For Sale
nexus kit fund: $0 same as above
My Feedback
Old 06-27-2004, 09:18 PM #15
Conqueror

Conqueror is a Moderator
Well, the devil is in the details. Using the wrong term for "convenience" is what leads to massive public disinformation, which is why most people have no clue what's actually going on with WGP.

And for a look at the "average PBN member", go check out Small Talk - not exactly the type of people from whom you'd want to get your news (for the most part).

CQ
Old 07-04-2004, 09:12 PM #16
Dye_paintballer89
BIA HOEZ

WHAT DO YOU MEAN PUSH THE NME SO HARD THEY'VE ONLY PUT OUT MAGAZINE ADS AND FEW BANNERS LAST I CHECKED THE WEBSITE HAS NOTHING ABOUT THE NME ON IT!
Old 07-05-2004, 06:03 AM #17
shaba

Man this is all kinda retarded.... :sigh:
Timmy=Spyder knock off
Matrix= Nova knock off

Ne ways I think system X is great..... They took a good product and made it even better for a cheaper price... WTH is wrong with that....

1 more thing about the NME Rep at system X said that all the testing is done on the gun there just waiting on the boards for it......
That is all
Old 08-11-2004, 06:06 PM #18
oz-69
THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

If they were gonna sue anbody why not go after dragun and psycho ballistics? sys X is a bigger variant then the gun these companys make, at least they changed positioning of the reg on the front block and got rid of a little extra space, the dragunfly, dralion and pyschob lightnings look almost identica1 and I think the dralion and lightning are like 100% compatable with WGP.

feedback links:

Old 10-03-2004, 07:04 PM #19
Cocky-X

It has come to my knowledge that WGP may have taken legal actions to Sys X regarding the Xonik - Eclipse kits. WGP lost. This was a cause of the inner pieces in the Xonik had some form of different electronics providing information that Sys X may have a cocker look-a-like yet it is different on the inside.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:42 PM #20
hammered
Making the Stickers

Quote:
Originally posted by Conqueror
Legal precedents have been set that will make it very difficult for K2/WGP to win any serious battles in court. The courts have already upheld the right of other companies to make "knockoff" products so long as they are different enough to not infringe on the patent. WGP's intellectual rights only extend to the name "autococker" and "cocker", so other companies can't use the trademarked names. However, WGP's Trade Dress suit against Splatt Attack lost, so WGP can't sue just because it "looks" or "functions" like an autococker.

CQ

There isnt a patent held on the "auto cocking" system as we know it. Glen Palmer even came out to call Mr. Orr out on this and all the suit threats. Trademarks and copy rights are all that can be defended.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:50 PM #21
Conqueror

Conqueror is a Moderator
I know...?

CQ