PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-20-2004, 06:58 AM #22
Eyecare

Eyecare is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Somehow I don't think being a teenager with an interest in science and Hitler (among other things) makes one an expert in patents and patent laws. This being said, Ydna puts forward a well written summary of his position on the SP patent issue. Whether SP is right or wrong in pursing their actions against other companies is irrelevant. To date, they have managed to make every company they filed patent infringement suits against settle with them. As we see so often in the American judicial system this may partially be a factor of having a deeper pocktbook with which to hire better lawyers. But this is speculation as well.

The bottom line though is that people will tend to believe what they want to believe. We can argue ad infinitum about the rights and wrongs of SPs actions but it will change very few people's beliefs on this matter.

Pics of my guns

Doc's SP Patent FAQ and related article
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2004, 10:51 AM #23
seemlessstate
Resident Beekeeper

seemlessstate owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
seemlessstate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
seemlessstate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Old 05-20-2004, 11:15 AM #24
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
Ydna is BST Trusted
Eyecare, I agree. I am simply trying to put the other view out there, because I haven't seen it anywhere before.

I can't tell if you're trying to insult me or not with the teenager refrence...but if you are, please don't do it again. An interest in science is the understatement of the year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eyecare
We can argue ad infinitum about the rights and wrongs of SPs actions but it will change very few people's beliefs on this matter.
No one should assume I'm trying to change any opinions. But I feel that, in order to pass judgement, you need to know the facts.
However, as it is, it appears that I have menaged to rather directly change at least one person's opinion, so be it.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".

Last edited by Ydna : 05-20-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:44 PM #25
cliffg8
Geeezer CPPA #1643

cliffg8 is a Supporting Member
What everyone needs to do is go back and look at the patent of the radio. Marconi was granted the patient but Tesla (sp) was the first to invent it and use the technology. The patent granted to Marconi was later removed and granted to Tesla. Just because a patent was granted doesn't mean it will remain in force. What needs to be done is for someone to go to the patient office and show that the patient granted to SP was covered by a previous patient. This is what happened in the Marconi vs Tesla case.

Last edited by cliffg8 : 05-20-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:21 PM #26
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
If it happens, then so be it.

But whether or not it happens is contingent on the opinion of the commission deciding it, not yours or mine.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Old 05-20-2004, 05:27 PM #27
koolcocker25
Banned

Quote:
The only thing that stops growing as a result of Smart Parts are those which are directly affected by them. But just because they receive royalities from a product does not mean anything will stop growing. Instead, the consumer of said product will see an increase in cost. If you wish to tote about in some dream world and think prices of paintball equipment will stay the same indefinately, you're wrong. But high prices do not equal no growth.
Actually AKA cannot make vikings and excaliburs so not only do the prices go up while they are still in stock you will never see a new viking or excalibur. Which totally ****s that statement
Old 05-20-2004, 05:32 PM #28
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
Too ****ing bad. I could care less. It's not like the Smart Parts police are going to come to your door and steal your guns from you. If you want one, then buy it used. If you want one new, then I'm sorry. Such is my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

But really, did I say anything in that paragraph about gun's being discontinued? If you had read further you would have seen the part about why those two guns are no longer made, and how it is a completely different issue. Thanks for being informed.

As told by Stobaeus
Old 05-21-2004, 08:53 AM #29
cliffg8
Geeezer CPPA #1643

Ydna,
It seems you are supporting SP no matter what they do or how they do it. The fact that they would even try to enforce a patent that they know is superceded by other work proves that they are unethical. That in my view is enough to change my view of the company. Do I use their products? Yes. Will I ever buy their products new? NO!!!!. In this way I can use their product and not support them directly with my business.
The reason there will be no more Vikings or Excaliburs is because AKA refused to be bullied into paying SP for something that is not theirs.
I'm sure in the end when enough information and letters are sent to the patent office they will review the SP patient.
What the paintball community needs to do is write the patient office with a complaint about the SP patient. Be sure to reference the Navy patient.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:44 PM #30
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
Whether or not it is unethical is just our opinion. The same thing goes for how its interperated by the commission. Obviously you think theit patent is too broad and they are unethical...I disagree. It's as simple as that.

You call it bullied, I call it peacefully drawn in to avoid something unwanted, such as the discontining of the guns.

It's all opinion. But whatever the commission decides is fine by me.

As told by Stobaeus
Old 05-21-2004, 04:00 PM #31
cliffg8
Geeezer CPPA #1643

Quote:
Originally posted by Ydna
Whether or not it is unethical is just our opinion. The same thing goes for how its interperated by the commission. Obviously you think theit patent is too broad and they are unethical...I disagree. It's as simple as that.

You call it bullied, I call it peacefully drawn in to avoid something unwanted, such as the discontining of the guns.

It's all opinion. But whatever the commission decides is fine by me.

NO ethics is not an opinion. How would doctors or accountants be able to take an oath that says they will do nothing unethcal. What you are saying is that YOU don't believe in ETHICS.
You will do what you want no matter what happens to others.
That is the problem with corporations lately. They don't care about ethics. They will say they made this much money and even make up documents to support their claims. Such as Enron.

END of discussion.
I will not comment further.
I have turned notification of changes to this thread off.

Last edited by cliffg8 : 05-21-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:17 PM #32
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
I don't like to make personal comments, but that is the most neive train of thought I've seen in years. How increadibly arrogant of you. Who the hell do you think you are? I don't give a **** what you might happen to say is unethical. If you can't understand that somebody may have different standard for what is ethical and what isn't, then this truely is the end of the discussion.

Realize that people have different ideas than yours.

You might also like to know that Doctors don't take an oath to do nothing unethical. Nice try. You're thinking of the hyppocratic oath, which dictates that they do harm. If you don't know the difference then I'm sorry. Again, this is because everyone may have a different thoughts on what is ethical. No one can dispute whether or not something is harmful, unless the person in mention is lying about it.

Thank you very much for running from the debate. It's a very good way of proving to everyone you're right and that's the end of the story. Tool.

As told by Stobaeus

Last edited by Ydna : 05-21-2004 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:23 PM #33
GibsonSG

Quote:
Originally posted by cliffg8
NO ethics is not an opinion. How would doctors or accountants be able to take an oath that says they will do nothing unethcal. What you are saying is that YOU don't believe in ETHICS.
You will do what you want no matter what happens to others.
That is the problem with corporations lately. They don't care about ethics. They will say they made this much money and even make up documents to support their claims. Such as Enron.

END of discussion.
I will not comment further.
I have turned notification of changes to this thread off.
Are you retard? I really think so. Ethics merely opinions. You may say "oh SP ruined paintball" and many would agree. However others would say what they did was ethical and AKA's arrogance was unethical. Ethics are essentiallly morals and philosphers have been debating since the dawn of time who can decide what "morality" is. I highly doubt you have found the answer. Corporations and ethics is like miracle whip and choclate, they just don't go together. Don't even get me started on ethical corporations, you will find FEW, if any.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:28 AM #34
Eyecare

Eyecare is a Supporting Member
Let's leave personal insults out of this posts. There are irrelevant to the matter at hand and add nothing towards supporting your arguments.

If anyone's bothered to read Ydna's website you'll find more detailed information there on SP products than just about anywhere else. Just because many of us don't support SP's position doesn't necessarily mean that Ydna deserves contempt. He's entitled to post his position on this just as we all are - he just supports it with more facts and presents it more eloquently than most.

Pics of my guns

Doc's SP Patent FAQ and related article
Old 05-22-2004, 08:36 PM #35
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
it is very nice to see a reasonable, objective opinion. That kind, your kind, is the kind of opinion I can most definately respect.

As told by Stobaeus
Old 05-23-2004, 01:33 AM #36
Elusa
ICD Crusader

wow....

although i do think a lot of what hes saying is true, i absolutely despise people like him... if youre gonna try to act like ur smart over the internet, at least spell stuff right.... i mean seriously some of the typos in there were ridiculous....

circca ~ circa
villainous ~ villainous
necessarially ~ necessarily
villianizing ~ villanizing ~ 2 times
supposidely ~ supposedly
neive ~ naive
oppertunitistic ~ opportunistic
loose ~ lose ~ 2 times
competation ~ competition

Lot more typos but i just put the really ridiculously stupid ones...

to whoever wrote the article.... do us all a favor and LEARN HOW TO SPELL!!

Looking to trade this plus cash for a Freestyle if possible. IM or PM me if interested.

AIM: BB9077

Thread: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=634015
Old 05-23-2004, 02:12 AM #37
GibsonSG

What's worse then smart people that can't spell? The annoying people that think spell checking forums proves that they are intelligent. So do us all a favor and go somewhere else. He's not trying to act smart, he simply stated facts and opinions.

By the way, your grammar is wrong. It would be "A lot more typos" and typos isn't a word. So do us a favor and learn how to use your correctly spelled words in the correct manner.

Last edited by GibsonSG : 05-23-2004 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:56 AM #38
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
Wel ecuse me for no performig a spll chck afer wrot it. How the hel wa I suposed t do tht with all te HTL tag in there?

Pehaps I shld go back and chnge the spellig so eery wrd is selt wong. Des hat make me any les smerter?

By the way, I love the spelling and grammital errors in your post. Way to look like you're smarter than me!
hes ur youre gonna stuff whoever
And I spelled villainous correct.
Dumass

As told by Stobaeus

Last edited by Ydna : 05-23-2004 at 11:59 AM.