PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-13-2002, 06:29 PM #1
PowerlyteMan

has been a member for 10 years
Question How to make a silencer?

Does any one know how to make a rebel bottomline barrel into a silencer?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2002, 06:20 PM #2
sorisko

you really cant make it a silencer, and in some states... its illegal... what you can do.. is buy a ported barrel made for a Spyder and it will work on your barrel... a ported barrel has holes on it, making it quieter then the loud stock barrel is... any more questions... i'd be glad to help
Old 02-23-2002, 02:32 PM #3
PbPimp18
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Mine..

My stock barrel came with port holes on it. It had holes at the end of the barrel, those are port holes arent they? I didnt think it was too loud and plus why do you want to make it quiet who really cares about that?

Originall posted by Black Ice 72
"Pain passes, chicks dig skars, glory... lasts forever."
Old 02-23-2002, 06:48 PM #4
spud majic
BR Machine

making a barrel ported helps reduce terbulance behind the ball. but it also makes it quieter and this is nice usually only when you play games where stealth would help. something like speedball it wouldnt really be as much of an advantage noise wise. a scilencer would be too bulky. if you want a very quiet barrel all the smart parts ones are probably about the quietest ones i have ever seen
www.geocities.com/brmachineco
Old 03-06-2002, 11:58 AM #5
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile

SynTek is a Supporting Member
I do know a surefire way to make a silencer that I know works. I made one for my PGP2 just for scenario games and rec ball, and it reduces the noise 50-75%! Basically what you need to do is have a barrel with no Muzzle Break (harder to make a silencer if it has one). Then you need to measure fairly exanctly how wide your barrel is (as in the diameter of the barrel, not the bore) Go to your local hardware store and buy 1 section of PVC that is just a bit bigger bore size than your barrel is wide. Then get a second section at least 1 1/2 inches but you may even be able to go with 2 inch (much heavier that way though, and you don't get many benefits). Then you will need some steel wool, a Drill and some cotton (even if you tear up cotton balls it will work). What you do is cut the small section of PVC about 2-6 inches longer than you want your silencer to be..the extra lenght is where you will slip the silencer over the barrel. Then you want to drill holes in this thing, as many as you can fit that are at least 1/8th inch wide. The more holes the better, but you need to be careful as the more holes the weaker the PVC becomes. Try not to drill holes lower than the barrel begins. Then with your larger PVC, cut a section that is as long as you want the silencer portion to be. Then comes the building of the sound absorber. Essentially what you do is spread out the steel wool so that is wide enough to fit around the inner part of the silencer (with the holes) and long enough that it will fill the length of the outer tube. Then spread cotton evenly across the steel wool. Wrap this around the inner part of the silencer and twist it so it becomes very tight (needed so that you can get all this into the barrel). Place the now cotton/steel wool wrapped inner section into the outer section of the silencer and tape it into place (you can be creative with how you secure it, tape is easiest, but you could use PVC endcaps to seal them, you would just have to cut holes for the paintball to leave from). Then spray paint it to the color of your choice.

Here are some tips.

Longer supressors mean less sound, but more weight. Also if your supressor is too long the ball has an increased chance of breaking before leaving supressor.

There are 2 problems with the supressor. It reduces velocity somewhat, it slightly decreases accuraccy, and it dramatically increases the chances of having a ball break before leaving the barrel. The ball breakage chances go down after the first couple of shots as it cleares the the bore of any stray steel wool and such.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:25 PM #6
SGT BiGGiE

all i did for mine was take a piece of pvc that fit my barrel and was a few inches longer,the took the wider piece put the bottom end cap on drill it so that the thinner piece would go thorugh the cap and out of the nd of the fatter piece,got osme SOS pads,pulled them out and used a thing stick to jam them in the silencer,then took the other end srilled it to fit the thin inside piece and capped and sealed it off,also great for when it is raining out

*note:in some places this may be illegal.check all local and state laws regaurding the use of surpressors,and make at your own risk*