Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-13-2002, 03:54 PM #1
Smakman
Owner: Smak Zone PB

has been a member for 10 years
So what's the problem with full auto?

The insurance companies are clamping down and not allowing full auto. (When ARE we going to stop letting insurance companies dictate to us how we can play, anyway?) I don't own a gun that fires in true full auto myself, though I do have the response trigger in my M98. They tout it as a safety issue, but what exactly IS that issue? If you are wearing the proper equipment, how is full auto any less safe? A hopper will only feed so fast anyway and at least some players I know can out shoot their hopper in semi with the right trigger setup. So my question is, what is the difference in one player with full auto shooting at you, and having two or three players shooting at you in semi? I would raher be taking on that one guy with the full auto. Will the next insurance rule be that only one player at a time can be shooting at another player? Can anyone explain to me what the safety issue is about full auto or do you think is it only a political correctness thing?
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2002, 04:44 PM #2
Hitman
Silent " DEATH"

Full auto

I agree about the insurance companies but do you want to get hit at 13bps from some player that can't control himself and layes on the trigger for 3-4 seconds? This is why the insurance companies are banning full auto. There are alot of players that just can't control their rate of fire, so instead of taking the chance of having more claims with full auto on the fields they are just banning it. It makes sence if you think about it. Besides who needs full auto anyway. Some player that's no good anyway.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:49 PM #3
DuBri
F*** the police

I beleive the skill should be in the player being able to pull the trigger 13 bps or whatever, not the gun doing it for them. And it certainly takes little skill for manufacturers to add full auto to an already electronic gun. Manufacturers need to focus on making triggers have less play, less overtravel and stuff like that, wrather than adding modes so that anyone with a finger can shoot as fast as a loader can load. And yes it is slightly dangerous, if you are bunkering or being bunkered and the guy holds the trigger down for 2 seconds when the situation called for 2 shots your going to be in a lot of pain. And once your able to move the other guy probly will be too.

Pirhana SB DF Nickle plated w/3.5 oz tank

Palmer Squall w/11 inch ported barrel
Old 01-13-2002, 05:03 PM #4
bacon182
KOS Member

play full auto paintball is just not competive
Old 01-13-2002, 05:10 PM #5
Smakman

I can see what you mean about overshooting, but IMO, that's the player's fault, not the gun's. F/A does make it easier to do though.
Just another case of a few jerks ruining it for the rest of us then?
Old 01-13-2002, 05:36 PM #6
HyBriD64
ELITE

The thing about full auto is that it takes out a very important competitive edge from the game. I myself like to have full auto available to play around with but i definitely would not like to see it in tourney ball.
12" Dye Boomstick
Gladiator & Sonic ASA (coming soon)
" Pain is simply weakness leaving the body..."
www.obdo.net Member #392
Old 01-13-2002, 05:46 PM #7
Richy_C
kills people

Yeah, full auto is great, hosing people with out even thinking about it would be awesome. I just can't wait till i have some soccermom sueing my *** for liting up poor johnny with 10 more shots then needed, i mean hey, a little blood never hurt. boy oh boy wouldn't it be great to use that F/A to punch through someones goggles with some liquid CO2. Better yet, why not have the paint knock off the goggles all together, make it easier.

Full auto LEarn to play, don't have the gun play for you.
Old 01-13-2002, 06:02 PM #8
Smakman

Someone who is going to overshoot is going to do it with semi or F/A, it won't matter, though it would easier with F/A/
If your goggles come off for any reason, you probably don't have them on right.
If you don't want F/A, then don't have it. Then when you take out someone who does have it, you can feel just as big as you felt after you made your asinine post.
Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to play with an electro against the kid with a stock M98 because you have an unfair adavantage too. Feel pretty good when you get him out, do you?

Last edited by Smakman : 01-13-2002 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:21 PM #9
Clark

Clark is a Supporting Member
*just shakes his head*Smakman...a overshooting with a gun set to full auto is a helluva lot easier. You go to bunker someone you hold that trigger down for not even a full second and 6 shots will be into the guy. I know when I come around a bunker I only pull the trigger 3 times at the most. It's not a matter of the guy overshooting on purpose it's just that in f/a it's really easy too. I agree with the insurance comapnies with this. In fact as soon as I get the money I'm switching out the Selective fire board for a Semi Only on my Timmy.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:24 PM #10
Python14
One thing that may seem like a stretch is that if a semi trigger malfunctions in any way, it will only fire one paintball, if any. If a trigger set to full-auto malfunctions, there is a possiblity that it could get stuck that way and it'd be shooting paint like theres no tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2002, 10:34 PM #11
Buff 08
There is no substitute

Buff 08 is a Supporting Member
Buff 08 is a founding member
ignore this thread, this is coming from a guy who can only shoot 3 balls per second with an angel
Old 01-13-2002, 10:37 PM #12
HyBriD64
ELITE

Quote:
Originally posted by Python14
One thing that may seem like a stretch is that if a semi trigger malfunctions in any way, it will only fire one paintball, if any. If a trigger set to full-auto malfunctions, there is a possiblity that it could get stuck that way and it'd be shooting paint like theres no tomorrow.
I believe guns with f/a have limits, i know for a fact that it stops after 30 shots on my b2k2. Not to say that would be a very safe situation.
12" Dye Boomstick
Gladiator & Sonic ASA (coming soon)
" Pain is simply weakness leaving the body..."
www.obdo.net Member #392
Old 01-13-2002, 11:37 PM #13
Smakman

Wow, what a bunch of wimps! Are you guys going to go along when the insurance companies tell us we have to limit the ROF to 5/sec too?
Old 01-13-2002, 11:46 PM #14
DuBri
F*** the police

okay about the bunkering thing. With full auto they can take the stance that they were using full auto and it was an accident that they held the trigger down for 2 seconds with the barrel up to the persons side. With semi they will NOT be able to explain why they pulled the trigger 26 times. Yes if they care to overshoot they still can, but they will have zero ways to explain it. And hopefuly they wont be able to pull the trigger at full speed if thats their intention. I never said they should limit the rate of fire. They just oughta make it so as fast as you can pull the trigger is as fast as it shoots. I have played around with full auto, and I feel very disconected from the gun when I do that. It doesnt feel like I'm in control and I do worse, well, because I'm not in control.

Old 01-14-2002, 12:05 AM #15
Kdog5000
Destroyer of dreams

You know this entire argument sounds almost exactly the same as the one pump gun players were making about semi-autos. At the time you did not have to contend with insurance companies, but the arguments that people are making, are almost the same arguments people made 12 years ago. So if history tells us anything, full auto will be legal sometime in the future.

Anyway just something I wanted to point out.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:37 AM #16
Bocasean

I posted a similar question on Warpig about 4 months ago, and I got the same answers. But when I think about it, they make sense. I was thinking that full-auto should be allowed, based on the way in which I use it. I had an AT-85, and I would flip the switch when 4 or 5 guys would walk into my ambush, or when I was covering someone. I used it responsibly, so who are the insurance companies to tell me how to use my gun? I was safer than a lot of the cocky teenagers out there with electros, right? Well, I was and I still am, but it's not just about me. It's about the players out there who can't control themselves. In my case, with the AT, I would only use full-auto in certain instances, but the select fire gave me that option, and I was smart enough to respect it. But many, many people aren't that smart and they don't have a select fire switch....once it's on full-auto, they have to remove the grip to change it. Fat chance during a game....they're gonna bunker people in full-auto, and that's bad news for field owners. Lawsuits hurt field owners, and insurance companies protect the field owners.

Smakman, just because you and I are smart and responsible doesn't mean everyone else is. I mean, do you want the glue-sniffing kid on house arrest to have access to 15bps? Neither do field owners.

Peace

Sean Rutan
UnitedPaintball
www.unitedpaintball.com

By the way, I still use full-auto in casual games. I believe in policing ourselves, but field owners need protection. When I play on private property, we (the players) are a close-knit group who watch out for each other. If you really need full auto, play responsibly and let your peers judge you.

Last edited by Bocasean : 01-14-2002 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:51 AM #17
DuBri
F*** the police

Yes but people cant be responsible. Luckily most of the glue sniffers ignore the AT. Heck full auto isnt any use if you only get 25 shots right?! jk. Hopefully they will just leave it semi auto. I dont care how fast YOU can pull it as long as it is you.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:57 PM #18
El Scandelouse
Banned

To the guy with the AT, obviously you have never owned an angel
You just dont flip a switch on an angel. you gotta take the grips off and press the buttons under the board. Smakman, how would you like someone shooting 18 bps full auto with a halo, coming around on you at 2 feet and hitting you in relatively the same spot 18 to 36 times, plus its a big safety concern because goggles can be pushed down and throats could be shot so much they collapse or make it hard to breath. Do some research first before you post a useless thread.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:09 PM #19
Teriaki Duck B2K

scandelouse: dude with the AT said that electros were different and that you DID have to take the grip off, as opposed to select-fire with his AT.

please read carefully before flames
Old 01-14-2002, 03:18 PM #20
Bocasean

Apparently I was not clear with what my point was on my last post. I have used pretty much every gun out there, so yes I understand that the electronics are in the grip. That was what I was trying to say....my AT was easy for me to control the ROF. But with most guns having the selective switch inside the grip, once it's in full auto, it stays in full-auto. That's what half of my post discussed. It even says it directly. My point was that my gun and my usage of it made full-auto a relatively safe option. But with many guns lacking the select fire switch it's difficult to switch back to semi. If you couple that with the fact that many gun owners are irresponsible, it is a dangerous situation for field owners.

My way of describing my opinion to Smakman was an attempt to show him my old opinions (which were similar to his) and my new opinions (and how I came to have these opinions).

I agree with what is predominant on this thread....full-auto in a commercial setting is bad news. People in general can be a real threat to safety with full-auto. And oh yeah, the AT was a great gun to me, DuBri. People have given them a bad rap because they don't understand the maintenance, but I had no trouble.

Sorry for the confusion. Read my old post again, and you'll see what I was getting at.

Take Care

Sean Rutan
UnitedPaintball
www.unitedpaintball.com
Old 01-14-2002, 04:09 PM #21
Richy_C
kills people

Needing F/A at all shows to me that you are using something which other players are not, and some that cannot. That's like cheating on a net game. I've flipped on F/A on my bushy, and try as i might, i could not control the firing as much as i could on semi. Call me a punk with an electro all you want, because i know that i can do just as well without full auto, more safely, and i don't need my equipment set on "abusive". About the mask not being on right, suppose the player has a spectra, hard plastic bottem. If 5 or more shots land on that hard plastic, not only is there a chance it could shatter, but it could be moved forward, exposing the players eyes. Face it, F/A is not allowed because it's not safe, and takes little skill. If you and all your other little unskilled pals want to hurt eachother, be my guest, but don't expect any insurance.