PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-22-2015, 07:17 PM #1
jer1691
Old Skool

has been a member for 10 years
2D Paintball | An Online Multiplayer Speedball Game

TL;DR Developed a new online multiplayer 2D paintball/speedball "simulation" game, looking for feedback.
___

New 2D Paintball Alpha Multiplayer Promo Trailer!

★ HOW TO PLAY VIDEO ★

www.2DPaintball.com

Game Theory & How to Play + Gameplay Help
Gameplay Video #1 | Gameplay Video #2
Field Gallery | Donate!

/r/2DPaintball | Original Announcement / Concept Thread | r/paintball Launch Thread

*The game is very much in alpha. This means major issues are sure to happen (like server locking up, lag spikes, and general mayhem.) If you run into any issues, please send some feedback through the game's feedback button, this will help us track and fix the issues as fast as possible

*This game is also very ping dependent for smoothness in gameplay. Right now there is only a U.S. West server running, if you get over 100 ping regularly to the server, you will most likely have a degraded playing experience (controls may be laggy.)*

___

The idea is to create a 2D simulated speedball experience, and by this I mean trying to re-create the true feel, strategy, and gameplay of playing tournament speedball. I believe that getting all of the "small" details right is what can really make this game work even in a 2D environment.

This game is inspired by 1 game in specific; many years ago (2003ish) I played a 2D paintball game called X-ball v2.8 which I really liked; I still play it today sometimes, it's even been updated to v3.1 semi recently, and at the time it mimicked playing speedball almost better than any game out in the market, it still kind of does.

With that said, I've always wanted to create a Multiplayer paintball game that is "accurate/simulation" enough that actual players/teams could possibly use it to practice for events and employ real strategies that they can carry to real life pball events. I also wanted this game to be very accessible (meaning easy to play / no install / no download / free2play / PC (keyboard+mouse) etc.)

In turn, this game will be less about graphics and more about actually getting the "feels" of high-caliber paintball in 2D.

Old Announcement Gameplay Videos

Old Announcement Images

Last edited by jer1691 : 06-18-2016 at 10:45 PM.
jer1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2015, 08:53 PM #2
C0lin
-KP3 Owners club-

Annual Supporting Member
C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
C0lin plays in the APPA D5 division
C0lin supports Ninja Paintball
Hey man wanted to let you know the game started working well on my computer and its great! I really enjoy playing it! The only issue I have found is when words pop up on the screen, (for example when it says "Team 1 wins") the game tends to freeze and I have to either reload it or wait for awhile.

Otherwise great game keep up the good work!
C0lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 PM #3
jer1691
Old Skool

Thanks for the feedback!

I can't replicate anything like that on my end, but if you want to pm me I can try to help you figure out the issue. *For best results, try closing all other browser tabs/windows when playing.

One thing to note is that the game does use your CPU (moderately) and Video Card (limited), so any PC/Laptop with decent CPU/RAM should run it perfectly smooth.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 PM #4
C0lin
-KP3 Owners club-

Annual Supporting Member
C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
C0lin plays in the APPA D5 division
C0lin supports Ninja Paintball
No problem and thanks for the advise. I'm sure its not my computer, its my internet. I don't actually have internet, just a phone hotspot.
C0lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:06 AM #5
jer1691
Old Skool

This game heavily relies on good internet and solid ping for an enjoyable experience... So using a hotspot will definitely cause weird/lag issues.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:47 AM #6
cwills

Annual Supporting Member
cwills has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cwills has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cwills supports Ninja Paintball
Love this game
cwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:06 PM #7
h0wb0y
Soaking Up The Knowledge

Annual Supporting Member
h0wb0y has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
h0wb0y has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
h0wb0y supports DLX Technology
I played for awhile - and I really liked it. Took me a little while to start to get the hang of it - but it is pretty awesome.

My only suggestion would be a smaller, less complex field as well - so you can get a feel easier and it could be zoomed in further which would make the balls and angles easier to see.

Just my 2cents --- but, like I said, it is awesome!
h0wb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:49 PM #8
jer1691
Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0wb0y View Post
I played for awhile - and I really liked it. Took me a little while to start to get the hang of it - but it is pretty awesome.

My only suggestion would be a smaller, less complex field as well - so you can get a feel easier and it could be zoomed in further which would make the balls and angles easier to see.

Just my 2cents --- but, like I said, it is awesome!
Thanks for the feedback!

The game has a legit learning curve and is not meant to be "an easy game" overall. However, after watching new users play during this alpha, we're learning that many players are finding it too difficult to jump into.

We're currently discussing creating an Amateur Field and Pro Field during the alpha. The bots will be much easier and the rate of fire will be lower on the Amateur Field. This way you can learn the "finer" mechanics of the game at a slower pace.

An Elo system is also being discussed for players, along with a Rank Lvl to progress from D5 - D1, unlocking upgrades, and difficulty increases on the way etc.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:59 AM #9
h0wb0y
Soaking Up The Knowledge

Annual Supporting Member
h0wb0y has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
h0wb0y has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
h0wb0y supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer1691 View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

The game has a legit learning curve and is not meant to be "an easy game" overall. However, after watching new users play during this alpha, we're learning that many players are finding it too difficult to jump into.

We're currently discussing creating an Amateur Field and Pro Field during the alpha. The bots will be much easier and the rate of fire will be lower on the Amateur Field. This way you can learn the "finer" mechanics of the game at a slower pace.

An Elo system is also being discussed for players, along with a Rank Lvl to progress from D5 - D1, unlocking upgrades, and difficulty increases on the way etc.
I think you guys are shining the spotlight in the correct areas. If you make those adjustments, I think you will be behind one heck of a fun game!
h0wb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:37 AM #10
jer1691
Old Skool

Field Editor, coming soon...

Old 10-13-2015, 02:49 PM #11
jer1691
Old Skool

2D Paintball Update v0.5.0 has been released, and it's a big one! View Changelog

Along with our new subreddit /r/2DPaintball, a new east coast server, and many other updates, we've released a full paintball Field Editor that can work standalone and within our game! The field editor is purposely built to be flexible, depending on map size, bunker sizes, editable shapes, and the rectangle bunker/tool, there are a surprising amount of possibilities for creation already; so get creative, you might make something amazing for 2D Paintball's gameplay!

Amazing you say? Yep! If you make a great field and we see it in the Field Gallery, we'll host it on our multiplayer servers for everyone to play on! *And if you want to use it as just a field editor (to make real field layouts, field concepts, to strategize, etc.) that's cool too!*

Future plans for the Field Gallery and Field Editor will allow community voting, categorizing, custom game modes, sharing, live/local testing, and submitting your maps to be played on the multiplayer servers. Eventually you could drop in on anyone's map, anytime, view it and play it with bots, without being on multiplayer!
___

www.2DPaintball.com
Game Theory | How to Play + Gameplay Help | Field Gallery
___

Our stretch goal for 2D Paintball is to be somewhere players/teams can practice together & prepare for events, where field operators can create and play test their field ideas, where the core paintball community can hang out and play together when they're not out on the field.

Thank you for your support!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 PM #12
NeedForSpeed

This is fun!

If we could get an event with a bunch of players online that would be really cool

Last edited by NeedForSpeed : 10-13-2015 at 10:04 PM.
NeedForSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:08 AM #13
gunhero5
High Fives & Good Vibes

Annual Supporting Member
gunhero5 is a Moderator
gunhero5 is a Supporting Member
gunhero5 supports Bob Gurnsey
gunhero5 supports our troops
gunhero5 is Immortal
Seems to work on Firefox.

OG Supporting Member | Hopelessly Stuck In 2003 | 1TIM6:12
"Quit smiling, you're suppose to be professional." - RR
gunhero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:00 PM #14
jer1691
Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhero5 View Post
Seems to work on Firefox.
Right now Chrome best supports all our features, and has the least amount of bugs while we develop the core game.

It's still a bit too buggy in FF for us at the moment to full say we support it; gun sounds aren't reliable/not working, right click bugs out from time to time, and a few other annoying things.

IE hasn't been addressed, it's just straight borked at the moment.

I've yet to even try/install Safari.

Last edited by jer1691 : 10-14-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:04 PM #15
jer1691
Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed View Post
This is fun!

If we could get an event with a bunch of players online that would be really cool
We NEED to get a bunch of players online at the same time for load testing purposes eventually. An influx of 40+ people jumping on now will most likely break everything, but it needs to happen for us to test!
Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 PM #16
L_x
Alex Hodge

L_x works for a Paintball manufacturer
Absolutely love this. Played last night with a group of 5 mates on teamspeak and had a tonne of fun.

Going to be playing a lot of this! See you guys on the field.

Designer | Facebook | Portfolio | Youtube
L_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:52 PM #17
jer1691
Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_x View Post
Absolutely love this. Played last night with a group of 5 mates on teamspeak and had a tonne of fun.

Going to be playing a lot of this! See you guys on the field.
Thanks! And speaking of voip... we may just be implementing that in game soon
Old 10-19-2015, 07:10 PM #18
bearcatflex

bearcatflex has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bearcatflex has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Great little game there. Well done !!!
bearcatflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:40 PM #19
NeedForSpeed

Pm me if anyone wants to play
Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 PM #20
NeedForSpeed

There were more players on tonight.. some great competition!
Old 10-22-2015, 01:28 AM #21
jer1691
Old Skool

2D Paintball Update v0.5.3 has been released, now with field rotations and voting! View Changelog

If you make an awesome map, we'll add it to our multiplayer rotations on all servers! Seeya on the field!

___

www.2DPaintball.com
Game Theory | How to Play + Gameplay Help| Field Gallery | Donate!
___

Last edited by jer1691 : 10-22-2015 at 01:38 AM.