Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 12:12 AM #22
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Vagabond Soldier is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Bocasean
I think most of you are missing the point, or maybe it just hasn't been stressed enough. Pballking wants to make a site that will get more people involved in paintball. How will he accomplish this by showing welts and injuries, you ask? Well, simply put, if the site is done in the manner in which he's describe it to me, it WILL cut down on the number of negative incidents.
Maybe he needs to explain it a whole lot better to us for I still don't see how showing injuries is going to get more people into the sport. Will it cut down on 'negative incidents'? (BTW what exactly is a negitive incident.) I don't know and I don't think anyone else does either. Besides how does cutting down on the number of negative incidents bring in more players?

Quote:
Say all you want about the growth of paintball, and how a site like this can scare away new players. The fact is, it's more damaging to the sport to have a bunch of uneducated players buying a gun at Wal-Mart and playing with no mask, or just a pair of shop goggles.[/b]
Actually I would say it is the no mask or shop goggles that is the problem not the bunch of uneducated players buying a gun at Wal-mart. We all need to get over the misconception that Wal-mart is the enemy. I would say they have done more to get new players into the sport than any one company. I would bet that they will bring in more players than what a website showing injuries will. Maybe what we need to do is send all those pictures to Brass Eagle and demand that they sell masks with all there guns that are not sold in a paintball shop. (think they do this already but I'm not sure)

Quote:
We need to convince parents and civic leaders that paintball is not a dangerous sport, if proper guidelines are met in regards to safety. Having a bunch of kids running around the neighborhood Lions Park with their guns shooting at 350 fps will severly undermine any efforts to convince these community leaders.

The site will have industry statistics that show paintball is safer than most sports today, including football, baseball, wrestling, badmitton, teatherball, full contact ping pong, bocce ball, shuffleboard, and skydiving. Oh yeah, don't forget about errant lawn darts!

All joking aside, the statistics will show community leaders that paintball is safe, and the pictures will scare new players into buying, and using, the appropriate safety gear. I wouldn't support it if I wasn't completely sure that its existance will increase the scope of paintball's popularity.

Take Care

Sean Rutan
UnitedPaintball
www.unitedpaintball.com [/b]
I'm pretty sure it will not bring in new players and I'm not sure it will show community leaders that paintball is safe. First I doubt there is alot of new players that check out the sport online before they play. If they do there more than likely going to get places like Warpig, PBC, and PBN. If they do make it to this site I still feel there going to get scared off unless your just showing the odd welt and isn't what was asked for. Ask a guy would you like to play a sport where you could lose a nut from a hit and they will tell you heck no.

Lastly the stats will no doubt show it to be safe but if you tie the pictures in with them it is sending a conflicting message. 'Paintball is safe but there is the chance of major injury.' At best they will ignore the pictures. More than likely they will error on the side of caution.

ESSAYONS

"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said 'Here I am, send me.'" Isaiah 6:8
Old 01-13-2002, 12:31 AM #23
pballking
=-.:o:.-=

the site is not going to be only injuries, its going to be a section of the site, there will also be a newbie section with good newbie tips, and articles

on the gallery, it will have a notice what its all about, and that you shouldnt be scared off, and that it dosnt always happen..

the gallery is mainly for fun, and will also help so people will understand why they should play in a civualiazed manner, and not shoot any faster than 300fps... I will also have a note about that in my gallery...

it will help so people wont play stupidly in the woods with there guns shooting at 325fps... because that is not meant to happen, but so many people do that ,and welts are the outcome of that.

I am not going to post any nasty pictures of eyes haning out or anything like that..because it gives paintball a false identity, and dosnt happen, and that would scare people off....

but little common welts will not scare people off... but it will keep bad injuries to happen, and it will get people thinking, instead of being carless, and shooting 'hot' guns.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:32 AM #24
Brad

I'll be sure to post plenty of welts for all the anti-welt-pictures-because-they-scare-off-newbies organization ****cough**** APG READERS! ****cough**** ! Really, do you want MORE newbies playing at your field? I play at Challenge Park in IL and I sure as hell don't... I have nothing against new people to the sport, I love to act superior to them because they don't know anything about paintball. The bottomline is, if you can't stand the pain, then don't play the game... (sorry, not supposed to rhyme!!)
Old 01-13-2002, 01:00 AM #25
Brad

If the kids are playing at a field, injuries should not be a problem. Newbs should not be playing in their backyards or in the woods... they would be asking for an injury, cus they wouldn't know all of the safety procedures... but welts are common, unless you sit behind a bunker until the time is up.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:05 AM #26
aZnTLbALLeR

paintball is not controversial ...its strong enough to stand alone as a sport ..and another thing people that call our beloved sport "extreme" are all stupid lil *** tards that read apg too much.Paintball has its knicks and bruises just like any sport, how can a welt drive newbie's from this sport,that's like saying your not supposed to get hit in football. Paintball is not in trouble in this country ..its actually getting more recognition and praise,SoOo just stfu and post some damn welts cuz i want to get grossed out
Old 01-13-2002, 02:47 AM #27
Bocasean

I agree totally that Wal-Mart has done a great job of getting paintball into the mainstream. I have no beef with Wal-Mart whatsoever. I'm merely concerned with kids playing without proper education and supervision.

You're questions have definite merit. If the injury section of the site is not handled with kid gloves, then it may very well have the opposite effect of what any of us want....less new players and more red tape from the non-playing public. If, however, the site is done properly, it will bring more public acceptance to paintball for several reasons. You have to remember that people unfamiliar with the sport only know one thing: we use guns to shoot people. Using paintballs to shoot people can lead to lost eyeballs, bleeding, ruptured testicles, breathing problems, and an assortment of other injuries (I'd say losing one's eye is a "negative incident"). It doesn't matter if we never put these images on a site...non-players' perception of paintball will be influenced by these dangers. Period. Anyone, regardless of whether or not they see the pictures for themselves, is aware of the damage paintballs can do.

Then, if they are already aware of the dangers, why would we want to reinforce these fears, right? It took me a while to figure out what your beef was, and I think that's it. You all are absolutely right to have these concerns. But, they are misguided in this instance. The site will show the progression of paintball...the evolution, if you will. Non-players are still driven by preconceived notions concerning paintball. Here's a quick breakdown of how the site will both entertain with gross welts, and funny "cringe-inducing" injuries...and more importantly, educate with cold, hard facts:

The site will show the beginnings of paintball, when injuries (like the ones shown on the site) were common. But, as time went on, more safety measures were taken, and the injuries decreased (as supported by actual statistics). Then, as larger, more organized companies began to influence the direction of paintball, the injuries all but vanished (again, supported with statisitics, as well as current photos of successful events).

So will this bring more people into the sport? Yes! It will show how paintball is not the redneck sport that they may think it is. It will also show that paintball is statistically safer than most sports out there today. Honesty is how you get people to trust you. They know paintballs can injure, and the site comes right out and admits it. Bam! they've always known paintballs can injure, and the site tells the truth. But, the site spins their version of the "truth" into what the real truth is: Paintball has evolved into a very safe sport today. More importantly, it's fun.

You're opinions of the site are based on what you picture in your head. You have to remember that pballking was only asking for welt and injury pics. He didn't take a lot of time explaining the site, so don't jump to conclusions. It's possible to entertain with pain, and educate at the same time. It's darn funny to see some moron take a shot to the nuts....that's why America's Funniest Home Videos was a hit. That humor will make the site popular and bring visitors. Once the visitors are there, the site will educate them. What else do you want!!!?

aZnTLbALLeR is right. Paintball is fun, and sometimes harmless injuries are funny. If you see a little kid fall down, you laugh it up so he doesn't cry. The same effect can be had with new players too...everyone gets welts, you might as well wear 'em like a badge of honor. The site will educate those who don't already know this.

Send in your pictures and help a brother out.

Sean Rutan
UnitedPaintball
www.unitedpaintball.com
Old 01-13-2002, 01:45 PM #28
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Vagabond Soldier is a Supporting Member
Bocasean and pballking, you all make some convincing arguements. Put our spin on it instead of someone not in paintball putting the spin on it. It sounds like you really put some thought into this. I'd have to say you've change my mind about it. I don't know if your going to change everyones mine about this, it is still a very sensitive subject. But once you get it up and running and show other players what you are doing I feel they will come around.

ESSAYONS

"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said 'Here I am, send me.'" Isaiah 6:8
Old 01-13-2002, 02:05 PM #29
Bocasean

I'm glad we've got your support, Vagabond. You put up some darn good arguments and forced me to better explain it. As for getting the "spin" of paintball players, let's have at it.

Is my above explanation good enough to give you all the gist of what the site will be? If it is, we'd love to hear what you all would like to see, both text wise, and in the form of photo/video contrbutions.

We have chance to make an entertaining site that'll educate too. Pballking is making it for all paintball players, so the more you contribute to it, the more it will "belong" to you. I can hook him up with industry info, insurance statistics, new product info, and technical assistance, but the rest is up to the players. Contributing is you or your team's chance to get some coverage and publicity. The injury section is just one small part of the site, and it's where pballking decided to start. The 320+ views would make it seem like an interesting subject, and a good place to test interest in the site. He didn't mention that he'll take team photos, gear photos, and even articles. In particular, some old-school photos and articles of the early days of paintball would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your support

Sean Rutan
UnitedPaintball
www.unitedpaintball.com
Old 01-13-2002, 05:48 PM #30
HyBriD64
ELITE

i remember seeing a pic of a guy that got hit in the ballz and it looked like he had a basketball between his legs with a big hole on the right side. This was in my very early days of pb and i didnt deterr me from the sport whatsoever. I just wear a cup whenever i play
12" Dye Boomstick
Gladiator & Sonic ASA (coming soon)
" Pain is simply weakness leaving the body..."
www.obdo.net Member #392
Old 01-13-2002, 06:08 PM #31
Brad

nasty! *runs out to buy a cup*
Old 01-13-2002, 06:15 PM #32
Smakman
Owner: Smak Zone PB

I want to know what Vagabond Soldier saw that was so scary!
Old 01-14-2002, 04:29 PM #33
Bocasean

Wow that is hilarious man! You might want to go buy some calamine lotion. Pballking will include it on the site. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:59 PM #34
Brad

Ok, ouch! umm, look at this pic!! This will be me next weekend!!

Pic courtesy of "Meatloaf".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg many many welts.jpg (131.1 KB, 247 views)
Old 01-14-2002, 05:03 PM #35
Maqzun

If you show that to newbies they'lll get the wrong idea and think paintball gives you aids or something
Old 01-14-2002, 05:23 PM #36
Brad

lol, yea, it kinda looks like he has a disease or hives or something.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:28 PM #37
Pharmokan
Banned

stop posting pics of topless fat women! thats illegal on pbnation!
Old 01-14-2002, 05:37 PM #38
meatloaf
COCKERMAN

meatloaf is a Supporting Member
meatloaf is a founding member
Pharmokan, please STFU, if have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all, This is my brother btw, i appreciate u not talking ****.
-02 Freeflow Lotus
-GX-3 sniper
-99 RF 'Cocker
Old 01-14-2002, 05:38 PM #39
Brad

Pharmokan, shutup and go **** yourself, please do not turn this into a flame thread. Keep your disrespectful comments to yourself please.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:14 PM #40
meatloaf
COCKERMAN

meatloaf is a Supporting Member
meatloaf is a founding member
Thanks brad, you are RAD!! !! lol that was stupid.
-02 Freeflow Lotus
-GX-3 sniper
-99 RF 'Cocker
Old 01-14-2002, 06:21 PM #41
biggie2002

I think that the website would be sweet. I'll make sure I take some pictures when I shot your ***** in the field who are coming up with this pathetic idea of a site lol

Last edited by biggie2002 : 01-14-2002 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:46 PM #42
Brad

Quote:
I'll make sure I take some pictures when I shot your ***** in the who are coming up with the pathetic idea of this site
what the fu.....? dude, did you just try to say a sentence??

Quote:
Thanks brad, you are RAD!!
lol, not that one again!
Closed Thread