Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-23-2004, 08:29 PM #43
DarkCocker
The Bomb

DarkCocker is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
I don't think a draft would be all that bad. I wouldn't mind getting drafted, but if I knew a draft was coming up for a war, I would rather volunteer so I can atleast move up in rankings.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2004, 08:32 PM #44
NotChunks
Banned

NotChunks is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
On the subject of the draft, heres one of my older posts since I am too lazy to type it out again:

Quote:
Originally posted by NotChunks
A good friend of my family is the former Inspector General of the marine corp (a three star postion). I talked with him at a dinner party last month about this and this is what he had to say about it:

The draft will come up, but will never be implimented because of three reasons: first, we cant afford it. 67% of the defense budget goes to just paying people alone. We cant afford to pay more people, period. A draft would cost somewhere around $60 BILLION dollars to equip, train and deploy those troops. This is not even counting having to pay benefits. Second, the draft would be politically unfeasable b/c of the issue of women in the military and what to do with them (draft them or not). The third reason is that conscripts genrally preform worse on the battlefield than an all volunteer army. It hurts the moral of career troops to see lackluster preformance from conscript soldiers that do not want to be there or take orders.

Thats the gist of what he had to say. I am really not informed enough to weigh in on the situation.

Edit: I didnt see the article until now, but I'd like to punch some holes in it.

$28 Million would cover funding for about 15 new troops for training, equipment, pay and deployment. When it comes to the military budget anything under $500 million is pocket change.

Second, this is alarmist bs. The group cited as "bringing it to the authors attention" is a left wing watch group. Look at the source before making decisions on a satement made.

I think the issue of the draft is just alarmist crap that the democrats are using as ammo for election campaigns. This whole conspiracy theory about Bush trying to take over the world is just plain bull****.

Twitch makes a good point, a draft isnt necessary in todays wars. We have about 100,000 troops in Iraq. In the first Gulf War we had 5 times that. A war in Korea would take another 100,000. That gives us about another 300,000 troops to rotate and toy around with. And thats not even our whole military.