PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-04-2002, 03:38 PM #1
MaGix
Hi

has been a member for 10 years
Exclamation My interent or computer is gay and i need help big time!!!!!!!

Hey, I have a gateway and I am running Windows Me. I use MSN for my internet service provider since DSL or cable is not in my area... at all. Everytime i start my computer stuff will not load and it wil freeze up and I wont be able to play on battlenet(gaming service). I will always get droped so I do - alt, cntrl, dlt..... and it says Trayclnt not responding....always, i just checked and its not responding now...Its ****ed up and it causes lots of problems..I dont know what it is or how to fix it..

second off.... whenever i want to shutdown my computer it wont be able to shutdown..... i hold the button for like 10 seconds and it wont turn off, so i always gotta pull the plug, whats up with this ****??

And lots of times i get a blue screen saying its ****ed up.... this is krazy and i want help so my computer experience is nice and great thanks!!

-magix

For Sale:

Vision Impulse (red to grey fade), blade trigger, full freak set + 10 inch barrel tip, black dye stickies, red flame drop

Old autococker, 14 inch dye boomstick

68/3000 PMI Pure Energy tank

Warped Sportz drop with on\off
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2002, 08:29 PM #2
isa268

Quote:
gateway
Quote:
Windows Me
Quote:
I use MSN for my internet service provider

Quote:
so i always gotta pull the plug
running a gateway computer is your first mistake

ME is your second

MSN is your third

and ALWAYS pulling the plug before shuting down properly is your fouth mistake.

ok you cant control the first 3 and i dont want to be a smart *** and not give you any advice but you can start by not "just pulling the plug". you should just beable to push and release the button and it should turn off you shouldnt have to hold the button in.

what stuff wont load?? hardware? software? if its hardware check to see if its Plug and Play. then check for updated drivers the ones you have might not work with ME. if its software you might have to reload some software. is the computer brand new?? old??? i know my old hand-me-down computer is hella slow and freezes a lot (but its FREE so im not complaining) with out being there i really cant help you much. last is a good old re-format, or take it into the shop.

matt

ps. i dont consider my self a computer guru by any means, but i try.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:26 PM #3
dzhezKov
одиH

dzhezKov is a Supporting Member
dzhezKov is a founding member
On AT cases/powersupplies the power button was no joke, push it, and it turned off. On modern ATX cases/power supplies you have to push the button in for a few seconds to let it know you REALLY want to shut down, and that pushing the button was not your cat/kid/dog/bird/wife/ghosts fault and an accident.

MaGix you just need to reinstall windows, you have a pretty jacked up OS. Save/burn all the files and whatnot you simply cannot live without and format the drive. Before you do this download the lastest drivers for all of your hardware too, if you can, so you can install the newest drivers in your new Windows install.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

"I've seen much of the world... It is brutal, and cruel, and dark."
Old 01-05-2002, 07:22 PM #4
MaGix
Hi

there is nothing wrong with a gateway computer...windows me might not be a great thing but oh well... MSN, yes I know its bad.... but its unbelievable how you say dont pull the plug... If you read my damn post you would realize when i press the button or hold it down it wont shutdown, perioud.... it wont shutdown so I have to pull the plug and put it back in and restart it.... read my post.... it wont shutdown when i push or hold the button its ****ed up....

dzhezKov what do you suggest about restalling and copying all this stuff, whats your insight??

-magix

For Sale:

Vision Impulse (red to grey fade), blade trigger, full freak set + 10 inch barrel tip, black dye stickies, red flame drop

Old 01-06-2002, 06:46 AM #5
xAskingForItx
2k1er n00btastic

xAskingForItx is a founding member
GET RID OF WIN ME, it's terrible
Old 01-06-2002, 07:46 PM #6
MaGix
Hi

that helps so much!!!(saracastic) you want to be more specific and give reasons to why not and what to get... maybe even tell me what my problem might be other then that.

-magix

For Sale:

Old 01-07-2002, 09:09 AM #7
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
theyre right though. get rid of win me if at all possible. use 98se, or xp, or something. if you absolutely cannot get rid of winme, however, your best bet to fix all that **** is to format your hard drives and reinstall everything, just like dz said. when i ran 98 i had to reinstall ever 6-12 months to keep it running even reasonably well.

try waiting a while to see if the computer sorts itself out. when it does this, go get some coffee, watch tv, wait like 15 minutes, and then come back, if its still locked up, then youre in trouble, but if it seems to have done something while you were away, then youre just not being patient enough, and the next time it happens just sit there and wait to see how long it takes for it to finish whatever the hell its doing (transmitting the contents of your hard drive to gateway, perhaps?). ive found over the years that a lot of people, especially young people (and you strike me as someone fairly young) simply do not wait long enough for their computer to figure itself out. they are in too much of a hurry to restart the computer whenever anything goes wrong. just be patient.

try defragmenting the hard drives. it may seem kinda random, but it could help. ive seen defragging fix a lot of wierd stuff. course, if windows doesnt last that long, you could have some trouble. also, check the hard drive for errors. if you can, right click on the hdd in my computer and select "tools" and click the button marked "check for errors" or something to that effect. its possible that a bad sector has developed on your hard drive in a very unfriendly place. i know norton utilities can do this from a boot disk in case windows doesnt last long enough to finish the error checking. if you dont have norton utilities, either borrow it or wait for someone like dz to catch on that im suggesting that he jump in and tell you if theres a way to check the hdd for errors from a boot disk using what comes with win me.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:14 PM #8
strubbe
Team Predator Young Blood

I'm not sure if he can go about reinstalling windows... Dell might not have included the original Windows installer CD with his computer, just like HP didn't include the Windows XP cd with mine. Is there a way he/I can somehow get this CD from our respective CPU manufacturers?
Old 01-07-2002, 05:52 PM #9
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

look for a recovery cd or something of that nature. they often disguise them like that. course, the big problem is that sometimes they include all their gay little programs with them that you cant kill. if you cant stand this, or they didnt include a recovery cd, the only thing i can say is take the opportunity to upgrade your os or call them and give them a royal *****ing.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:28 PM #10
viper311

odds are if you have win ME it autodownloaded IE6.0....which is extremely buggy unless it's being run with WinXP....the easiest thing to do if it's a gateway is actually to start it up into safe monde..(press f8 while it's booting up and if a menu comes up choose safe mode) then it should take you into the greatest thing about ME...the computer actually takes images of your hard drive about once a week....so when it goes into safe mode go to the option to restore from an image....and then choose the date from the calender about a week before the problem started occuring....this should fix your problem...if you have any problems or questions hit me on AIM or pm me....because odds are I won't hit this forum back for a while.....P.S. gateways are pretty good computers....2nd only to dell in my opinion

Jeff

Red Angel Speed

Black -> green fade AI
Old 01-08-2002, 08:51 AM #11
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

that is actually kinda cool. too bad the rest of winme sux0rz. and i despise all the mass-market prebuilt computers. and they suck only because they are built for the stupid.