What experienced players think is the best starting paintball marker - Page 3 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-04-2001, 10:55 AM #43
skell
I started out with a Brass Eagle Tigershark. It was a good little gun and it taught me important skills. A few of my friends all started out with pump-markers againt kids already owning model 98's, spider one's and pihranas. the skills we learned then put us at the top now. we all have high end guns (mags, and impulse) and the groupe that started out with the pumps rule the field. the others wont let us all on the same team because we kill.

Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2001, 10:27 PM #44
illustrious666

has been a member for 10 years
Model 98 all the way, no questions.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:46 AM #45
hothead2

hothead2 is a founding member
RamboPreacher some electros u can choose how many bps u can fire out of the gun. u dont need to set it up to 13bps and start shooting that fast. u could just set it downt to 4-5bps and learn that way. but in the next year or so the marker can grow with u in rate of fire.
ping-pong
Old 06-05-2001, 04:48 PM #46
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
Originally posted by hothead2
RamboPreacher some electros u can choose how many bps u can fire out of the gun. u dont need to set it up to 13bps and start shooting that fast. u could just set it downt to 4-5bps and learn that way. but in the next year or so the marker can grow with u in rate of fire.
I realize that (not like I havent' used them b4). The challenge is that that wouldn't be a typical nubee setting. "put it on full blast" is what I have heard many times (or somethign similar).
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:10 PM #47
hothead2

hothead2 is a founding member
put it on full blast. lol thats the funniest thing i have heard
ping-pong
Old 06-13-2001, 10:47 AM #48
SuPrPaInTxTasy
BLAZE

Thumbs up Go for the Griffin! I had one and it was great for an entry level gun.

~Team Blaze~

Hektor
Old 06-14-2001, 01:04 PM #49
pb_kidd
Puppies on acid

pb_kidd is a founding member
Take a Rebel

I think if you need a semi auto,get a basic rebel.As you get better you can modify the gun.I bought a basic rebel a while ago for somethin to do and now it has a 4sage expansion chamber,bottomline,a drop foward,big shot barrel,and i made it low pressure.The gun works great with me. I have nothing agianst 98s and the 98 fans will say dont get the rebel,but pesonally i think only get the 98 if your gettin a flatline.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:56 PM #50
CockerMan86

CockerMan86 is a founding member
Why buy a rebel? A rebel is just another spyder clone. If you go with a spyder/pirahna you will have a lot more advantages.
For Example:
-With a spyder/pirahna you can buy more aftermarket parts
-Spyders/pirahnas are more common, so if you need help with the gun, chances are you'll get better help
Old 06-14-2001, 09:57 PM #51
RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
>Gd |_ |<<

actually.....

I dont understand why alot of you are saying , well most of you are saying newbies shouldn't start out with mags.

Pros:

Very Very Very Easy Maintenance
Great Instruction Booklet
Great Video

Good RoF

Not Made of plastic, but still small compact and light

Cons.

Must be ran on nitro/compressed air (or double regging c02, meaning like Male and Female palmer stabilizers and also running remote)

A little more expenisive but,

Gun can last a long time considering there are a good amount of upgrades and when you decide / get money you only have to do minor things or big things, Dye Double trigger frame and trigger or **** stock frame throw on a kapp double trigger, get a power tube spacer kit, nitro piston (better air flow than stock, needed for nitro if you want good air flow)venturi bolt, and a good aftermarket barrel ex. Boomstick, Freak, CP, J&J, and JT's New 2 piece) , drop foward and a Nitro or better system ex: low end: Hyper Flow Cube 4500psi tanks, or Java Series tanks.... high end: Conquest, maxflow, or armageddon. Oh yeah Rev is a must have!
.............and your off with a tourney paintball marker.......

Now the mag I have now is basically maxxed out, proboly one of the most consitent mags made , all upgrades even a gladiator reg. And lots of nice **** also a MicroMag 2k1 body. And it costed me about 650 - 750 making my custom mag lots of chrome/silver/nickel parts used but it shoots great.

But now my team is sponsored and its time for an electro soooooo that means angel time which of course I have enough money for. And its been 2 years with my totally tricked mag and now im upgrading to an electro and this baby proboly broke 6 balls the whole time i had her. But since I have the experiance and im also forced (kinda but not really) im getting a Totally Custom *** angel which by maybe august or sept. i will have. HEHE working all all summer. and also good thing get to get the lasts of my mag. (gonna miss her)

"tear
"tear

Ahhh, what the hell i am gonna miss her but im getting an angel and its gonna rock hehe
Old 06-14-2001, 09:58 PM #52
RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
>Gd |_ |<<

actually.....

I dont understand why alot of you are saying , well most of you are saying newbies shouldn't start out with mags.

Pros:

Very Very Very Easy Maintenance
Great Instruction Booklet
Great Video

Good RoF

Not Made of plastic, but still small compact and light

Cons.

Must be ran on nitro/compressed air (or double regging c02, meaning like Male and Female palmer stabilizers and also running remote)

A little more expenisive but,

Gun can last a long time considering there are a good amount of upgrades and when you decide / get money you only have to do minor things or big things, Dye Double trigger frame and trigger or cut stock frame throw on a kapp double trigger, get a power tube spacer kit, nitro piston (better air flow than stock, needed for nitro if you want good air flow)venturi bolt, "Retro valve if you want to get serious"(other upgrades wont work except venturi bolt) and a good aftermarket barrel ex. Boomstick, Freak, CP, J&J, and JT's New 2 piece) , drop foward and a Nitro or better system ex: low end: Hyper Flow Cube 4500psi tanks, or Java Series tanks.... high end: Conquest, maxflow, or armageddon. Oh yeah Rev is a must have!
.............and your off with a tourney paintball marker.......

Now the mag I have now is basically maxxed out, proboly one of the most consitent mags made , all upgrades even a gladiator reg. And lots of nice $h1t also a MicroMag 2k1 body. And it costed me about 650 - 750 making my custom mag lots of chrome/silver/nickel parts used but it shoots great.

But now my team is sponsored and its time for an electro soooooo that means angel time which of course I have enough money for. And its been 2 years with my totally tricked mag and now im upgrading to an electro and this baby proboly broke 6 balls the whole time i had her. But since I have the experiance and im also forced (kinda but not really) im getting a Totally Custom @ss angel which by maybe august or sept. i will have. HEHE working all all summer. and also good thing get to get the lasts of my mag. (gonna miss her)

"tear
"tear

Ahhh, what the hell i am gonna miss her but im getting an angel and its gonna rock hehe

Last edited by RaV3n_Pa1ntba|| : 06-14-2001 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2001, 10:53 PM #53
joshie450

joshie450 is a founding member
Talking

i recamend getting a low end semi if you like the sport (ex. piranaha, spyder, m98) you dont need to upgrade it just play because you know you will want bigger and better eventually

but i advise not getting a pump because of the fact that speedball is becomeing big and pumps arnt really able to catch up and they cost about the same as a spyder compact or a vert air piranah
Cobra Led #25 of 25 f/s and f/t
~Western Massacre~
e-mail-joshie450@aol.com
AIM-joshie450

the only place your sposed to wipe at a tourny is in the sandy can~oh yea
Old 06-20-2001, 12:43 PM #54
FirstCallPaintball
Web Site Manager

You cant go wrong with the Model 98 custom. Easily upgradeable to electro or retro. So tough you couldnt break it if you tried.

Our Paint is Guaranteed: If you get broken paint in your box, contact us and we will ship out a replacement immediately.

You can email me with any questions at info@firstcallpaintball.com
or AOL IM "DoughboyFCP"
Old 06-22-2001, 12:47 AM #55
aznpb

Tippmans are good for starting if you want a durable gun that doesnt need much matenance. Spyders are also great if you want to start out with a more pricey marker.
- MacDev 68/4500 Conquest
- AirAmerica 68/4500 Armegeddon
- Smart Parts Freak System
Old 06-22-2001, 08:34 AM #56
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
Main reason why I would take a spyder over m98 is because that spyder is really high maintenance. i realise that m98 are really low maintenance but when you do have to work on them its a pain. When you take it a apart parts go every where and they are so small. Also m98s scream newbie.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-22-2001, 04:31 PM #57
FirstCallPaintball
Web Site Manager

Model 98 custom. Plain and Simple. Low maintenance, reliable and take a beating. There are also tons of upgrades available.

Our Paint is Guaranteed: If you get broken paint in your box, contact us and we will ship out a replacement immediately.

You can email me with any questions at info@firstcallpaintball.com
or AOL IM "DoughboyFCP"
Old 06-23-2001, 02:12 PM #58
no1beefcake
Teh Beefy

M98s are the best for newbies. Yeah, eventually they may want to upgrade to a better marker, but I know a lot of mag and cocker owners who've done the same. The thing about the 98 is that it'll be reliable, and let you play as much as possible. It works great on CO2, and even better on nitro, and it too can be electric very easily. Also, it's accurate, especially with a good aftermarket barrel and matching paint. I have played and seen Spyders that just aren't consistent enough to be accurate. The M98 will grow with you, and is inexpensive enough when you start out that if you decide that paintball isn't for you, you aren't out much money. Plus, if SPYDERS don't scream newbie, I don't know what does!
Old 06-23-2001, 02:58 PM #59
CockerMan86

CockerMan86 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally posted by no1beefcake
M98s are the best for newbies. Yeah, eventually they may want to upgrade to a better marker, but I know a lot of mag and cocker owners who've done the same. The thing about the 98 is that it'll be reliable, and let you play as much as possible. It works great on CO2, and even better on nitro, and it too can be electric very easily. Also, it's accurate, especially with a good aftermarket barrel and matching paint. I have played and seen Spyders that just aren't consistent enough to be accurate. The M98 will grow with you, and is inexpensive enough when you start out that if you decide that paintball isn't for you, you aren't out much money. Plus, if SPYDERS don't scream newbie, I don't know what does!
I agree a M98 is a good newbie gun. It isn't the best though. And you make statements that have no backup, no reliability.
Quote:
I have played and seen Spyders that just aren't consistent enough to be accurate
Umm, you think stock M98's are consistant? They aren't any more consistant than spyders.
Quote:
Plus, if SPYDERS don't scream newbie, I don't know what does!

M98, Pirahna, F4, and Spyders all scream newbie guns. Not just spyders.

You seem to think very highly of the M98. Do you honestly think it blows away all the other "newbie" guns? Well, it doesn't. Do you own a M98? Is that why you have a biast opinion?

But if it isn't biased. Please backup your statements.
Old 06-24-2001, 12:35 PM #60
no1beefcake
Teh Beefy

Ok, to address the above post, I am biased. My first two markers were a Blue Raptor Custom, and a Spyder 1. They both sucked, very badly, and they both cost more than the M98. I'm on my third marker, which is my M98. I've been playing with it for 6 months, and I've NEVER had a problem, not even 1! I tried after market barrels with both of my previous markers, and it didn't matter, they just weren't accurate. I don't know why, I'm just relating my personal experience. To let you know that I'm not the only ones, I was the first in my group to get a M98, but since I have, 8 others have been purchased, with no regrets. I do think that it's the best gun you can purchase for less than 130 dollars, possibly the best for under 250. I now have a 16" CP barrel and a Psycho Ballistic Universal drop forward. It is balanced well (if a bit long) and is very accurate. and my total investment? 170 bucks! That's just awesome! So yes, I am biased, but only because of personal experience.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:33 PM #61
evilklown2000
Re-heer!

M98 hands down.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:07 AM #62
ehflipya

Thumbs up

I am in agreement with UnrealTrip. The Spyder, or Spyder compact is not only a great gun for someone just starting out, but it is a great gun in general! Excellent accuracy and range, rarely has any jamming problems..and most of all.. is simple to take apart and clean. (very few parts). A great way to get into the sport, without draining your pockets.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:36 AM #63
ehflipya

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by jookie
I think the Tippmann m98 is the best gun, it was my first gun and it was very reliable and just a overall good gun.
I am in agreement with UnrealTrip. The Spyder, or Spyder compact is not only a great gun for someone just starting out, but it is a great gun in general! Excellent accuracy and range, rarely has any jamming problems..and most of all.. is simple to take apart and clean. (very few parts). A great way to get into the sport, without draining your pockets.