PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 PM #1
tuna

has been a member for 10 years
Question about extent of SP patent

From what I understand, SP has a patent covering any electronic switch in a paintball gun... which rules out the use of any electronics in a paintball gun.

The question I pose is this: Would a company be able to sell (without fear of legal intervention) a "gun" without an electronic board or electronic switch (maybe solenoid)? In their product description they would probably never state that it was a paintball gun, and instead would refer to it as a model gun or something similar. And then people could buy the noid and electro board, easy slide in upgrades, from other companies to make the gun operate.

I know that there is semi-precident: PMI was able to manufacture the pIMP kit, basically an unabashed Impulse body clone, and they did it by packaging the kit without I think the bolt and hammer, maybe another piece, things that the customers would have wanted to replace anyway.

Does anyone have an understanding of the law? Could this be done?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2004, 10:21 PM #2
MonkeyG
Now that you need her

i think they might be able to do that, idk.................................maybe
Click Here To Save The Nation
Want a NME LE?
Join the UPF and make a change in paintball
Old 04-06-2004, 11:52 PM #3
wrhsports

that would seem to be a big hassle for the consumer to have to get the board from other companies and stuff. But you might be on to something.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM #4
spantol
Turgid Member

Annual Supporting Member
spantol is a Supporting Member
spantol is reppin' sidebar 4 life
spantol has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
In short, no.

Pop "contributory patent infringement" into Google for more information. The PIMP kit would seem to fall under CPI rules, though SP seems to be looking the other way for now (that, or they just haven't gotten around to suing yet).