PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-05-2004, 03:06 PM #1
Kdigitalcave

has been a member for 10 years
First Event of Gpl 2004: Your thoughts...

Just woke up from the long drive home from the Poconos, and i was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the first GPL event?

I personally had a long.. long.. day yesterday (sunday) that involved lots of down time between games, but when we played the games were very competitive. I thought the field setups were very interesting, but i really didn't care for the hyperball field. We played 5man rookie (Cyanide), and pulled a second place finish. The weather was cold to say the least, and the wind was horrible especially when your bunker is trying to blow away when your playing. I had a fun day to sum it up.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2004, 03:17 PM #2
hybridd11
kracker

Re: question

Quote:
Originally posted by megabyte
How were the refs? I have heard they were horriable but I wanted your take on their performance.
i'm on team ambush and i've been going to gpl since 3rd event last year, and i have ALWAYS had above average performance from refs...no joke...

i played the novice 3-man cuz 5-man nov. was closed...
saturday, they day started crappy, but they handled it well considering the weather and what it did to the paint...

we sukt all day (i hate 3man and there was good competition), but it was still run smoothly and and precisely...
i'd have to say good job to GPL, and anyone interested in going to event two, should go...

fields were not as nicely set up as last year, but still good... and i like how they keep them maintaind during the day...

i just can't wait for event 2, team ambush will be in 5-man novice..
Old 04-05-2004, 03:18 PM #3
crashdan

Annual Supporting Member
crashdan owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
the refs were generally on top of things... but did have a few problems on field 2... not gonna say what it was... but i feel the reffing was fair, a few blown calls here and there, but they're not god... all in all... we'll be back in may
Old 04-05-2004, 03:24 PM #4
LtotheCD56
Viva la boof

c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-old lol and very windy but they couldnt help that

I played 7 man Nov...So much down time between games became annoying but was good for us considering EVERYONE of our guns went down.

We ended up using all our backups and then they broke so we had to go one guy no gun some games

all was good cept for the fields I absolutely hated them soo much.. i liked last years a lot
Will you marry me? "

NYX Fan #7

~Free Agent~
Old 04-05-2004, 03:53 PM #5
XLNS backman

i had alot of fun even tho i only got to play one game the domestic disturbince vs xlns it was great except for all the wind and the tents blowing away i know are first game physco insano killed us we got 0 but after that we game back and im gessing we have a top 10 finish i will know more the refs were excelent while i played the game i was in i had a nice long conversation with the ref that was next to me even after the game we talked the only bad thing is the dam microphone you couldnt hear it when your team was called
well thats my thoughts
Old 04-05-2004, 04:08 PM #6
Geckert
Team Cyanide

Geckert is a Supporting Member
Ok here it goes. First off I am so glad that they decided to change the paint for sun to premium because I have never seen a good case of severe. I honestly wasnt impressed by the reffing. Not saying that they werent fair just saying that some of them(not all) ever stepped a foot on the field. The SNAFU in the morning I believe can be more attributed to some of the people using the I forgot to set my clock excuse and just being late. The downtime was horrible to say the least. As far as having finials on the hyperball field lets just say that field is horrible. Way way to busy(to many bunkers). I will say the competition was great. I will also give the refs HUGE credit for doing their job despite the weather.(which was horrible at the minium) overall I think the people were good, the fields were ok, the air was ok(3500 fill, I shoot a trix so for a 7 min game I like to have at least 4k), the paint was ok, the majority of the reffing was good and GPL made due with what they had to work with. We will be there for the next one. Hope everyone else will be too. Thanks GPL for a FUN day. Unfortuneately you cant controll the weather. Congrats to all the teams for making due despite the weather. C you next time.
www.AApaintballpark.com
Great Thanks to The Best Paintball shop in the Baltimore/Washington area
BC Paintball Annapolis 410-571-1156
If you need it they got it if they dont got it they'll get it..
I'LL BE BACK BUSTIN EM UP SPRING 05

Last edited by Geckert : 04-05-2004 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:17 PM #7
chewster29
FREE YAYO

Overall it was good, there seems to be a curse on the GPL first event in terms of the weather though lol. I have played in GPL the last 3 years, and in everyone of them the first event has been cold and rainy/snowy. I gotta say that overall i thought the reffing was very good especially with the weather. Last year that reffing was much worse. About playing the finals on the hyperball field, although we as players may not have liked it, it was the best for finals because on both the other airball fields the wind was so strong for one side that it gave that side a huge advantage. At least on the hyperball field wind was not as much of a factor.Way to go deadcell, good to see u guys placing, same for deadly venoms, i have seen u guys at gpl for a couple years, it good to see u guys r doin well. All in all a good event, we might be back for the next one if we have cash left over from tampa. peace
HOmeLess CrusaDeR #1
GardEn StaTe GanGstAs
Old 04-05-2004, 05:28 PM #8
hybridd11
kracker

Re: Re: Re: question

Quote:
Different refs this year.
i said in my post that i attended last year aswell...
Old 04-05-2004, 06:18 PM #9
djheadkase
o.g. deadcell snakemonkey

djheadkase donated to help Peyton Trent
djheadkase supports Team VICIOUS
djheadkase supports Pev's Paintball
djheadkase is Legendary
cold... f'n.. cold.... but i knew that comin in ( if you played last years global... you may have lost circulation at the 1st one like i did) all in all i had a great time.....

chewy.... crims looks strong... if we dont end up practicing together before tampa... i wish you, matty, kent and the rest good luck and we will see you down there

nppl2.. jersey invasion!

also i would like to publicly like to thank shane and all our boys @ hustlers for watching us in the finals cheering for us and freezing there ***** off... it did not go unnoticed

Last edited by djheadkase : 04-05-2004 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:46 PM #10
chewster29
FREE YAYO

yea see u guys in tampa, ill talk to cj and the boys from delaware and maryland to see if they wanna come up. Ill prolly be there soon anyway, my last day of school is april 30th. talk to me on aim at chewmaster28 if i wanna chat or something
HOmeLess CrusaDeR #1
GardEn StaTe GanGstAs
Old 04-05-2004, 08:31 PM #11
Kdigitalcave

hey LtotheCD56! i watch a game on field 2 where you sent one guy to the fifty w/o a gun and he got the pull. It was so funny casue the guy on the other team was on the fifty too. You dude grab the flag while the other guy was looking right at the flag, and he looked so confused on what to do. I think he thought your dude was a ref until after he got the pull. That was hilarious, b/c until he got the pull i thought your dude had a gun.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:45 PM #12
ImpactkidzJoe
Ride or Die

Haha, yeah that was derek. He was gonna take a piranha w/ him but he thought it was going to slow him down. We had so many gun problems
Old 04-05-2004, 10:03 PM #13
LtotheCD56
Viva la boof

awsome someone saw us our team devises such good plans lol

Go Derek!
Will you marry me? "

NYX Fan #7

~Free Agent~
Old 04-05-2004, 11:13 PM #14
Huge_Cocker

yeah i liked the first event except for the weather. really ****ed up my gun for the last 2 games and we got our ***** handed to us those 2 games. The reffing was some of the best i've ever seen. only questionable call we had i was in a 1 on 5 and i got 4 of em then rubed against the side of my bunker and the ref came and pulled me. it was right on my armband so i either got hit at somepoint and iddnt feel it at all or it was a rub. The refs did their job though and made the call. Weather was absolutely horrible and i really think there were teams that lost simply because the team they were playing had been sitting in their cars warming up while they froze their ***** off waiting.

Overall it was a good event, no problems with paint on sunday, refs were next to perfect which i never see, and i had a good time and plan to come back in may.

leave/view feedback here
Old 04-06-2004, 10:53 AM #15
mquinn96

Good job overall.
For the most part the refs were pretty good, though I thought 6 refs per field was a bit on the low side for a seven man event. Also, a few refs would simply not MOVE onto the field and did nothing but make sure the back players were not getting shot on thier packs....again, this was the exception but there seemed to be at least one of these guys at each field.

MTX Designs LLC.
www.kajohnson.com

My Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1471579
Old 04-06-2004, 11:37 AM #16
crashdan

Annual Supporting Member
crashdan owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
i agree with mike.... the fields did start with 10 refs( we were teh first game on field 1) 10 refs t ostart... by the end 6.... props to those refs who stayed through the weather
Old 04-06-2004, 02:01 PM #17
blizballer13

blizballer13 is a founding member
yo megbyte

Yo Megabyte how about you start up your own paintball series on the east coast, put the GPL out of buisness and then you can open your mouth. All you have is negative s**t to talk about this series. Obviously the promoters are trying there hardest to run an honest tournament and give the players what they pay for.
7-10 refs per field is definatley more than enough to control one field...You have so many problems and complaints with the gpl why don't you take your group of people that hate playing the gpl and bring them along to ref next event.
Alteast you will see from a refs perspective how you can improve the events to better suit the players. All the GPL staff bust their a** to make sure the players have a good tournament. Just being outside for 12-15 hours a day is hard enought and all you want to do is complain about the s**t job they do.
Brian and Cyndi are good people maybe you don't know them well enough to see that. Yes, they are running this league for profit but all the work they put into making sure teams are happy should show you something if you aren't to stubborn to blind yourself of it.

When you work together you will accomplish more than when you devide to take sides!
Old 04-06-2004, 04:10 PM #18
ImpactKid8

guys thats always the way it is up here... i live like 20 minutes away and the weather last weekend was like the worst...lol i dont think it could have gotten much windier. And yes, our team went through many gun problems all day and unfortunatly do not have many backups. so by the last two games we were a gun down and i really felt like trying something new. i became the gunless designated flag puller. I talked to the guy that was snakeside when it happened and he said right as i ran he was using his squeege so i was lucky. I was wearing a ****ty pear of vans so as i made the pull i like slipped and couldnt get any grip so i like ran in place. They eventually worked farther up the feild and some kid got me from the snake i think... right in the foot. The bunkers were reaaaal deflated so i tucked in as close as i could and just had to sit there lol. Then we lost with about 5 seconds left. lol. As for refs... what can i say i mean a day like that your lucky theres people putting there time in and trying to be consistent. There were controversial calls but hey what can you do...
Old 04-06-2004, 05:05 PM #19
*NiTr0*
Ex *********

*NiTr0* is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Yeah that is what I heard. The refs were simply not up to speed. As for the 6 men per field welcome to the debra kimchi school of saving a dime of manpower. Look for more of the same cost cutting measures. Crist cyndi wont even pay for the hotel rooms for the first night for the refs (friday). As for the weather the poconos are deep in the mountains and it will always be strange weather, I guess you have to get used to it or not go. I like the weather further south, which is warmer and usually not as severe.
From what i herd, You wanted cyndi to beat captain carl's PB leauge in your payment for reffing. And you wanted her to have you in a hotel for 3 nights, and pay you more, Hah, If i ran this tournament i sure in hell wouldnt want you as my ref.

Ex moderator
Old 04-06-2004, 05:32 PM #20
Manhuntgames
GDP

i wasnt very happy with the reffing, there was maybe 1 or 2 on each field that was into the game, but when ever a player called for a paint check not 1 reff ran in to check them, otherwise good reffing in that kind of reffing

some bad calls were called on us but refs arnt perfect

overall good day

Redz
Paintballinvasion.com
Del Hobbies
Hustlers
M.I
Old 04-06-2004, 06:37 PM #21
Crim's Skilla
$570$

Annual Supporting Member
Crim's Skilla is a Supporting Member
Crim's Skilla is playing at Living Legends VI
Crim's Skilla owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Crim's Skilla supports Team VICIOUS
Crim's Skilla supports DLX Technology
!

I was pretty happy with the reffing, they did a pretty good job for how bad the weather was also (I'm Sure you will agree lol) cold, windy, rainy, snowy, etc......I was not happy with those ****ing bunkers....half deflated....half out of the ground lol........but what could you do.........thank god they played finals on the hyper field, those bunkers def were not going anywhere....It was fun alot of good teams w/ alot of good ballers!!!!!!!! And ya you actually got your prizes on time (its a freak'n miracle lol) good job CINDY!

P.S. Cindy its nice that you know who I am and there is no blood between me and the SG's they are great guys but just prefer not to play major events lol........I will always have good things to say about them......and I will always have great things to say about my new team.....and they are the best ballers (Crim's that is lol) I have ever played with........

Peace,

Tony
XBOX Gamertag: IIIII TK IIIII