Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-24-2016, 03:23 AM #1
ilikegunz

Tired of naive opinions about mid range markers

Tired of people sincerely believing that high ends shoot better than mid end markers.....

I have a proto rail, an etha, an extcy, a proton, a geo 2.0, bob long victory, an axe, a dm14, and an lv1.

Work at a proshop and have shot Everything. Bottom line. Mid range markers meaning yes my rail shopts just as well as my dm14. A slight difference in shot signature but no difference in accuracy of course..... why do we spend so much more on these high ends when they are NOT truly better.................

Its simple they are Not better. They just have a few meaningless bells and whistles.... am i the only one who feels this
ilikegunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2016, 06:12 AM #2
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

has been a member for 10 years
No.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:22 AM #3
jakethesnake0329

jakethesnake0329 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
jakethesnake0329 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
jakethesnake0329 supports DLX Technology
jakethesnake0329 supports Shocker RSX
I agree with you, owning a highend has that second kind of cool though. Like owning a sports car, even though the speedlimit is 55, its sometimes nicer to have that slightly better view.

For the money I would rather buy a used highend than a new midend but its all preference.

Side note - I find it interesting that DLX claim that their new core has a coating that's been used in real firearms for years and everyone is like shut up and take my money. Similarly polymer frames have been used in real firearms to great success for something along the lines of 25-30 years and yet a paintball gun with a polymer frame is typically frowned upon.

jakethesnake0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:03 AM #4
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
Big Papa Pink supports Ninja Paintball
Meaningless bells and whistles to you are features I enjoy. It really comes down to differing preferences. I can afford those nice features, so I'll continue to purchase high-end markers.

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:17 AM #5
safariguy5
Bear Cavalry

Annual Supporting Member
 is playing at Dead Legends
safariguy5 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
safariguy5 plays in the APPA D5 division
safariguy5 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 supports Ninja Paintball
safariguy5 supports Empire
I prefer things like an OLED screen and no macro line. Of course, everyone is different in what they care about.
Infinite Resistance #21

ASM Jersey Thread
safariguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM #6
syko redman
88 Rules

syko redman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dude chill
Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 PM #7
Sambonila
Bunker God

Sambonila owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Sambonila has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Sambonila supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by syko redman View Post
dude chill
this
Old 05-24-2016, 07:32 PM #8
vitaliaxe
Deadpool with Axe

Annual Supporting Member
vitaliaxe supports DLX Technology
vitaliaxe supports Ninja Paintball
vitaliaxe supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikegunz View Post
Tired of people sincerely believing that high ends shoot better than mid end markers?.....

why do we spend so much more on these high ends when they are NOT truly better.................

Its simple they are Not better. They just have a few meaningless bells and whistles.... am i the only one who feels this
Keep telling this to yourself and you'll be sleeping better ( if you have high end mattress )
vitaliaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:17 PM #9
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius is a Moderator
Fubarius supports our troops
The thing that both frustrates me and fascinates me is how the definitions of "high end" or "mid range" are so fuzzy that they can be almost meaningless.

If I have 3 widgets or doodads, and one is $60, one is $200, and another is $500, the $500 one is obviously "high end", and the $200 is "mid range".

But now lets throw in a silver plated limited edition widget for $800. The $500 widget is now suddenly thought of as "mid range" even though it hasn't changed! It's still as awesome as it always was, works just as well as it always has, but now there's a more expensive version that does the same thing but is more fancy.

Start offering $1500 gold plated signed and numbered widget and some people will even consider the $500 version "low end".

I always felt a 3 tier system was inadequate, considering there can be 5 or more distinct levels. Low, Mid, High, Ultra High, Luxury, and so on.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:55 PM #10
ilikegunz

That made me genuinely laugh. But seriously, literally in terms of respectable and identical accuracy to that of a high end, mod ends accompmish the same goal which is shooting the other person. I have no qualm with people shooting or buying high end guns as i have high ends myself. But i will not pretend that they outshoot my mid ends, because they do not. Most people who truly believe high ends guarantee a better shot ate usually people who have not played long or shot many guns
ilikegunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:30 PM #11
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius is a Moderator
Just think, how many of the so called "mid range" guns in your collection are ACTUALLY "high end" guns that just happened to cost not enough?

Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 PM #12
Magyar86

Well I have a illness, usually when I buy something I tend to buy the highest/best I can. However, especially in paintball, the high end markers aren't going to kill the other person any better than anything else. Now for some, it might be physiological. I have seen this on the paintball field before. Hand a newer player with a low end one of my guns and they instantly become more aggressive and all around better. The gun itself wasn't any better, it just gave them more confidence. This is coming from someone with two M2's right now. No you don't need a high end to play the game well. I can play just as well with a rize as I can with M2. But I can afford it and like the bells and whistles so why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Magyar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:56 PM #13
mattdk82692

mattdk82692 is playing at Living Legends VII
mattdk82692 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mattdk82692 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mattdk82692 supports Ninja Paintball
its like buying a pair of jordans man. You pay for the name and the look but the function is pretty much the same lol
Old 05-24-2016, 11:13 PM #14
vitaliaxe
Deadpool with Axe

Annual Supporting Member
vitaliaxe supports DLX Technology
vitaliaxe supports Ninja Paintball
vitaliaxe supports Empire
There is saying in Russian - I'm not rich enough to buy cheap staff.
Or you you got what you paid for - English
Same thing. Work with everything . Cars, paintball markers... I rather spend little bit more upfront and will sleep better knowing that gun I bought had a less chance to break when I need it most and will be just shooting and shooting.
Those bell and whistles - is what makes live and enjoyment better, fuller.

It's like MasterCard commercials from years back
Luxe ice - $1500
Pooty Poocasso - $300
Rotor R2 - $250
Seeing envy in your opponent eyes - PRICELESS !!!
For everything else - use MasterCard !
vitaliaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 PM #15
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius is a Moderator
Yeah, no envy here. Spending money is easy, anyone can do it.

What have you made? That's what impresses me.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:38 PM #16
safariguy5
Bear Cavalry

Annual Supporting Member
 is playing at Dead Legends
safariguy5 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
safariguy5 plays in the APPA D5 division
safariguy5 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 supports Ninja Paintball
safariguy5 supports Empire
If you're playing recreationally, it doesn't really matter what you shoot. If you're playing a tournament, you'd want something that's reliable and sturdy. And on the off chance you do need to fix something or replace something, ease of disassembly is a factor as well.
Infinite Resistance #21

ASM Jersey Thread
safariguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:55 PM #17
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Just think, how many of the so called "mid range" guns in your collection are ACTUALLY "high end" guns that just happened to cost not enough?
Funny, I've had that discussion a lot about one particular gun out there. The only reason the Axe is seen as a mid-range gun is because they didn't make it cost $1200 MAP. If they'd included the Redline, nicer feed neck, and a full barrel kit, and not offered a base model, I'd bet they could have gotten away with doing exactly that.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:16 PM #18
aclark364
say no to wall hangers

aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
aclark364 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaliaxe View Post
There is saying in Russian - I'm not rich enough to buy cheap staff.
Or you you got what you paid for - English
Same thing. Work with everything . Cars, paintball markers... I rather spend little bit more upfront and will sleep better knowing that gun I bought had a less chance to break when I need it most and will be just shooting and shooting.
Those bell and whistles - is what makes live and enjoyment better, fuller.

It's like MasterCard commercials from years back
Luxe ice - $1500
Pooty Poocasso - $300
Rotor R2 - $250
Seeing envy in your opponent eyes - PRICELESS !!!
For everything else - use MasterCard !
just spending more wont mean you gun is any more reliable. looks at dye. they have a reputation for being problem guns.

Ion/Gear for sale!/spyders
aclark364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:23 PM #19
E1Newb

.. to add a little fuel to the fire.. look at the Gtek Reviews.. mid range gun, high end reliability and accuracy. shoots smooth, the ONLY variation... composite frame, and macro line, and lack of an OLED factory.... otherwise it is a high end marker.

also .. my mid range PE gtek does shoot better and more accurate then my first electro... but considering my first electro was a DP E1... not that hard to beat...
E1Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:30 PM #20
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

So people think after you finish off three members of a tournament team in 45 seconds or less, that your marker must be some awesome badass super accurate gat. You show them an ancient autococker, they think that you must of did something to it to make it a superior marker, but when you hand it to them, it is too big and heavy, and shoots really slow for an electric marker with lots of "kick"; the magic is gone. It was created for you to use. Like Excalibur, the owner is the only one who knows how to wield it. Eventually they figure out, that you are just a killer and design strategies around your elimination first.

But...I've tried rental markers that were lighter than the autococker and people were still trying to buy a $100 marker for $400. Only tell good kids what is really going on and teach them that position and timing is what causes me to make most of my kills.

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Eventually the players that I spend the most time with, will use less and less paint and eliminate more and more people as well as help me improve what little I need to know. The kids with money eventually buy pumps and eliminate people with high end markers on a tournament team. It doesn't matter man. It's a mindset knowing how to play the field. They feel comfortable taking chances with me, because I will not judge them. Instead of backing down from a challenge, they face it head on giving themselves a chance to win against the odds. It is the fastest way to learn in paintball, when the object isn't really to win, the object has turned into a challenge of the mind. I try to make that clear to my team that I picked them because we are going to do something out of the ordinary and probably crazy, that will test the limits of our skill levels.

Players will soon realize that most of the markers are really equalized unless you go down to pump.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 05-25-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 PM #21
E1Newb

... dude.. it's paintball.. no need to go all philosophical/zen on it..

strategy plays a huge part.. a better bore size for the paint your slinging helps, a reliable marker also helps.

E1.. sucks ***, I got more out with the E1 then the rental, and got even better with the Gtek. the main problem I have been seeing lately, even among the rental crowd, is ignoring hits, or "wiping".. of course when I see this .... I light it up.
E1Newb is offline   Reply With Quote