Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 PM #1
joebueno1224

The Good Ol Days

Random post, but I miss when paintball was really popping. I mean POPPING here in my home city. We'd have week long wait lists at our field where I ref'd and it was always so cool to be very involved in something I loved. Went by that same field after being gone for many years and it was a parking lot for a truck company. Times are changing man.
joebueno1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2017, 11:26 PM #2
Mondoatx

Yeah man...

I worked for a local field from 1995-2000 and it was crazy busy... 100 players a session... we would run 2 fields at a time with 50 players on each field...

At that time the owner was leasing the land from someone... and they ended up selling to developers who built an apartment complex where the field used to be.

Got back into the sport 14 years later and the same owner had opened a field at a different location. WAY improved facilities... real deal pro shop... running water and plumbing (not port o lets)... a dedicated gun tech with actual spare parts for most guns (back in the 90s each ref knew how to fix different guns and whoever knew how to fix the gun stayed up and worked on it... and the only thing we had parts for were the tippmans we rented... if you had anything else you better have spare parts)... they also have GREAT customer service now... they also have 50 cal now... and the fields are AMAZING! Oh... and the fill stations are great! Back in the day often you could only get 2500 PSI fills on compressed air and we filled directly off bulk tanks... now they have a compressor and you can get 4000-4500 PSI consistently.

Even with all the improvements though... no way they get 200 players a day out there... the busiest I have seen is maybe half that... and that doesn't happen very often...
Mondoatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:01 AM #3
cheapchi
mmmmmm...Tiger Balm

has been a member for 10 years
As you get older (not necessarily grow up) there will be more nostalgia.

I would agree to some extent that paintball's popularity will ebb and flow. While I marvel at how many choices in gear, playing format, etc but see that at its core it is still the same game of cowboys and bandits that many of us enjoy. Even when all the latest advancements were in the distant future, people came out to play and have a good time. Today, there are more choices as far as how you engage in play and have a good time. I see it as more options causing each one to get a slightly smaller piece of the pie. I gotta say though once you get hooked into paintball there are few thrills like it.
cheapchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 AM #4
Baconpewpew
ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

I agree with you guys.
Of course this is just my personal experience, but I don't see the interaction between players anymore. I just see groups keeping to themselves now a days and it's all about who has the shinier toy. When my friend and I go play we try and engage with strangers and it's usually the dad's playing with their kids that start talking back and we usually end up sitting on the same bench. We try to show my friends teenage son that it doesn't matter what material things someone else has. Just have fun playing regardless what stuff you own.

I met my friend 10 years ago when I first played paintball and we still play together. I don't like to refer to friends as "best friends". But if I had to choose, I would definitely consider him one. The good ol days.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:51 PM #5
cheapchi
mmmmmm...Tiger Balm

Being new to a field can be intimidating regardless of your experience level.

I try to talk to at least a few players I have never met especially if it is a mixed level recball day. Genuine comments like "Great move. Great run. I didn' t expect anyone at that spot" can make a new player's day.

Do what is naturally for you and show new players the basics. Good field managers and owners appreciate it when new players speak well of the regulars being friendly and inclusive. The thrill of the first day of paintball is a once in a lifetime high in my opinion. Those of us fortunate to have good health, get to reach for that over and over again. I would be even more blessed to give my kids a chance to experience it as well and I hope I can be proud when another regular takes a second to talk to them.

Last edited by cheapchi : 01-07-2017 at 08:03 PM.
cheapchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:05 PM #6
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs

^
Friendly regulars and appreciative field owners and referees are what will keep paintball going. Also it would be nice if the best .68 paintball manufacturers like RPS would stop closing down -- God I miss my All Stars -- Talk about the Good Ol' Days my Good Ol' Days were pre-2013 when I could get my hands on some of the best paintballs in the world and one-shot gog everyone
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:22 PM #7
Mondoatx

I try not to be intimidating at the field... especially to renters...

I offer compliments on good moves... am friendly and introduce myself... and offer congrats when someone shoots me out...

I remember what it was like to be a renter (or even a newer player with my own equipment) and how people who had experience could be intimidating.

I try to chat with the renters in the staging area (and everyone else)... last weekend I ended up taking pictures of 2 different families over the course of an afternoon.. because I saw that 1 person was out of the picture because they had to operate the phone... so I offered to take the picture for them...

I owe it to the field owner... he runs a good field and takes care of us... and I owe it to the sport which makes me so happy.
Mondoatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:22 AM #8
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

It has become a little bit better for the certified fields in the area. A while ago, you would show up to a field and just steam roll over everyone and the refs that were playing. Many players and refs would talk as if they knew what they were talking about, but would be absolutely wrong on everything. This was before the internet took off. I only knew about autocockers so much, because of the dedicated autococker forum air-powered.com which does not exist today.

It is still like steamrolling in some places; however, nowadays there is no excuse for ignorance, because of the vast research tool that is available to everyone. People now buy the best marker they can get, instead of some halfway built overhyped marker, and most markers are pretty much equal right now.

The hype is still hilarious to me though, because I was used to going up against electronic markers with a mechanical marker in tournaments. People saying they are out classed by a marker that shoots the same speed and ROF as theirs, is really strange.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 01-08-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 PM #9
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs

It's really too bad that websites in the past don't stick around forever. I remember interesting sites like pbreview.com and pukindogspaintball.com before 2003 that were such a wealth of information (and disinformation/hype from pbreview but still some truthful nuggets mixed in)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM #10
Jessetom

Jessetom owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jessetom supports Team VICIOUS
Jessetom supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Stinkbugs View Post
It's really too bad that websites in the past don't stick around forever. I remember interesting sites like pbreview.com and pukindogspaintball.com before 2003 that were such a wealth of information (and disinformation/hype from pbreview but still some truthful nuggets mixed in)
Man, I clicked the pbreview link to get me some nostalgia, only to find out it directs to ANS now. That speaks volumes about all this.
Jessetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:02 PM #11
Amazon1985
80's Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconpewpew View Post
I agree with you guys.
Of course this is just my personal experience, but I don't see the interaction between players anymore. I just see groups keeping to themselves now a days and it's all about who has the shinier toy. (snipped)

Uhh, hate to say this but even when I played locally back in the late 80's & early 90's that attitude was prevelent. We would get folks who only hung together with those that came with them, several of us would try to go talk to them & get shut/froze out.

I liken back to HS cliques, even 30+ yrs later I see it elsewhere. It will be interesting on when I get my pball guns in (stupid snowstorm) & hit my local field how I'll be treated, guess I'll have to bring my old guns & ICS gear, see how they treat this old warhorse. LOL
I do know I've already seen some freezing out by the field owners towards myself, mainly age related, already.
Amazon1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:23 PM #12
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Did they at least let you be on the other team? Like it doesn't really matter if someone shuts me out, as long as they stick me on the team they think is going to lose.

In one of the completely shut out games about 17 years ago; the excluded bro and I just snuck around, established a strong point, lured them over to our position, and took both of the teams out. We shouldn't of said we took them out and just walked away, because they had no idea what happened until we told them. Walked back to the car with the radio antennae snapped off and the hailstorm damaged car full of paint splats. It was a piece of crap anyway. These people take their games too seriously man. No one was hurt, there was no close range shots. Whatever, I don't think it was worth the property damage. Stupid people goto protect their badass image I guess.

Stupid snowstorm? Only thing that had more adrenaline than paintball was snow sports. At least buy a snow tube or something, bring your kids or grandkids out for an excuse.

Pbreview started to go down around the same time they eliminated the world politics/philosophy forum. Dude, we didn't even care about paintball in there and it felt like debates would go on forever. Once they eliminated the section, there was no bleeding out into the off topic forum, because there were too many people who were just there to troll. The trolling was super hilarious also until the quality trolls were banned. Once they were banned, the flame wars died down and along with it the off topic forum.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:38 PM #13
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon1985 View Post
Uhh, hate to say this but even when I played locally back in the late 80's & early 90's that attitude was prevelent. We would get folks who only hung together with those that came with them, several of us would try to go talk to them & get shut/froze out.

I liken back to HS cliques, even 30+ yrs later I see it elsewhere. It will be interesting on when I get my pball guns in (stupid snowstorm) & hit my local field how I'll be treated, guess I'll have to bring my old guns & ICS gear, see how they treat this old warhorse. LOL
I do know I've already seen some freezing out by the field owners towards myself, mainly age related, already.
Whenever I'm at a new field, I keep quiet but friendly and let my in-play performance and behavior speak for me. Most of all I play for the personal challenge, try to get the flag or eliminate the guy in a humane fashion, and after awhile I get the right respect or warmness to me in the staging area. In paintball I find people young and old value the unspoken qualities of people, that's why I as a quiet person love it so much -- respect is earned, not demanded or requested or spoken about, etc.

Last edited by Pittsburgh Stinkbugs : 01-08-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:34 PM #14
Amazon1985
80's Player

The ones that shut us out were the "newbies" to our field, we were the regulars trying to welcome them. Newbies to our field, not to the sport that is as they usually came from upstate or PA/DC/NJ area. I say that because they had the newest gear baxk then while we were running around with the old guns, like my brass eagle long barrel, the sheridans, etc.

I dont have kids or grandkids so no playing in the snow with them, and its flatlands here while my new hammer sits in the local PO & my (hopefully) new to me alpha sits in the former owner home until they ship it to me. (sigh)
No idea if my local field opened yesterday, we were under a low level state of emergency so the governor asked people to stay off the roads so DelDOT could use their rusty plows. We usually dont get snow so many of the "locals" freak if we get more than a 1/2" of snow.
The PO carrier didnt even attempt our unplowed state owned road, let alone my long unplowed driveway. :-)

And yes, I witnessed 1 time where couple guys got out of hand while playing, 1 went out & shot up the others ride. Was not fun to see or hear the situation afterwards.
To me thats going too far, you do that to my ride, I will be calling the cops in & pressing charges against the field owner until they cough up who really did it. My truck may be 13 y/o but it has less than 60,000 miles on it & is in near brand new shape.
Amazon1985 is offline   Reply With Quote