PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-16-2015, 09:33 AM #1
mueller
hypocriticizer

Reflections on selling paintball gear

Paintball isn't a cheap hobby. I just started caught the bug last fall and learned the truth of that.

Now, I've been flipping things - cars, comics, obscure vinyl, electronics, whatever I'm into that year --- to make pocket money since I was old enough for a paper route (yes, kids actually used to deliver papers, on foot) My ebay score is 4 digits. Not showing off, just qualifying that I've sold a thing or two in my day

So - i decide to sell some paintball gear over the winter, to gear myself and a couple friends up so we can afford to play in 2015. Some observations along the way...

Paintballers spend WAY too much on shipping
Guys, there's better options than "Priority mail flat rate" boxes, please don't pay $12+ to ship a $45 mask - that's your money! Last month I bought 2 bags of paint for $11, guy paid $22 to ship it. Facepalm.
- Use USPS online to print postage and use your own box. It can be 30-50% less than flat rate boxes.
- Trade secret: Use Paypal's "multi order shipping" under seller tools, and you can ship boxes USPS standard mail. It's cheaper than priority & you can only do it through paypal, not even USPS. Paypal has discounted UPS too. Tricky to use out but worth it, and anyone can use it.

Paintballers will not be bothered with your FS rules
I laughed at "my rules" in FS threads.... not any more. Offers for X-boxes and bikes and tax refunds and 1998 Spyder SE's and the GAP sweater you got for Christmas and 30% of my ask, can you ship it to me to look at please.

Ebay too --- in 16 years I almost never got side offers/asked to close auctions, selling paintball gear I'm asked on nearly every auction. Say one thing about paintballers... say they're persistent.

Paintballers don't always check the marketplace
Newsflash to those selling I4's for $45 on PBN: they get $60-80 on ebay. All. day. Even the clapped out ones. Same thing for lots of other goods.

You can clear decent money simply buying here, selling on ebay. It's not a day job but it'll pay weekly field entry. Or if you're selling gear, use ebay's "sold items only" filter to see what it's worth there. Might make a few extra bucks

90% of ballers are SUPER nice folks, but man do 10% of them blow
I'm about done flipping PB gear now, and in that short run I had some of the nicest transactions ever - over the top nice, great communication, thanks much guys. I try to pay it forward helping new guys on my local field, loaning some of the gear I kept.

But when it wasn't good, wow it REALLY wasn't good. Blatant lies, careless packaging, false goods, honestly just bad people. Guys that fall into any bad stereotype you'd expect about paintballers. Really a shame, I'm glad none of them were local to me as I'd hate to play on a field with these bozos. It's disappointing I can't leave bad feedback here without surely getting the same back --- knowing I'd have gear to sell, it just wasn't worth it to me. I get it, admins don't have hte bandwidth to deal with that... just wish it could work better.

Anyway... it's been a good winter run. If nothing else I hope someone sees this and saves money shipping their stuff, man USPS is making a killing on those flat rate boxes.
mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2015, 10:27 AM #2
metallipunch

metallipunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Great post, lots of good info & tips in here. When I flip RC cars/parts I try to operate this same way
metallipunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:31 PM #3
Crice8

Dude your killing me lol. Don't give up all the trade secrets like buying here or facebook and selling on ebay! haha
Crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:10 PM #4
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueller View Post
Paintballers spend WAY too much on shipping
Guys, there's better options than "Priority mail flat rate" boxes, please don't pay $12+ to ship a $45 mask - that's your money! Last month I bought 2 bags of paint for $11, guy paid $22 to ship it. Facepalm.
- Use USPS online to print postage and use your own box. It can be 30-50% less than flat rate boxes.
- Trade secret: Use Paypal's "multi order shipping" under seller tools, and you can ship boxes USPS standard mail. It's cheaper than priority & you can only do it through paypal, not even USPS. Paypal has discounted UPS too. Tricky to use out but worth it, and anyone can use it.
This is one I disagree with. Myself, if a seller is going to ship standard mail, I'll take my business elsewhere. Not waiting 2 weeks to get my stuff, I'll pay $20 more to get the marker in 2 days, or for smaller stuff, $2 more to get it in 2 days.

I accidentally just bought something not long ago with standard shipping, I bought something a week later using priority, guess which one arrived first? Yeah, standard shipping = it better be free shipping, and an insanely good deal or I'd rather move on to another seller.

2014 Vapor for trade only

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:58 AM #5
mueller
hypocriticizer

^ Fair, but to each his own. I could care less when something gets here as long as it's got tracking.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:46 AM #6
BigPumpPlayer

BigPumpPlayer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quit telling people about the ebay flip!
VSC Green/Silver Washed Phantom
Palmers Brass N' Wood 1K Blazer
Twister Ion Pump
Saved for Twister Sniper coming soon!
"I Fight YOU!!! Pew Pew!"
BigPumpPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:13 AM #7
mueller
hypocriticizer

Fair bet that dudes dumping gear cheap here, aren't combing through the rec player subforums to read my wall-o-text musings... but who knows? How wikileaks

Feels like it's the same dozen guys flipping gear hard.. I kept seeing ebayers list items from cheap gearbags that I just missed. "You win this time, unholydemon08"
Old 04-17-2015, 12:05 PM #8
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
People act as if flipping items is new...we've been doing that for close to 20 years now once paintball started getting popular (and ebay was created).

2014 Vapor for trade only

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:03 AM #9
grayparatrooper

I just started getting back into mostly cuz i found screaming deals i cant pass up. I will say people on ebay over pay for things but thats good for selling. i havent sold anything yet but i have been watching ebay prices. A red/fade wgp trilogy just sold for $130 i bought the exact sane model here for $70shipped..wtf ebay people lol
Old 05-06-2015, 10:16 AM #10
sobersteve323
Budget Baller

sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Quote:
- Trade secret: Use Paypal's "multi order shipping" under seller tools, and you can ship boxes USPS standard mail. It's cheaper than priority & you can only do it through paypal, not even USPS.
I wasn't able to find "standard mail" in the list of options. I saw all of the other shipping methods but I didn't see that one. Do you, or anyone else familiar with PayPal, have any suggestions where I might have missed it?

Thanks for the tips!
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:55 PM #11
aclark364
say no to wall hangers

aclark364 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPumpPlayer View Post
Quit telling people about the ebay flip!
dont forget about ebay fees. how ever much they are.

Pump OT
aclark364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:09 AM #12
mueller
hypocriticizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersteve323 View Post
I wasn't able to find "standard mail" in the list of options. Thanks for the tips!
eh, "parcel post". they've been changing the name around in the last few years.

^ yea ebay fees are brutal... I'd rather sell here but it seems like every other transaction winds up being a 7 day negotiation that has 50% odds of the prospect disappearing.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:00 PM #13
DanoPGH
old guy

Yeah I just got back into playing again for fun, I found I get stuff cheaper on here way cheaper than the stuff is going for on ebay.
DanoPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:46 PM #14
Crice8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark364 View Post
dont forget about ebay fees. how ever much they are.
10-14%
Crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:48 AM #15
Dikkens

Quote:
Paintballers don't always check the marketplace
Newsflash to those selling I4's for $45 on PBN: they get $60-80 on ebay. All. day. Even the clapped out ones. Same thing for lots of other goods.

You can clear decent money simply buying here, selling on ebay. It's not a day job but it'll pay weekly field entry. Or if you're selling gear, use ebay's "sold items only" filter to see what it's worth there. Might make a few extra bucks
I realized this back when I had a pawn shop thread and was flipping alot of gear in high school. But of course I didnt share my trade secrets

It goes both ways, though. If THEY knew about PBN, we would have an even better marketplace. Theres also a community aspect to it, though, so I dont mind selling for cheap here instead of ebay"