PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-03-2015, 06:24 PM #1
ekkthree

i'm 40, and my gun is better than i am

i'm forty, back in the sport this year.
now that i'm not a kid, i can afford my own gear that's not toy stuff. ended up with a used axe, rotor, and barrel kit from craigs. not exactly tournament level stuff but worlds better than the rentals and spyders i'd been using in the past. one thing i remember about paintball was that my gun never (ever) shot at what i was aiming at. i mean that quite literally. my one goal was to have accuracy, or at the very least consistency from my gear.

one unexpected side effect is that when walk ons are divided up or small teams made for speedball, i get tossed in with all the other e-markers and their (invariably) hardcore owners. lit up almost every time at the break or within a minute in.

can't very well put me in with the pumps or pubes with rentals either. soo, there's that i guess.

here's to wishing everyone else is overequipped next time out.
ekkthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2015, 09:38 PM #2
GundogHitman
JUSTICE

GundogHitman plays in the PSP
GundogHitman owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
GundogHitman plays in the APPA D4 division
A valid concern/complaint from stepping into the light with advanced equipment. I'm only 33, but I feel my age catching up to me slowly. Gone are the days when I could run back to back points with zero drop in my play performance. I offer these suggestions.

1. Consider it an honor that they respect your build to play with the advanced players. Use your wisdom to play smarter, not harder. And at the least, learn what the younger guys have to teach you. Believe it or not, the game has advanced from it's initial stages. The tactics of the past, may be the reason your not lasting as long in your current matches.

2. If you feel like you belong with the lesser advanced players, then win them over and explain why. Often times I explain to the group I am about to play with that I placed my marker on semi and have no intention of going ham on anyone. Then I end with the statement that I would like to play with them to show them a few tricks I learned along the way. Most groups respond positively to that.

3. In regards to your accuracy issue... you have a great marker. Accuracy should be little issue for you. Invest in a freak barrel system and quality paint and you will be very happy with your results.

In then end, I'm sure your just opening topic as general conversation. Not sure if you were seeking advice, or replies, but there it is. Hope the next weekend is better for you, and welcome back to the game!
GundogHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:18 PM #3
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Nearly there myself. I'll be turning 39 this year, and definitely overgeared anymore. I tried sprinting this past weekend and ended up pulling a hamstring.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 PM #4
seahiker
Off. OT OG forum Tr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree View Post
one unexpected side effect is that when walk ons are divided up or small teams made for speedball, i get tossed in with all the other e-markers and their (invariably) hardcore owners. lit up almost every time at the break or within a minute in. ...
Been there... Walk-ons group A and Walk-ons group B ("high tech").
There is not much you can do, but to play at the same level, the more you play the better you get, trust me.
Try to not be that guy who drives a Corvette in fast lane at 50mph.
Good luck brother and welcome back to the sport.
seahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:32 PM #5
GabeCinSC

Hey, I'm 37 and actually just got into PB about a year ago. I think it's a good recreational thing to keep you in shape without forcing you to do it constantly if you wear yourself out

And as far as what team you go on, tell the refs you're a rec player and not a speedballer. Or hang in the back line and cover your teams flank. I walked out on the field last weekend with a cutom-built 98C and everyone thought I was hardcore. Flat-out told them 'I like to learn with my own gear, just cause it looks nice doesn't mean I know what I'm doing'

And if you're not into the whole 'spray and pray' gig, see if you can get into woodsball or mag-fed/limited paint games. One of my local fields has a mag-fed/pump/LP game the last Sunday of every month, yours might have something similar (or maybe you can start one!)
GabeCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:41 PM #6
ekkthree

yeah, it is what it is. i think it was more a function of the walk ons that day. a lot of newbs and some really good regulars. no real middle ground or weekend warrior types, which i think i belong with. we'll see how it goes in the future or at bigger fields. i'm kind of curious about mechanical markers too, so things may change if i ever buy a enmey or old cocker.....
Old 04-05-2015, 12:45 PM #7
ekkthree

i should add that i wasn't blasted every game, really just the speedball field, actually it was more like hyperball. only 4 per side and still felt really really tight. more fun on the scenario fields for sure. things just move a bit slower with more space.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 PM #8
metallipunch

metallipunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I've been thinking about this in my situation as well. Getting back in after over 10 years away and I have my own Axe and gear but I'm thinking my first game back I may rent a marker so I can play with so I don't get dropped in with the advanced players and get ruined every game all day
metallipunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:02 PM #9
robs45
Big Man

Annual Supporting Member
robs45 donated to help Peyton Trent
robs45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
robs45 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
robs45 is Boss
robs45 supports DLX Technology
is your problem with accuracy, just bad aim, or bad paint, or are you barrel sizing your paint. I am quite older and still luv to play hyperpipe, or 10 man, but luv UWL style woodsball games too. I would look at that as an alternative if you like a more competitive style of play for older generation
Old 04-05-2015, 01:40 PM #10
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is BST Legit
John donated to help Peyton Trent
John is playing at Living Legends VIII
Welcome back!

Don't ever feel bad telling the ref or field manager you are just getting back into it or asking for tips. Most refs are also regular players so they usually will have some tips on staying alive and contributing. Also, if you aren't having fun, don't feel bad about telling the field why. If teams are split up poorly, it's not just you missing out on having fun.

Woods will be a little less fast paced. Different fields will play vastly differently and you'll find ones you are naturally better at while others will take some time to learn.

Don't forget the basics. Spread out. Try to keep your gun up on small fields. Watch where the other team goes. Focus on the biggest threat (or make sure someone else is). Communicate with your team.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:45 PM #11
ekkthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs45 View Post
is your problem with accuracy, just bad aim, or bad paint, or are you barrel sizing your paint. I am quite older and still luv to play hyperpipe, or 10 man, but luv UWL style woodsball games too. I would look at that as an alternative if you like a more competitive style of play for older generation
the accuracy comment was mostly to address why i wanted my own equipment this time around. i can afford it, so no reason not to. the problems in the past were probably a mixture of field guns and field paint. now i have my own marker, but more importantly a barrel kit so yes, i do bore before stepping onto the field. accuracy doesn't bother me anymore.

i had fun guys. i will be going back and plan to have more fun. it was really just the hyperball arena where i was getting owned. the other fields i was competitive and got my share of kills.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:02 PM #12
metallipunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree View Post
the accuracy comment was mostly to address why i wanted my own equipment this time around. i can afford it, so no reason not to. the problems in the past were probably a mixture of field guns and field paint. now i have my own marker, but more importantly a barrel kit so yes, i do bore before stepping onto the field. accuracy doesn't bother me anymore.

i had fun guys. i will be going back and plan to have more fun. it was really just the hyperball arena where i was getting owned. the other fields i was competitive and got my share of kills.
That's the most important part that you had fun and will keep playing. That's my goal as well, even if I get owned as long as I have fun I'll keep doing it
Old 04-05-2015, 07:20 PM #13
cheftony

I'm 27 haven't played since my teens, added about 80 pounds as well. Was thinking about getting back into this sport but this part scares me. Unfortunately I'd be playing alone as well so that makes it a bit more intimidating. Also having zero idea what the current fields are like and what days are best I'm starting to rethink my idea....
cheftony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:40 PM #14
metallipunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftony View Post
I'm 27 haven't played since my teens, added about 80 pounds as well. Was thinking about getting back into this sport but this part scares me. Unfortunately I'd be playing alone as well so that makes it a bit more intimidating. Also having zero idea what the current fields are like and what days are best I'm starting to rethink my idea....
You should head over to your local fields and just walk around and check them out. Walk up the people running the field and chat with them about getting back in. My wife and I have done that at our local stores and fields and everyone we have talked to is very helpful and excited that new people are interested in joining the sport.

As far as weight, I'm in the same boat as you. I've put on about 100 pounds since I last played, but from everyone I've talked to they are very encouraging about getting out and playing. It will be a fun way to get some exercise. Hardest part is finding gear that fits, you will have to spend time doing some research and a little extra to get good gear.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:32 PM #15
Lemmesee

40 years old , just started playing about two years ago and play woodsball only since I like to take my time to flank the other team and enjoy every minute of it , Paintball is a game where age or physical shape don't matter as much since we all run at the same speed : 280 fps , yeah the young kids will sprint to the front quickly but that only puts them within my range right away without me having to strain myself , thank you very much .
Lemmesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:45 AM #16
SocalNostalgia

You could also try using a revy or old school hopper. A lot of times, refs will judge your gun based on whether something high tech is feeding it.
SocalNostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 AM #17
Clark Gryphyn

As another older player who only found the sport within the last several years, I've definitely run up against the problem of my gear creating that aura of "OMG, this guy is going to cream us," especially on days when the field I chose to play at was a little light, and perhaps there were only a few rentals to play with.

Something I found very effective at counteracting this (assuming you have the budget for it too) was to pick up a pump marker. It really helps calm rental player's fears when they see that your marker is technologically inferior to theirs (obviously I'm simplifying here), and allows everyone to have a lot more fun. Having a couple of technological options allows me to tailor my gear to fit the vibe on the field.
Clark Gryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:04 AM #18
metallipunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmesee View Post
40 years old , just started playing about two years ago and play woodsball only since I like to take my time to flank the other team and enjoy every minute of it , Paintball is a game where age or physical shape don't matter as much since we all run at the same speed : 280 fps , yeah the young kids will sprint to the front quickly but that only puts them within my range right away without me having to strain myself , thank you very much .
This
Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM #19
jt526

going on my 27th year playing, and I treat it like golf (which I do not do), super fast lv1, stock class phantom, open class mq'd ccm-ss25, tippmann x7, gog g1, magfed setup, each club has it use. And an appropriate outfit for each from jeans and a Camo Walmart shirt to the latest eclipse gear. Just pick which one is appropriate to the level of play at the field on that day.

Magfed games are super fun, do all of those you can, most seem to allow a 10rd feed tube on a regular gun. Build yourself a sleeper spyder or tippmann or something similar if you want to have the advantages of a consistent accurate gun and still play in the beginner games. Freak bore the stock barrel, replace internals board etc and just keep it looking like it just came from Walmart!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 AM #20
PsychoMag
Put me in coach!

PsychoMag is playing at Living Legends VIII
PsychoMag owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PsychoMag supports Team VICIOUS
41 and have been playing since 1990. Played woods, then speedball since 2000, and now a mixture.

Take your time getting back into it. It can be frustrating playing guys that eliminate you in a minute, but why are they eliminating you?
1. They know the field layout better than you do because they have been playing the same fields a lot longer
Answer: Take time to walk the fields when a game isn't on. It will give you a chance to get behind some bunkers, or other cover to see what your views and obstructions are from that vantage point.
2. Don't be predictable. I eliminate half of my opponents on predictability alone, in the woods and on the speedball fields.
Answer: try to break your habits, think about popping out from behind cover without a timed rhythm, pop out on the right, left, higher or lower. If you consistently expose your profile lower right every 5-7 seconds, I will have balls in the air at 4 seconds.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:24 PM #21
ekkthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftony View Post
one thing i did notice was that everyone looks intimidating with their masks on. in the staging area where you can see faces, it turns out it's mostly pimply kids and middle aged moms and dads just like me. it's really only the private groups of college buds or the office park crew that seem to talk it up, but you're not playing against them.

i walked on as a solo too. after the first hit, the intimidation factor evaporates. as for when to go, i think it would actually be better on the busier days when there's more walk ons. just get a rental and you'll get tossed in with all the kids/newbs. even playing field regarding equipment, but you may have actually have an advantage if you've played before.