PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 PM #1
shawneebear

shawneebear owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
shawneebear supports Ninja Paintball
Field shortage in my area, anyone having the same?

So I moved here not playing paintball but since then decided to play. Since I've decided to play my field has been closed twice once because the owner was out the other is this Sat because of weather. Which really Sucks it's my birthday week and I bought completely back in from scratch.

So I'm thinking no biggie I can find another field... Ya no. So I checked every field.

The two closest to me 1 hour one way an 1 and 15 the other. Panama City Beach FL you'd think if anywhere would have air ball it would be here. No they have a large recball course with lots of rentals.

The field I've been playing at I have to wait for woods ball to end to actually get some people out on the air ball field which is kinda small and bunkers need patches but hey I can deal with that. But when I go out I don't want one or two matches of speedball every 20 minutes I want 5-10 speedball matches with a 10 minute break. That's how we used to play at the field I was before getting out and moving.

So now I'm kinda regretting getting back in I already moved my schedule so next month I'll have Sundays off. I work retail and make most of my sales on the weekend due to traffic. So it's going to sting even more if not only did I waste money getting back in but I'm wasting good work days and closest field may or may not be operating. It storms here every other day...

There are guys out there set up for speedball but they just wait for the matches to be over or go to the woodsball. I myself have went and played woodsball just to throw some paint rather than wait for what seems like the longest drawn out confusing mess I've seen. That's just not my thing...

The others that are an hour each way are both bigger places p-cola fl and panama city beach. Neither has an airfield all rec scenario and even some airsoft

I remember when there were fields everywhere and where I moved from there still are quite a few funny thing it's smaller and less traffic than where I moved to I'm confused...

Apparently there were a lot more around here but they closed.

WTF happened to paintball? Is it too much to ask to spend 3-4k on markers and gear and go out and play paintball? Or do I have to retreat and go buy an airsoft gun because you can do that anywhere a battery and some bbs...

I don't know I just think it's BS. Buying nice tourney grade markers and the best I might get is on a rec ball field with a bunch of 9 year olds. No offense if your younger and yes I have been shot out by a little kid with a 98 it happens. Just less likely, especially if your playing air ball/speed ball whatever the kids call it these days.

That's just my little rant for the day...
shawneebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2016, 05:19 PM #2
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

has been a member for 10 years
Airsoft is boring.

Yeah it seems like most of the old school old dudes have moved back into woodsball. Speedball tends to cater to a younger crowd or the people who can maintain their physical fitness well into their 30s. You can't just let yourself go and expect to keep playing speedball. It becomes really hard to maintain a proper body weight as you age, unless you are already healthy now. I don't think anything is going to help with the deterioration of reaction time. Most older dudes are too weighed down with other responsibilities to keep themselves fit enough for speedball.

The fields have evolved in such a way until recently, that made it extremely difficult to move up the field without killing yourself. The inclusion of coaching in tournaments and the shrinking of mid bunkers probably caused younger players to have an advantage, because they can physically react faster. It also allowed the backman to hose down anyone who decided to do anything interesting. Back in the day, there were so many ways to move up the field. I think the field creators knew what they were doing 15 years ago and there were so many different running lanes, that the frontman could be almost invisible all the way to the 50. Now there are huge firing lanes to run across. You have to be a football athlete if you are going to outrun a lane. I used to think a team was lame that sent no frontman to the 50 on the break. Now you are lucky to make it to the 20 on the break.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 03-11-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:36 PM #3
shawneebear

shawneebear owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
shawneebear supports Ninja Paintball
Agree if the field is setup in the most current fashion which most fields are not. Like my local is smaller and way easier to get to the 50.

Depends on if they have the true tournement bunkers and setup but yes I see what your saying. Even the younger crowd here is satisfied with woods and recball.

I just don't get it. I guess it's a personal thing but I get a better rush, workout and feel when I play airball. It's more strategy than the other two I think in woodsball it's kinda chaotic and the refs can't be everywhere in recball people seem to run around just for fun.

With speed ball you need to have a plan on where everyone is going what lanes to lock down and cross. Plus there's no greater feeling of competition than a true speedball game every kill you get your like ok 6 more nice another 5 more my teams still alive let's get creative in the snake a D side...

Idk maybe it's just me but when I think of paintball it's airball. Woodsball was ok but half the time I ran into un honest players. Getting shot by teammates no one knows what's really going on.

I do see what you mean but hey even a 50 year old man can hold down a lane lol just help him with his refills all good you have a lane blocker all day long...
shawneebear is offline   Reply With Quote