Community Focus

Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 PM #1
dwcroucher
TEAM PHALANX

dwcroucher owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
dwcroucher has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dwcroucher has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
What is a "dead man's walk?"

Piggy backing off the other thread that got peoples thoughts on if it is a good "tactic" or not, people started to debate on what it exactly is so, what do you classify as a "dead man walking?"
Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 PM #2
Nahib_Stilgar

In a true Deadman's walk a player casually walks into the enemy area with his gun down making NO attempt to hide them selves or indicate that they are actually out of play. ie. Hands down, gun down, proper arm tape (or whatever) no barrel bag...and stays quite.

If challenged they must not lie and claim to be either dead, or on the same team as the challenger...

As soon as a player indicates or pretends in any fashion that they are out, or on the same team...they are no longer performing a deadman's walk...
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 PM #3
zing165

zing165 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
zing165 supports Empire
In my personal opinion, a dead mans walk is when a player acts in a way to make others assume he is out or not playing. This includes walking with gun down, strolling through the game as no active player would ect. This in a hope to remain unnoticed by the other team.

This being said, I do not believe "stealth" or sneaking behind the enemy is a dead mans walk.

Nor do I believe pretending to be out is a dead mans walk. That is just cheating.
zing165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 PM #4
zing165

zing165 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
zing165 supports Empire
so.... basically exactly what Nahib said.
zing165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 PM #5
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zing165 View Post
In my personal opinion, a dead mans walk is when a player acts in a way to make others assume he is out or not playing. This includes walking with gun down, strolling through the game as no active player would ect. This in a hope to remain unnoticed by the other team.
What, never heard of the "old man stroll"?

Often when playing I'll casually stroll along all game long. Gun held loose, but ready, not running, not advancing from bunker to bunker or tree to tree. Just walking down the trail or lane watching the action in front of me, finding the easy openings. Letting those who rushed ahead reveal the location of the other team's players for me.

Not trying to be deceptive per se, I'm just not in a hurry. I don't need the glory, I'm not trying to prove how "intense" I am, just there to relax, so I advance in a nice, calm, relaxed manner. This has confused other players in the past though. They make the assumption that all active players are, well, active. Always in "the stance" as it were. Well, that kind of posture hurts my back, so I'll stick to a more natural relaxed posture.

But back on topic.

Probably easier to list what is NOT part of a legit dead man's walk.
If you point your gun up, you've just called yourself out, firing after that is cheating.
If you put your barrel blocker on, you've just called yourself out, firing after that is cheating.
If you've stepped out of bounds, you've just called yourself out, firing after that is cheating.
If you've said you are out, then you are out, firing after that is cheating.
If you've done ANYTHING that per the field rules signal that you are out, then you've just called yourself out, firing after that is cheating.

A player doing a proper Dead Man's Walk must do absolutely NOTHING to actually indicate he is out, since doing so would mean he IS out. If "walking casually" causes opposing players to believe someone is out, then the fault is on those players for making an incorrect assumption.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 PM #6
Epsidufus

Maybe I'm wrong, but a dead man's walk is when you walk down field in whatever manner "pretending" to be out, then once behind enemy lines shooting. As others pointed it out it isn't "technically" cheating as you didn't call yourself out etc, but most people will be pretty POed and you will make lots of enemies fast.

When he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
Just another soldier reporting sir,
I've done my time in hell

How come people STILL spell things wrong when there is an automatic spell check that underlines misspelled words?
Epsidufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 PM #7
r90t
Doc

r90t is a founding member
I do the old man's walk, not worth busting an ankle

Dead man's walk is simulating an out player by walking along oblivious to the game without signaling either verbally or through actions that you are out to gain a tactical advantage.

Though legal, some consider it poor sportsmanship because it gets the rest of the team players lit up when they forget to hold up their gun the entire walk to the dead box.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:51 AM #8
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by r90t View Post
Though legal, some consider it poor sportsmanship because it gets the rest of the team players lit up when they forget to hold up their gun the entire walk to the dead box.
I find it funny that if someone gets "lit up" for not signaling they are out while heading to the dead box it is the fault of someone else.

It's called taking responsibility for your actions. If you are out, the barrel cover should be on and your gun OR your hand should be held up until you are off the field. If you don't do this and you get shot, the fault is yours. If you do follow these proceedures and get shot, the fault lies with the shooter. If you fall for the "Dead Man Walk" the fault lies with you for not verifing they're out or, when attempting to do so you receive no response, for not taking them out somehow. If you're pulling a "Dead Man Walk" and get shot at close range, that's the risk you take.

As for what is a Dead Man Walk, Nahib_Stilgar and Fubarius covered it pretty well.
Robotech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:12 PM #9
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
GhostJedai is BST Trusted
GhostJedai has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai is attending Decay of Nations VII
GhostJedai supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I find it funny that if someone gets "lit up" for not signaling they are out while heading to the dead box it is the fault of someone else.

It's called taking responsibility for your actions. If you are out, the barrel cover should be on and your gun OR your hand should be held up until you are off the field. If you don't do this and you get shot, the fault is yours. If you do follow these proceedures and get shot, the fault lies with the shooter. If you fall for the "Dead Man Walk" the fault lies with you for not verifing they're out or, when attempting to do so you receive no response, for not taking them out somehow. If you're pulling a "Dead Man Walk" and get shot at close range, that's the risk you take.

As for what is a Dead Man Walk, Nahib_Stilgar and Fubarius covered it pretty well.
I got a few dirty looks and obscene gestures last weekend at Jungle Island because a few people were walking toward a bunker, slowly, with no indication of their status. I see a shot on someone that doesn't have their gun or hand up, I'm taking it. Well, probably more than just a single shot, due to people having the tendency to wipe.
Christ Krew #17

GhostJedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:26 PM #10
Robotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostJedai View Post
I got a few dirty looks and obscene gestures last weekend at Jungle Island because a few people were walking toward a bunker, slowly, with no indication of their status. I see a shot on someone that doesn't have their gun or hand up, I'm taking it. Well, probably more than just a single shot, due to people having the tendency to wipe.
I only get upset with someone if they do that to me while my hand is up over my head...that and I'm usually yelling "DEAD MAN!" as I'm walking through places with live players. But if they're making no indication they're out, if they get upset explain to them why you shot them out. If you're dead, act like it. Get that hand up, get that barrel cover on, let the world know you're out.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:58 AM #11
r90t
Doc

Here lies the problem with a dead mans walk in rec ball.

90% of the newer players (at one time or another) don't hold their gun up with a barrel condom on. They shout "out" once. They walk off the field, gun down, heading to the tape and if I put a stream into them, it is really going to ruin their experience. These are the same players that try to take the mask off on the field.
I really don't mind bonus balling people that do not signal that they are out 'cause it doesn't hurt me one bit, my concern is this, experienced players, chasing away the new players because of overshooting. Dumping a stream into a kid who forgot to put his gun up. BTW, I have seen deadman's walk with someone holding their hand up, gun at the side and this is technically legal.

I play pump, my bonus balling is 2 shots. Semi only comes out for big games where people wipe like crazy.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:01 AM #12
Robotech

Quote:
Here lies the problem with a dead mans walk in rec ball.

90% of the newer players (at one time or another) don't hold their gun up with a barrel condom on. They shout "out" once. They walk off the field, gun down, heading to the tape and if I put a stream into them, it is really going to ruin their experience. These are the same players that try to take the mask off on the field.
I really don't mind bonus balling people that do not signal that they are out 'cause it doesn't hurt me one bit, my concern is this, experienced players, chasing away the new players because of overshooting. Dumping a stream into a kid who forgot to put his gun up. BTW, I have seen deadman's walk with someone holding their hand up, gun at the side and this is technically legal.

I play pump, my bonus balling is 2 shots. Semi only comes out for big games where people wipe like crazy.
First, if they are out in the open it shouldn't take a "stream" of paint to eliminate someone doing a "Dead Man Walk". However, if a new player has forgotten to put his barrel cover on and doesn't have his hand up, a ball or two on him as he's walking out will help to remind him of what he SHOULD be doing. This is how I was reminded when I first started playing.

Secondly, the part I put in bold is going to vary from field to field. Out here in CA, a hand up above your head while you are walking on the field IS a signal that you are out and thus is not a legal "Dead Man Walk"...that player has signaled, in some way, they are out and thus, they are out.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:46 PM #13
r90t
Doc

I have seen it in So. Cal. Got shot by the guy who had his hand up, ask him if he was out, and he shot me. Some b.s. answer about the ref put him back in. this was back when I first started playing and it hasn't happened again.

Robotech-u playing big game in 2 weeks at velocity?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM #14
Robotech

Suribachi? No, won't be at that one. My team is going though.

That player is out. I don't care what his answer is. If his hand is up, he's out. That is so crap. THAT'S the kind of junk that gets players bonus balled. What feild was that at? I've played Giant Alpine, Giant Barona, SC Village, Jungle Island, Camp Pendleton, Velocity, the old Tombstone in Corona, and Mr. Paintball...at all those fields a hand in the air over your head as you walk across the field is considered the same as you yelling "I'm out!".

Last edited by Robotech : 02-10-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM #15
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends VII
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Out here in CA, a hand up above your head while you are walking on the field IS a signal that you are out and thus is not a legal "Dead Man Walk"...that player has signaled, in some way, they are out and thus, they are out.
That's how it is at most every field I've ever played at. If you put your hand up, you're signaling you're out.

lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 PM #16
Robotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez17 View Post
That's how it is at most every field I've ever played at. If you put your hand up, you're signaling you're out.
Good to know it's just not here. I've only played in SoCal, a couple Black Cat games up in NorCal at Fort Ord, and OK DDay one year. For all those events, a hand in the air over your head was a signal that you were out too but I have heard some fields state you have to have your gun over your head to signal out and that just a hand won't cut it...which I find VERY odd but I have heard of it once.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 PM #17
r90t
Doc

The one and only time someone has gotten away with it was at Lion's Den when I was just starting out. He pulled a bs move saying the ref put him back in, and I didn't know any better. Ever since, they get a gun on them until the appropriate answer comes out.

I have seen it attempted in the LA area and in WA state over the years.

It was actually a tournament strategy that was discussed, but not implemented in a tournament series that we played in the 90s, as it was very clear that a marker in the air signified that you were out (organizer was a stickler to this) and a pod/hand did not count.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:27 PM #18
Robotech

Quote:
The one and only time someone has gotten away with it was at Lion's Den when I was just starting out. He pulled a bs move saying the ref put him back in, and I didn't know any better. Ever since, they get a gun on them until the appropriate answer comes out.
Sounds like you started playing when I did (I started in the last half of the 80s). At that time, we used a lot of tricks to fool the opposing players that are no longer seen today. (Ever make the sound of changing a 12 gram while playing stock class to fool your opponent into thinking you were reloading air?)

Anyway, I guess those of us that learned to play back then quickly got wise to all the different tricks and adjusted to them. I have walked up to players trying to do the DMW, caught them, and have had them tell me "Aww man...I walked past like 15 guys on your team and you are the only one who caught on to me!" When we have instant respawn at our CP, I tell our security guys "Barrel tag EVERYONE but our General and XO. If they're on our team, they walk 20 feet and are live again. If they're on the other team, you just stopped our CP from being blown up or our General from getting killed."

I think that's what confuses me so much over people who get upset over the DMW. Know what constitutes someone indicating they are out and if someone is walking on the field that isn't indicating they are out, and ignores your challenges to see if they're out, shoot them or barrel tag them. It only takes one shot, no need to light them up, and problem solved. If they were really out, explain why you shot them. "If you are out and don't want to get shot, then indicate you're out. Raise your hand, raise your marker, have your barrel cover on...something!"

Quote:
It was actually a tournament strategy that was discussed, but not implemented in a tournament series that we played in the 90s, as it was very clear that a marker in the air signified that you were out (organizer was a stickler to this) and a pod/hand did not count.
I don't like this and I'll tell you why. For 99% of the people, it works. However, I use to lug around a very big and heavy marker. We're talking 15 lbs here. It nearly required me to have it on a three point sling to be able to carry it all day long. When I would get shot out, I'd raise my hand, move out of cover, put on the barrel cover, let the gun lay across my chest and raise my shooting hand up high over my head while shouting "Dead man" and walking to the respawn/dead box. It was a heavy monster to raise over your head and at 45" long I would be wacking the barrel on everything.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 PM #19
contact paintball

I dead man occasionally but at the field I play at during big games it can be the only way to break up a cluster of guys. I walk with my gun in my hands but pointing down if some one says something shoot them and take out as many people as possible.

I also will keep my gun on someone until I see a barrel cover, nothing makes you feel more foolish than getting dead man walked.
contact paintball is offline   Reply With Quote