Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-27-2008, 08:58 PM #1
Karnokr
HoF

Karnokr is playing at Living Legends VI
Karnokr is playing at Living Legends VII
Question Best barrel kit out there

Just got my PMR SE Camo, now I want to buy a barrel kit. Money is no issue. I've narrowed it down to a few, but need more opinions from people that actually use these barrels. I am probably picking between these;

1. Planet Eclipse 5 pc kit
2. Custom Products 4 pc kit
3. Buying Dye backs for my stock 2 pc barrel
4. Buying 2 or 3 more 1 pc barrels

I'm looking for about a .685, .689, .693 bore sizes. And I really like the camo on the Planet Eclipse kit, it's a little different. Any opinions will help. Thanks.

Oh yeah, and don't say anything about using the search option. I have yet been able to use the feature because there is too many people on the forums and I'm not a supporting member.
Karnokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2008, 09:30 PM #2
Paintballapro2
Wootsauce!

stiffi kit. its rediculously light weight and it has 4 or 5 inserts depending on whether or not you get the 5th insert. its a bit pricey at 190 bucks for a kit but you can find one used for 120-130. Thats what i just got and i put a cocker threaded breach on my ion too so now my timmies and ion all use the one stiffi kit.
"You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field with your head held high, and it doesn't matter that you failed a test, didn't get the girl, or that you got a ticket on the way there . . . your world is right for the next couple of hours."
Cocker Haiku
Did it work before?
You screwed with it, didn't you?
Got what you deserve.
Paintballapro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 PM #3
pbmaster132435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballapro2 View Post
stiffi kit. its rediculously light weight and it has 4 or 5 inserts depending on whether or not you get the 5th insert. its a bit pricey at 190 bucks for a kit but you can find one used for 120-130. Thats what i just got and i put a cocker threaded breach on my ion too so now my timmies and ion all use the one stiffi kit.
FYI: even when it says more than 1500 online, the google bar that it brings you too searches pbnation, not all of google.
pbmaster132435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 AM #4
Terrorfakt
High Fiven' White Guy!

what? How is that even related to the thread? Anyways, let's see some responses, I really want to know what everyone thinks as well!
Terrorfakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 PM #5
RygorMortis
Glock the Earth

has been a member for 10 years
Sly and Orbium are the 2 best out there, followed by the Scepter, and you dont have to use the search function to scroll through a few pages of threads and find that this question has been asked several times before

Guns only lead to problems…But when they come we will be ready to blow their freaken heads off
RygorMortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM #6
iday10
Insane in the Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RygorMortis View Post
Sly and Orbium are the 2 best out there, followed by the Scepter, and you dont have to use the search function to scroll through a few pages of threads and find that this question has been asked several times before
Not correct, but very close. The Orbium2/3 and Sly are the quietest and most accurate barrels out there (Orbium may be a bit more accurate, but is a tiny bit heavier) and the Scepter is the best value barrel out there. In terms of flat out performance, the Scepter is a bit ahead of the middle of the pack, but it isn't as accurate as ultra high-end kits like the Orbium, TI longbow, and Sly

Huzzah for Epic MD Mod Thread!

Macdev Militia
iday10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 PM #7
Nomahsib

Annual Supporting Member
Nomahsib is an NCPA player
Nomahsib plays in the APPA D4 division
Nomahsib is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Nomahsib is Legendary
Nomahsib is Boss
Nomahsib supports DLX Technology
A lot of people will tell your that the barrel they use is the "best barrel kit". Truthfully, you will get a biased answer from everyone on here as they will most likely just tell you to get the barrel that they have. Most barrel kits perform pretty close to each other, after all, that's why they are called barrel kits.

Nomahsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 PM #8
RygorMortis
Glock the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomahsib View Post
A lot of people will tell your that the barrel they use is the "best barrel kit". Truthfully, you will get a biased answer from everyone on here as they will most likely just tell you to get the barrel that they have. Most barrel kits perform pretty close to each other, after all, that's why they are called barrel kits.
Im pretty sure they are called barrel kits because the function as a kit, or collection of barrels given that they come with several different bores, and in some cases, different length fronts

Also, it just means you have to look for people who give more in depth reasons that simply stating "The Sly kit is amazing and accurate and quiet" while not comparing it to anything else. Back in the day there were a few of us on here who had shot most of the barrels out there and people knew who we were and that made it easier to identify who was giving an honest review and who was just touting their own purchase

Guns only lead to problems…But when they come we will be ready to blow their freaken heads off
Old 04-28-2008, 06:47 PM #9
infamous16

lol why did you buy a pmr if money is no issue?

I have had alot of luck with cp, try to get a stiffi front for kicks.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM #10
Karnokr
HoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous16 View Post
lol why did you buy a pmr if money is no issue?

I have had alot of luck with cp, try to get a stiffi front for kicks.
Because the best barrel kit out there is worth every penny, and not many top $200. The best guns out there cost way more. Besides, I'm newer to paintball, bought an X7, big mistake, liked how the Camo PMR looked, found one new unwrapped with a new Reloader B for $290, and bought it. For the price, tell me what gun is better. And include the $100 hopper.

I was looking at a CP, but then saw the Eclipse kit. There are a lot of choices out there, I just want to spend my money wisely. Are there any cons to a carbon fiber barrel kit? And why are the backs so short on the Stiffis?

Oh, yeah, I did flip back through the barrel threads, 12 pages to be exact. Saw not one thread saying best barrel kit anything.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:13 PM #11
infamous16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnokr View Post
Because the best barrel kit out there is worth every penny, and not many top $200. The best guns out there cost way more. Besides, I'm newer to paintball, bought an X7, big mistake, liked how the Camo PMR looked, found one new unwrapped with a new Reloader B for $290, and bought it. For the price, tell me what gun is better. And include the $100 hopper.

I was looking at a CP, but then saw the Eclipse kit. There are a lot of choices out there, I just want to spend my money wisely. Are there any cons to a carbon fiber barrel kit? And why are the backs so short on the Stiffis?

Oh, yeah, I did flip back through the barrel threads, 12 pages to be exact. Saw not one thread saying best barrel kit anything.
alot of used timmys are around there....especially alias's.

My 2k2 performs better than my friend pmr se, but it doesnt matter because you arent going to go buy a different gun just for me saying this, and that isnt what this thread is about.

and hoppers dont need to be $100, i got my halo b for $40 used.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 PM #12
Karnokr
HoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous16 View Post
alot of used timmys are around there....especially alias's.

My 2k2 performs better than my friend pmr se, but it doesnt matter because you arent going to go buy a different gun just for me saying this, and that isnt what this thread is about.

and hoppers dont need to be $100, i got my halo b for $40 used.
I"m a bargain shopper all the way, so I firmly believe in used items. But for some reason, I wanted to buy a new gun this time. So I guess I was asking for a comparison of a new gun.

Anyways, so many choices. I checked out the Orbium, pretty nice looking. But I don't believe I have a use for 3 fronts. I was going to stick with a 14" front, but wanted options on the backs. Are the Scepters good for the money?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 PM #13
Nomahsib

Annual Supporting Member
Nomahsib is an NCPA player
Nomahsib plays in the APPA D4 division
Nomahsib is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Nomahsib is Legendary
Nomahsib is Boss
Nomahsib supports DLX Technology
Scepters are amazing for the money. They shoot accurately, are one of the cheaper barrel kits, and the company has amazing customer service. It's the barrel that I currently use, but it's not the best in terms of performance. For the price you pay ($109 shipped for all 7 inserts, barrel, and case) I find it very hard to beat. Of course, if money weren't an issue there are other barrels I would take over it from experience.

Nomahsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 AM #14
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by iday10 View Post
Not correct, but very close. The Orbium2/3 and Sly are the quietest and most accurate barrels out there (Orbium may be a bit more accurate, but is a tiny bit heavier) and the Scepter is the best value barrel out there. In terms of flat out performance, the Scepter is a bit ahead of the middle of the pack, but it isn't as accurate as ultra high-end kits like the Orbium, TI longbow, and Sly
QFT

Id still take a TI or Orbium kit over a Sceptor anyday.(If the money is available)
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:47 PM #15
EvilOgre8705
BBC!

EvilOgre8705 plays in the APPA beginner division
Whats wrong with the FREAK??
Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM #16
RygorMortis
Glock the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilOgre8705 View Post
Whats wrong with the FREAK??
poor quality control, they simply are not made that well and the honing is not done as well as most other barrels on the market

Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM #17
cyrus-the-virus90
Yes you like mr bunny

cyrus-the-virus90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RygorMortis View Post
poor quality control, they simply are not made that well and the honing is not done as well as most other barrels on the market
The SS inserts arn't too bad, I haven't had a chance to test them yet though.
cyrus-the-virus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM #18
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey plays in the APPA D5 division
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
I like the Pepper Stick kit because of the longer backs.

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
2k5'd Timmy FSO - Bring me Xmas funds
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 PM #19
xsn0man
I bleed burgundy and gold

the orbium, sly, and Ti longbows will give you the best performance period.

the scepter has great value, but it does not perform up to the level of the others.

^^i figure the more people say it, the more people will accept it.

Freaks are ok, but they are expensive and have poor quality control. the SS inserts arent any better, they just swell and contract less due to heat. theyre not bad barrels, the tolerances are just too lose to advise anyone to gamble and hope their inserts are sized correctly.
How many "looks like an shoebox shocker and karni had a baby" threads does it take to prove most paintballers are idiots?
IMP Parts Sale!
xsn0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:01 PM #20
nightr1der
The Sarge!!

nightr1der owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
i don't have any experience with the highend kits but i have used the scepter, freak, and evil pipe kit. out of the 3 i would pick the scepter(wish is still had it dammit it was one of the 2k kits with cocker threads and would fit my pm7) but i currently use an evil pipe kit on my ion and a ul on my pm7 and the evil pipe kit is a pretty damn nice setup for the 50 bucks i paid for it off the nation. i can pretty consistently peg hoppers, heads and gun barrels sticking out from bunkers with it. and that to me is the idea of a good barrel kit. the freak i had sucked personally wasn't much better then my stock cocker barrel just kept the balls from rolling out.

my recommendation is decide how much you want to spend first and then go from there if you don't play all the time is it really worth the 200 bucks for the high end stuff? honestly if i can find it i may buy another pipe kit for my pm7
THE FEW. THE PROUD. THE MARINES.
Ollie Lang DM8 for sale
nightr1der is offline   Reply With Quote