PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-11-2005, 02:15 PM #232
Mkriegs
Allegedly Famous

Annual Supporting Member
^right, you can't dye stuff white. Its impossible because there is no opaque dye. The dye stays inside the pores but for it to be opaque you'd need it to be on top of the pores.

but for making flames you would probably be better off using an airbrush or that spray paint that bonds to plastic (but then your gear will probably smell for a while)

Last edited by Mkriegs : 04-01-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Mkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2005, 09:52 PM #233
Grubby

has been a member for 10 years
should i dye my halo shells black or just use matte spray paint on the inside? kryon makes a plastics spray paint i was considering.
Grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:52 PM #234
mikey7
Paper Planes

mikey7 plays in the APPA D4 division
i did my bolt macroline and halo chell and grips !!!

PINK im me for pics at angelballer77
Old 03-22-2005, 11:31 AM #235
harpo568 (Banned)

Recent dye jobs:
Dyed a new white superfly cocker bolt.Red flames and a Celtic/tribal pattern under the back block. (I leave the area that passes over the eye alone so it doesn't affect the eye readings)
Dyed a set of green sticky grips using red dye...the red completely displaced the green color.
dyed a set of DYE clear grip panels red to clear.
redyed a DK green Proteus a deep dark red with a splash pattern (this is the 3rd dye job on this mask...it's my test mask for ideas) it now has 3 layers of patterns in the dye.
dyed a set of clear HALO shells blue/red.(Broke 1 shell 2 weeks ago)
redyed 1 HALO shell purple (was one of the blue/red shells).
Dyed a clear HALO drive cone purple
last week I did a set of White HALO shells with red, blue and purple dyes.I can't get a good picture that shows the marble like coloring but I'll see if it will come out better in daylight instead of indoors and try to get it posted.
Friday evening I did 4 sets of clear Extreme Rage grips
1 dark purple splash (put them on my Impulse)
1 vertical blue ,clear and red with clear splash and a tiny purple highlight around the red.
1 red to clear
1 blue outlined on 3 sides with clear center.
I'm sure I've forgotten something but you get the idea.

Dye projects in the works:
This morning I'm working on another set of DYE clear grips panels...I've got the back and DYE logo masked off and just put the first of 3 layers of liquid masking on the front.
I haven't decided on colors or pattern yet but I'll probably have them done by tonight.

working on a white ORRACLE bolt.putting a teams initials on the back half and probably a flame pattern in 2 colors on the front.

Working on another clear Proteus with white visor.I've run out of the material that I do my splashes with so it's kind of on hold for a little while. Right now the plan is to do a 2 layer splash (1 inside and 1 outside) and probably a 3 or 4 color dye on it and do the visor to match.

I'm working on making a set of replacement grips for my PTP E-Mag out of white acrylic that I'll probably dye a couple of shades of blue with a brush and splash pattern or something that matches the gun.

NEAR Future projects:

2 sets of clear HALO shells for my boss.

clear Egg shells (as soon as I can get my hands on them)

Working on buliding a clear plastic (polycarbonate or acrylic) case for my Stainless Freak set (I have 4 or 5 fronts and 3 backs right now and not enough room for everything) that I'll do some sort of dye on.

Dye a set of Warpfeed shells and hose to match either my E-Mag or my Warped Tippmann A-5E project gun.

several other masks and grips.

Whatever else I can get my hands on long enough to throw into some dye.

Last edited by harpo568 : 03-22-2005 at 11:41 AM.
harpo568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 PM #236
dyeplaye9264
What's up?

dyeplaye9264 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2 lazy to search this thread, but can i do this to my dye stickies?
dyeplaye9264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:12 AM #237
wings of fury (Banned)
werd.

your a lazy idiot.... if you read the post RIGHT above yours you can see harpo just said that was one of his completed projects
wings of fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:28 PM #238
1337proph3t (Banned)
Banned

1337proph3t is a Supporting Member
hey harpo, i am going to dye my yellow-clear fade invision black this afternoon, and i was wondering if there is anything specific i should know?

my plan is to put the recommended amount of hot water in a five gallon bucket,(with dye) and put my mask frame (minus lens) in the dye bath, and swirl with a wooden dowel until the frame is sufficiently dark.

will the dye attack the foam or glue that holds it? i planned on simply rinsing it out really well with water, and maybe a little soap, and squeezing the foam out and letting it dry.

any input is appreciated.
1337proph3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:03 PM #239
harpo568 (Banned)

looks like you've about got it covered.just make sure that when you think you have all of the dye out of the foam you rinse it out some more. after my first mask dye job I ran into that problem... and the first person to wear my mask after it was done wound up with a nice set of one inch blue stripes across his forehead and cheeks that lasted several days.BTW this happened at a torunament.

NOTE:
I'm headed to S. Dakota for about a week...I'll check back in when i get back.

Last edited by harpo568 : 03-26-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:23 PM #240
1337proph3t (Banned)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by harpo568
looks like you've about got it covered.just make sure that when you think you have all of the dye out of the foam you rinse it out some more. after my first mask dye job I ran into that problem... and the first person to wear my mask after it was done wound up with a nice set of one inch blue stripes across his forehead and cheeks that lasted several days.BTW this happened at a torunament.

NOTE:
I'm headed to S. Dakota for about a week...I'll check back in when i get back.
dude, thanks bunches, ill post pics when i get it done.

lol that would look pretty funny, actually...
Old 03-26-2005, 09:10 PM #241
harpo568 (Banned)

One thing I've found with black RIT dye is that it comes out more like a dark purple than black...also the yellow has a lot of red in it and comes out with more of an orange color...
when I get back I'll be trying a couple of things using black inks instead of dyes...
Old 03-26-2005, 10:39 PM #242
wings of fury (Banned)
werd.

my experience with the rit black usually turned out brown first
Old 03-27-2005, 01:19 PM #243
1337proph3t (Banned)
Banned

it turned out really well, actually.

if you look at it in really strong light, you can tell its really dark purple/red, but it looks good and black. the only problem is that the frame is still glossy, and the rest of the mask is matte, so it looks a little weird.

i may dye it again, or two more times, but for now its good, because the invision is slated to become my backup in a couple more months, as it doesnt fit me and i am getting a profiler.

many thanks once more for the tips.

edit: pics up in a thread.

Last edited by 1337proph3t : 03-27-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:46 AM #244
soupmaker

Rinsing in the sink?

Doesn't that stain the sink?

I Like Lego's !!!!!!
soupmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:28 AM #245
wings of fury (Banned)
werd.

nope
Old 04-01-2005, 02:41 PM #246
Mkriegs
Allegedly Famous

Annual Supporting Member
a pod that I did this morning:

(yes, I suck at making flames look nice)

I left the pod in for like 20 minutes and it was a weird plastic so it didn't dye very well

I used scotch painters tape to mask off the flames and just drew the pattern in pencil, used an exacto knife to cut out the pattern and sprayed over the pod with that spray paint that bonds to plastic. (note: spray paint goes on thick, so just use one coat or spray over the finished product with a clear coat)

the revy lid that I was talking about earlier:

(I forgot to clean the part beforehand)

all I did was dye about 2/3 of it red and then hang the other half by a string into the pot and tried to move the lid up and down in the pot periodically to give it the fade effect.

Last edited by Mkriegs : 04-01-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Mkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:49 PM #247
smartball

I know this is sorta off topic but would the RIT dye or any dye for that matter thats cheaper than $75 hold up to gas fumes on say a dirt bike tank. I currenty have a blue tank, and i simply want to dye it black, but im just worried that the dye will discolor or something when the gas fumes permeate the tank, cause it does happen
Old 04-02-2005, 08:21 AM #248
harpo568 (Banned)

I'd use the Krylon plastic bonding paint...but you might want to try it on a piece oc scrap plastic first..
Old 04-02-2005, 12:25 PM #249
smartball

well i know the paint bubbles up, i've read tons of peoples attempts fail with that o well i guess ill just try to dye an old tank i have.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:44 PM #250
rushedadrealine
Rocking the Shocker

Hey this is prolly a really dumb question but can u dye like say a stock barrel on the wrath i didnt kno b/c its black and its steel so please let me kno and what about the aluminun bolt (barrel may be aluminun idk) ne help will be greatley appreciated
Dynasty Fan Club Member #162
You dont win a war by dying for your country but, making the other basatrd die for his
rushedadrealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:44 PM #251
rushedadrealine
Rocking the Shocker

Hey this is prolly a really dumb question but can u dye like say a stock barrel on the wrath i didnt kno b/c its black and its steel so please let me kno and what about the aluminun bolt (barrel may be aluminun idk) ne help will be greatley appreciated
Dynasty Fan Club Member #162
You dont win a war by dying for your country but, making the other basatrd die for his
rushedadrealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:01 PM #252
wings of fury (Banned)
werd.

you cant dye metal only plastic... metal goes through the process of anodizing and thats A LOT more difficult