Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-05-2001, 10:12 PM #1
KMA

KMA is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
KMA supports DLX Technology
Arrow The "low-down" on the Intimidator

Guys,

I'm very seriously considering buying an Intimidator. I would like to ask a few questions, and hope to get insightful answers.

- How big is it? Heavy, light, small, large, manuverable, unwieldy...?

- How does the reliability compare to other high-end guns?

- Will new ones come with the semi-only boards?

- How does the trigger compare to other great triggers. (e.g. Angel, Matrix)

- Are they easy/difficult to work on?

- How are the stock barrels? How do you add an aftermarket barrel without it looking silly? (not matching the gun's ano)

- How is the efficiency? Shots per 68k/3000?

I think that is about it. If you have any other insight, please feel free to offer it up.

Thanks!
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
R&M Paintball - Headrush - BlackSheep
100% Positive Feedback
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2001, 02:17 PM #2
Morphious

All I can say is just find somebody that has one and try it out. By that you can make you decision. Like how heavy it is or how much of an efficient gun it is it is.

As far as the Semi Only Board I have no idea if it will be included in the newer guns it might be an option. You would have to talk to Delta on that. All I can say is I have one of the first that was ever produced or sent to anyone. We got 2 of the first 3 that were released for test or something. All I know was that I was blessed with one of these board to try. All I can say is great things about it. I have increased my Rate Of Fire, and I think it has helped the guns performance.

For Barrels sometimes they match sometimes they don't. I have a Solid Black one so it is easy to match.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:44 PM #3
KMA

KMA is a founding member
Unfortunately I haven't been able to run into anyone with an Intimidator. The fields I play at only have Angels, Impulses, Bushies and Cockers as typical high-end guns... We don't have any stores that carry them around here.

I was hoping someone who is familiar with several markers, including the Intimidator, could give me a general overview and comparison.

Anyone out there able to help?

Thanks!
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
100% Positive Feedback
Old 06-06-2001, 10:28 PM #4
chubbz187

where do you live? There has to be another feild or store in your area. Look around and see if there are any feilds or stores with in an hour and a half away or less.
kapp drop zone 2 cradle
Old 06-07-2001, 11:22 AM #5
Morphious

OK, first off you are in the Intimidator forum so you will be getting a lot of Bias opinions. So here is mine.

I have played with Angels, Cockers, Defiant, Bushie's, and several others. I have chosen the Intimidator because it like the way it plays and fits my style. With the ACE (Anti-Chop Eye) you get the benefit of not breaking paint at high rates of fire. I have never had any problems with the gun that weren't my fault, and it has never let me down so far. I have had mine for about 6 or 7 months now. Some people don't like the grip frame because of its shape, but it works great for me. I had mine on a 68 ci 3000 psi tank and was getting about 800+ shoots with the LP Mod. I set my dwell to 14 ms input pressure at 195 and LP at about 70.

I think that the Angels are over priced and people will still buy them because they think that they cost the most so they are the best. The Cockers will never Die, but I think that they are not as popular as they have been. As for Defiants and Bushies are about the same and are great guns. The Matrixes are nice, but I think they still have a few bugs to get out. Now the Excalibers are Nice, but I think that they are a little expansive to. For the Intimidator you get the fire modes, and the ROF. In addition on the Intimidator you get the ACE with all of the other options.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:06 PM #6
KMA

KMA is a founding member
chubbz187:

I live about 20-30 minutes northwest of Binghamton, NY... I've played in a tournament at GRC (in Belfast NY, about 2 hours west), and also been there when 10 amateur teams where practicing. There were a whole lot of Angels, Cockers, Bushies, Impulses and I think I even saw an Excalibur, but no Intimidators. I wanted to get some opinions before driving a long distance, so I can reduce the risk that it is not even close to something I am interested in. I work a lot of hours, and I am a father of two (one 3 years old and one 4 months ), so I can't really afford to just jump in the car and drive a total of three hours unless it is really worth it... I also play at EMR in New Milford, PA. I like that field, but it doesn't seem as "hardcore" as GRC, as far as equipment goes. But there are a lot of nice guns. I'll be playing there on Saturday, so if any of you Intimidators owners live nearby and would like to play, come on by!

Morphious:

I realize this is the Intimidator forum, so I'll take that into account. Thanks for the opinions! That is the sort of stuff I am looking for. 800 shots out of a 68/3k doesn't sound too shabby. How about the guns weight? Are you still using the stock barrel?

Anyway, thanks for your input.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
100% Positive Feedback
Old 06-08-2001, 02:42 AM #7
chubbz187

KMA im sorry if my suggestion was of no help to you. Maybe this information can help a little. The Timmy weighs 2lbs. 8oz. right out of the box(with out a tank, drop forward, grip, or a hopper. All of these things effect the weight.). its 22.5 inches long with the stock barrel on it. All I can say about the trigger is that its fast and with the right trigger job (which you can due yourself) and the new board the timmy gives the angel a run for its money.

Hope this helps you in your decision
Chubbz
kapp drop zone 2 cradle
Old 06-08-2001, 11:01 AM #8
KMA

KMA is a founding member
Thanks for the info Chubbz! I am really close to making a decision, and I think I am leaning towards the Intimidator. It is jam packed with features, it appears to be a high quality gun, all while delivering on performance.

I have mixed feelings about the gun's appearance... Actually, the fact that many people don't like how it looks may make it more attractive to me. I have a funny quirk (I'm not sure whether it is a good or a bad thing) where I like having things others may not. I tend not to buy the things "everyone" else buys. My Rainmaker is a perfect example of this. There is no doubt it has its faults, many of which are easily fixed, but there is no getting rid of the fact that it is made by BE. There is something gratifying about taking out players with much more expensive markers... I have nothing against people with high-end guns (heck, I want to be one soon), but there are some which I know dislike BE (and other lower-end manufacturers) for the simple fact that they primarily make inexpensive guns. It was fun working on the stock gun, which is a decent performer, and making it shoot terrific.

In the end, I like a nice looking marker, but that is definitely secondary to performance. I wouldn't call the Intimidator ugly, more like unique looking.

Thanks again for the help!
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
100% Positive Feedback
Old 06-10-2001, 08:05 PM #9
Morphious

I have used the stock barrel a lot, but now I use a CP Pro set I prefer it over the Freak. Like I said it is all on personal preference. The stock barrel is Medium bore and shoot great. I just use a larger verity of paint so I need other barrels.
Old 06-17-2001, 02:37 PM #10
KMA

KMA is a founding member
<beginning of brain dump>

I'm not sure anyone has the answer to this question...

Why aren't more Intimidators sold? It seems like a terrific gun for the money... I was/am considering a Matrix, and there is so much more activity in that forum, which I am assuming is because there are more being sold.

Maybe it's marketing? I'm sure the Matrix is a great gun. It may possibly have a few quirks since it is new, but they may be due to improper use. Who knows? I know there was a lot of hype and buzz around when it was coming out.

Maybe it's looks? Could it be that most people just don't like the appearance of the Intimidator?

Maybe it's a combination of a bunch of things? I don't know, but I wish I did. I wish I knew that it definitely is one of these reasons, so I can make a freakin' decision on which marker to buy. I'm indecisive by nature anyway, and this isn't helping. I have it down to the Timmi and the Matrix. Hmmph. I think I know the positives and negatives of both guns, but still can't decide. The littlest thing could sway me either way. I just keep going back and forth, Matrix or Timmi...

Matix, Timmi... Matrix, Timmi... Timmi, Matrix...

Please don't tell me I'll have to buy one of each! I'm picking up a new minivan in two weeks, and I just can't afford it.

Maybe I'll just buy an Excalibur? nah.

<end of brain dump>

Whew, sorry guys. I had to vent to someone, and my wife is tired of hearing about it. A divorce would cost much more than ten Excaliburs, so I had to post about it here. Hope you'll forgive me.

Take it easy.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
100% Positive Feedback
Old 06-17-2001, 03:45 PM #11
gatorchris
BS unnecessary

Most of those posts are either problems or questions about upgrades. I wouldnt base post count at pbnation as part of the reasoning behind spending 800 bucks on a paintball gun. I personally think the matrix is ugly, and I think you can only get it in black and chrome, may be wrong there, but thats all I have seen. I was seriously thinking of getting a matrix after seeing the vid on warpig about it. It looks like a very low maintenance, fast electro marker. From what Ive read about the timmy its about the same, most problems with it are user error in setup. What gives me the edge here is if you have a problem with the matrix, you gotta call diablo and get who knows for a tech. You get a problem with the Timmy, you call the guy that designed and built the damn gun! I cant think of a better sales pitch than that. Second is looks, Ive always liked the Timmy, but I think 98s look pretty good too, so people say I have a thing for ugly guns. Guess what, Im not spending money to please other people :b Other than that, Id say performance wise they are about the same, accuracy is going to be paint to barrel match, dont go into it thinking its going to shoot every paint with the stock barrel like its a laser. I dont think youll have a problem with either gun keeping up with your finger, so speed shouldnt be a factor. Last factor would be air, Ive read that matrices are gas hogs, so if youre in a position where you pay per fill, you may want to consider that heavily too. Good luck, and with either gun, just remember to have fun with it.
Old 06-17-2001, 07:22 PM #12
KMA

KMA is a founding member
Anyone know of a "pro" review of the Intimidator online? I've seen one or two... Why hasn't Warpig , PGI, etc... done one? Anyway, no biggie, I just was in the mood for some light reading.

Thanks for your input, gatorchris. I appreciate it.

Take it easy.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
100% Positive Feedback

Last edited by KMA : 06-17-2001 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:51 PM #13
chubbz187

Thumbs down Re "I personally think the matrix is ugly"

thanx gatorchris if you wouldn't have said i would of had to
kapp drop zone 2 cradle
Old 06-21-2001, 08:42 AM #14
Vern1
Timmy - WooHoo!!

Vern1 is a Supporting Member
Vern1 is a founding member
Vern1 helped look for balloons
Hey Chubbz,
Did your Timi work for ya Sunday?
Petty Paintball - www.pettypb.com
Old 06-21-2001, 02:04 PM #15
Smirnoff1886
**Fear This**

KMA i feel ya on having a lower-end gun and raping people with it, its a very satisfying feeling
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10300
Old 06-22-2001, 04:24 AM #16
Generation

KMA: i have owned both a timmy and a matrix. While both are great guns the effiency on the matrix isn't the best. If you feel like getting more than 200 shots (exagerating...barely) out of a 68/3000 go with the timmy. If they get the effiency fixed on the matrix go with that. The main differences between the 2 guns are the amount of "kick" provided. While the matrix has barely any (which is very very nice) the timmy has " a LOT" Though if you are a stronger person unlike weak little me you can keep the gun steady while shooting streams of 10 balls in 1.5 secs. But all in all I would probley go with the Timmy just because it has more features and you can do the low pressure mod..which in my opinion is a must. Well i'm kind of blabling off here and i'm about to pass out from sleep dreprevation anyone please post anything that i may have left out between the differnences of the 2 guns. well hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:29 PM #17
KMA

KMA is a founding member
Generation:

Does the LP mod take away some of that kick you were talking about? Maybe a lighter bolt (delrin?) would help too? I would definitely prefer little to no noticeable kick. Currently, my gun has very little, for many different reasons, but mostly because it weights a ton! (good 'ol inertia)

Thanks for your input!

Take it easy.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
100% Positive Feedback
Old 06-22-2001, 03:15 PM #18
Generation

Well When i did the LP mod i didn't notice any difference in "kick" But i have heard that the mountain delrin bolt takes away almost all of the kick. I replaced my bolt with a spyder Lightning bolt and that still had most of the kick but providing A LOT more airflow. Oh yea NICE thing about timmy's are interchangeable spyder bolts and threaded for cocker barrels. Just go with the timmy there is no reason why you would be dissapionted.......well I just bought a new Micro E-mag So i'm going to mess with that for a bit too. Wonder how much of a diff. is between all 3 of the guns...oh well
Old 06-24-2001, 03:28 PM #19
bratch

what do you think of the emag my timmy has been giving me hell and i'm thinking about going back to a good old mag
Old 06-24-2001, 03:55 PM #20
Generation

I'll give you the low down on the emag as soon as i try it out. I should be getting it tomorrow in the mail as long as fedex doesen't screw it up AGAIN!! Anyways I'm on vacation right now in LA so I think I'll go test it out at SC village....been hearing great things about it. Also I have just bought another timmy.....heh just missed my old one too much. Knowing me I will probley end up buying another matrix since i sold my last one I'll post my little essay as you can call it on the diff. between the emag and the timmy. I'll post specs and pics of my new timmy when i get it too