PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-02-2004, 10:51 AM #1
angelsellout

has been a member for 10 years
xball scheduling for LA

I have a love/hate relationship with the scheduling for Xball. On one hand, I love the fact that games don't start until noon every day, but on the other hand, I'm wondering, why don't we start games at 8 and finish up early every day instead of starting late and finishing at potentially 10pm, 11pm, and even midnight?

Sunday in particular is bothersome due to the fact that finals aren't slated to begin until almost 4pm. With flights to catch Sunday night, some of our rostered players will be missing finals provided we make it that far. If semifinal and finals games started at 8am or even 10am, we'd be in a much better position to finish out the tournament.

This is not a criticism of the level of effort that has gone into scheduling refs, fields, etc, but more of a "why?". In fact, I'm more than appreciative of the fact that the scheduling has been provided beforehand with a lot of thought given to brackets, etc.

For people like me that work 9 to 5 jobs, it's bad enough that we have to take of 2-3 days to make a tournament but with the current scheduling requirements, it almost requires 4 days of vacation just to play 1 tournament (Wed to fly out, Thur and Fri to play, and Monday to fly back because I have to make sure I have all of Sunday for finals).

I would love to play Xball for a living, but unfortunately, I have food to put on the table and bills to pay. It's almost unfair that Xball is geared towards people in school or people who can afford to skip school and people who have the financial freedom to miss work or work exclusively in the paintball industry.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2004, 01:14 PM #2
saM!
ninjalicious

saM! is a Supporting Member
saM! is a founding member
I think if it were up to PSP we'd all have an earlier start. I think the late start is because horses run the track mid-morning.

Xtopia/Suncity Paintball
Old 03-02-2004, 01:42 PM #3
GZ-Lou
Mi Hueng Lo

Yep, the horses run until 11 something in the morning and we cannot enter the track area until around 12 I believe.. This is the only event that has those time restrictions, all the other events had 8am start times.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:18 PM #4
Booya39
STORK

Booya39 is a Supporting Member
Booya39 is a founding member
Booya39 is a Professional paintball player
I just became aware of this and it's rather sad.

They definitely screwed alot of people on flights. Normally you can get away with having a flight at 9pm at night... that's definitely not the case for this event.

If you think school is hard, try being stupid.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:07 PM #5
AJ2271
Act Your Wage!

AJ2271 is a Supporting Member
Does this only apply to X-Ball teams? What about the 5, 10 man and the NXL?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:37 PM #6
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Eh?

DIII is done at 1 PM. DI is done at 2:30 at the latest. DII will probably be done at 4 - one game at 12:00, the 2nd at 1:30, and the third at 3:00. Note that the schedule says the games will be started as soon as the teams are ready.

So, unless you're one of the FINAL two teams in DII, you'll be done at 2:30. I have no idea where you would have gotten the idea that you could expect to make the final match and be done prior to 2:30. Or 4:00 for that matter - which is when the final DII match should be done.

10-man may be a little more hairy, but I'd guess would still be done by 6. That's only 2 hours later than things finished up at Cup last year.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 03-02-2004, 07:07 PM #7
angelsellout

i'm playing D2

and the last game for D2 is listed at 3:45pm. I will of course pray that things run smoothly and ahead of schedule, but I've yet to attend a tourney that ever ran ahead of schedule.

There are 5 matches scheduled for XBall Finals. I think it's perfectly within reason to assume we'd be done early considering there are 3 fields. Didn't XBall at World Cup finish in the morning? However, with the horse races, it all makes sense now.

I should also point out that most of the LA airports don't have flights past 6pm going back to the Midwest/East coast. If you work bright and early Monday morning like many of us working class stiffs, you're pretty much hosed on Sunday finals if you're fortunate enough to make it that far. With a 2 hour pre-flight checkin that means at a minimum, you need to get to the airport by 4pm Sunday.

I guess I just wanted to vent my 2 cents because as the sport grows, all I see is the scheduling getting worse and worse. More teams = more games = more fields = more refs = more time = longer events = me not being able to play competitive paintball.

I know...cry me a river.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:22 PM #8
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
And...?

Why would you expect that you'd be done on Sunday with enough time to get to the airport by 4 PM?

That's just not a reasonable expectation for playing a national-level tournament if you make semis/finals. You're going to have to choose between missing work on Monday or playing finals on Sunday if you want to keep playing national-level events.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 03-02-2004, 09:11 PM #9
angelsellout

isn't that the point?

I think that's my point. I have to miss Wednesday, Thur, Fri and Monday to play 1 national tourney? Avg middle class worker gets 2 weeks paid vacation a year. You do the math. I remember when I was in school, it didn't really matter how many classes I skipped. Exchange classes for mortgage on a house, car payment, children, spouses, etc. Is paintball becoming the sport that only kids and the uber rich can succeed at? I love the game, and I'm willing to make the sacrifice, but at what cost?

I'm not alone in this sentiment am I? Surely I can't be the only person that feels stretched by this scheduling.

And as a matter of fact, the past 2 years of playing NPPLs and PSPs has left me with plenty of time to get to the airport even after making finals. Yes, making it by 4 based on my past experiences was a reasonable expectation.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 PM #10
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Hey man, I sympathize...

But it's all about choices and priorities.

If you want to play national level paintball, and you're not lucky enough to be a student or rich, then ya gotta switch jobs. Or start your own business - like a paintball field. Take unpaid time off. Spend less money on other things.

If you really want to play national level ball, but you've got a 9-5 job, you gotta ask yourself: "Why am I staying in this 9-5 job?" If you're not willing to make changes in your life to do what you really want, only person at fault for that is yourself.

Hell, if you look at all the big name paintball businesses today, you know what the owners all have in common? Back when they wanted to play more paintball, instead of saying "Man, I'd sure like to play more paintball but I ahve this 9-5 job", they said "Man, I'd sure like to play more paintball, and if I got rid of this job and started selling paintball stuff I could do it."

An X Ball tournament takes 4 days to run - there ain't nothing to be done to change that. Since the X Ball tournament ain't gonna change, you're gonna have to if you want to do it.

- Chris

Old 03-03-2004, 04:48 AM #11
GZ-Lou
Mi Hueng Lo

Hrm, I have flown out of Ontario for the last three years on Jetblue Redeye at mid night and arrived early AM at JFK.. Look around for the right flights ahead of time or leave a day later.. I usually end up leaving on mondays out of Orlando because of lack of night flights. Just make sure to check all airlines and options, maybe the more expensive flight is a better choice for you since you have time restrictions?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:28 AM #12
ft57

Annual Supporting Member
ft57 is a Supporting Member
Re: Hey man, I sympathize...

Quote:
Originally posted by raehl
But it's all about choices and priorities.

If you want to play national level paintball, and you're not lucky enough to be a student or rich, then ya gotta switch jobs. Or start your own business - like a paintball field. Take unpaid time off. Spend less money on other things.

If you really want to play national level ball, but you've got a 9-5 job, you gotta ask yourself: "Why am I staying in this 9-5 job?" If you're not willing to make changes in your life to do what you really want, only person at fault for that is yourself.

Hell, if you look at all the big name paintball businesses today, you know what the owners all have in common? Back when they wanted to play more paintball, instead of saying "Man, I'd sure like to play more paintball but I ahve this 9-5 job", they said "Man, I'd sure like to play more paintball, and if I got rid of this job and started selling paintball stuff I could do it."

An X Ball tournament takes 4 days to run - there ain't nothing to be done to change that. Since the X Ball tournament ain't gonna change, you're gonna have to if you want to do it.

- Chris
Wow. Please tell me it was a big joke or that you forgot to have your coffee in the morning, because that doesn't make much sense at all. I thought you're supposed to "live to play, not play to live." Like as in live life to play and have fun... NOT play just so you can live your life. How realistic is it for people to change jobs or just start selling paintball gear so that they can play a national tournament? Or open a paintball field so that they can play a national tournament? Aren't field owners supposed to work on the weekends, like both Saturdays and Sundays? Isn't that a bit extreme? I'm not sure it's as easy as you make it look... to simply throw away one's career just to play paintball? Are students supposed to drop out of high school/college so that they can play national events? Or maybe students should go on the 6-10 year program so that they can take fewer classes each semester and practice/compete in more national level tournaments? How can something be fun, when it's turned into a chore or a job just to have fun? Well now all I got to do is sell my businesses and quit my job, then call up the L.A. Ironmen and tell them to give me a spot on their team. This way, I won't have to work anymore and just be a professional paintballer for the rest of my life.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:28 AM #13
Cajun

Preach to Chris. If you want to play at the National Level, screw the job and just go and shoot people. That is what it is all about. Not about sorry prizes or some hotties. Wait, the hotties are important.

See you suckas at the party.
www.fortpaintball.com
www.texasballers.com
Old 03-03-2004, 08:56 AM #14
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Re: Re: Hey man, I sympathize...

Quote:
Originally posted by ft57
How realistic is it for people to change jobs or just start selling paintball gear so that they can play a national tournament?
I didn't say it was realistic, or easy, just that it is necessary. The original poster was complaining that it was difficult to have a 9-5 job and play national-level events.

How many Pro paintball players have 9-5 jobs outside of paintball? How many Am? How many Nov? How many Rookie (and how many of those play a whole season?)

The answer is very few, especially for Pro/Am and season-long players.

If you want to play a season of national-level events, you can't have a 9-5 job. You gotta choose what you're going to do, and if your priority is going to be playing a season at the national level, you're going to have to change things in the rest of your life to do it.

- Chris

Last edited by raehl : 03-03-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:11 AM #15
Jonesie

Wow, I really respect you, Chris. But I've gotta say that I totally disagree with you on this. I have a 9-5 job AND am in college full time. I manage to make it work, but being employed by a school-system helps. June/July off, paid sure helps.

I may end-up taking some unpaid time, and that's going to be hard, but it's what I'M willing to do. Not everyone is.

And to say the least, there aren't enough industry jobs for all the players who want/do play a season of national competition. Most fields MUST be open on the weekends. The field that sponsors my team is going to be very thin on employees this weekend because of LA.

Just my $.02 ~ Dave
Old 03-03-2004, 12:03 PM #16
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Right...

I don't think we disagree that much.... I should have said traditional, inflexible, all-year 9-5 job.

Being a student, or having summers off, or having a job where you've got flextime, all make playing tournaments easier. I'm not saying you can't have a job and play, just that if you have a job that's getting in the way, and paintball is that important to you, you need to find a job that works better with paintball instead of expecting tournaments to be scheduled around 9-5 jobs.

- Chris
Old 03-03-2004, 12:17 PM #17
Jonesie

OK, your clarification makes much more sense. You initial arguement seemed WAY irrational.

I know that I would gladly work a couple 10-hour days a few weeks before an event for some comp time, allowing me to take the extra days off. But not all employers will allow that.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:12 PM #18
Takedown

Takedown is a Supporting Member
Takedown is a Professional paintball player
Takedown is attending Decay of Nations VI
I think what Chris was trying to say is exactly my feeling. If you want to play national level tournament paintball all season you have to make sacrafices. You have to sacrafice your family time on weekends for practice, and even midweek if you play multiple times. You have to sacrafice paid time off for paintball trips, which in turn means less vacation and sometimes you have to sacrafice better grades/advancement in a company to make these events. It's all about whether or not you are committed to making the events and doing what it takes to win. If you just want to play 1 event then book your flight for Sunday afternoon, you most likely won't make finals and you can make your flight. However if you are committed and there to win then book the flight really late on Sunday or early Monday morning go to the tournament and kick some ***.

The time restrictions are a result of the horses on the track. The PSP is lucky to have the facility to run the tournament, but they have to make some changes for this event, one of which is the timing. If that conflicts with your work/school/etc then maybe the PSP is not for you, at least the LA event.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:19 PM #19
OCK-Derek
SD Aftermath

Steve i say you go for it...ill support you 100%. I think you can do it.