PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-11-2014, 02:09 PM #1
pballrocks118716
eBay feedback 227+/0-

Rotor vs Prophecy vs Spire

I am getting a new hopper and want to know which one is the best choice!
pballrocks118716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2014, 02:10 PM #2
codypb14

I would suggest the Virtue Spire
codypb14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:13 PM #3
pballrocks118716
eBay feedback 227+/0-

Also if there is another hopper that you would recommend besides the rotor,spire,and z2 please let me know.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:25 PM #4
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
You're going to get 10 different answers from 10 different people...

That said, my preference is Spire > Z2 > Rotor.

I love my Spire and my Z2, I hated my Rotor. Did nothing but jam with ultra small paint (which <.680 was all I was getting at the time), holds less than a locklid so every time I'd refill I was throwing paint away (I use locklids), and to fix issue #2, became one of the largest profile hoppers available.

I still have my Z2, and usually my wife uses it as her main hopper. I've actually been using my original Prophecy as my main hopper recently, but just to test after upgrading to the Z2 back bone. I'll probably go back to the Spire as my primary soon.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:41 PM #5
AxeAttack2

Depends on what positions you play but DON'T GET THE ROTOR it is old technology and I just don't like it but that's my opinion. I just recently bought a Prophecy Z2 and have used one in the past and I loved it! Have not used the spire so can't say anything besides the fact that it looks the sexiest!
AxeAttack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 PM #6
Traje

Traje is playing at Living Legends VI
Traje has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Traje supports Empire
My hopper of choice (and the only one I've kept for myself and not immediately resold) is the Z2. Rotors are fine, Spires are pretty, but for what people want to buy/sell them for here on the nation...you can't beat a Z2. You can buy one for $80 practically in the box....that's almost half of what ppl are asking for a Spire, and they're solid hoppers. I have nothing against the Rotor, I've never had a problem, but I prefer the Z2.
Traje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 PM #7
Snodpops
Shambala

Between those three, you can't go wrong. But I think each has a couple unique perks. I have a rotor, but I would go for the Z2 because you can pick up one used in good condition for the cheapest. $80 Z2 vs $100 for a rotor vs. $140+ for a spire

I've never used a Spire but it definitely wins the cool contest. They demand the highest price, but I'm not sure if anything about them is really better than a rotor or z2 other than that it is soft on paint. Spires just seem kind of to be looks>function and having to mess with sensitivity settings sounds more complicated than it's worth.

I like that with a rotor theres one button to push and its on and ready. it definitely feels the most solid and the 3 AA batteries last forever. it's force fed, and the mechanics behind the feeding are by far the best and fastest but ultimately doesn't matter they all feed faster than you can shoot. Has a reverse lever on the bottom that is reliable for clearing any jam but is no rip drive like the Z2 to actually keep feeding balls if you run out of battery.

Even though i have a rotor I want to get a Z2, but i'm not sure I would get a Z2 over a rotor if i didn't already have one. I bought a rotor as soon as I saw it, it was just that revolutionarily different from loaders previous to it. But now it is no longer the newest and coolest thing. You can get one at a good price and I just like the look of the Z2 more than a rotor. I grew up with halos and it just improves on that design. While the rotor is stout and thick plastic and the Z2 feels pretty thin, I feel like the Z2 would be lighter over all. But honestly a full hopper of paint is heavy and the differences between the weight of the loader are not going to matter.

Rotor is probably the more durable, simple and reliable loader, but it doesn't look as cool. It's force fed and feeds much faster and is fun to put a pod into it and run the paint back into the pod over and over again.

Z2 is a good price used, has a classic design that is in my opinion the best looking. You can get a new camo one for $99

Spires have sensitivity settings to adjust. supposedly softer on paint but I don't see any teams using a rotor or z2 having problems with brittle paint.

Last edited by Snodpops : 08-11-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Snodpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 PM #8
Snodpops
Shambala

The Machine Gear loader looks like a good combination of all three but you'd have to get that new at $200.

Here's a good thread several posts down comparing Spire to Rotor. http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4241625

Z2 is a good happy medium, for cheaper.

Here's a video of a Rotor feeding 30BPS on a NT10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Ux..._NGLDsc5En1kYQ
Snodpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 AM #9
Jeffro2912
Combat Panda

Jeffro2912 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jeffro2912 plays in the APPA beginner division
Jeffro2912 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Jeffro2912 supports Empire
I had a rotor, loved it, but wanted to try a z2. I recently acquired my Z2 and I really can't tell a huge difference between the two. They both feed paint as fast as I can shoot it, relatively close in weight, and both are quite durable(although the rotor is more so).

The biggest thing for me is the look, the rotor is downright ugly to me and the z2 is pretty slick looking, although the spire takes the cake in the looks department.

Moral of the story, they should all perform well in anything you would ever need them for.

MERICA'
Jeffro2912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:26 PM #10
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
dreadmuppet is BST Trusted
dreadmuppet is playing at Living Legends VII
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Rotor. Simple on/off (no programming is a good thing!). Simple dis-assembly for cleaning. Batteries last a year. Rock solid. My oldest one I have had for three years, before me it had at least two other owners. It has only jammed once, and that paintball was so malformed it would not have rolled through a paper towel roll.

The only negative is the capacity, and hell, I could solve that if I was not too lazy and/or cheap to buy the high cap shell.

Also...
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4069443
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4241625
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4083798
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4290345
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4278145
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4214345
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4312129
REC BALL AND SCENARIO TEAM
IF I DO NOT SHOOT YOU
MY TEAMMATE WILL
eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 PM #11
paintball_fanatic123

I like the spire the best mainly because of it's weight and how easily it feeds paint. But the rotor is a good choice too, can't say anything about the prophecy, haven't owned one haha.

Marker Tune Ups Here!!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...497&highlight=

Deals on Dye Markers! Come Look!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...9#post85797489
paintball_fanatic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 PM #12
pballrocks118716
eBay feedback 227+/0-

Thank you everyone... I have just purchased a z2.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:30 AM #13
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
For the next person who clicks, copying my last good post:

Personally, I use the Z2. I'll just list pros and cons. I won't list CS because it's about equal between the three.

Spire
Easy disassembly
Easy use
Simple maintenance
Will feed through anything including grass, sticks, and broken paint
High rates of issues

50/50 chance of having a bad board
*Inconsistent if it has a bad board or cone
Battery life varies hopper to hopper, horrid on some great on others

Rotor
Simple to disassemble
So durable it's stupid
Great battery life
Easy to use
Incredibly fast

Jams much more often than the other two
Heavy
Small capacity
Unjam is relatively ineffective
Lid tabs wear down relatively quickly and no longer hold it down

Z2
Quick storage area access
Massive lid opening
lowest profile of the 3
HIGHLY effective unjam
Fast
tons of settings

tons of settings
Complicated disassembly
Prone to coming apart in bad dives
Much easier to break than the other two (still not easy)
Speedfeeds and stock lid pop open very easily because of magnets, friction lid costs $

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'll add more if I think of more. I got rid of my Spire for my Z2 because my Spire needed tons of parts replaced, then I busted my Z2 when I got pissed and punched it in the back of the loader. I haven't owned a Rotor, but I've played with a few and while I do like them the small cap, new price, and jamming issues (I play with bad paint sometimes) turn me off. If you're going to be playing with round paint though, you can pick up a used Rotor for $75-$110 and it'll be a workhorse. That's honestly what I'd suggest if you're technically challenged or don't want to deal with a potentially finicky hopper.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote