ReplyNews Ups

Old 08-10-2014, 05:55 PM #43
rob1525

Annual Supporting Member
rob1525 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
rob1525 plays in the APPA beginner division
rob1525 supports DLX Technology
rob1525 supports Empire
Infamous showed so much promise during the first event. Sad to see them just go down hill from there. Something is off with them and its time to mix things up. I will be interested in seeing who will stick around after the season.
rob1525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2014, 05:56 PM #44
Ianjoh09

nooooo infamous
(> )>
*\)\)
Ianjoh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 PM #45
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I do think it would be a better system if the challengers had to beat the champs to get in, rather than simply being top two. Bottom 4 and top 4 still play to narrow it down to two of each, but then rather than being a lock you played a champ vs challenger game to determined who goes up and who goes down. Dynasty may have still gone down, but it seems like you would earn the spot more of you won/lost against the team being bumped up/down.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:18 PM #46
NickTom503

Lang as a back guy is not the smartest idea! Maybe they are all getting old.
NickTom503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:30 PM #47
timmyfreak15(2)
nickhammonddesign.com

timmyfreak15(2) is an NCPA player
timmyfreak15(2) plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2 View Post
I do think it would be a better system if the challengers had to beat the champs to get in, rather than simply being top two. Bottom 4 and top 4 still play to narrow it down to two of each, but then rather than being a lock you played a champ vs challenger game to determined who goes up and who goes down. Dynasty may have still gone down, but it seems like you would earn the spot more of you won/lost against the team being bumped up/down.
This makes sense and would be interesting to see. I had an incredibly hard time understanding your post though and it took me almost 5 reads to understand ha
H O M E / S H O P / A B O U T / B L O G / C O N T A C T
timmyfreak15(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:41 PM #48
BIGCAN-RULES
#UNDR #ACPB #HK

Annual Supporting Member
BIGCAN-RULES plays in the APPA D4 division
BIGCAN-RULES supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTom503 View Post
Lang as a back guy is not the smartest idea! Maybe they are all getting old.
It must've been a different lang I saw working the middle
Old 08-10-2014, 06:43 PM #49
L_x
Alex Hodge

L_x works for a Paintball manufacturer
L_x posts videos on PbNation
In recent years Dynasty seem to be winning based on consistency, by placing at individual events and winning the series. What does them bumping down to Challengers do for their series points they've accumulated so far? Or is there no series champ for the challengers div?

Alex Hodge | Freelance Industrial Designer
Facebook
Portfolio
Youtube

Any posts I make are from myself as an individual and do not represent the views of the companies I design for.
L_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:20 PM #50
BluStreak081

All tournament Dynasty kept losing players on the break and couldnt get any kills themselves. Spika didnt really do anything all tournament. I cant remember the last time he was noted for playing well. And they have had a problem with penalties every loss they have had.

I managed to make my wife a Dynasty fan and we were going to go to cup to see Dynasty compete for the cup but now she doesnt want to go.
BluStreak081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 PM #51
Maxy Mistakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I wouldn't mind if the top two Challengers and the bottom two Champs from the previous event played on Thursday of each event to determine who plays in which division.

However, it would be a crime to do away with relegation all together. So much more pressure and drama this way.
The only issue I could see potentially arising with this is the field layout. I don't know how long it takes to grid and set up a field but I know if I were a coach, I would want to play this match on the previous event's layout. So if this is going to be implemented (which I hope it isn't) the teams going up and down should at least still be decided at the end of each event.
Maxy Mistakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 PM #52
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_x View Post
In recent years Dynasty seem to be winning based on consistency, by placing at individual events and winning the series. What does them bumping down to Challengers do for their series points they've accumulated so far? Or is there no series champ for the challengers div?
How would a series champ for Challengers even work since the best Challengers teams should be playing at least some events in Champions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStreak081 View Post
Spika didnt really do anything all tournament. I cant remember the last time he was noted for playing well. And they have had a problem with penalties every loss they have had.
Spicka had one great point with Yosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy Mistakey View Post
The only issue I could see potentially arising with this is the field layout. I don't know how long it takes to grid and set up a field but I know if I were a coach, I would want to play this match on the previous event's layout. So if this is going to be implemented (which I hope it isn't) the teams going up and down should at least still be decided at the end of each event.
Why should it be on the previous events layout when they are trying to determine the 10 best teams to play in the next event?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:52 PM #53
NYEric

Dynasty found out how rough the format can be!

Is everyone sleeping on the " 2 teams of Russian players in the Pro Semi-finals" fact!?!

Good luck NWO!

John, Who are you playing for at Cup!?
NYEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:03 PM #54
bigntastyeclipse08
Kingkongpb.com

You should not get a "second chance". It is unfair to the challengers teams. All teams know how it works. Win or you get bumped down. It seems perfect how it is, and unfair/idiotic to change it and take away a win from one of the challengers teams. They worked just as hard to get where the top teams are at. If the top teams can't stay there, well thats unfortunate.
bigntastyeclipse08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:05 PM #55
greenvertboy

greenvertboy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
greenvertboy is reppin' sidebar 4 life
greenvertboy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
greenvertboy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
This is the craziest event in memory. Amazing.
I'm not so sure about that... or maybe you're just getting older...

I seem to remember some pretty crazy events... off the top of my head:

The NPPL Boston that rage won. Top 3 or 4 there were unexpected.
Infamous' first event
The NPPL in the Midwest with the infamous "Tie"
Maybe the PSP at Nemacolin when the Russian Legion won D1/Open that event.

I know I'm forgetting some other crazy stuff.
greenvertboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:07 PM #56
seemlessstate
Resident Beekeeper

seemlessstate owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
seemlessstate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
seemlessstate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
This is the best layout of the season. its a perfect blend of the long strategic games of MAO, mized with the aggressive move up snake plays of Chicago.

Kudos PSP, this looks like an amazing feild.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:20 PM #57
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Racso is Legendary
I was talking about something like this the other day about how relegation shouldn't be tournament by tournament. Lets say a team plays great for the first few tournaments, then all of a sudden has a bad tournament right before cup, that means they don't get to play cup? This is pretty much the case; Dynasty came into this ranked second, and now wont play cup? Something is really wrong here.

Lets look at the other possibility for the challengers division. Lets say a challengers team plays horribly, then right before cup just happens to win. Now all of a sudden they're playing cup with the champions because of one lucky event.

My proposal was to have a "season" before Cup, then the bottom ranked teams based on season standings play for relegation right before Cup, and vise versa for challengers. Then Cup could be played like other pro sports tournaments, and we could have a true single season champ, rather than having our current "World Cup Champs" and the "2014 Season Champs."

Additionally the top seeds would get a first round bye or something to award their great season.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM #58
Maxy Mistakey

Why should it be on the previous events layout when they are trying to determine the 10 best teams to play in the next event?[/quote]

If I were a challenger team that had just earned one of the two promotion spots on the basis of five games on a layout and someone said to me "almost there now you just have to beat a champions team on next event's layout", I would go Mike Bruno on them. How is it fair to decide something so crucial as promotion/relegation on a team's first competitive game on a new layout? Especially considering everything that got the two teams into that game was based on performance on a different layout.
Maxy Mistakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:39 PM #59
allout2
unsung zero

allout2 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
allout2 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
allout2 is attending Decay of Nations VI
allout2 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso View Post
I was talking about something like this the other day about how relegation shouldn't be tournament by tournament. Lets say a team plays great for the first few tournaments, then all of a sudden has a bad tournament right before cup, that means they don't get to play cup? This is pretty much the case; Dynasty came into this ranked second, and now wont play cup? Something is really wrong here.

Lets look at the other possibility for the challengers division. Lets say a challengers team plays horribly, then right before cup just happens to win. Now all of a sudden they're playing cup with the champions because of one lucky event.

My proposal was to have a "season" before Cup, then the bottom ranked teams based on season standings play for relegation right before Cup, and vise versa for challengers. Then Cup could be played like other pro sports tournaments, and we could have a true single season champ, rather than having our current "World Cup Champs" and the "2014 Season Champs."

Additionally the top seeds would get a first round bye or something to award their great season.
I like this idea a lot. I know if we can come up with an idea like this that implements how other sports championships are played it could make it easier for new people/common spectators to understand. I tried to explain the relegation to a few people the other day and they had similar questions.

What if someone has a lucky event while someone in the running can be knocked out due to bad luck? What happens to the points they compile over a season? They started pointing out problems and they were viable.
allout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 PM #60
BBongEd

BBongEd owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BBongEd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but teams who are relagated or promoted don't lose their series points. I don't know where all this talk of point issues is coming from, but there isn't any issue with the way the points are handled through out the series.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:15 PM #61
Zephyr-_z
Will Sparks

Zephyr-_z is playing at Living Legends VII
Zephyr-_z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Zephyr-_z has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zephyr-_z supports Empire
go Art Chaos!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 PM #62
rob1525

Annual Supporting Member
rob1525 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
rob1525 plays in the APPA beginner division
rob1525 supports DLX Technology
rob1525 supports Empire
Damian Ryan said something on FB about a terrible call by one of the worst refs in the PSP. Anyone know what he is talking about?
rob1525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 PM #63
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1525 View Post
Damian Ryan said something on FB about a terrible call by one of the worst refs in the PSP. Anyone know what he is talking about?
He's probably talking about the major on him that ended the game and gave the win to Revo.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.