Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 PM #1
Zac217

Bore size?

Ive learned the basics of bore sizes, but i cant figure out the most obvious question. Why are there different bore sizes if they are all .68 cal. I know ball expand in heat, but wouldnt just keeping them cool solve the problem?
Zac217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2014, 03:15 PM #2
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
paint is all different sizes. the ball is .68 but it could be .682 which would roll straight out of say a .688 barrel. the reason there are different sizes is because people want to be able to match paint to barrel to increase efficiency and consistency.
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:22 PM #3
bchu

bchu has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bchu has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It's that thousandth that makes a difference. When paintballs are manufactured, they're not all .680. Companies have to allow tolerances in their machines or they would never get any paint to us. That being said, we have to adjust our bore size according to the paint that we are using as well as the climate conditions.
bchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:26 PM #4
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
dreadmuppet is BST Trusted
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Not to mention if the manufacturer makes them smaller (but not so small they do not work in the gun) they save money of material.
REC BALL AND SCENARIO TEAM
IF I DO NOT SHOOT YOU
MY TEAMMATE WILL
eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 PM #5
bchu

>.< Didn't wanna say that paintball companies are blood sucking mosquitoes after profits but.... Dread hit the nail on the head. 1 mil (0.001 in) may not be much for 1 ball but if you multiply that by a million, you have enough to make ~2.5 cases of paint. O_O
Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 PM #6
Zac217

So if i buy the same paint everytime to the same field it should be ok? (In general). I live in NY and the huminity doesnt dramastically change, so if i were to buy the same brand, would i be ok?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:28 PM #7
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
Ish. They will tend to run semi consistent but every batch, and sometimes every case could be slightly different. But you're not likely to get drastic size differences in your situation. But they still could happen.

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
impulseballer42586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 PM #8
Zac217

Just wondering, would the balls in each bag be the same? Or could they be different? If it changes in the factory, could they be half one size and half another?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM #9
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
You'll get a stray ball here and there. But you'll notice a consistent average

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 AM #10
Zac217

So you should have every bore size and choose which one to use depending on the paint?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:49 AM #11
gamer565
*****es love cannons!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac217 View Post
So you should have every bore size and choose which one to use depending on the paint?
Ideally that's what you would want, but not everyone can go that route.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 AM #12
Zac217

Yeah, budget and i have a spyder mr5, i love it, but i need to get the adapter. I dropped a ball in my barrel and it got stuck. Do paintballs expand over time?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 AM #13
bchu

Yes, they most definitely do. I live in the South and I definitely notice the balls expand after just a few hours of play. You should definitely overbore your barrels. This means that you should find the bore size that the balls clear and then get a bore that's slightly bigger to account for swelling or any differences in the balls. Don't go crazy and get a .695 bore size when the ball is actually .679; it will cause you to lose accuracy in your shots. You want something that helps to straighten out any wobble in the ball path as it shoots down the barrel.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 AM #14
bchu

Quote:
Yeah, budget and i have a spyder mr5, i love it, but i need to get the adapter. I dropped a ball in my barrel and it got stuck. Do paintballs expand over time?
What kind of budget do you have? You should be able to snag 2-3 barrels that should meet your needs for a decent price on the barrel selling forum.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:30 AM #15
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchu View Post
Yes, they most definitely do. I live in the South and I definitely notice the balls expand after just a few hours of play. You should definitely overbore your barrels. This means that you should find the bore size that the balls clear and then get a bore that's slightly bigger to account for swelling or any differences in the balls. Don't go crazy and get a .695 bore size when the ball is actually .679; it will cause you to lose accuracy in your shots. You want something that helps to straighten out any wobble in the ball path as it shoots down the barrel.
I'm fairly certain tests have shown under boring is better... But that's a whole different topic

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Old 08-07-2014, 10:42 AM #16
bchu

Yes, you're right but it gets kinda dicey to underbore in GA where humidity makes it feel like swimming sometimes. Depending on where OP is from it could work.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:42 AM #17
Liam92

Liam92 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Liam92 plays in the APPA D3 division
Despite there being a proven change in performance based on bore size, you'll find after a number of years of playing that the difference it makes to how well you can actually shoot someone off the break or whatever is so minimal, that its often barely worth making a fuss over.

P.S. underboring gives better consistency and better efficiency than bore matching. overboring gives better consistence and poorer efficiency than bore matching (so matching paint to barrel is poorest choice). People speculate underboring increases number of barrel breaks but there is no comparable difference in the number of breaks between overbored and underbored barrels to prove this conclusively.
#16 Reading Entity
Liam92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 AM #18
Zac217

Well when I drop a ball in, it gets stuck, one broke when I tried getting it out. My bore is .689, but the balls are pretty old. I have a fair budget, I need the $50 afapter plus barrels. I don't want to go crazy considering I just bought the gun and I need to save more. What sizes should I get?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM #19
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Well when I drop a ball in, it gets stuck, one broke when I tried getting it out. My bore is .689, but the balls are pretty old. I have a fair budget, I need the $50 afapter plus barrels. I don't want to go crazy considering I just bought the gun and I need to save more. What sizes should I get?
well now wait a minute. the balls are old? What balls do you use on a regular basis? do you play at a field? get a new box of the balls you will use regularly and test with that. Then buy some barrels here on the BST forum
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:05 AM #20
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Understand that some paint will run very consistant and some won't. Get a ball sizer if you don't already have one and start measuring the paint you buy and you'll start to see patterns form as to what may be good paint and what may be bad paint.

I use to shoot Evil back in 2004-2006 when they had the yellow shell. At that time, they averaged .690 with a low of maybe .6885 to .691 meaning in an average case the smallest ball you'd see was just over .688 and the largest would be around .691. Recently I got a case of Evil with the silver shell and the spread went from .683 to .694. Since then I've gotten other cases of Evil where the spread wasn't so big but it still wasn't as tight as the cases I shot before.

I don't mean to pick on Evil as it is still pretty good paint but I use this to illustrate that when it comes to matching bore to paint (regardless of the school of throught you practice when it comes to this aspect of the sport) you have to always take a sample from the case and measure the balls in the sample (I usually do about 50-100) in order to get an idea of how the paint in that case runs both by average and by range. (.687 may be the average but the range may be .685 - .689)

I wouldn't get a new barrel just yet. You want to start by finding a good, consistant paint to shoot and then look for a decent barrel that will compliment it. The paint is far more important in how precise you are than your barrel.

If you shoot at a field that requires you to use field paint, measure out a sample from each of the next 2-3 cases you buy. If you buy different grades, sample out a case of each. Once you have an idea of what paint has the lowest range of sizes in it (meaning it's the most consistant) find it's average and then use that to select a proper barrel.

If you go to a BYOP field, you're going to do the same thing but here you will have a lot more paint to choose from usually. I'd probably try 2-4 brands before selecting one and finding a barrel that works well with it.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 AM #21
Liam92

Liam92 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Liam92 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
without getting in to the aerodynamics too much. air behind the ball is applying equal pressure on the full surface of that side of the paintball, and due to the spherical shape it is a very strong structure but if you tried poking it out with something small or sharp it would easily break (the same reason its really hard to crush an egg in your hand, but easy to break it on a pan).

As above, its not wise to use really old paint as it can become mishapen/soft/etc
#16 Reading Entity
Liam92 is offline   Reply With Quote