Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-05-2014, 03:29 PM #1
Dirty_H20

I'm new - Need help with Ion

Hi, I'm fairly new to paintball. I played once last summer with rentals, loved it so I bought a used Smart Parts Ion on eBay. The gun works well maybe 50% of the time, the other 50% of the time I pull the trigger and nothing happens. I changed the battery, no improvement. I messed with the board a lot trying to fix it, it seems worse now. To be honest, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person alive and I'd like to bring it somewhere to have it looked at. I'm on the seacoast in NH. The guys at OSG tried but I guess Ions aren't all that popular.
Dirty_H20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2014, 03:39 PM #2
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ions were almost a standard a few years ago. Tell us specifcally what is happening, what air tank are you using? how much pressure is in it?
what hopper are you using? Does it have batteries as well?
have you cleaned the gun and lubed it properly?
etc...

Try posting in the smart parts ion section here on pbnation as well those guys know a lot more than me.
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:42 PM #3
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
it could be the eyes are on and it isn't seeing the ball. try to turn them off and fire w/o paint. check the trigger to make sure it is allowing the micro switch to reset each time. also reset the board to factory settings
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:40 PM #4
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Sounds like a battery issue.
What kind are you using?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 PM #5
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
dreadmuppet is BST Trusted
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Are you cleaning and lubing the ram with DOW33 before you play? If not, do that.

Put your board back to stock settings while you are at it.
REC BALL AND SCENARIO TEAM
IF I DO NOT SHOOT YOU
MY TEAMMATE WILL
eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 PM #6
Dirty_H20

I have a Valken V-Max Elec. Hopper and an Empire Basic 48/3000psi HPA N2 Tank. I have used the gun twice and have never cleaned/lubed anything (Well, I cleaned the barrel...that's it). I use Energizer or Duracell batteries. I bought a new "eyes" but I'm hesitant to take the gun apart for fear of making it worse (although at this point it can't get much worse). My pressure gauge doesn't work, can't find a replacement.

Also posted in Smart Part Ion section.

Thank you for any/all help, I'm wicked bummed about this!

My trigger is missing a set screw, I ordered that today and I also ordered an Oring set.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:07 PM #7
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Replacing the gauge should be a priority.
If the pressure is set too high the solenoid could be having trouble coping with the force needed to cycle the gun.

This is the best website I've found for troubleshooting your Ion: http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/ion/

Good luck to you.
Mine needed quite a bit of work but I've got it running like a champ now.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM #8
Punisher068

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Replacing the gauge should be a priority.
If the pressure is set too high the solenoid could be having trouble coping with the force needed to cycle the gun.

This is the best website I've found for troubleshooting your Ion: http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/ion/

Good luck to you.
Mine needed quite a bit of work but I've got it running like a champ now.
Legit post and link.
Don't ever run an Ion over 200psi or you can damage the solenoid,if you're gauges needle is maxxed out it probably happened already.Hopefully it's only been shot a few times like this and the solenoid isn't damaged
Any gauge with around a 400psi range will work,most proshops will have them on hand or get one here
http://www.hustlepaintball.com/cgi-bin/hustle.pl
Recommend getting a full oring rebuild and breaking it all down too.If you don't have the manuel you can find them online.
Also check the battery solder connections at the board to see if the connection is solid
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:27 PM #9
Dirty_H20

I'll get a gauge ASAP. It reads and has always read 0
Old 08-05-2014, 05:28 PM #10
Dirty_H20

I can't open the link for some reason
Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 PM #11
cripticmissle

Uhm can someone sent me pictures of the field cause all i see is a road on the google map
cripticmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 PM #12
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The one that jumps out to me is the eyes. Either the eyes are malfunctioning or the balls are not being fed all the way into the breach. Clean out your breach, check you detents and then try using your ion in "eyes-off" mode. If its the standard board i think you just hold down the trigger as you power it on (its been awhile since I've had an ion so I may not be right).
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 PM #13
stephenn82

stephenn82 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
stephenn82 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
As they said, get a good reliable gauge, get it set right, about 180psi, should drop to 140-145 when recharging. if lower, set your timings to stock, you dont need 17bps in an ion. it runs very well at 13 or so, pretty reliable. if you need help setting up your gun, check out warpig. his site has TONS of good info. Check here for a calculator, and how to set every setting.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tech...arts/ion_calc/
Virtue OLED board w/ grips
"Good intentions and kind words are great, but your actions define who you are."
Me
stephenn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 PM #14
stephenn82

stephenn82 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
stephenn82 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_crunch View Post
The one that jumps out to me is the eyes. Either the eyes are malfunctioning or the balls are not being fed all the way into the breach. Clean out your breach, check you detents and then try using your ion in "eyes-off" mode. If its the standard board i think you just hold down the trigger as you power it on (its been awhile since I've had an ion so I may not be right).
To turn eyes off, just press and hold for a second on teh power button. they should go off. Thats how the one that is sitting in my garage is. My buddy's kid owns it, first gun, he loves to play!
Virtue OLED board w/ grips
"Good intentions and kind words are great, but your actions define who you are."
Me
stephenn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:24 AM #15
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
First and foremost: Read the manual, front to back, and don't touch the gun again until you do.

http://www.p8ntbox.com/manuels/Ion.pdf

The ion is a very simple marker, although disassembly may seem overwhelming the first time you do it on your own. If I were you, I'd place your parts orders through the local proshop and use that as a pretense to getting help learning how to care for your marker. If the tech has been around long enough to have experience with ions, he can probably tell you what aftermarket parts may be installed and how those should influence your board settings.

As mentioned above, replace the gauge immediately. Inconsistent performance despite having a fresh battery can be an indication of improper pressure settings, among other things. Of all the settings you can configure incorrectly, pressure is the only one that can actually cause permanent damage to the marker. Having a gauge that accurately tells you what you're sending to the solenoid is essential to troubleshooting. I wouldn't mess with anything until you've read the manual and replaced the gauge.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 PM #16
pirohick

I agree wholeheartedly with eforce: read the manual. It's not that long of a read, assuming it's the same manual that came with my ion back when I bought it.
Beyond that, I'm concerned that you state that you've never cleaned/lubed anything besides the barrel. An ion should be taken apart, cleaned, and lubed after every day you take it out. It's not a Tippmann, so you can't just squirt some oil in it every once in a while and ignore it. (On that note, NEVER put oil in an ion - you need a dow33 lube).

So, here's what you need to do: replace that broken gauge, clean and lube the bolt (you'll have to remove the eyes to do this, so put the new ones in), put in a fresh battery, turn the pressure all the way down, then slowly turn the pressure up and see how it works. Depending on what has been upgraded, you'll be looking for pressure between 120 PSI and 185 PSI to get you to 280 FPS.
pirohick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM #17
Dirty_H20

I ordered a gauge, a new complete screw set (am missing trigger set screw), a 3x Oring kit and the Smart Parts grease. I'm not going to touch anything until I get it all.

It seems weird that sometimes I pull the trigger and it fires and sometimes I pull the trigger and nothing happens at all. Hopefully I fix it when I pull it apart, clean it, lube it, install the new gauge and replace the eyes. I don't need to shoot a crazy bps just looking to have paint come out (straight) when I pull the trigger.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-06-2014, 03:25 PM #18
Ahura_Mazda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirohick View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with eforce: read the manual. It's not that long of a read, assuming it's the same manual that came with my ion back when I bought it.
Beyond that, I'm concerned that you state that you've never cleaned/lubed anything besides the barrel. An ion should be taken apart, cleaned, and lubed after every day you take it out. It's not a Tippmann, so you can't just squirt some oil in it every once in a while and ignore it. (On that note, NEVER put oil in an ion - you need a dow33 lube).

So, here's what you need to do: replace that broken gauge, clean and lube the bolt (you'll have to remove the eyes to do this, so put the new ones in), put in a fresh battery, turn the pressure all the way down, then slowly turn the pressure up and see how it works. Depending on what has been upgraded, you'll be looking for pressure between 120 PSI and 185 PSI to get you to 280 FPS.
Do this and reset your board to factory settings as well since you were changing board values.
Ahura_Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:19 PM #19
Dirty_H20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahura_Mazda View Post
Do this and reset your board to factory settings as well since you were changing board values.
Will do. I printed out the manual and the Ion Timing Guide from warpig.com. As soon as my parts arrive I'll tackle it. Seems easy enough.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:21 PM #20
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
dreadmuppet is BST Trusted
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_H20 View Post
I have used the gun twice and have never cleaned/lubed anything (Well, I cleaned the barrel...that's it).
Then I repeat myself. Clean and lube the bolt.

Ion's are spoolies and require regular maintenance. Your issue sounds exactly like what happens when the bolt is not properly lubed.
REC BALL AND SCENARIO TEAM
IF I DO NOT SHOOT YOU
MY TEAMMATE WILL
eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM #21
Dirty_H20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_crunch View Post
The eyes are def not working properly. When in vision mode the gun thinks there's a ball in it when there is not. I'm fairly sure I've been using it with vision mode off but not 100%.

I even replaced the eyes last night, still thinks something is in there. I felt and inspected the detents but I'm not sure what tell me they might be good or bad.